General Discussion Race Reports! » Brewhouse Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brewhouse Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Duluth, Minnesota
United States
--
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 42s
Overall Rank = 167/357
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke at the hotel at 5AM. Ate some yogurt & granola, cheese, & Vitamin Water. Stretched lightly, got dressed, checked out of the hotel. Arrived at the race at 6:30.
Event warmup:

Set up TA and then rode for about 15 minutes. Felt good, though a little cool. Walked a bit to settle my nerves and get focused. Ran into Kathleen (Autumn's Mom!), Casey (Androgenie), and a friend from work. Tried to eat my usual PBJ but my stomach was not up for it. Went to the pre-race meeting, then swam for a few minutes to get used to the water before lining up for my wave. I was actually shivering (in a full wetsuit!) while waiting for my wave.
Swim
  • 15m 47s
  • 587 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am completely convinced this swim was longer than advertised. The conditions were perfect and there were a lot of really slow times. I honestly think this was one of my better swims as far as effort, sighting, drafting, and passing people. Heck, I was even aware that I was kicking and not just dragging my legs! So despite the seemingly-slow time, I am pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Swim and swim lots!
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I had a long way to run with my bike since my TA was very close to the swim exit, so I'm sure that slowed me down. I did have my wetsuit stick at my ankles (and thought, "Hmm, Bodyglide would have been nice.") but I'm not sure that slowed me down too much. Biggest issue is the time it takes me to get on my bike and get moving! I need an entire week (month!) of mounting & dismounting practice.

Learn to get on my bike faster!
Bike
  • 33m 40s
  • 10.3 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I was convinced, based on my computer, that I was going to come in at about 19.5 mph. At the 5 mile mark, I was at 19.9, so how I got to 18.4 I do not know. The only thing I can figure is that when I reset my computer it was after I finally got on my bike & started moving, which cost me. The ride itself was good. I was never passed and I passed a lot. I really like passing when climbing:). I felt good about how I rode the hills and my overall effort was steady. I just really thought I would break 19...

Learn to get on my bike! Dang. I just can't figure out why this is so hard for me! I am having huge issues getting clipped in, even with my new speedplays. I am wondering if my cleat angle is not right for the angle my foot comes down the pedal. I'm getting tired of this clipping in issue.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Long way to run with bike. There are two lanes in the TA - one for in and one for out. There was a woman in front of me who was obviously trying to find her rack and she slowed down but I couldn't get by her, so I probably would have run a bit faster without her there. Otherwise, it was fine. This transition is such that runners have to run back toward the swim exit and around a cone before heading out to the run course; it makes sure everyone runs the same distance between the bike in and run out.

Not much.
Run
  • 25m 33s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was first time I have ever had legs to run in a race and I felt really good. Apparently feeling good does not equate to fast, but at least it's a start.

Run. Run lots.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some food & drink, watched others finish, chatted a bit with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The little stuff that isn't so little, like learning to mount & dismount my bike when racing. Getting better at transitions. Getting more bricks into my schedule so I know what to do when I have legs to run!

Event comments:

I like this race but it's quite a drive. I've done it 3 years and while the competitive part of me wants to go back and do it better, I've seen the road deteriorate over three years and I don't know that I want to subject myself to more of the same when there are other races closer and with better course conditions.

Last updated: 2007-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:47 | 587 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 193/357
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Riptide full suit
Course: Straight out from shore, left turn parallel to shore, and back in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:40 | 10.3 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 120/357
Wind: None
Course: Loop around Pike Lake. First half is pretty straight with a couple of long hills. Second half has a few 90 degree turns and several hills. The road is very rough for more than half the course and you have to pick your path pretty carefully.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:33 | 02.5 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/20
Overall: 227/357
Course: Out and back, mostly a long hill going out and downhill coming back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Brewhouse Triathlon - Short Course

2007-08-06 10:12 AM
in reply to: #914619

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: RE: Brewhouse Triathlon - Short Course
Good race, Kris! (I'm also a Kristin, i not e, thanks!)

I know what you mean about the roads deteriorating. If I wasn't within an hour and a half, I would not do this race again... and I love Duluth. They have some serious work to do. I can go an hour and a half in the other direction and find a good race with better roads.

One thought for you... You may really want to consider leaving your shoes clipped to your bike on the mount to speed your transitions, especially if you're having clip in problems. I've been doing it this year and it's really speedy and doesn't take that much practice time before you feel good about it. A friend told me to just start leaving my shoes on the bike All the time, so that every time I start a ride I have to get up and moving and then get my shoes on, and it really worked. You could have it down before your next race, I promise. (Of course, this is a lot easier if you have tri shoes; if not, sorry for the wasted space!)

It was especially helpful for a race like this where you had to run in your bike shoes for so far before mounting. I passed 2 people in transition, solely because it's easier to run barefoot than in bike shoes.

I'm glad you felt like the swim was long, too. I had some serious sighting problems, to be sure, but I was shocked at my time. My pool 100s are typically 1:45-1:50, and I usually add 10 seconds for OWS conditions, but this was unreal.
2007-08-06 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Looks like you had a pretty nice race. Well done. It was nice to visit after the race. They should have totally re-rolled the 100s for the prizes. You or I would have won something, I'm sure of it!
2007-08-06 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Nice race, Kris! Congratulations!
2007-08-07 2:44 PM

User image

Elite
Nice report Kris.  Happy to hear you enjoyed yourself.  The roads are what has kept me away from this race.  I'm all ready prone to pinch flats, no reason to push my luck.
2007-08-07 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Top half over all. Dang near top quarter of your age group and just shy of sub 10:00 miles. You have got to be happy about this one.

Judging from your report, you could have probably pushed the run just a bit more, but it is very hard to know exactly how hard to push until you completely wipe yourself out, by then it is too late. leapdog always tells me that if I don't puke, I didn't run fast enough.

If you have tri shoes, try to learn how to start with them already clipped in.

2007-08-07 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Great job...from what I saw of the swim times, it does look like the course was a tad long...nice pace on the ride.  The other way to make sure that your legs feel better for the run is to pratice a lot of bricks.  It won't make your legs less tired, but it will make it easier for you to run on tired legs.
2007-08-08 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Great race Kris!  Sounds like quite a few of this season's race swims have been on the long side...

Sorry to hear about the clipping in issues.  I really need to practice keeping my shoes on the pedals...but I'm not about to try it right before Turtleman...

That's a great feeling to know you've got something left for the run...congrats on a great race...

2007-08-08 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice job!!
2007-08-08 5:22 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Great race!  It couldn't have been that bad to be 6th on the swim - everyone had the same distance to overcome and then 4th on the bike!!!!

Keep it going strong!! 

2007-08-13 4:24 PM
in reply to: #918847

User image

Denver, CO
Great race! I finished just one spot ahead of you at 1:19:40. I too am convinced the swim is long and bike section is really tough to ride. Both seem to be common themes for the race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brewhouse Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed