Setup, Inc
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 48s
Overall Rank = 75/94
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 didn't sleep hardly at all kept staring at the clock.
Drank 2 bottles of water and some gatorade, pb&j on whole wheat english muffin, ate a banana before swim. Had the race jitters pretty badly my husband tried to make me feel better. I had a tough time focusing on what I was about to do.
Event warmup:

We arrived at the race site really early and I got bodymarked & my timing chip and then I left my husband & kids in the van so I could get my transition area setup and just get my head in the race.
Swim
  • 31m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Just about everything. I need to work on not getting anxious and calming myself down. My swim in the pool has improved a lot and I've worked on my stroke now I need to really concentrate on just focusing on where I want to go and not worrying about getting kicked or kicking other people.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

This was the first time I wore a wetsuit in a race so it took me a little bit to get the wetsuit off. I definitely need to practice transitions before the next race. I actually did not practice at all this time and as you can see I paid for it.

Everything, practice,practice,practice!

Very Very Bad!
Bike
  • 1h 20m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I kept my HR at about 180 to pace myself since I needed to have enough energy for the run. I could've biked faster but I was afraid of using all my energy and then not having enough. I ate or rather sucked down a gel after about 10 min on the bike with some water.

In my training I need to get a better idea of what my race pace should be. I don't want to go too slow or too fast and run out of energy. I feel I could've put more energy into the bike portion since that is usually my strongest sport. I think I held back a lot.
Transition 2
  • 02m 23s

Practice transitions!
Run
  • 1h 08m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out the first 3 miles running for 6 minutes walking for 2 minutes. Then I hit mile 4 and I felt really good and was in a good steady pace for myself so I ran the rest of the way.

In my next training phase I am going to pick a training plan that is run focused. I need to work on my running. I also found I can run further than I thought. I think a lot of it is mental for me. I'm afraid of ending up with an injury and then not being able to do anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Big mistake I finished stopped and went to see my husband & kids and completely forgot about doing any stretching. There was a lot going on and I was talking and then getting my stuff together. My husband wanted to go since he was getting ansy. I'd like to hang out longer after a race with everybody he always wants to leave right away, it drives me crazy!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just need more training time. I just started training in Jan/Feb so I'm not going to beat myself up over this. I feel pretty good that I am where I'm at right now.

Event comments:

I thought they were supposed to have some food tents after the race but I'm not sure if I just didn't see them or if they weren't there at all. Beautiful race site really nice lake definitely do this one next year with a hopefully much better race time!

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:07 | 1640 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 63/94
Performance: Below average
When I first started out I was very anxious and did not get into a good pace. I didn't start feeling good about it until I was heading toward the end. Right before swimming under the bridge the water temp fell by 10 degrees, WOW! I was really trying to swim fast through this part and get out of the water. Trying to get onto the dock was a little tricky there was no ladder and there was a guy that was supposed to be helping that was just standing there.
Suit: wetsuit sleeveless
Course: Big rectangle and swim under the bridge where the lake flows into a river
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:05 | 24.85 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 58/94
Performance: Average
Kept my HR at about 180
Wind: None
Course: First 1-3 mile hill after that pretty much flat then last 3 miles hill great course overrall
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:23
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:08:11 | 06.21 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 86/94
Performance: Average
Kept my HR between 178-180
Course: First 3 miles gradual uphill turnaround then last 3 miles gradual downhill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
SC
Subject: Lake Logan Triathlon

2007-08-06 7:33 PM
in reply to: #915352

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Lake Logan Triathlon
Great job!  You have come a long way since Jan., you should be very proud. 
2007-08-06 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go Mel I am so proud of you!

GREAT swimming time YOU GO GIRL!

I hear you about the running thing! We BOTH should do this!

Heather
2007-08-06 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job on your first oly! Your bike time was VERY fast and the whole race looked great! It is nerve racking each time you try a new distance, but just think, that distance is now behind you.
Z
2007-08-06 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Way to go Mel!
2007-08-07 4:09 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

YAY Mel!  Oly down....what's next?   

It's hard to have races with family there....it's hard on the kids, the spouse....and then it's hard on you.  I've been there, so I know what you mean!  and then you feel guilty.  UGH!  There's no win! 

You did awesome, totally kicked butt.  I am SO proud of you!

2007-08-08 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Way to go Mel....Great job!  It was nice finally getting to meet you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan Triathlon Rss Feed