EndorFun
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 49m 48s
Overall Rank = 365 F/475 F
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

We camped at nearby Loon Pond overnight, so the pre-race drive was fairly short, but still ran into race day traffic. Thankfully, a spectacular sunrise over Lake Winnipesaukee also greeted us. See the photos below on Flickr for a sense of how it looked. http://www.flickr.com/photos/47033088@N00/sets/72157601561990830/
Event warmup:

Ate 2 bananas in the car, 1 gel in the t-area set-up. After that I suited up and walked to the beach, dove in gracefully, took long, easy strokes and just relaxed. Starting wave 11 of 12 was a little more calming than I'd expected. I was able to chat with Matthew, get lots of pre-race hugs and kisses, and then calmly cross the starting mat when the time came.
Swim
  • 47m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was much calmer than last year's. I thought I would've gone faster, but didn't gain much time because I probably swam an extra .2 miles -- That's not the way to improve one's swim time!
What would you do differently?:

Sight more, Draft less. I must've chosen the feet of the lost to follow today because I kept sighting on the tetrahedrons (sp?) but ended up far to the outside of the course. Kayakers were visible on my left shoulder on every straight away, and that's not a good sign. Plus I had to swim back in from the far left edge to exit at the beach area. Ugh!
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers made most of T1 easy, but mounting the bike was tricky today. My velcro'd on bike pump under the top tube slipped to the side, and my back wheel also seemed very under powered, so I stopped to fix the pump and check the tire. Lost about 20 seconds there, which isn't much in the big picture, but didn't bode well for the ride.

Secure my frame pump differently and Check pressure on race day morning, which is something I usually do but didn't do today.
Bike
  • 3h 34m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I had 2 mechanical issues today:
1. My darn frame pump kept slipping and almost falling out into my bottles. This was annoying and dangerous as it was making me come of out aero, reach down and try to better secure it. I'd stand up out of the saddle, it would slip and I'd have to sit again. Finally, after about 30 mins of this nonsense, I got it secured in a slightly cock-eyed position that would at least hold over most bumps and allowed me to get out of the saddle. However, this pump issue soon became the least of my worries.

2. I started to feel fine and was making good time, but things went bad with my L-cleat at about mile 10. I was cruising up a hill when my L-foot slipped out to the side and got stuck. I freed it and tried to re-insert the cleat to the pedal, but it wouldn't go. I tried again. I kept seated on the incline just trying to click in again and again. My cadence dropped, speed fell to less than 8mph and I was passed by two A ladies - Athenas! I knew I had to just get to the top of the hill.

I decided to stop and look to see what was going on, then coast down.
I looked down under my left shoe and saw a *bolt missing* from my cleat, so the SPD head was just swinging side-to-side. Great. This sucks. I had a half-functional cleat. By tilting my foot out to the side with the toe pointed down, I could almost get the cleat to the horizontal position where it would engage with the pedal again. This was tricky. I spent a few minutes trying to get it right, and the Athenas were downhill and out of sight by the time I got rolling again.

With the cleat rather bungled, at this point my mantra became "I'm doing the best I can with what I've got... I'm doing the best I can with what I've got..." Every hill became a struggle to stay on the pedals and every time my cadence got up above 85 I would shift to a harder gear just because I couldn't trust my shoes/cleats to stay on the pedals at higher cadence. I had a few "fly-offs" which thankfully didn't cause any crashes, but my situation didn't improve. I could only maintain 15mph as my avg overall speed (though I did hit 45mph while coasting downhill in aero --yup it was a hill course, just like last year).

This situation of tentative pedal/cleat connection lasted through mile 45 or 50 when something made my foot slip off again, and this time I couldn't get it back onto the pedal's center at all. My shoe was just sliding all over the place. Thankfully the course was mostly downhill at this point, and so I entered T2, so glad to be off the bike with a pump still attached and pedals still intact. Sorta...

1. Get a better frame pump set-up by A. (less likely) drilling new pump holder holes into the frame or B. (more likely) using one of the bottle cages for a pump mount as I do on training rides but also getting a center-aerobar mounted bottle system inplace so I don't have to sacrifice extra fluids.

2. Get new cleats and don't rely on old bolts (as I had) to bolt old cleats to new shoes. I'd only had the new shoes for 2 weeks prior to the race day, and the test/training rides went fine, but the cleats really were too worn and the bolts to rusty to rely upon them for my big race. I won't be so cheap next time, and will get new cleats ASAP!
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I looked down at my cycling shoes as I put on my NB runners, and there was *no cleat* at all on the L shoe anymore. Gone, completely. I let out an audible "HA! That explains it!" in reference to why I couldn't get connected on the last 5-10 miles and was fighting slip-off every bit of the way in. I'm sure the T-area spectators had no idea what I was talking (to myself) about.

I've never been so glad to leave my bike shoes and head out for the run! Usually the ride is my favorite part of the race, but not today...
Run
  • 2h 22m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off happy to be done with the bike, sure that nothing else terrible could happen now, and I was right. The run was fine, but I never got into a fast stride and kept a reasonable pace in Lap 1. By Lap 2 my pace lagged a little, but Matthew also ran with me for support, and that was nice. On the first lap I had roughly 10 min miles, but on the second lap I started to lag into the 11-12 min miles, and was walking every aid station. I could've done a lot better.

I tried to stay tough and keep my head in the game completely, and I guess I did my best, but was amazed at how slow the last 5 miles were. I just wanted them over with!

I think drank too much water/gatorade/flat coke and wound up having to pee at mile 10, which was distracting. I stopped at the porta jon, felt like the tiny green plastic room was swaying all around me, and could barely stand up again when done. Note to self: drink less and spit out half of it. Just wet the wistle, not soak the throat.

I'd have trained more 8+ mile runs, drank less fluid, and found a new mantra to chant while running. I had to dig deep, but didn't go deep enough I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Done, wow, can't stand up very well, might as well sit in an ice (melted) bath at the kiddie pool. Ouch, that's cold. I think I have a saddle sore and some serious chafing around the side of my knees where it kept meeting the loose pump and the flapping race number secured around my top tup. Everything hurts. I stagger to food. I get ice cream for him, cheez pizza and veggies for me, and I start to pink up.

Then I get cold. Really chilled and my chest tightens so I can't breathe very well. He walks me to the massage tent (no room, no more signups allowed) and then the medic tent (lots of open cots, warm blankets, bliss!). The medic put a blood oxygen analyzer on my finger tip and it shows slightly low O2 saturation -- 85% vs. 98-100%. Really? Odd. Brings a little O2 tank and mask over, all very calmly. I'm shivering. I can't stop shivering but try to take deep breaths. The medic then sees that the anlayzer has slipped on my finger tip, maybe due to my fingernail, so switches fingers. Now he says my O2 levels are fine and probably were fine all along. The fingernail may have interferred with a proper reading!

OK, then. I stay to warm up a little longer, maybe another 5 mins, and then change into warm, dry clothes...ahh, not that's much better. Much better indeed. I grab a few more free diet pepsi's, and we hit the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously, the bike issues were huge, and I'll get those fixed. Swim sighting and stroke really needs work, too. But the real limiter was the run and the distance above 8 miles. I've GOT TO NAIL THAT in my training if I expect to nail it on race day. All the mental stamina in the world can't deny legs that are unaccustomed to going that distance on a regular basis, esp. after a brutal, hilly 3+hr bike.

Event comments:

I still love Timberman, and I'll be back.

Last updated: 2006-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:11 | 2112 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 1317/475 F
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:34:15 | 56 miles | 15.68 mile/hr
Overall: 1204/475 F
(to be added from cyclecomputer)
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly and familiar since I've ridden it 3x in the last 2 yrs, so no real surprises. It did feel like I was one of the last 100 riders out there because my swim wave was so late. I didn't like how few people I saw on the return side of the out-and-back course; it was unnerving.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:22:13 | 13.1 miles | 10m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 0/475 F
Course: Double loop mostly shaded but not entirely flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

Lovely day for a race!  I just wish I'd remembered to sunscreen up -- the clouds parted too quickly and I got quite the burn from the longer than planned ride and run....

Edited by SunnyS 2007-08-20 2:16 PM

2007-08-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #932694

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Nice work staying with it through such a rough bike leg!
2007-08-20 3:03 PM
in reply to: #932738

User image

Master
Portland, ME

You climbed and decended those hill without a working left cleat? That's hardcore!

Great job on the race. I love that picture with you in your wetsuit with the mountain in the background.

2007-08-20 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Sorry about the cleat issue.  You did well regardless. 

Long runs are tough. 

Nice pictures, too

2007-08-20 5:42 PM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Way to gut it Sunny, Congrats on a great effort.  Nice pics too!
2007-08-20 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Excellent effort!   Nice job sticking with it even with the cleat issue

2007-08-21 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Wow, that is tough - getting through that bike leg with the cleat problem like that. Great job!

(I swiped a few extra "free" diet pepsis too - I figure that we earned them).

2007-08-21 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Nice job keeping a good attitude despite the hiccups!  Hope you're well on your way to recovery!  :  )
2007-08-21 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Wow, what a day!  I'm sorry you were plagued by troubles, but way to go gutting it out through them!  Good job, good race.  

2007-08-22 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Way to overcome adversity on the bike!  It was plenty hard even with two good cleats!
2007-08-22 11:04 AM

User image

Expert

Great job, especially on the bike with your cleat problem. I saw you go by me on the run (yes, you were the only 6' blonde , plus I was able to see the first 3 letters of your name on your running number). You looked great; like you were running with a lot of strength and confidence.

Congratulations on a great race!

Anthony

2007-08-22 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

Way to persevere! You did great and as always, likely learned a little more about yourself along the way! 

Congrats!

2007-08-22 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Great job.  I can't imagine climbing those hills at the end without a proper cleat.  Way to overcome adversity!
2007-08-22 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
I have to agree with everyone, sticking through that bike (and those hills!) with the issues you had is extremely admirable and a feat in and of itself.  The pics are great- you look so happy!  Congrats, Sunny!
2007-08-22 9:15 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

CONGRATS Sunny, you definitely did the best you could after the cleat issue. Too bad we didn't get to see you to say hello, although I *think* I saw you on the run.

Good job!

2007-08-23 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Wow, that was some race you had!

The first thing I am going to do when I get home is to check my cleats!  I am not sure I will take it as well as you did or maybe you just edited out all the bad words

You did awesome! Things did not go your way but you still overcame them and finished in style, you can be really proud of how you did

2007-08-23 7:08 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Found this thread from the race pics in the clyde/athena forum.  Great pics and great RR.  Although a long way from the race you envisioned, sticking with it through the hiccups makes this an inspirational RR.  I know a lot of people that would have quit with the mechanicals... looks like that thought didn't even cross your mind... and still a quite respectable AG ranking!
2007-08-24 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Thanks everyone, and as I see other racer's times I feel more and more lousy about mine.  But hey, those are the breaks.  Not everything goes as planned.  I just had to do what I had to do to finish.

On the up side, the race day photographers got a few fun shots of me (and a random lady) running out of the swim, biking through the course, and running across that sweet, sweet finish line:

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=15294&ID=39079587&FROM=photos&BIB=1828

2007-08-25 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

i was cringing the whole time i read about your mechanical issues...!

congratulations on finishing a difficult race - and i'd take your run split on a half mary distance any day!

great pictures - and great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed