General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Psychological Fallacy of HRMs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-30 2:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: The Psychological Fallacy of HRMs

Hey everyone!

So I got a HRM for my birthday from my girlfriend (who surprisingly doesn't complain about my Triathlon addiction, but instead furthers it) and I have been using it for every bike and run workout since I got it (About 2 weeks ago now).

Now, I haven't tested my LT by doing the 30 minute fast run/bike and taking the average HR of the last 20 minutes or anything, but thanks to a little HR training I did while I was still swimming competitively, I have a pretty good idea of my max HR and Zones.

Back to the topic at hand, I've been doing tempo runs/interval runs/easy runs and it seems like I am limiting myself SO much that sometimes I feel like I'm just pounding away and gaining no fitness. Psychologically, it feels as if I continue to train according to my HRM that my pace will always be long and slow (minus interval workouts, where I've seen my HR as high as 212). This comes as I am training for a half-marathon on September 23rd.

Anyone have any advice on this?? I just need to hear how fitness is increased through using HR zones etc. and if I will get faster by staying in my tempo/aerobic zone for long runs etc.

Thanks!
Derek

2007-08-30 2:42 PM
in reply to: #947511

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: The Psychological Fallacy of HRMs
I'm in no way an expert on this but it is my understanding that HR training will help your body train in Aeroic zones more efficiently, by building your overall aerobic fitness. I know that if your HR gets too high training you will stop working Aerobic zones and begin and working in anaerobic zones which will only increase your ability to work in Anerobic Zones, that is what speed workouts are for, you won't be holding those levels for the Half Mary most likely.

You should also find your HR zones for Running instead of swimming. Your Max HR for Running will not be the same as swimming. It could be that if you are using your swimming Z3 you may only be in Z1 for running. It that case you may be just pounding away and not quite gaining what you wanted.

Most people I know had to slow down to train with a HRM. I found that when I slowed down my training, while I may have felt like I could have pushed harder at the end of workouts I saw my times improving and I felt like I wasn't working as hard. I didn't notice this change until 3 or 4 months after I made myself slow down a little but when I did I saw my 10K time drop 2 mintues in under 4 weeks and ran my fastest ever 5k around the same time.

Good luck!!
2007-08-30 3:08 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

You’ve haven’t done any testing to define bike/run training zones, yet you think your training zones might seem too easy based on Max HR? Wow, now that’s shocking!

Until you do testing for each, you won’t know whether you are training at the right intensities or not.

2007-08-30 3:44 PM

I traded my Polar S520 up to an S625x.

The 520, had me running 5k's between 93 and 97% of my age calculated max HR. I pretty much ignored it since I could carry on a conversation up to about 91%

The 625x has this max heart rate test built into it. Easy test that takes no real time or effort. Now, when my HR gets above 85%, it feels like real work.

Conclusion: You gotta compare how you are feeling to what it is telling you.
2007-08-30 3:45 PM

User image

Champion

Ignore

Max

HeartRate

2007-08-30 3:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

I can only give my experience with the HRM and I would agree with the statement above that it took 3-4 mo's to notice.  I ran my first half in 2:10 with only training as I knew how.  Run a distance and run as fast as I think I can sustain.  Hard work would equal good times ect... The next year or rather right after the race I got a HRM and decided to train with it.  When I set my zones, my pace for Z1 & Z2 were like almost walking to me.  But I made a commitment to train the next year this way and stuck to it.  After 4 months I ran my PB 5K.  The next year when I ran my half I knocked 18 min's off my time.  Part of this can be explained as a culimation of several factors.  I did run more because I wanted to improve but it allowed my body to not be beaten up and such allowed me to run more. 

I never would of believed running slower would make me faster but I do think it works.  You still have to have your interval runs, your tempo runs ect...so you aren't always running slow.  It just forces you to take a day for a LSD run and actually be a LSD run.  With time my pace had quickened to the point where my LSD run wasn't walking anymore but a very nice pace at Z1 & Z2 ect...

Don't know if that helps...Good luck!

2007-08-30 4:40 PM

Elite

DerekWL - 2007-08-30 1:13 PM 

I have been using it for every bike and run workout since I got it (About 2 weeks ago now). 

sometimes I feel like I'm just pounding away and gaining no fitness.

two weeks is not nearly long enough to draw that conclusion

Do the LT tests -> Set your zones appropriately -> Then give it several MONTHS before you dismiss HRM-based training as worthless

2007-08-30 6:09 PM
in reply to: #947800

User image

Sensei
Sin City
ScottoNM - 2007-08-30 2:40 PM

DerekWL - 2007-08-30 1:13 PM 

I have been using it for every bike and run workout since I got it (About 2 weeks ago now). 

sometimes I feel like I'm just pounding away and gaining no fitness.

two weeks is not nearly long enough to draw that conclusion

Do the LT tests -> Set your zones appropriately -> Then give it several MONTHS before you dismiss HRM-based training as worthless

Agreed 100%.

I felt EXACTLY the same as the OP. I started using the Phil Maffetone theory on HRZ's when I got my first HR monitor. This system is advocated by Mike Pigg and Mark Allen - who better to attest than world class triathletes? Anyway, I couldn't even WALK up a hill and keep my HR in the right zone. I wanted to train, not just walk around. So, I dismissed it after a couple months and found my LT through testing and found that my HR zones were about 10 BPM higher than suggested by this method. At least high enough to feel like I'm actually doing something without over-training.

Now, after training for almost a year specificaly for triathlons, I can see the benefits of slower paced training. For example, in the past I could barely run a 12:00 mile at a HR of 150. Now I can run a 10:00 mile at 147. It DOES work. Just have to stick to it.

As for the Maffetone theory, I think now that it may work for elite athletes who have such amazing aerobic capacity that they can perform at a higher pace and still keep the HR down. For some people, just stading up after laying down on the couch could put their HR too high. What do those people do? Just stand up a couple times a day?

I'm now a LT based zones convert. Any max HR, 220-age, or 180-age theory is crap to me. I have tried them in the past, and they were not nearly as effective as the LT method.
2007-08-30 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Arghhhhh!!! I think people are misunderstanding me!!

I am DEFINITELY not dismissing the HRM as an essential training tool. Definitely definitely definitely not.

I'm just saying that even though I haven't gotten my LT tests done, that I'm trying to make use of it. Now I know some of you are screaming blue murder because I used max heart rate as a foundation for HR training, but you can't say that there are many books/coaches that say to completely ignore it. Given, I haven't read the triathlete's training bible, and don't know too much about RPE etc., I just have noticed that many books advocate using max HR to train.

I'm sorry about my newbie-ishness, but gotta learn someway hey

Thanks!
Derek

PS: I'm booking a LT test for early next week!
2007-08-30 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
It probably didn't help that you tiltled your post with the word fallacy. That implies a non-truth, so try and understand peoples reactions.
2007-08-30 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Fair enough

Sorry for the confusion, but I'd venture a guess and say people figured out that this was a PERSONAL problem once they actually read it, not a problem with ALL heart rate training, by any means.

Apologies for the confusing title!

2007-08-31 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

I'm not a big fan of HR training, but I have been tested. my HRM cannot guide me any better than I can guide myself. If you feel like you are running too slow, then I can assure you, you are. I know several people who train via HR and have made little to no progress as far as getting stronger and faster.

But, get tested, learn your zones, and give it a chance. It may work for you..

Frankly, I agree with the title of you post. HR training is a Psychological Fallacy.. at least for me.

2007-08-31 9:10 AM
in reply to: #948348

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
atl_runner - 2007-08-31 9:05 AM

I'm not a big fan of HR training, but I have been tested. my HRM cannot guide me any better than I can guide myself. If you feel like you are running too slow, then I can assure you, you are. I know several people who train via HR and have made little to no progress as far as getting stronger and faster.

But, get tested, learn your zones, and give it a chance. It may work for you..

Frankly, I agree with the title of you post. HR training is a Psychological Fallacy.. at least for me.

Weird... I train at easy pace (both pace or HR) and I continue to improve AND getting faster... maybe people don't improve cuz they don’t train consistent or enough and rather blame it on their training approach or HRM?

2007-08-31 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

It could be argued, and is probable, that you get faster as a result of quality training, Tempo, Intervals, etc. Not as a result of staying in Zone 1 or low 2 for a long run. It could also be argued that the people I know who are not improving, do not do this type of quality training in order to get faster.

In the end, all a HRM is, is data that people use to guide what they do. Some use that data to their advantage, and for some it becomes a crutch. I'm not saying HRM's are bad, or evil, I'm just saying that they are not the holy grail for training athletes. Also, if the athlete has a coach, that coach has the responsibility to use instinct as well as HRM and testing data as opposed to just looking at the numbers.

All to often, I hear.. "I have to stay below 158 etc" for todays run.. That makes no sense to me at all.  For a recovery run, maybe.

2007-08-31 10:28 AM

Agree that 2 weeks isn't long enough.  I started HR/Zone training a year ago, with an easy pace of well over 11 minutes per mile.  Like you, I thought it was stupid and would never work.  My easy pace now is around 10 minutes/mile, and will go down to about 9:30/mile when it's not blazing hot out like it has been lately.  I haven't done a road race since May, but at that race, I did take 1.5 minutes off of my 4 mile time over last year, strictly on easy pace training.  So I'm pretty confident it has improved my fitness and will continue to work.

I tend to keep my E pace runs in low Zone 2, because my Zone 1 is a fast walk and it always has been.  I don't know if Zone 1 will ever exist for me.  I also will use training paces if I know it's a day where conditions won't allow for a good HR reading (if it's hot and humid, if I am tired, or if I am dehydrated).  When training for a specific race goal, I use those paces in training (M pace, T pace). 

You could try a plan that uses a combination of paces if you are concerned about not working hard enough.  Here's one: http://www.furman.edu/FIRST/2006%20half%20marathon%20training%20program.pdf

2007-08-31 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

I didn't mean to offend, or bash Heart rate training, it's just something I need to figure out (LT zones etc), and apparently my naivity is offending to some!
<--- Just a newb

Anyways, I just found out the Human Kinetics lab at my Uni isnt opening back up for 2 weeks. I'm not waiting that long, so instead I am doing my LT bike test this morning, and bricking it with a run after to simulate a harder then race pace bike, followed by an easy long run.

By the end of today I shall have an LT for the bike!
Wish me luck!
Derek

2007-08-31 10:38 AM

You can also test run LT with a 5 mile or 10K race in your area if you have one coming up.  It's a good method because the race setting means you are probably working hard, and then you can do the same race next year to look at your progress and see how awesome you are becoming.  Unless you mess up your foot like I did

Here are some instructions.  I think instructions are all over the place, but I just like to provide links to everything.
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/determinezones.html

Edited by DMW 2007-08-31 10:39 AM
2007-08-31 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Thanks DMW!

That's actually the EXACT article I was using as a guideline for my LT bike test this morning. I think what will happen is that I will do my run LT test on Sunday morning, giving me a day of recovery (Saturday), so that I can really push the pace.

That's a good idea about a local 5k/10k race too, but unfortunately there isn't a whole lot around!

Thanks again!
Derek
2007-08-31 12:20 PM

User image

Regular
Its funny, I know people that have gotten heart rate monitors then don't want to do the LT test because it hurts for 30 minutes.  You have to do the test, dont worry the pain goes away when you stop running/biking.
2007-08-31 12:22 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

It could be argued, and is probable, that you get faster as a result of quality training, Tempo, Intervals, etc. Not as a result of staying in Zone 1 or low 2 for a long run. >>> You could, but you would be wrong. From Jan to May I 90% of my runs were at easy pace (Z1) and within that time I only did two LT runs (tests) and 6 tempo runs (marathon pace) as final prep for the FL 70.3 and most tempo runs were done the last few weeks of April and 1st two weeks of May, IOW I spent around 14-16 weeks doing easy runs

It could also be argued that the people I know who are not improving, do not do this type of quality training in order to get faster. >>> if we break down their training I’ll bet you that the lack of hard intensity sessions has little do with the reason why they are not improving. Doing sets at LT or VO2Max will only produce so many adaptations in a short period of time (3-6 weeks) and after that you’ll plateau and will need a bigger dose of intensity or more volume. Both would be a risky business if you don’t have the base to train at that workload. OTOH, training at or below your VT1 will allow you to produce greater and longer adaptations to improve your fitness. (We have a lot room for improvement in this area and as discussed a million times, the biggest limiter for 99% of the AGers I a lack of aerobic fitness) Furthermore training at this intensity will also improve your LT or V02Max on a lesser degree, but it will. By the time you get to train at those intensities the results should be greater because you will better handle greater doses of intensity.

In the end, all a HRM is, is data that people use to guide what they do. Some use that data to their advantage, and for some it becomes a crutch. I'm not saying HRM's are bad, or evil, I'm just saying that they are not the holy grail for training athletes. Also, if the athlete has a coach, that coach has the responsibility to use instinct as well as HRM and testing data as opposed to just looking at the numbers. >>> I agree with you on this, but the majority of beginners don’t have the experience to gauge their effort correctly. Most feel their easy pace is too easy but when we determine their training zones they in fact have been training faster than they should. For that reason a HRM is a great tool to help you training at the right intensity. If you learn how to correlate this with RPE and pace, you will enhance your training. As a coach I encourage athletes to train with HRM, GPS, power meter, etc cuz that gives me a deeper insight on each sessions completed. I can analyze the file and break it down in different ways and get some of the guessing/instinct out of the equation.

All to often, I hear.. "I have to stay below 158 etc" for todays run.. That makes no sense to me at all.  For a recovery run, maybe.  >>> we could break this down in different ways but lets just assume that the athletes VT1 is around 160 and the goal of the run is to complete a steady long run; then I would say he/she has a particular goal and running below that HR will produce longer specific training adaptations and better improvements than just running at whatever he/she feel like.

2007-08-31 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Wow, this thread has taken off.

Again, sorry about the title, I would change it if I could.

Regardless, I did my LT test about 1 hour ago (15 min. warmup 90 rpm+/30 minutes HARD (got my average HR for the last 20 min)/15 min. warmdown 90 rpm+) and since the original plan was for a brick, after my bike warmdown, I headed out for a 30 min. run!

So, my average heart rate over the last 20 minutes of the half hour bike was 183 bpm. My average cadence was 91, and my overall distance over the half hour was 18.59km. The course wasn't exactly flat, but it was definitely the best (and flattest) course I could find, with the least lights/stops.

I guess now it's time to play around with some numbers!
Thanks for your input everyone!
It's infinitely appreciated!
Derek

2007-08-31 1:39 PM

Regular
As was already mentioned, 220-age, etc is crap.

Basing your HR zones on swimming hr is what's causing you to be so far off. I only skimmed this thread, so I apologize if someone already mentioned this.

Biking lactate threshold is typically 10 beats lower than running, and swimming is significanly lower than biking; so, if you're trying to use your swimming zones for running, you could easily be off by 20-30 bpm.

If you really want to know your proper training zones, simply take a 1/2 hour twice this week and do the biking and running time trial tests.

Good luck
2007-09-02 6:30 PM
in reply to: #947623

User image

Boulder, Colorado
amiine - 2007-08-30 2:08 PM

You’ve haven’t done any testing to define bike/run training zones, yet you think your training zones might seem too easy based on Max HR? Wow, now that’s shocking!

Until you do testing for each, you won’t know whether you are training at the right intensities or not.

Jorge - I was thinking the same exact thing! How many times do we hear this? Funny but true. Good thing you are here to help the lost souls.

I hope you are doing well my man.

2007-09-02 6:35 PM
in reply to: #948812

User image

Boulder, Colorado

DerekWL - 2007-08-31 12:31 PM Wow, this thread has taken off. Again, sorry about the title, I would change it if I could. Regardless, I did my LT test about 1 hour ago (15 min. warmup 90 rpm+/30 minutes HARD (got my average HR for the last 20 min)/15 min. warmdown 90 rpm+) and since the original plan was for a brick, after my bike warmdown, I headed out for a 30 min. run! So, my average heart rate over the last 20 minutes of the half hour bike was 183 bpm. My average cadence was 91, and my overall distance over the half hour was 18.59km. The course wasn't exactly flat, but it was definitely the best (and flattest) course I could find, with the least lights/stops. I guess now it's time to play around with some numbers! Thanks for your input everyone! It's infinitely appreciated! Derek

Derek,

As much as I am a proponent of HRM training, especially for newbies, I also wrote an article about why HRMS aren't always the best way to race -

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/hrms.htm

And, I wrote about many things you mentioned but its still importatn, imo, to know your zones to ensure that you don't blow sky high on race day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Psychological Fallacy of HRMs Rss Feed