View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Total Time = 2h 26m 46s
Overall Rank = 60/695
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/83
Pre-race routine:

up at 4am, normal bagel + peanut butter, 1 banana. Set up bike, trans area and chatted with mike (mkmbharris)before the race.
Event warmup:

none - only downer about swims at town lake
Swim
  • 27m 18s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I struggled in this swim. I never found a good rhythem, felt like for the first half i was fighting a current (normally this course has more downstream route. I was able to draft off another age grouper till the first turn around, then it got really congested and i basically swam, doggy paddle to find some spacing. After talking with some others and my coach alot of people complained of the swim as being tough.
What would you do differently?:

i really need to do more open water swimming, my sighting sucks.
i was shoot for at most 24 min swim
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

i had issues with getting my wetsuit off, 1 leg came right off and the other got stuck on my heel, i had to sit down to get it off. besides that ok. felt i lost about 30 seconds here
Bike
  • 1h 07m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall happy with my bike time. My fastest avg for Olympic course. First loop was tough for me and only avg 19.6 mph. 2nd lap my legs felt alot better and I was at 20.9 mph by the end of 2nd loop. I felt really good and was really moving on the last lap and ended up at 22mph avg, this consisted of just coasting the last 200-300m as i took my feet out of my shoes. This course was deceiving. The hill you had to climb when you went south on congress to stmarys turn around was tough and I had to dig deeper each lap to maintain a good pace, then you had a down hill you could fly and make up sometime, then congress as you near the capital once again is like false flat that you had to work. This course definately made you work for your speed.

nothing really, my legs felt better as the laps continued. Wish I felt a little stronger coming out of the swim. Also, once again forgot my salt tabs... I should know by know that i have cramping issues since I am a heavy sweater.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Good transition, never hurried. I'm sure i could have moved a little faster, but ok with time.
Run
  • 46m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like i lost about 1:30 due the cramp and splits show this, around 25min first 5k, 21 min for second 5k.

Salt tabs.... I know i need these when pushing at high levels. Overall I am really happy with my run!!!!!
---
7th in my AG - never complain about that, 2:41 was my previous best at the Olympic distance, 2:26 this time. 15 minute PR
Post race
Warm down:

walked around for a while, stretched out and chatted with some friends
Also talked to my coach for about 15 minutes going over the race (and congrats to him for winning the overall race). Also talked about setting up my program for post Longhorn and leading up to IMAZ.
Also chatted with todde and keith post race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've made great strides over the last year, I will get a podium spot soon

Event comments:

Very well orgainized race, great for a first time event and post race was really nice... even though I didn't stay around long.... had to get home and help out the Mrs with the Kiddo's. Jack and Adams also does a fine job in their events. Definately will do it again. I think most of all what I liked about this race was it was a single distance race vs CapTex which is multi distance race and over crowded. I may skip captex and due this one instead next year.

Last updated: 2007-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:18 | 1500 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/83
Overall: 75/695
Performance: Average
Suit: qr superfull
Course: changed course race morning due to overnight rain. 1500 loop but headed much farther west than origanally planned.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:46 | 24.85 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Overall: 70/695
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 3 loop course, ranging from small hills to down hills through down town austin area
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:44 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 148/695
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course, 5k each loop. I came out of t2 and my legs felt good, hit mile 1 at 6:40, probably a little fast, for some reason I changed my stide and kicked high and my left hammy cramped up. I stopped for about 1:30 and had to work it out. I started back up and about 30 seconds or so I was back at a good pace. Beside that issue my run felt good, my legs were never tired and I beat my olympic 10k by about 10 minutes on the run. All my running is paying off for the shorter course stuff.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-04 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2007-09-04 9:20 AM
in reply to: #951276

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Great race out there and congrats on the PR!!!!! This was definetly an awesome race, I heard a lot of people after the race commenting on how they would like CAPTEX to adopt the same bike course. Again congrats on the PR!!!!
2007-09-04 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Great race! I'm assuming Brandon is your coach..I'm thinking of getting a plan from him for Ironman training. I've signed up for IMCDA 08. How do you like his coaching? I've met him and he seems like such a nice guy.
2007-09-04 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Looks like you were one of those guys who passed me in the "congested" portion of the swim course

Sounds like you had a great race. #7 in AG is great, considering the size of the race! Congrats! I'm not looking forward to competing against you in AG next year (assuming you're still 35-39).

2007-09-04 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
yes, 38 next year. You had a great race as well even with the bike issue.
---
sent a pm to you robin regarding coaching information on brandon.
2007-09-04 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race Jamie.  I had a feeling you would tear this course up!  Funny how everyone had a hard swim.  I was wondering if the swim might have been long but Brandon's time didn't seem to show that it was  Great job out there.

2007-09-04 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great job dealing with "what the day brings". Really solid splits.

Yep, the challenge for next year is to knock *another* 15 minutes off your Oly time. Do that, and you'll be very close to a podium spot.
2007-09-04 5:32 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
nice job. PR means you are moving in the right direction. excellent showing in youe age group. looks like the other 35-39 AGers are starting to worry about you - you gotta love that!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed