DQ Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 36s
Overall Rank = 2/385
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Race was close to home so I didn't need to go crazy with getting ready. Had the car ready the night before and got up about 5:30, ate, shower, hit the road. Stomach was quite a mess not sure what that was all about.
Event warmup:

Got there and racked on the last rack heading out of T1 for the bike exit. I like that position. Got set up, went for about a 5 mile ride, then got in and swam down to the swim start. Pretty cool air temps and should have worn my wetsuit. I think the cold air really beat me up and that's why I blew up on the swim. A lot of waiting around for the swim to start. 20 mins late for the race start.
Swim
  • 06m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went anerobic in the first 200 meters. Swam onto Dave Cox a few times. Swam into two or three other people. Worst swim in my 2 year TRI career. Once I detonated the swim was pretty much over for me. Came out 5th and should have been out 30-40 seconds ahead of the 1st place guy. Oh well. Live and learn.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a wet suit.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Fast T1. I was into T1 5th overall and out 2nd. Hammered everyone pretty good here.

Nothing maybe go faster.
Bike
  • 26m 29s
  • 11 miles
  • 24.92 mile/hr
Comments:

After blowing up on the swim it took me a while to get things under control for this bike portion. I caught the race leader about 1/4 mile and just hammered him. Went right by like he wasn't there. I didn't want to play game with anyone at that point.

Got settled in about mile 5 or so and was able to drink and catch my breath a bit. The back end of the course has some hills so I knew I needed to get my breathing back under control or I would have a tough run right after those hills. So I think I did a great job of getting out of sight and staying in control. On the turn off Kenilowth back up to Kettle Run Rd. I didn't even see the second place rider. That was a good sign and it meant I was keeping my distance from those guys. Made it back to T2 and felt ok.

Not much. Tough when you start out anerobic on the swim. You have to settle yourself quickly and if you don't it makes for a very tough ride/run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Left shoe got rolled when I was putting it on. Other than that I may have lost about 2-5 seconds there. I was pretty quick out of T2.

Nothing
Run
  • 18m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 with Del Monte and Scoogie Snyder about 10 yards behind us. Pace was already pretty much at max for the run. Made it down Lake Shore Dr and Scoogie passed me in the first 1/4 mile. I kept him in contact until the turnaround and then things got tought. My legs are just shot from all the training I have been doing. Del Monte was gone at the turn around and I didn't even see him. So once Scoogie took off I decided that it was not worth chasing him and that I would just settle in for 2nd and not get hurt trying to push.

Run on fresh legs...but that's not the point...
Post race
Warm down:

Message Tent for some work on my legs. Hung around and chatted with a bunch of great people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Clearwater Training. But it is not to be viewed as a limiter since it will ultimately make me faster come November.

Event comments:

A good race. A little late start this year but that's ok. Sometimes things happen. Perfect race right by my house. Won't miss this one again.

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:05 | 440 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 5/385
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Point to Point swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:29 | 11 miles | 24.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 3/385
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Loop out through Marlton Lakes and on into Marlton. Back roads.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:18:16 | 03 miles | 06m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 8/385
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on local roads in Marlton Lakes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-04 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: DQ Triathlon at Marlton Lakes

2007-09-04 1:41 PM
in reply to: #951570

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: DQ Triathlon at Marlton Lakes
that's a pretty awesome performance considering where you're at in your training!  nice race report, too.
2007-09-04 1:43 PM

User image

Williamstown, NJ
Congrats! Awesome job.... My swim goal is to someday swim as fast as your worst swim ever in this race! Good luck in Hawaii!
-joe
Williamstown, NJ
2007-09-04 1:49 PM
in reply to: #951680

User image

Williamstown, NJ
I meant Clearwater, Fla....
2007-09-04 5:52 PM

Newtown, PA
Fantastic job! Good luck at Clearwater.
2007-09-04 6:29 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Wow nice race. I had a good seat watching you guys coming in on the run as I was headed out. Snoogie needed to have quite a race to beat you. Wish I could be disapointed with the 5th fastest swim on the day. Great job and can't wait to read the race report from Clearwater.

2007-09-11 3:19 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
The swim may not have been quite up to snuff for you, but that's still a damn good performance overall!  And you're definitely right that it will help you come Clearwater--lookin' good.
2007-09-11 3:25 PM
in reply to: #960454

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Great race even with the sub-par (for you) swim.  Smokin' bike split and a solid run to follow it up!  Congrats on the podium.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DQ Triathlon at Marlton Lakes Rss Feed