Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 12s
Overall Rank = 56/246
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 10/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got dressed, oatmeal, loaded the truck, headed out to the race
Event warmup:

As usual, no real warm up, jogged a bit (more to get the nerves in check) set up transition, got body marked, mosied to the beach for a dip to get aclimatized to the artic like waters. I thought I bumped into another swimmer but infact it was a piece of ice, possibly from a passing iceberg. Was more of a cool down that warm up.
Swim
  • 32m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

MFG! What a friggin' horror show. What happened to me? Sucked in enough salt water to support a small exotic fish tank in my lungs. I was hammered the whole swim. Someone cup checked me. 3 times. I got his number. The start was too funny. Guys were diving into water 2 feet deep then trying to get backup. Rule of thumb? If the water is at your knees, too early to dive! The second wave of Sprint was set loose as I came up the 3/4 mark and I was Judo kicked in the ribs. That slowed me down a bit. I just thought about what would Chuck Norris do? He'd Judo-punch the guy. Problem was the kicker was gone, so I whacked the next guy that swam by. I figured we were even now.
What would you do differently?:

Helmet, jock strap, mouth guard, tazer (set on stun), don't swim like such a loser! How about that for a change huh?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Running in the grass with bike shoes on = good fun for the whole family! yeah! It was the T1 from heck. Alex was heckling me as I had a long transition. I did't cry so that was good.

Practice T1 more. hard time getting things figured out fast.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 34s
  • 23.36 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I love hills. This course only had a few but one big one where I passed a bunch of people. it was hard to figure out who was SPRINT v. OLY but it felt good passing people regardless. I was happy with my time even though Iwas getting blocked by the masses. Not a biggie. I got huge reactions from the big drifting fishtail I laid out. Always a good idea to amuse the crowds with antics. It was cool. I am cool.

Ride harder and faster. Same plan as always.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

As usual, putting on a clinic with my T2 abilities. Classes are starting soon, check back for dates. Sign up early, space in limited.

Try to make a mistake to make myself more human.
Run
  • 47m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My run started out slow due to the injured right hamstring (oh yeah, I should have mentioned that ealier) from 2 days earlier. I was concentrating on breathing and no cramps. almost made it. My right lung was killing me, salt water poisoning? Possibility. Had a great spint for the last KM but could not make up for the slow go, was passed by two in my AG but I had to let them go due to the pain in my right side. I am weak. So weak.

Work on the breathing. Stretch. Hydrate more.
Post race
Warm down:

Said hi to Alex, Micheal and Barb, friends and co-athlete / Ironmen. Nothing is better than having support in a race. I love having people come out to cheer me on. Called the neighbors, off to the Ol' Admiral Pub for $3 Redstripe beers and a burger!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cardio issues and my right hamstring. On the third lap of the bike it started to seize on me so I had to slow it down a bit. It sucked but I was amazed I stayed relaxed on it of the rest of the ride and didn't start hammering once it felt better for 5 minutes.

Event comments:

Great race, will look at doing it again for sure next year. Didn't win any swag so it is only a 4/5. Stupid give aways. I never win anything.

Last updated: 2007-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:41 | 1500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 146/246
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zipped up
Course: Out and back triangle, two laps. LOW TIDE!!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0C / 0F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:34 | 23.36 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Overall: 44/246
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 4 laps around Stanley Park. Very nice.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:58 | 06.21 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 56/246
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps of out and back from Second Beach to the Stanley Park Seawall; trail and road track. Very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-05 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: Vancouver Triathlon

2007-09-05 2:12 PM
in reply to: #952750

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Vancouver Triathlon
Fast race and entertaining race reports. Brilliant idea about kicking revenge.
2007-09-05 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Sounds like you really enjoyed the swim!! Managed to pull a really good time considering the hamstring and the salt water poisoning! How'd you find the road around Stanley Park for riding? It seems to be getting worse year after year IMO.

Great race and RR!

Edited by VanCityJ 2007-09-05 10:18 PM
2007-09-05 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Are you a comedian? I am still laughing about the swim protective gear!

And the ICEBERG! You need to come to Hawaii! 

Great job!

2007-09-08 7:31 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Nice work. I TOO never win anything!

That Ice might not have been ICE!!!

Well, looks like you had a great time even with the hammy!

2007-09-08 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran

OMG you kill me   Great race, and superb RR!  Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures at next weekend's race.

Dude...water....

2007-09-13 11:28 PM

User image

New user

What a great review! In-depth and entertaining.

I did the sprint up there the same day and the saltwater was a challenge for me, too. This is my rookie season and this was only my second race. I'm a weak swimmer and realized after Hagg Lake in July (my first race) that I would never learn freestyle in time, so I worked on improving my breast stroke, which is how I got around this time.

I figured the most important thing was hitting the shore feeling fresh for the bike and run. I moved from 78th to a 17th overall finish (4th of 22 in the 30-34 age group). My plan worked!

Before the race, I used Google Earth to map out the bike course and get a feel for the terrain. Anyone interested in a detailed course map of Stanley Park, please visit:

http://fxtn.blogspot.com/2007/09/vancouver-triathlon-bike-course-ma...

It's available in both jpeg- and kmz-format with no restrictions. I find it to be a valuable planning tool and since I'm not taking another long drive to BC next year I don't fear the competitive disadvantage of making it public

If you like hills, come to Hagg Lake in Forest Grove, OR, next year. It's like a roller coaster. I'm in the process of mapping that one as well, but it's slow going with all the ups and downs.
2008-08-14 4:59 PM

User image

Abbotsford

Question? How do you deal with that swim S hit! That kinda talk freaks me out a little. Maybe I'll try the olympic just for the hell of it. I dunno...

gotta say though, your race reports rock. I really like the commentary and I only say I may try the Olympic cause you make me believe it may be possible. then I have to remember that you're an iron man competitor...I wonder if they have an iron boy event?

GD

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Triathlon Rss Feed