Reston Triathlon
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 38s
Overall Rank = 13/321
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/30
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 - ate 2 cliff bars and had a 20 oz gatorade. Dom and his wife were up so we packed up the truck, dropped Robin (Dom's wife) at the volunteer drop off and went back to the highschool to park the truck.

Set up T2 and then biked down to T1 (1.5 miles) to set that up.
Event warmup:

The 1.5 mile with a backpack ride from T2 to T1 served as warm-up.
Swim
  • 22m 15s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Tough start as around 100 people wade in and then are off. I was in the first wave and it was rough - lots of bumping and moving around. Took a shot to the eye right away but my googles stayed on.

About 200 yards in 3 of us broke from the pack and were off. I was in 2nd trailing my friend Dave (won my AG) and dropped back to third near the midpoint. Unfortunatly I overshot the turn around by about 20 yards (a volunteer yelled at me that I had gone to far) and by the time I got back on course the other two were too far ahead for me to catch up.

The second half I settled my stroke down and just kept it smooth and easy. I was tempted to turn it on and try to catch them but decided to save myself as I knew the bike was going to be tough.
What would you do differently?:

Not overshoot the turn around.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

My best T1 yet - no socks, no gloves, new helmet has visor on it so no sunglasses.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 12s
  • 22.3 miles
  • 21.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I was 4th out of T1 and tried to start by just keeping my cadence high and moving steady. First lap was tough and I did not find my legs until right at the end of the first lap (about mile 7ish). First lap I avg'd 20 mph and the next two I was above 22.

Took a few of the turns to wide and was passed on one turn but caught and repassed the guy a mile down the rode. Got passed by a total of 6 people on the bike so I knew I was in pretty good shape coming into T2.

May need to train on getting myself up to race pace faster or swimming hard and then biking.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Need to remember to wipe my feet off first and then put the shoes on. Tried to put my shoes on right away and had to take them off as they both had rocks in them.
Run
  • 46m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Made it through T1 and I was just behind 2 other people - the top woman and a guy I swim with who has been doing tri's for a while. I knew I was in second in my AG and wanted to hold on to at least third.

I started off just trying to get my cadence up and turning it over quick. Legs felt relatively fresh and I thought I might be in for a good run as I was keeping up with the top woman and gaining on the guy.

It was a weird position - all of a sudden I was the hunter and not the hunted on the run. Picked off the guy first and the woman and I went back in forth over the next two miles. Eventually we caught the number one swimmer and passed him as well. Saw TahoeSteve on the course and that helped pick me up.

Right before the turnaround I was passed by my first runner. On the way back I saw a bunch of people that looked like strong runners gaining on me. I pushed to the point where I felt like I was going to be sick and kept it there the rest of the run. Was passed by 3 more runners on the way back and one of them was in my AG. Darn down to third but still placed in the top three. After I finished I learned the top guy in my AG (he caught my friend Dave on the run in the last mile) was hit with three drafting penalties (6 minutes total) which knocked him down to third - sweet.

Nothing - best run to date - had someone to run against most of the race and could not have pushed it any harder without being sick.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as you cross the finish line they hand you a cold towel and water bottle - nice touch. After my stomach settled down, I ate some pizza and had some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still my first year of really doing tri's so I need more experience and training. My coach really hit my taper right as I felt strong the entire race. :)

Event comments:

Great race - they have been doing this race 20 something years and it shows. Lots of volunteers and support. The swag is the best around - jacket, hat, water bottle, cold towel, etc.

Last updated: 2007-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:15 | 1760 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/30
Overall: 3/321
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Xterra
Course: Out and back on a lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:02:12 | 22.3 miles | 21.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/30
Overall: 59/321
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling with a few hills and turns
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:45 | 06.21 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/30
Overall: 38/321
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling shaded course winding through Reston
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2.5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Reston Triathlon

2007-09-10 2:19 PM
in reply to: #958489

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon

Wow reading your race report is like watching a sports movie! So exciting!

You put the hard work in and fully deserve the excellent results.

I am excited to watch you get even faster next season

2007-09-10 2:36 PM

Veteran
Holy Crap - amazing story. The bike seemed especially strong, even though you think it was an "average" performance?? I am very impressed - I had grand notions that I might get to race "with" you sometime, but now I know that that will probably consist of the after-race picnic only! You must be proud to make your AG place goal - now relax, rest/heal up, and start thinking about that next medal! Congrats ~ Joe

Edited by lcsolutions 2007-09-10 2:36 PM
2007-09-10 3:06 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
great race Doc. you're race reports are fun to read.  Your improvements in fitness and racing abilities are very remarkable.  Keep it up!
2007-09-10 4:00 PM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA

You are rocking the tris this year! 

2007-09-10 4:07 PM

What a great report - we'll have to team up on some sports' writing!

Seriously fabulous race, Dan. I am so impressed - but not surprised as your hard work has led you here.

Amazing swim - even with the extra yardage - followed by a great bike avg. and a strong run, to boot...PLUS some great Ts. All the while you kept your head and knew who you had to catch and who to hold at bay - unbelievable!

Way to really wrap up the tri-portion of your season in STRONG fashion. Even Paris would say, "That's Hot!"

Can't wait to continue watching you be an amazing triathlete! OOO Tink

2007-09-10 5:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats~

Impressive you can actually race a tri, know your position, see your AG competitors and pick up the pace to respond.

So were you a swimmer in an earlier life?

Well written RR...can't wait for your IMLP one

2007-09-11 8:35 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

Dan - sounds like you really raced a fast and smart race.  Now you are the one everyone else will be gunning for!  Bet you wouldn't have it any other way.  Don't you also love it when cheaters get caught?

Great job. 

2007-09-11 12:11 PM

User image

Dan- you my friend had a great race. Great everything...I wasn’t too far behind you in the swim...as it always has been since we were 10. I still beat you when we were 8,9. ahaha. Maybe next year? ha

You are a true warrior to the bone. Bow Down....Bow Down....
Missing in your life since you left college..... competition. You found something here, and you showed it to me and I LIKEY. Its like trailing blood in the water to attract sharks. The smell , oh the smell makes me HUNGRY... I know you have that competitive sniffer. Its contagious. Oh the smell.....

I am proud of you as well. You are starting to make a name for yourself...its like a replay of HS again. only with more pain.. and hills....and Vats. Divac!!!

Thank you for motivating me to do this race with you every year as I look forward to it. I think a couple sprints would help me prepare for this race next year and I am down as i will be keeping up the training.

Keep at it and soon you will be sub 2hours in this race and win it all. Then Kona. Dont think you are going to Kona alone....

Oh Danny boy the record boards, the record boards are calling...from Rochester to Reston....and down the mountainside(Kona)
2007-09-12 5:44 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job! Geez, if this is only your first year of tri you could have fooled me. Your entry reads like a pro!
Keep it up!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon Rss Feed