American Sports Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 20s
Overall Rank = 150/152
Age Group = athena (40/44)
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

What routine? This was my first race and I couldn't sleep well the 2-3 nights before my first Tri. I ate breakfast of a bagel and drank water. Drove the 45-50 minutes to the race location and arrived with the first 15 cars for the 5:30am check. My thought was what have I gotten myself into. I did this as a challenge to get in shape and lose some more weight...but I felt nervous, excited and like I might get sick.
Event warmup:

Didn't want to use up any energy so did nothing. My goal was to finish, hopefully under 2 hours....not walk, and feel great after finishing.
Swim
  • 18m 6s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had swam the course the day before, but the current was out for the practice, but in for the race. There are lots of sharp shells and many people swam in different type of water shoes. I had just gotten a wetsuit on Thursday and tried it once in the pool and once in the ocean swim. It felt a little snug. As I stood on the beach waiting for my wave the last one with newbies...I thought why am I doing this, I don't want to swim now at 7am, but I am going to do it. I really panicked only about 1/3 way to the first bouy. I felt like I was cut off from all my senses....couldn't hear, couldn't see well, felt constricted, and my heart rate raced so high. I was way at the back of the pack. After making it to the first bouy, I felt better and was able to talk with someone holding on to the bouy from an earlier group with a cramp. It made me feel more normal. I did the breast stroke and sidestroke, but couldn't do freestyle even though I had practiced it all those hours in the pool. After the last bouy, and heading for shore, I couldn't see at all with the sun rising above the trees, and my sealmask all fogged up. Once my feet hit the ground, I was so happy and knew I would finish my first triathlon. Conquering that first swim and only beating those who didn't finish, I felt great.
What would you do differently?:

Practice swimming more, learn the Total Immersion method, practice with my wetsuit in open water, try not to panick.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

I did best on the transitions. I brought a small stool (a tip from a book) to sit on to put on my shoes and socks. The stool idea worked great since I have a bad back. I had some speed laced on my cheap bike shoes and they worked great.

Practice riding my bike without socks so that I felt okay doing it for the Triathlon.
Bike
  • 48m 34s
  • 10.2 miles
  • 12.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Geez, I passed 6 people on the bike, but didn't even know it and enjoy it. I only remember passing one person about 30 yards from the end of the bike. I just thought I was getting passed by everyone. Starting thinking I was last during the last loop. The leaders were on their run when I wasn't even done with my first bike loop.

Get a road bike. I was surprised my bike time was so bad, since the I felt the best biking. I was about 2.5 mph slower than most of my training rides. I think the panic and high heart rate on the swim effected my whole race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Changed my socks when I put my running shoes on, since my first pair was wet. I didn't want to get blisters and my running shoes were a little to small. Overall, transitions I felt good at.

No socks for bike, and put socks on for the run in T2 or learn to run without socks.
Run
  • 42m 1s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 13m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The pink shorts women who I passed at the end of the bike, didn't change shoes and was slightly ahead of me in the run. She picked up someone who ran with her. I tried to catch her and almost did at about the 1 mile mark, but then they pulled away. It was strange to see no one else behind me. My husband assured me that there were others behind me...not sure that I believed him, but a race official I spoke to on the last bike loop and saw on the way out on the run told me there were others behind me.

For me the goal was to not walk at all and I did it!! I had only ran 3.2 miles a few times before and never after swimming and biking, so I was very happy.

About 200 yards before the finish line, I got all chocked up and started to cry/honk. I was about to achieve my dream...one that would not have been possible a short 6 months when I started training or 1.5 year earlier when I weighed 75 pounds more. When I started running in May I couldn't run one side of my block...I felt good to improve and achieve, but lots more room for improvement.

Work on better form, more endurance and train at a lower heart rate.
Post race
Warm down:

Fell into my husbands arms, he removed my chip ankle braclet, and ran to the bathroom. Walked a bit until my legs felt better. Was surprised to see my heart rate back to normal very quickly. Perhaps I should have pushed myself harder. Surpised that the next day I felt fine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of practice in open water swimming with my wetsuit, the panick of not practicing open water swimming, being about 30-40 pounds overweight and 42. I need to improve my running form and train at lower heart rate.

Event comments:

I achieved my goals of finishing, not finishing last, and running the whole way. I did beat 2 people who finished, a bunch that didn't and about 50 that didn't even show up to start.

I had dreamed of finishing my first triathlon for about a year. I had always been afraid I couldn't do it. It was a test to see what I was made of. After losing 75 pounds and trying to get in shape, I felt this was the ultimate test of turning my life around, getting in shape and trying to live a healthy life.

Yes, now I can say I'm a triathlete!!

Last updated: 2004-10-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:06 | 500 yards | 03m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 153/152
Performance: Bad
Heart rate raced up to 160 and averaged 153. This is a full 20+ more than I practiced at, which was bad.
Suit: one peice Tri suit
Course: Swim out to bouy, go left by 3 bouys, and go left back to shore...in the shape of a rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:34 | 10.2 miles | 12.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 147/152
Max heart rate 158, average 146. My heart rate was way up from the swim and it took me about 1.5 laps to feel like normal on the bike.
Wind: Little
Course: A 3 loop course, along the bay in Rhode Island. It was a beautiful course and only one slight uphill, which of course meant there was a nice hill to go down on the back half of the loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:42:01 | 03.2 miles | 13m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 150/152
Max 160, average 153
Course: One loop of the bike route...beautiful.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-10-25 9:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Try the Tri

2004-10-26 1:23 AM
in reply to: #76062

User image

Subject: RE: Try the Tri
WAY TO GO KATHY! What a great report! You should be very proud, setting a goal like that and meeting it. Hope to do my first tri next year, you're an inspiration.

Chris
2004-10-26 6:55 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
great race and great report Kathy 
2004-10-26 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
WOW...............that is teriffic and you are really the BOMB. I hope you are feeling as proud today as you were when you completed the tri. You are truely an inspiration. I loved your race report....I felt like I was there.

Keep it up and enjoy the feeling.....

2004-10-26 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Fantastic race Kathy! Great race report. Congratulations on fininshing your first tri! You are a triathlete!

Don't sweat the swimming - like you mentioned in your report - a little more practice is going to put you right in there where you want to be.
2004-10-26 10:39 AM

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
Congratulations!  What a fantastic accomplishment. 

2004-10-26 11:11 AM

NH
Kathy...you ARE a TRIATHLETE!! Congratulations!
I was one of the 50 that registered but didn't show up (that you beat!). I was sicker than a dog and couldn't fathom walking one mile, nevermind 2 vigorous hours of exercise! I was looking forward to trying a co-ed race as the first one that I did earlier in the year was female only. You did a great job! Nice race report.

Julie C
2004-10-26 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on finishing your first Tri!!! Feels good doesn't it..
2004-10-26 1:11 PM
in reply to: #76200

Master
Boston

Wow, I almost teared up after reading that. It was exactly how I felt after my first tri in April- the TriAmerica series in Clermont, FL. As soon as I crossed that finish line I fell down and started crying. It was the best feeling in the world and I hope I don't ever forget it. Maybe I will feel the same way once I do a 1/2 IM someday  Congrats andhappy training!

Lisa

2004-10-26 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Way to GO!!!! Welcome to the few, the crazy...

-Frank
2004-10-26 5:16 PM

User image

Cathy, very awesome. Thanks for making me feel like I was there. Way to go Triathlete!

2004-10-26 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Kathy,
Way to go, what a great race!!!!!!!

Dave
2004-10-29 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Everyone thank you for your kind words. It was a big challenge but one that makes me feel so good about achieving.

Julie, too bad you were sick. Maybe next year we will bump into each other at a tri.

Kathy
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Try the Tri Rss Feed