General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 12m 35s
Overall Rank = 108/263
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/42
Pre-race routine:

I know this is the pre-race routine box, but I think it is important to start this race report with the following:
As you will see when you read this report, I was a bit disappointed in the run portion of this race which in turn made me disappointed in my overall time. Today is Tuesday and I'm starting to reflect on how much time I put into training for this event as well as the accomplishment of completing a half iron distance event. I didn't have a very good attitude about my effort which is why it has taken me 3 days to get around to this report. Before I got started, I read some of my fellow BT'ers race reports. WOW, do I feel like a big baby!! Reading these reports reminded me of why we enjoy this sport and reminded me about all the good things about this sport. As an example of this, I found the attached link on another REDMAN race report and wanted to attach it to my report as well. Take a look at it befor you go any further..

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Pretty amazing, huh. That story really helped me put my shortcomings behind me and remember how thankful I should be that God gave me the ability to compete in this type of event....OK, on with the report.

Got transition set up, took my customary walk down to the water's edge to pray and think about the day. Then had a prayer with the rest of the Tri4Him team.
Event warmup:

short swim
Swim
  • 41m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was interesting. You got to follow the chop in the way out, but then had to face it coming in. The chop doesn't bother me, but I was guessing on my line without a bouy to spot. There were multiple times when I came up to breath and got a mouthfull of OKC's finest drink. I was happy with how composed I was able to stay in the chop.
What would you do differently?:

Push myself harder. I need to convince myself now that I am a strong enough swimmer that I can push harder in the swim and decrease my times. This whole season I have been way too conservative on the swim, so I will spend time this winter in the pool pushing harder and training myself to perform at harder efforts instead of just cruising through the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

The wetsuit strippers did an awesome job, even though they had a tough time getting the suit off over my big flippers, I mean feet. Funny Note: The PA announcer announced as I was laying there on my back..." And Ken Bramble is out of the water and heading to his bike" I just couldn't help but think how funny it was that I was getting my name announced as I was laying there on my back getting my suit stripped off!!
I really took my time in transition as I was afraid I was going to forget something like my required glucose tabs, or extra gel packs, so I stopped and stared at everything lying on my transition towel just to make sure I had it all, once I made sure I took off.

not much
Bike
  • 2h 51m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

This was probably the most fun part of the day. Those who race with me, know that the bike is probably the weakest of the 3 events for me, so to be able to average almost 20 MPH over 56 miles was pretty big for me. I'm not saying that I lit it up, but it felt good to have a respectable bike leg. I took my bike out a couple of nights after the race and realized that my chain was not moving over to the easy chainring, so on race day when I thought I was going up a couple hills on my easiest chainring I wasn't. That made me feel good about the bike as well.

Buy a disc.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I got to have some fun here too. I've gotten pretty good at the feet on the shoes, riding on one pedal dismount. I was concerned coming in that my legs may be a little tired to do this but I tried it anyway and it worked great. I felt like I flew into T2. I got through pretty quick and didn't take as much time as I did in T1.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 34m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 running 7:36 pace according to my Garmin. Within the first mile I talked myself down to a 8:25 pace and though I still better slow down. I was trying to get my heart rate down and no matter how much I slowed I couldn't make big progress on slowing my heart rate. I'll have to look at the graphs to see how my heart rate went over the course of the run, but I certainly started out with it too high.
Mistakes on the run:
1) Starting too fast...should have walked a bit to get my heart rate down then started slowly while maintaing that rate
2) It never dawned on me on race day that I didn't eat ANYTHING on the run....WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!? I was so methodical about nutrition on the bike, then I got to the run and all I did was drink water.
I was pretty disappointed about the run, but I'll live to race another day!!!

Devise a strong nutrition schedule for the run!
Start easier
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line without a smile on my face. I plopped down in a chair and Peter brought me a bottle of water. After I sat there about ten minutes I noticed how naseaus I was. My stomach felt like dirt. I wandered over to the med tent and asked "You got anything for an upset stomach" They asked if I was cramping and I said that my calves had begun cramping in the last couple of miles. Then they asked if I wanted an IV and I said Sure, why not.
So I got an IV before I went and packed up transition and headed back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition
heat

Last updated: 2007-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:47 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/263
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Full to cuff
Course: The course was out and back, but not very well marked. I hate to say anything negative about this event because it was SO well produced and supported, but the swim course marking was pretty poor. They needed larger turnaround bouys and more bouys on the way out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:51:50 | 56 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat course with some rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:56 | 13.1 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat and Sunny
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-25 12:48 PM

User image

Olathe, KS
Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman

2007-09-25 4:17 PM
in reply to: #978460

User image

Expert
Kansas
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman
tip for a better run: Have some knuckle head yell "LOOK @ THOSE 11m/m MILES!!!!".....
2007-09-26 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS
Great report Ken!
2007-09-26 9:19 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Great bike... I heard the wind was crazy out there.

2007-09-26 11:08 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Great job. It was certainly hot out there when you were finishing up. That's about the time I started getting hazy on the bike. Can't imagine running 13 miles in that heat.
2007-09-26 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Ken, I think you did great out there! Was this your first HIM?

I know how you feel about the disappointment, though. I felt like that for a few days after my HIM this July... like "why couldn't I have been faster/better/whatever." It really did bum me out for a while, but like you said, you have to focus on the positive: you just did something that 99.9% of the people in this country will never do, or even attempt--- and you did it well!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the bike, and you'll smash the run next time!

Congrats! And be proud of yourself for getting out there and accomplishing such a great goal!

2007-09-26 4:32 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Congrats on a nice race!
2007-09-26 4:51 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Nice race. Sounds very similar to my first HIM experience this year. One question-- are you sure your high HR on the run was related to starting the run too fast, or was it because you hammered the bike too hard? That was my mistake and once that HR gets out of the bag there's no easy way to recover. Just a thought, because it sounds like you were really pushing it on the bike. Congrats on a great HIM, though.
2007-09-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: #980471

User image

Olathe, KS
That's probably a good point.  I didn't really pay close attention to my HR on the bike, I was just gettin' after it and having fun.  I probably did let it get away from me there....
2007-09-29 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Hey a bad day triathloning is better than a good day at work.

Seriously, good job!  A 6 hour HIM with a 18/42 AG finish is pretty darn good.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Half Redman Rss Feed