Safe Journey
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 1s
Overall Rank = 42/286
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Ate raisin bran cereal, drank a cup of coffee. Jogged/walked to race site just a 1/2 mile away. Started developing a cramp right away, so ended up walking most of the way. Met Aunt Debbie (running) and Aunt Sally (there for moral support) along with Debbie's friend Heather who ran with her after only being out of intensive care maybe 3 weeks prior to this race! (Long story...)
Event warmup:

I just counted the run there as my warm-up. Went potty once and stretched pretty well in the 15 min or so leading up to the race. Chatted with neighbors, family, and Rob and the kids as we waited to start. Bryn wore her cheerleader outfit along with pompons to cheer mommy on!! :)
Run
  • 22m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

After zigzagging around some people who should have been further back (or should I have been further up?), I got off to my typical fast start. I looked at my watch at 33 seconds and thought, "Oh No, I already feel terrible..." But, I tried to mimic the faster pace of those around me to keep me going. Sometimes it's obvious who I won't be able to keep up with, others I tell myself that I can eventually wear them down if I just keep following. Sometimes that works... Towards the end I started chanting to myself (e-n-d-u-r-a-n-c-e, or just thinking about the word). I may not be as fast as some of them, but I think I've got sufficient endurance to wear some people out eventually. The stretch on the canal, to the turn around point and back is sooo long. uugghhh. It's just long. I have a certain point where I kick it up a notch or two and another point where I just flat out go, and this plan worked. I was able to pull off a sprint at the end because I saw the shadow of a guy behind me getting closer and I didn't want him to pass me!
I pretty much felt like shit the entire time, but I guess I'm a masochist. I'm pleased with my showing today!
What would you do differently?:

Lose some lbs....
Wear sunglasses. The portion on the canal heading east was right into the sun, which I think wears me out when I have to squint.
Train more. There's 3:30+ minutes between me and the top female runner. Not that I think I could ever compete with her...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a lot until I got my breathing under control and could focus again. Drank an entire water bottle pretty quickly. Found Rob and the kids and then cheered Debbie and Heather on to the finish! Debbie finished it in 28:38 She did great!! 2nd in her AG (60-64) and 139/286 OA. But when I caught up to her after her finish, she was clutching a Wegmans bag because she really thought she was going to throw-up and the woman who took her chip off grabbed a bag for her quickly! ::chuckle chuckle:: :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above

Event comments:

Fleet Feet always does a good job with their races. Course is a very fast one, and the atmosphere afterwards is always cheerful and fun. I love that this is within walking distance of my house!

Last updated: 2007-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:01 | 03.11 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 42/286
Performance: Good
Max HR 186 Avg HR 172 Mile#1: 6:41
Course: Very flat course mostly on canal path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-07 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Scarecrow Safe Journey 5k

2007-10-07 1:51 PM
in reply to: #995269

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Scarecrow Safe Journey 5k

Unbelievable run!!! Way to go Kam! 6:40 for the first mile is SMOKIN'!!

I love the mind tricks and games you play with yourself! That's great! Sorry to hear you weren't feeling good. I'll take a 7:05 avg "feeling like sh*t" any day of the week! 

Congrats on the hardware! 

2007-10-07 2:06 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Sounds like you had a fast run.  You're smok'n fast.   How do you do it?!?!

Congrads on the race time. 

2007-10-07 5:29 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I'd hate to see what it would take to make you happy for a run !  Great race as usual and I guess keep pushing yourself cause it is certainly paying off!
2007-10-07 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Great run.  I get the impression that you haven't worked much on your running recently and you get a great result like that!  WOW!  You certainly could compete with top female if you wanted to - you are just.....FAST!
2007-10-07 7:02 PM
in reply to: #995644

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
No, I don't think I could compete with the top female - Sarah Nazarian-Elliot.  She's awesome.  She scares the crap out of me every time I see her at a race!  Maybe top 3.  Could be a goal of mine someday!  Smile

2007-10-08 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Another race, another piece of hardware!    Great job when you weren't feeling your best!

When I grow up, I want to run 7:00 miles!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scarecrow Safe Journey 5k Rss Feed