General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new - learn to swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-08 1:03 PM

Subject: I'm new - learn to swim?
Hello. I am an avid runner and I have become increasingly interested triahlons. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could learn how to swim properly. I took swimming lessons as a kid and I can swim around pools and lakes and oceans no problem. But I want to get into lap swimming to begin training. I am concerned because I do not know how to properly swim and breathe at the same time. I always want to hold my head up out of the water so that I can breathe. When I swim with my head down in the water, I get tired from not breathing. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of places that might be able to teach me proper stroke and breathing techniques? I live in the Twin Cities. Thank you.

2007-10-08 1:21 PM
in reply to: #996788

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: I'm new - learn to swim?
I too had to learn to swim when I first started doing triathons. I actually went to the local pool (open lap swim) and started chatting with the life guards and other people at the pool. One woman that was training at the pool was also a triathlete and was extremely knowledgeable in swimming. The life guards there were also on the local swim team and they were nice enough to critique my stroke and within 2 months I was ready for my first triathlon...finishing 8th out of 50 in my age group on the swim portion. I met a lot of people at my first triathlon that I now train with. So check with your local pool or see if there is a group of triathletes in your town that train together. Hope this helps.
2007-10-09 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

The swim tips on this site or Total Imersion DVD works.  Also, local pools or Mastters swims often like ot take new swimmers under their wings.  You may alos consider hitting the forums here to find local participants that do OWS (open water swims) as most events are in Lakes or Oceans and pool swimming is not the same as out around the bouys!

Welcome to BT

2007-10-10 12:09 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I took swim lessons at my local Junior College.  They had a class for beginner swimmers.  The next semester, I took an intermediate class to help me work on my stroke.  The best part: it was in the evenings after work, and it cost less per class than open swim nights at the local pool.  And I got a coach and everything. 

Within 6 months of learning to swim, I finished my first tri. 

For you, the TI books might help.  Or you can find a masters swim class in your area.  The coaches at masters should be able to help you work on some drills and improve your technique.

Welcome to the insanity.   

2007-10-14 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
I'm in the same situation as you. I can run and bike, but die after just 50 yards of swimming. Last week, I signed up with the off-season training of our local tri-club, and with 3 days of drills and practice, I can already see the difference. A coach can make a difference, so try to find a tri-club, or a masters swim team, possibly with your local YMCA.
2007-10-15 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Welcome! I'm in your same situation. I know how to swim, but haven't got to a place where I am comfortable. I'm going to take a beginners swim class through my college this next semester. The biggest tip I got though was to get a swim cap and goggles if you don't already have them, and just get that face in the water.

2007-10-16 6:03 AM

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Time in the water...  I was always an avid dog paddler until I started tri-ing two years ago.  It helped me in the beginning to just to go to the pool 3x per week and try not to drown for 30-40m each session.  I couldn't even swim a length without stopping.  But it comes.  Once you can swim a few lengths, then its probably time to seek help in form of a workshop or Master's program before you develop bad habits.  Definitely try to start breathing on both sides at the start so you don't develop a "favorite" side.  I also think its worth it to start trying to do a flip turn relatively early.  Its really not that hard and makes your sessions seem more continuous.  Odd but true, there is a good underwater shot of a flip turn in Man on Fire that helped me see what actually happens underwater.  For my two cents, I think the Total Immersion weekend workshop is worth every penny once you've been swimming for a few months.  Swimming is 95% form, technique and comfort level.  Good luck.  Its pretty humbling, but nothing beats toe'ing the lline of a tri and swimming in open water.  ITS A RUSH!
2007-10-16 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale, Mi
In January, I decided to switch from duathlons to triathlons. I had never swam freestyle, hated fish, hated seaweed, hated seeing green in lake water. I got in the pool and barely could get one length in a pool. 6 months later, 1 finished my first triathon, and 8 months later, I did a half-ironman and I can keep up with all the guys I train with. I contribute my success to the following:

1) Keeping my head down (don't focus on anything else until you master that)
2) www.totalimmersion.net (watch the free videos and try to mimic what you see)
3) buy a wetsuit (it doesn't have to be expensive)
4) practice in a lake, as often as you can, even if it's windy and choppy
5) incorporate some weight training if you haven't already

My favorite leg of the race now is swimming, which is crazy to me, since I hated lakes. I also only do my triathlons in our Great Lakes, which don't have seaweed and are very clean which helps. Good luck and search the forums on this website to get more great suggestions. I'm now addicted to this website.

2007-10-23 9:25 PM

User image

Hey hope your training is coming along as for me and swimming, after more than 12 years without doing a lap in a pool and trying to do laps is not easy, beleive when I started working on my swim at my local pool I cound not even come close to a 300 meter swim total but I conquered that, with the help of triathletes whom are always ready to answer questions and I have 2 swim coaches and with their knowledge and me putting in the time in the pool I'm up to 1200 meters total after 4 months it takes a lot of patience and work. Try to surround yourself with triathletes, swimming groups, life guards, and swim coaches this will help big time good luck.
2007-10-24 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1021642

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Same boat here, My local YMCA has a stroke improvement class that I will be starting in December. Check in and see if yours does as well.
2007-10-27 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
I learned to swim open water due to a skydiving injury. it was part of my recovery.

there are great recommendation here, but one I would add it incorporating open water as soonj an you can.

the overall lesson I give in swimming is this. in time I hope it will make sense.

Swim while you breath verses breathing while you swim. Lead your pace, stroke, and tempo with your breath. When you try to breath as you swim, you run out of breath, and in open water it creates panic.

Swimming is breathing in water.

2007-10-27 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

lang0356 - 2007-10-08 2:03 PM Hello. I am an avid runner and I have become increasingly interested triahlons. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could learn how to swim properly. I took swimming lessons as a kid and I can swim around pools and lakes and oceans no problem. But I want to get into lap swimming to begin training. I am concerned because I do not know how to properly swim and breathe at the same time. I always want to hold my head up out of the water so that I can breathe. When I swim with my head down in the water, I get tired from not breathing. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of places that might be able to teach me proper stroke and breathing techniques? I live in the Twin Cities. Thank you.

you need to exhale while your head is under water - then you inhale when you turn your head to breathe.

try watching some videos on goswim.tv or youtube.com and maybe if your budget allows, you can hire a coach. many on this site recommend the total immersion or TI program as well, tho i've never tried it.

when i started out, i could not even do one lap and have since done several triathlons. believe me i swam like a stone at first - i'm still not fast, but i'm getting better.

2007-10-27 10:35 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Post all the questions you can and there are plenty of good swimmers to help you along. Welcome!!
2007-10-27 11:23 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
I am also just starting out and need help with the swim so I signed up for lessons at my Local Y here and start them next week I can't wait!!!
2007-11-06 10:37 AM

New user

Jacksonville
Total Immersion book or DVD. That is money in the bank.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new - learn to swim? Rss Feed