General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 48s
Overall Rank = 937/1031
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 84/86
Pre-race routine:

We were much more relaxed getting here. No transition to set up takes the pressure off. ...So we were late and had to get our wives to drop us off on 421 so we could walk the 3/4 mile or so to the start. SlimFast for breakfast even though its not my normal anymore. Should have had something else. I intended to have a PowerBar, but jumping out of the car on the side of the road threw me for a loop and I forgot the PowerBar and my cough drops.
Event warmup:

The long walk to the start and hopping around in the freezing cold waiting in the bathroom line. We couldn't wear the warm up clothes we wanted to because we didn't have the wives to hand it off to. They drove downtown to park.
Run
  • 2h 29m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

By 1.5 miles I only had like 10 people behind me. This was okay because I was planning to run 4:30/ walk 0:30 for the first 3 miles/ 36 minutes. I felt good resisting the urge to keep up and instead sticking to my plan.

My natural breaks were killing me, I had hit the tree line twice before 3 miles. Saw my wife and handed off my skull cap at 3 miles, then I just started jogging consistently aiming to get a little under 12 minute miles.

For the first hour, or hour and a half, I grabbed lime Gatorade at each stop and water for the rest of the race. I ate 2 packs of sportbeans over the first 8 miles, then ate a whole pack at mile 9 as I started to accelerate.

Everytime I got my average time down, I had to pee again. I skipped the 10 mile water stop, but did take an Oreo someone offered... not a good idea with nothing to drink. But I still ran pretty fast while choking down the cookie. I took it because I was a little hungry.

It felt good passing people, I hadn't even seen many people ahead of me since mile 2, now I was catching and passing a fair number of people. I kept accelerating because I knew it was going to be close beating my goal of 2:30.

I was sprinting to the finish line, feeling good, but almost out of gas, when I saw my 3 year old Zack coming toward me waving and reaching out his hand. I assumed he wanted to give me five, so I slowed enough to touch his hand and sprinted on. Turns out he wanted to run with me... man, I feel like a jerk. If I had known, I would have slowed down, screw the time goal; but it didn't even occur to me in that instant.

What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder all the way through. I conserved energy to make sure I would finish, now that I've done it I can push for faster times.

I guess Depends would chaffe. ;)
Post race
Warm down:

I almost fell down taking off my chip. Then a walk around, but Zack still wanted to run with me, so I had to race him back to mommy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bladder. Confidence. Leg muscles.

Event comments:

I like the bridges, the view is nice, although I kept thinking about the warning in the race info that the grates would turn our knees or face into hamburger if we fell.

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:48 | 13.1 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/86
Overall: 0/1031
Performance: Average
Course: 1 loop with 3 bridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-11-12 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K

2007-11-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1049710

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K
Good job beating your goal.  You couldn't have known your son wanted to run with you.  Next time I am sure you can run with him.
2007-11-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1049710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K
Nice job.  That is a tough distance to get through the first time.  It looks like you made your game plan and stuck to it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed