General Discussion Race Reports! » Phalunaless 50K Ultra Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Phalunaless 50K Ultra - RunUltra Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Port Richey, Florida
United States
Trail Luna Chicks
80F / 27C
Total Time = 4h 17m 40s
Overall Rank = 2/19
Age Group = Male Overall
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Usual...get up, take supplements, eat protein.

Upon waking up at 0500, I heard pouring rain on the roof at Terri and Pete's. Terri and I both rushed out to the center of the house and just stared at each other with stunned looks on our faces...and then we went back to what we were doing. I dragged Tom out of bed, poor thing, and he had a cup of coffee to try and wake up.

Betsy and Gina got there around 545 and we all headed to Starkey the rain.
Event warmup:

Upon our arrival, it was still drizzling. G, B, Terri, and I (Tom stayed in the car) went over to registration to get all that stuff taken care of. It stopped raining while we registered, and it started to get lighter. Soon it was time to get lined up. The race people took a few pictures and I took a gel with some water. I was ready to go!
  • 4h 17m 40s
  • 31.4 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile

The race director shouted "GO!!" and everyone took off. I took the lead immediately. I decided to run the first couple of miles at a good pace, trying to put a good distance between myself and the rest of the race. My first few miles seemed easy at 7:30 pace. There was a lot of sand in the first 2.5 miles. I arrived at the 2.5-mile aid station but did not stop. I knew I didn't have much time to spare. So I kept going. By the time I got to Mile 4, I was starting to need some nutrition, so I slowed my pace down to about 7:50. I was keeping a good distance between myself and the second place guy. It was about a 1 minute interval. Upon arriving at the turnaround aid station, I took a gel and chased it with some water. The guys at the aid station asked if I wanted some food and I told them probably next time around. Off I went. The second place guy arrived at the aid station about 30 seconds after I left. So I was still okay. I still felt great so I kept my pace under 8 minutes. I saw Betsy approaching the turnaround about 5 minutes after I left it, and we slapped hands. The half marathoners had started, so I saw G, Sue, and Shaun running. We all whooped at each other and I went on. I ran the course in reverse, noting the one long gradual incline that was ALL SAND. I knew that'd be my sticking point later on. I vowed not to walk it. I arrived back at the start/finish line in first place. Tom and Terri had all the stuff I needed (they were great jockstraps!!)...I downed some chicken broth and Coke, put two more gels on my race belt, and turned around to leave. I was supposed to take a bottle of Accelerade with me, but I forgot it. Off I went again!

As I started the second lap, I got about a minute in and noticed that second place was now a female runner...and she was FLYING!!! So instinctively stepped it up to keep my lead. The second lap was pretty much the same as the first, pace was a bit slower, but I still felt good. At about Mile 14 I saw Shaun again, and as I looked back after passing, I noticed the second place girl gaining on me HARD! I thought, here's where I give up first. Sure enough, at the turnaround point, Mile 15, we arrived at the aid station together. We chatted a bit, took some endurolytes, and ate a bit of food. We left the aid station together. I was breathing hard, she was not. We were running 7:30 pace. We introduced ourselves, her name is Christine. I ran with Christine for about a mile and decided it was time to hang back. I gave up the lead at Mile 16. I was still first place male so I was ok with that. I knew the second place guy was back there so I kept my pace around 8 minutes to make sure I kept that place. Again I ran the course in reverse. I saw Betsy again. She put up her hands in a "what happened" gesture, and I just said "Yep, she's fast!" I went on. The long gradual hill didn't slow me down on lap 2. I passed Terri about a mile from the start/finish area, we slapped hands and whooped. Christine passed me on her way out about 1 minute before I entered the start/finish area. She looked great. When I got to the start/finish area, Tom had my broth and Coke waiting again, which I drank with enthusiasm...I was tired and needed sugar. Then I got my gels and put them in my belt, and this time, took the Accelerade. The race peeps told me I was three minutes behind Christine. I told them "she can have the lead, she's way too fast for me!" They laughed. After focusing myself again, I was ready to go for the last lap!

Out I went! I was looking for the second place male. Didn't see him. I saw Terri again, although, I was so focused I almost missed her! Saw my half marathon buddies again. About 5 minutes in, I saw the second place guy...he was walking!! So at that point I knew that I would at least take first place male. But the girl in third place was gaining! So I kept up an 8:30 pace, but I knew I was slowing down. By the time I was at Mile 23 my pace was 9:10 or so. I was tired. The sand was just sucking the energy out of me. My feet were feeling heavy. It was starting to get hot out. Even with this pace though, I lapped a couple of the other racers. That felt good. When I got to the turnaround aid station, the crew had left to go get supplies. There was an almost empty bottle of Coke there. I drank it up...right from the bottle, and tossed it in the trash. Then I took my gel and some water. My Accelerade was all shaken up so I opened up the bottle, emptied it, and filled it with plain water. I was feeling dehydrated so I decided just to run on water and the last gel. I wanted to hit a 3:35 marathon split, but it wound up being 3:37. Still good. I was stil happy with that, since my marathon split at the Georgia 50K was 3:39. Being as tired as I was, I figured I'd get some Gatorade at the aid station 2.5 miles from the finish, just to keep the electrolytes in me. My splits were approaching the 10:00 pace mark now, but I managed to keep them around 9:50. When I got to the last aid station, I took my gel, swigged some water, and then took some Gatorade too. It was extremely difficult to start running again, but I knew I only had about 25 minutes left. I was at 3:54 on the clock. 2.5 miles to go. I tried my hardest to keep my pace up, but I was so tired and so sore from the sand that I barely managed to keep 11 minute miles. I saw Betsy about 2 miles into her last lap. She told me she was in pain, but she was pressing on! I was so proud of her!! As I approached that last hill, I was tired, but I manage to get up it without too much extra effort. It certainly wasn't as hard as that hill in the Georgia race. At a mile to go, I wanted to cry because it felt like I was never gonna get there. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, that girl in third place is catching up and I can't do anything about it. Little did I know that she was actually 38 minutes behind me.

Upon seeing the finish line ahead, I breathed a sigh of relief and tried as hard as I could to I just jogged across the line and stopped. Tom, G, Sue, Terri, and Shaun were there cheering me on. Pictures were taken. I stopped my Garmin and just bent over to breathe. One of the race directors gave me a glass of water. They asked if I was ok. I stood up and said "Let's do a CrossFit!!" and started doing squats on the spot. That lasted all of about 3 seconds. Then I needed to sit down.
What would you do differently?:

NOTHING!! This was a 10 minute 50K PR, and a 69 minute PR for THIS race. If I could learn to defy gravity, then maybe that's the answer to this question.
Post race
Warm down:

I relaxed a while, showered, and then Sue (my savior) massaged my feet and legs for a while because the bottoms of my feet were cramping. After a while, when Betsy hadn't finished yet, we went to go look for her. First Tom and I...we found B and as we were walking back with her, we found G who was coming out too. Then Sue joined us. We all walked Betsy in together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SAND!!! Hate that stuff!

Event comments:

It is a small race, but it's so well organized and very well stocked. It is fairly expensive, but they provide so much stuff. There is no shortage of food or drink. Very nice people and very nice participants. This is definitely a race I'd love to do for years to come.

Last updated: 2007-05-23 12:00 AM
04:17:40 | 31.4 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 2/19
Performance: Good
Course: Three loops of: 5 miles out, 5 miles back. Sand, pine needles, mud, and grass. Some of the course was shaded but about 30% of it was not. It got hot on lap 3!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

2007-12-31 2:30 PM

User image

Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Phalunaless 50K Ultra

2007-12-31 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1124881

User image

Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra



2007-12-31 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1124881

User image

Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
congrats on an awesome race !!! 
2008-01-01 4:11 AM
in reply to: #1124881

User image

Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
Unbelievable!!! What a fantastic result!! Congrats!!!
2008-01-01 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1124881

User image

Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
2008-01-01 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1124881

User image

Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
You are such a f*cking stud.  Great race!!!

2008-01-01 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1124881

User image

Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra

COngrats Jeff~

PB on the course and on a 50K race impressive and the course sounds tough with hill and sand.

You continue to improve, get faster, fitter, and very buff!

Awesome Jeff 

2008-01-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1124881

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra

whoa.  awesome.


I was reading that and imagining I was that Christine!  Like that's EVER gonna happen! 


2008-01-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1124881

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
I can't believe you did a 50K in 4:14... I've had marathons slower than that. Congratulations on an awesome race. Reading all your ultra race reports actually has me entertaining the idea of trying one. Oh no, I'd better stop reading your race reports. Congrats again. I'm excited to read the Gasparilla rr.
2008-01-02 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1124881

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-02 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1124881

Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
You rock!

2008-01-02 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1124881

Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
Awesome job getting a PR on a sandy course!
2008-01-04 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1124881

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
Well done my friend!  You looked good out there.  Super athletic, good posture, tight frame...I know Tom was excited  That was a fun race, for sure.  Can't wait til the ultra for me.
2008-01-13 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1124881

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Phalunaless 50K Ultra
Awesome running Jeff. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Phalunaless 50K Ultra Rss Feed