General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-23 8:30 AM

Regular
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal
There's an article in the WSJ this morning about triathlon and how some use the internet to find easy races with few participants, just so they can "win" a medal or trophy. If you don't get the paper edition, it's at the following link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118255420792545333.html?mod=home_we...

As a newb, I'd be interested what others think. Personally, I think it's really lame, but I've been accused of being harsh before.

j

2007-06-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: #856845

User image

Master
Portland, ME
Subject: RE: Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal

Pros do it all the time. Do you ever wonder why pro fields are always small? It's because they scout out races to figure which races they have the best chance to win prize money in.

I have no problem with someone doing their homework to find races that have weak fields if they want to win.

When I played mid and high stakes poker, half the game was making sure you sat yourself at the table with the most donks and fishes and avoided the sharks.

Some do sports for the experience and the fun of jogging around in lycra and some do it to crush the competition. To each his own.  

Edited by Jackemy 2007-06-23 9:05 AM
2007-06-23 10:21 AM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
At least the article gives a shout out to BT !!
2007-06-23 10:35 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-23 11:37 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Big money = really competitive field

Little money = hit or miss

No money = usually pretty slow field

Example is at the 10k/5k that I did at the beginning of the month.  They were paying out really well (3 deep) in overall, masters overall, and age group in the 10k and that brought out all the fast people in the Baltimore area.  But the same day the 5k field was weak as hell with the winner not even cracking 21 minutes.  I would have won that race by almost 3 minutes if I had done it ...... but what's the point??  There was no pay out and it would not have been a challenge.

For pros that are in the sport to make a paycheck and get sponsors, it makes sense.  For amateurs I just don't get it.  What does having a higher USAT ranking get you?  Maybe a few small sponsors, but that's about it.

2007-06-23 11:56 AM
in reply to: #856922

Master
Portland, ME
Daremo - 2007-06-23 11:37 AM

Big money = really competitive field

Little money = hit or miss

No money = usually pretty slow field

Example is at the 10k/5k that I did at the beginning of the month.  They were paying out really well (3 deep) in overall, masters overall, and age group in the 10k and that brought out all the fast people in the Baltimore area.  But the same day the 5k field was weak as hell with the winner not even cracking 21 minutes.  I would have won that race by almost 3 minutes if I had done it ...... but what's the point??  There was no pay out and it would not have been a challenge.

For pros that are in the sport to make a paycheck and get sponsors, it makes sense.  For amateurs I just don't get it.  What does having a higher USAT ranking get you?  Maybe a few small sponsors, but that's about it.

I think the way the USAT point system works is that you should get the same rating regardless of the competition in the field.  

2007-06-23 12:08 PM

Regular
Eugene, Oregon
I agree that knowing one's competition is a good thing. Helps you set training goals, etc. When I first started asking myself if I wanted to try this, I looked at race results to see what I needed to try to eventually do to be competitive. I guess everyone has their own reasons for doing mutisport, and I have mine. I guess I saw this article as presenting some of the reasons as being somewhat shallow instead of focusing on the personal improvement and the positive healthy lifestyle aspects of training for a triathlon.

Good luck out there everyone meeting your goals, whatever they are!

j
2007-06-23 12:24 PM

Coach
Boston, MA

x2. I now many pros around here who pick near by races with $$ not necessarily for the weak fields (as a pro you never know who will show up that day anyway) but to attempt getting little spending $$. I mean they are going to have a hard training day anyway, why not get a bit of moey while doing so. Plus, it is known how most pros can't afford make a leaving out of tris and the smaller races with usually pay small cash prices anyway (maybe up to $500.00) which in the big picture is nothing.

Now, for AGers doing that, I don't get it indeed, I guess they need of get some validation for what you do which as an Agers should be more of a lifestyle IMO. But some people like to be the big fish in a small pond and winning a 50 cents medal provides them a mean to seek recognition from others. What's funny though is that this are the same MOPers who in most races act like they should be treated as a pro, they usually have an attitude and are those either cheating and/or been mean towards volunteers, ugh! I guess they are pissed cuz they don't have the fire and commitment to train LOTS and will remain MOP... They should know we are all winners anyway 

2007-06-23 1:57 PM

Master
Royersford, PA
Well some of those "cherry pickers" did a poor job of picking races according to the pictures. The guy who like small, flat tri pictured in the Wildflower Oly? The guy in the New Jersey Devilman Half Iron (my first HIM) , while it was the first year of the event, he finished 113th, and 9/34 in the Clides cat (I would request a re-weigh there if it had mattered cause he would have been bottom half in the AG cat) even with a respectible time.

One of my long term goals is to medal in my AG at a tri, but cherry pickin to get a minisule field wouldn't be very satisfying cause it would have an asterisk in my mind. Of course my age group (M35-39) always seems large enough to have its own wave. So that shouldn't be a problem for many years.

But to each their own.
2007-06-23 2:44 PM

Champion
MA

I posted this after reading the article but hadn't seen this thread first.

The thing is we can only control what we do, how we train & how we race. We don't know who else is showing up and how they trained.

I have come in 1st a couple times in Athena, once I was the only one in my division...not very satisfying. I know many folks think Clydes/Athena is sort of a bogus division. When I started tri'ing I was in the 190's, and it made me feel I could do it as there may be others like me. I think it gave me the courage to try. Now I can't wait to get under 150 so I don't have the option any more.

As an Athena even though I'm old sometimes I place, sometimes I don't. On a few occasions I would have placed higher in my AG then Athena.

I don't do this to win or get medals but it is nice on the occasion it happens. It is about the challenge and working on getting better/faster.

I don't see how doing a small race is going to get your more USAT points. Last year they switched to a new point system based on I'm blanking on the what they call certain people who are like the standard and how they did at the race, and it is sort of equalization system. So if no one that placed high does the race, the points you get are lower. It is complicated system (see the USAT site for more information as I'm explaining it poorly) but coming in 1st OA or in your AG at a small race you most likely will get fewer points than coming in 5th in a huge race.

2007-06-23 4:04 PM

2007-06-23 4:28 PM

Master
State of Confusion

Bragging rights. For those with big egos, bragging rights can be more important than the big (or even small) payout. I know a few people like that.

2007-06-23 6:03 PM
in reply to: #857021

Coach
Boston, MA
Hey Kathy, I like the new avatar a lot better!
2007-06-23 8:25 PM
in reply to: #857099

Champion
MA

amiine - 2007-06-23 7:03 PM Hey Kathy, I like the new avatar a lot better!

Me too...tired of thinking of me being injured...rather think of me riding 

2007-06-23 10:19 PM

Veteran
Lutz, Florida

This article just pisses me off.  Here you have a couple of sports where people push themselves to the limit....some for awards, some for money, some for bragging rights and some just to see if they can.  Those who want to compete with others can, and those who want to compete with themselves can also do so on the same field at the same time.  A positive article in the paper wouldn't gather much attention, but if they spin it so that these triathletes and marathoners are doing something of questionable ethics....well then it is a more compelling article.

Come on Wall Street Journal, get back to reporting the financial news and if you are going to report on our sports, report on them for the great things they do for people, not some manufactured negative slight. 

2007-06-24 6:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

My take is that I don't care.  I'm out there racing for my own personal reasons.  I enter a lot of small local races that have 150 entrants or less.  I've occasionally won an AG award because there were three or less.  I think it's funny more than anything.  That Athlinks site is cool, but doesn't come close to tracking local small races.  It has me listed for one race, but I looked on my BT RR log and I've done something like 14 races in the past 2 years.

So if someone from out of the area shows up at one of our small local races just so they can win, so be it.  I don't care.  Just don't be running past me with your mp3 player on.  Now that would make me mad. 

2007-06-24 7:54 AM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I had posted in Kathy's thread, but wanted to throw in here as well. I know a lot of AG'ers and even a local Pro or two how show up a little dinky races to just destroy everyone to pad their USAT points. I think it's pathetic. I've never even considered entering a race with fewer than 300 people in the competition.
2007-06-24 8:40 AM
in reply to: #857324

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

bryancd - 2007-06-24 7:54 AM I had posted in Kathy's thread, but wanted to throw in here as well. I know a lot of AG'ers and even a local Pro or two how show up a little dinky races to just destroy everyone to pad their USAT points. I think it's pathetic. I've never even considered entering a race with fewer than 300 people in the competition.

It's great that you're a stud and are above racing in smaller races, but around here they're the backbone of the sport. If I limited myself to races of >300 participants, I would do two races per year or do a LOT of travelling. Similarly, a lot of people would never do their first race if they had your attitude toward smaller races.

Ironically, or maybe not, the two races that counted toward my USAT rankings last year were the two with over 300 participants

2007-06-24 10:07 AM

Master
La Crosse
Okay, I feel that I need to step in here to defend my honor a bit. I was interviewed for this story about a month ago, and some quotes from the interview appear in the final story. At the time, my discussion with the reporter indicated that the story would be about the surge in recreational triathletes. I was happy to take the opportunity to talk about my own reasons for doing triathlons, which are mostly about fitness and keeping motivated for daily workouts and not about competition. I also thought it would be a good opportunity to highlight BT, which has been an important motivational resource for me. I told some folks here on BT that I had been contacted by the reporter and hoped to promote BT through the interview.

The author contacted me this last week to fact-check the quotes, and I could tell at that time that the argument of the story had drifted away from the original thrust of our discussion to focus on "cherry-picking" races. So, the author included quotes from me that supported that argument. I wasn't hugely pleased about that, since there were a few errors or ommissions in that bit, and that's only a small part of my motivation and was a very small part of the interview. But I asked him if he included reference to BT, and he said there was a note of BT in the included list of websites, so I thought that continued to support BT.

I can see and understand the reasoning behind his choice of a central argument for the article, but I think that the headline and parts of the story are a bit inflammatory, and certainly don't reflect my own thoughts or actions when it comes to races. So please allow me to defend my honor a bit, and then we can move on and forget this whole affair (I hope):

-----Disclaimer------

Okay, I don't "cherry-pick" races to find ones I can win. I choose races based upon cost, travel distance, and whether they're a part of the race series organized by the race company I like. The story makes a point of me travelling 50 miles to a race, implying that I'm driving that distance to find a race I can win. That's just not true -- I live in rural middle America -- that's the race that's CLOSEST to me. No joke.

I don't run tris to win. I race in order to give me motivation to train every day, because I think fitness is important to my mental health, and because I'm concerned about a history of weight gain and heart disease in my family. My goal is to stay fit and active for as large of a chunk of my life as possible. This doesn't show up in the story at all.

The story has me getting 3rd of 7 in a race. This is true; but he named the wrong race (which I corrected when he called me to fact-check, but it was still wrong in the final version). It also describes me getting the award in a post-race awards ceremony. Not true; there was no ceremony, they just handed out plaques as people crossed the finish line. I did scream very loud, though. I was excited. And I do believe that there's a difference between age groupers and elites; I'm never going to be an elite, and I'm okay with that.

-----End Disclaimer------

My final note is a plea to keep my actual name out of this thread; I've been trying to keep my personal and my professional lives separate. You never know who's googling your name . . .
2007-06-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: #857344

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
the bear - 2007-06-24 8:40 AM

bryancd - 2007-06-24 7:54 AM I had posted in Kathy's thread, but wanted to throw in here as well. I know a lot of AG'ers and even a local Pro or two how show up a little dinky races to just destroy everyone to pad their USAT points. I think it's pathetic. I've never even considered entering a race with fewer than 300 people in the competition.

It's great that you're a stud and are above racing in smaller races, but around here they're the backbone of the sport. If I limited myself to races of >300 participants, I would do two races per year or do a LOT of travelling. Similarly, a lot of people would never do their first race if they had your attitude toward smaller races.

Ironically, or maybe not, the two races that counted toward my USAT rankings last year were the two with over 300 participants

Way to totally miss my point. The issue is NOT if small races are great for the sport, fun to do, an excellent way to bring new people into triathlon, ect. What IS the issue the article raises is competetive athletes intentionly using these races to win simply for the sake of winning as opposed to challenging themselves against a more copmpetetive field. Could I show up at the local YMCA sponsored Sprint, filled with families and young kids, and win the whole thing without trying? Sure, it it may even be a USAT sanctioned race, but I wouldn't. I know COMPETETIVE athletes who do andd I think it's weak.

Edited by bryancd 2007-06-24 10:23 AM
2007-06-24 12:38 PM
in reply to: #857401

Master
Royersford, PA
stupidnickname - 2007-06-24 11:07 AM

-----Disclaimer------

Okay, I don't "cherry-pick" races to find ones I can win. I choose races based upon cost, travel distance, and whether they're a part of the race series organized by the race company I like. The story makes a point of me travelling 50 miles to a race, implying that I'm driving that distance to find a race I can win. That's just not true -- I live in rural middle America -- that's the race that's CLOSEST to me. No joke.

The article rubbed alot of folks the wrong way and thats the reporters fault. He had an agenda and wanted to write a story that would get people riled up. It worked. Personally, I didn't take your example as "cherry picking", the article didn't imply you searched out the race for a small field as some of the others did. That and you did get the BT plug in, which was the positive aspect of the article. .

I just got a kick out of the guy, from my area, who tried to cherry pick and failed miserably.

2007-06-25 9:13 AM

Champion
Fairport, NY

FWIW, the WSJ has a history of printing these kinds of articles about triathlon. A couple years ago it printed an article about how the existence of races shorter than IM distance proved that triathlon is going "soft".

I'll get my financial news from the WSJ, but when it comes to lifestyle stuff like triathlon, it's not much better than the NY Post.

2007-06-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: #858463

Veteran
NYC
marmadaddy - 2007-06-25 10:13 AM

FWIW, the WSJ has a history of printing these kinds of articles about triathlon. A couple years ago it printed an article about how the existence of races shorter than IM distance proved that triathlon is going "soft".

I'll get my financial news from the WSJ, but when it comes to lifestyle stuff like triathlon, it's not much better than the NY Post.

true dat. i was just thinking the same thing. remember this completely retarded article they did a few years ago as well?

I work on wall street. i deal with enough type-a douchebags on the trading floor... and thanks to WSJ fueling "tris as status sport du jour" these people are going to hemorage over from golf and up clog my lane in the pool. grrr

edit... ha... we linked to the same article

Edited by TacomaLuv 2007-06-25 3:38 PM
2007-06-25 4:00 PM

Edited by surfwallace 2007-06-25 4:05 PM
2007-06-25 4:28 PM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah do not even get me start with how race like the IM are softing up the sport.l The sport is not real until the double ironman level

Well I tried to cherry pick a race and it would worked if I did my a/g and not my weight class. That race had 4 different weight divisions and if I was in any other weight division or in my a/g I would have won something.

hardware is hardware and being 290 lbs I take what I can get. It is always fun to win. I do not do short races because I have no shot at winning so why even bother with them. When I do a marathon I rarely win (ok I placed once ), but I find those fun because I like the challege of it. I do not do 5ks or 10ks because I do not have a shot of coming close to winning so I figure why bother. A HIM or a marathon I feel its something special when you finish and a 5k and 10k are nothing unless you win.

A friend of mine who comes back to Chicago every year where she tries to qualify for the Olympics trials found a small 5k week before. She figures she can run the race win it and get $200. For her its about getting a good practice run in and getting some money.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon/Triathlon article in Wall Street Journal Rss Feed  

of 2