General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-12-22 11:45 AM

User image

Chicago
Subject: Winter Running shoes
Just curious as to if you run in different shoes in the winter. For years I have just been wearing my normal running shoes but this year I am thinking about switching it up to some light trail shoes like solomons or something. I guess my thought process is when its nasty here in chicago i could wear trail shoes instead of getting all the water and salt damage to my normal running shoes.

2011-12-22 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3949910

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Winter Running shoes
Nah, I haven't changed my shoes in the winter - usually my shoes are nearly toast mileage-wise by the end of winter.  I do wear the 'winter weight' socks (double layer and thicker) which i think are awesome. 
2011-12-22 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I run all winter long here in VT. I usually just carry on with whatever I've been training in (currently the NB 890s). If the sidewalks haven't been cleared after a new snow, or if it's particularly icy, I have a pair of Screw Shoes on hand. The link will suggest using regular machine screws, but I've done that and they don't last as long as the screws I buy specifically for this purpose at EMS.

I've also got friends who run in Ice Bugs. They swear by them. The link will take you to one version, but they have other versions depending on your foot strike needs.

I think trail shoes would suffice through most winter conditions ... I don't even switch to those. I run a little slower and plant my foot with a bit more caution. I also notice that my lower leg muscles need a couple of weeks to work up to all the "micro-balancing" I do over ice and frozen snow. I usually take one or two really good spills before the winter is over.

Although ... today, December 22nd, I was in shorts with zero snow in sight.

2011-12-22 12:10 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I run in the NB Minimus trail during most of the year (even on the road).  Winter for us means rain...and lots of it.  And flooding.  And then more rain.  And mud. This year, I bought a pair of the NB Minimus Multi-trail and they are basically the exact same shoe I normally wear except that instead of being full of vents, they are waterproof.  THEY ROCK!  I love, love, love that my feet stay dry now for winter runs.

Last year, I just ran on the dreadmill when the weather was bad...which was pretty much all winter.  I'm so happy to have so many more outdoor runs this winter!

2011-12-22 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
In the past I used just normal road shoes.  My road shoes are currently dead so I have been running in my Patagonia trail shoes (getting new road shoes tonight).  I like the Patagonia's so much I have Santa bringing me the exact same pair with Gore-Tex.  The will see off-road run in the winter too and I am really looking forward to how they work in the NH winters.  The windproofness is what I am really waiting to test out.
2011-12-22 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Depending on conditions I'll use trail shoes occasionally. That would be maybe 1-4 inches of wetter snow. On snowpacked roads with no ice I just wear my regular shoes. When the roads get icy I'll use screw shoes. In really deep snow I often use my spikeless XC racing shoes as they're easier to run in when forced to make a higher leg lift for long periods.

What sort of conditions are you considering for the trail shoes? If it's just for keeping your feet dry, there are several models of Goretex shoes that would work well. Various trail shoes use Goretex as well as some road shoes from a few brands.

For keeping warm, the right socks make all the difference. I happen to have lots of ski socks and they work very well, but there are certainly many other choices.

2011-12-22 12:42 PM

User image

Chicago
I guess I am looking for a durable shoe that will keep my feet dry and the added traction from going to icy pavement to snow and back. Chicago roads/sidewalks once it snows are a mix of dirty sloshy salt mix with some snow. So my shoes take quite a beating along with my feet. I have lived in some cold places before but never one that put down so much salt. 1/8 inch of snow is equal to 1/2 inch of salt.
2011-12-22 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3950039

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I prefer trail shoes when there's any accumulated snow because of the lugs.  The waterproofing helps too, along with wool socks.  I live in MN so I think our snow lasts longer here, but I would recommend them for those conditions.  If I can get down to pavement, I go with my regular running shoes only because I don't like the trail shoes as much.

As I see it, you're going to get a few new pairs of shoes each year anyway.  Why not have the trail shoes?  Then you're ready to go for a "real" trail run any time of the year, too.

2011-12-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3950084

User image

Chicago
BikerGrrrl - 2011-12-22 12:42 PM

I prefer trail shoes when there's any accumulated snow because of the lugs.  The waterproofing helps too, along with wool socks.  I live in MN so I think our snow lasts longer here, but I would recommend them for those conditions.  If I can get down to pavement, I go with my regular running shoes only because I don't like the trail shoes as much.

As I see it, you're going to get a few new pairs of shoes each year anyway.  Why not have the trail shoes?  Then you're ready to go for a "real" trail run any time of the year, too.

And I think you just gave me a reason to use to convince the wife to let me get them. Score for Bikergirl

2011-12-22 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3950098

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thomasski - 2011-12-22 12:47 PM
BikerGrrrl - 2011-12-22 12:42 PM

And I think you just gave me a reason to use to convince the wife to let me get them. Score for Bikergirl

I have a gift for rationalizing purchases.  It also helps that they seem to be cheaper than regular shoes.

2011-12-22 1:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-12-22 2:02 PM

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I didn't last year, but this year I got Salomon XT Wings 2 designed for trail or road running. Great shoe! and a bit warmer and dryer than my normal running shoes.
2011-12-23 8:58 AM

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY
My regular shoes have big cavities in the sole (Mizuno wave nirvana) so I use trail shoes in the winter. My choice is Brooks ASR.
2011-12-23 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3951236

Master
Burlington, Vermont

benjaminjacobso - 2011-12-23 9:58 AM My regular shoes have big cavities in the sole (Mizuno wave nirvana) so I use trail shoes in the winter. My choice is Brooks ASR.

I stopped wearing Mizunos for this very reason. I even have corresponded with them over the issue. That heel cavity collects little snowballs and it feels like you're running on golf balls with each step. They pretty much told me they wouldn't be changing anything. Terrible design flaw, in my opinion.

2011-12-23 4:58 PM

Veteran
, Nova Scotia
I lived in Winnipeg Canada for the past two winters, and ran in NB 759TR trail runners all winter. They are made on the same last as my regular NB shoes, so the fit was the same. They were warmer, drier, and had better tread than summer shoes and were comfortable down to -30C. The downside is that the cushioning is much stiffer, so they were only usable on packed snow or slush. They were too hard for clean, dry pavement.<br><br>The upside is that, depending on your winter mileage, you will a pair of trail shoes for off road running in the summer. An awesome workout.<br><br>
2011-12-23 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3949937

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
BernardDogs - 2011-12-22 12:52 PM

I run all winter long here in VT. I usually just carry on with whatever I've been training in (currently the NB 890s). If the sidewalks haven't been cleared after a new snow, or if it's particularly icy, I have a pair of Screw Shoes on hand. The link will suggest using regular machine screws, but I've done that and they don't last as long as the screws I buy specifically for this purpose at EMS.

I've also got friends who run in Ice Bugs. They swear by them. The link will take you to one version, but they have other versions depending on your foot strike needs.

I think trail shoes would suffice through most winter conditions ... I don't even switch to those. I run a little slower and plant my foot with a bit more caution. I also notice that my lower leg muscles need a couple of weeks to work up to all the "micro-balancing" I do over ice and frozen snow. I usually take one or two really good spills before the winter is over.

Ah, very cool man!  I'm from VT also.  I could have used those tonight.  The rain in NH wetted the roads and they were quite slippery to run on when the sun went down!  Thanks for the link.

2011-12-23 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3951886

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

I run in snow, on trails, when I'm home in Utah during the winter... can't stand road running any time of the year.

Same shoes, doubled socks in winter. The key for me though is some mid calf gaiters which clip to my shoelace on the front, string under the heel, and velcro up the back. These do a good job of keeping my feet mostly dry even when running with very 'meshy' trail running shoes in the snow.

2011-12-23 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3951886

Master
Burlington, Vermont
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-23 6:08 PM

Ah, very cool man!  I'm from VT also.  I could have used those tonight.  The rain in NH wetted the roads and they were quite slippery to run on when the sun went down!  Thanks for the link.

Nice to "meet" you ... glad I could provide the links. I run Reach the Beach each year ... love that race. Let me know if you plan on racing anything in VT this year. I always enjoy meeting up with new folks. I'll be racing my first tris this year ... the Lake Dunmore series and a June one up here near Burlington. I think I've listed them in my planned races.

2011-12-24 12:43 AM
in reply to: #3949937

Veteran
Coeur d' Alene, ID
BernardDogs - 2011-12-22 9:52 AM

thanks for the link on the screw shoes. I wish that I would have seen this last year before I sliped on the ice and broke both bones in my leg in two pices. I will put the screws in before I run next.

2011-12-24 1:51 AM

Medford Oregon
Brooks ST5's and T7's year round! Although I do have a pair of GTX that I wear if I'm doing gnarly trails, but that is on rare occasions!
2011-12-24 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3952197

Master
Burlington, Vermont

mark.evans - 2011-12-24 1:43 AM

thanks for the link on the screw shoes. I wish that I would have seen this last year before I sliped on the ice and broke both bones in my leg in two pices. I will put the screws in before I run next.

Don't let them give you an abundance of confidence. They've got nice bite, but you can still slip and fall. And they're annoying to use on dry pavement. I really only use them for really icy conditions.

2011-12-24 12:09 PM

Expert
St. Paul, MN
My 13-time-marathon-runner wife figured out 2 years ago that trail shoes were GREAT winter running shoes here in MN.

- They don't breathe as much so your feet stay warmer.
- They offer more stability on uneven packed snow.
- They usually have better grip.

When it gets really cold (15 below or colder), we put duct tape over the top of our shoes to cut down even more on the cold air getting into our shoes. Good luck! Have fun!
2011-12-24 2:57 PM

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I ran all last winter using Yak Trax for traction when the roads in Maine were covered in snow and ice, they did a Great job and slip right over any shoe you have. If we ever have winter I will be using them again.
2011-12-28 10:35 AM

New user

northern IL, USA
from my five or so years of constantly running single track, snow covered trails in northern IL I have discovered that it is all about the socks. SmartWool is the way to go. My first winter of running through snow trails I wore thin bike socks under a pair of cotton and that worked fine, but once I discovered SmartWool I was converted.

Here is a link to my favorite pair... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KH682U/ref=asc_df_B002KH682U1837051?sm...

2011-12-28 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3952574

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

stevestenzel - 2011-12-24 12:09 PM My 13-time-marathon-runner wife figured out 2 years ago that trail shoes were GREAT winter running shoes here in MN. - They don't breathe as much so your feet stay warmer. - They offer more stability on uneven packed snow. - They usually have better grip. When it gets really cold (15 below or colder), we put duct tape over the top of our shoes to cut down even more on the cold air getting into our shoes. Good luck! Have fun!

x2 and also in MN.  I am on my third pair of Brooks Cascadia and use them for nasty outside runs in MN in the winter and trail running/hiking in the summer.  I also use Smartwool socks in the winter.

Edited by ejshowers 2011-12-28 10:40 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Running shoes Rss Feed  

of 2