General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming - path of the stroke question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-03-30 8:29 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: swimming - path of the stroke question

I've read about hand entry location, reach forward, glide and pull.  I feel like I'm so-so at that.  One area where I am really incosistent is on the pull.  Sometimes I pull down straight underneath me and sometimes I pull a little more to the side (shoulder width) and sometimes I pull a little more, almost like a sweep.  What is the idea location for the path of the pull?  Imagine you are swimming and from you navel straight down is 0 and think of an arc to the 90 degree point on the water next to you.  Where along that arc do you want your pull stroke to be?  0?  5 deg?  15 deg?

I'm using the arc example to eliminate the confusion that can come up when you talk arm relative to body position because then you have to factor in how much I'm rolling my body side to side and i'm trying to keep the discussion simple.  If you want to factor that into your comment though, feel free!  I need all the advice here I can get.

2007-03-30 8:39 AM
in reply to: #742952

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: swimming - path of the stroke question
Watch this dude....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dJs0ToB_z4

You want to make sure you're making what would resemble part of an "s"

Don't pull straight down - lose power - don't pull as much water

Don't pull across the chest - creates wicked cross over and you'll fish through the water. this also shortens your pull

2007-03-30 9:10 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Your hand should enter the water in about a straight line forward from your shoulder and from that point should not deviate at all from that path.  It goes DOWN into the water but not out to the sides at all.

Hand enters, glide, pull starts by you pressing the hand down while keeping the elbow high.  (Think of pulling over a barrel.)  IF your elbow drops you lose power.  At chest level your hand elbow and shoulder should be pretty much forming a 90 degree angle.  Then push straight back to the hip.

You're trying to push the same piece of water.  Another way I've heard it described is that your hand is "anchored" on the water and you move your body past your hand.

The S-shape seen in swim videos is NOT formed by the person waving their hand around under water, it's formed by the rotation of your body past your hand.  Something I had to totally relearn, and if I can save someone else the pain...

2007-03-30 10:13 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Ok, I'm not trying to be difficult, but one of you says don't push straight down and the other says push straight down.  I have a feeling you both mean the same thing, I'm just not understanding it. 

The video looks like it will be a lot of help, I can't watch the whole thing until later, though.  Thanks, Grant. 

2007-03-30 10:50 AM

User image

Master
New York
I was taught along the lines of Hayes' response...I do the slight S motion with my hand. I'm pulling "straight down," but your arm shouldn't be straight during the pull...you don't want to look like a windmill.
2007-03-30 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Ok, with the 'high-elbow' idea, where do your elbows go?  I feel like such an idiot, but if my hand enters in line with my shoulder, and my body rotates for the glide part, I can't figure out the phsyics of where my elbow goes when I start my pull.  There's just no place for it to stay "high."  High in relation to what?  If I was to lay flat on my stomach with no rotation, I could understand 'high', but when I'm laying on my side in the water I just can't make my joints bend to keep my hand under my elbow. 

Does this make any sense at all? 

2007-03-30 1:41 PM

User image

Master
New York
My understanding of the "high elbow" (at least according to how I was taught) was that when your arm is out of the water, you want to keep your arm bent with the elbow at the apex. The drill that I did over and over and over to reinforce this was to drag my fingertips across the water on the stroke recovery. You can't do it if your elbow is low to the water. As for keeping it high during the pull, well, I got nuthin'.
2007-03-30 1:46 PM
in reply to: #743390

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
KenyonTri - 2007-03-30 12:41 PM

My understanding of the "high elbow" (at least according to how I was taught) was that when your arm is out of the water, you want to keep your arm bent with the elbow at the apex. The drill that I did over and over and over to reinforce this was to drag my fingertips across the water on the stroke recovery. You can't do it if your elbow is low to the water. As for keeping it high during the pull, well, I got nuthin'.

High elbow in this case refers to your PULL, not the recovery. Your recovery stroke doesn't affect your efficiency through the water, but it may torque your shoulder a bit. The OP in this thread doesn't need to work on their recovery.
2007-03-30 1:49 PM
in reply to: #743311

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I don't think your elbows "go" anywhere.  They stay "high" while you drop your hand and forearm, creating your "paddle" for the pull.

Edit: And ditto what ABear says.  I think high elbows in the recovery may help set up other elements of your stroke better, but doesn't have any impact to your speed through the water in and of itself.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2007-03-30 1:51 PM
2007-03-30 1:54 PM
in reply to: #743311

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
c_cic - 2007-03-30 11:32 AM

Ok, with the 'high-elbow' idea, where do your elbows go? I feel like such an idiot, but if my hand enters in line with my shoulder, and my body rotates for the glide part, I can't figure out the phsyics of where my elbow goes when I start my pull. There's just no place for it to stay "high." High in relation to what? If I was to lay flat on my stomach with no rotation, I could understand 'high', but when I'm laying on my side in the water I just can't make my joints bend to keep my hand under my elbow.

Does this make any sense at all?

"High" is relative to your hand. Imagine laying flat on a bench, face down like on the Halo Trainer
http://www.haloswimtraining.com/guest/index.php

When your hand enters, your elbow quickly bends tp 90 degrees as your arm rotates inward which causes an early catch out in front of you with as much of your forearm contacting the water perpendicular to your path of motion. Imagine now, your arm is still in front of you and on the flat position on the bench, your upper arm stays parallel to your upper back and your forearm rotates all the way so your hand is pointing at the bottom of the pool. In the halo trainer video, the arm is sort of "draped" over the edge of the plastic guide on the bench. From this position, the relative positions of the hand and elbow stay the same, the upper arm remains parallel to the upper back, and as a unit your arm sweeps along the arc of the plastic guide. THis is NOT to form an S shape, but because of the mechanics of the way your arm works, its the only possible way to keep your foream totally perpendicular to your path of movement and keep yoru elbow "high" or inline with your upper back. This engages your large Lat muscles instead of the smaller pec minor muscles which get engaged of your hand crosses under your chest. The end of the stroke is a push back straight towards your hip as if you are performing a two handed press out of the water on the side ofthe pool.

The first poster who said "Dont push down" meant don't push down towards the bottom ofthe pool. The second poster who said" Don't push down" meant DO push down towards your hip.

It's very difficult to describe in 3 dimensions which is why a tool like the halotrainer is helpful or of course, a hands on coach.

I spent about 2 minutes on the halotrainer with Craig, the talking head in the video while I was at a conference and had a huge "AHA" moment. For all teh reading about "high elbow", I never realized what it was until he showed me. It literally took less than two minutes and completely transformed my stroke.

Hope that helps. Watch the halotrainer video, then watch some of the You tube videos of the
good swimmers.

EDIT:

Specifically, wathc the High Elbow Catch portion on the halo trainer video.

(finally, a non TI swim help post!)

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-03-30 1:57 PM
2007-03-30 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
The easiest way I have had it explained to me is pretend like you are carrying a basketball under your arm. Get in the pool ... take a few laps and think about that

2007-03-30 2:43 PM
in reply to: #743409

User image

Veteran
Calgary
AdventureBear - 2007-03-30 12:54 PM

Specifically, wathc the High Elbow Catch portion on the halo trainer video.

Egads! I need to get to the pool RIGHT NOW and try this. I had absolutely no idea what this meant until I watched that 2 minute video.

Thanks!

2007-03-30 2:53 PM
in reply to: #743399

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

AdventureBear - 2007-03-30 1:46 PM High elbow in this case refers to your PULL, not the recovery. Your recovery stroke doesn't affect your efficiency through the water, but it may torque your shoulder a bit. The OP in this thread doesn't need to work on their recovery.

The OP in this thread didn't ask for advice on their recovery.  Yet!  Doesn't mean I don't need it!

One step at a time.   And thanks, everyone, for all the great advice.  And I agree AB - I was hoping I wouldn't get a bunch of "You should read TI" posts.  Not bagging on TI, just that I want to hear personal descriptions from people I know and trust.  If they learned it from TI that's fine with me.  Whatever, as long as it helps me keep up with Schmize get faster.

Edited by hangloose 2007-03-30 3:04 PM
2007-03-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: #743009

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

The S-shape seen in swim videos is NOT formed by the person waving their hand around under water, it's formed by the rotation of your body past your hand.  Something I had to totally relearn, and if I can save someone else the pain...

I sooooo wish someone had made that clear when I was first learning to swim. I've been making big swooshy S's for years.  Now I'm trying to UN-learn that.  Grrr. 

2007-03-30 4:06 PM
in reply to: #742964

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

Nice video, but now I'm confused about my entry... I swear it looks like he's just slapping his hand down into the water, rather than really entering forward... am I seeing it wrong? 

2007-03-30 4:17 PM
in reply to: #743568

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
madkat - 2007-03-30 4:06 PM

Nice video, but now I'm confused about my entry... I swear it looks like he's just slapping his hand down into the water, rather than really entering forward... am I seeing it wrong? 

I kind of thought the same thing, but then I realized he's going so dang fast that must be what it looks like when a real swimmer does it.  Maybe the way I/we do it now will evolve closer to that as we pick up speed.  I now when I sprint it looks more like that but I can only keep it up for a lap or two.

2007-03-30 4:21 PM
in reply to: #743568

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I can't see the video now but, similar to the recovery, the entry may help set up other aspects of the stroke but isn't critical to speed through the water.  It's all the things you do under the water that really matter.
2007-03-30 6:30 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I think the majority of key points to keep in mind for the front crawl have been mentioned, however there is one question that helps me think about body rotation and my stroke mechanics:

Are my armpits coming out of the water?

If you are rotating properly, it goes a long way to ensuring a proper catch and pull. If you aren't rotating your body, you will be pulling mainly with your arms but if you rotate you will engage your lats, resulting in a better catch and more powerful pull.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2007-03-30 6:38 PM
2007-03-30 6:38 PM
in reply to: #743009

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
cadreamer - 2007-03-30 7:10 AM

Your hand should enter the water in about a straight line forward from your shoulder and from that point should not deviate at all from that path.  It goes DOWN into the water but not out to the sides at all.

Hand enters, glide, pull starts by you pressing the hand down while keeping the elbow high.  (Think of pulling over a barrel.)  IF your elbow drops you lose power.  At chest level your hand elbow and shoulder should be pretty much forming a 90 degree angle.  Then push straight back to the hip.

You're trying to push the same piece of water.  Another way I've heard it described is that your hand is "anchored" on the water and you move your body past your hand.

Sorry, see some confusion here in what I said.

I did not mean DOWN as towards the bottom of the pool, but down as in bring your hand down to the 90 degree angle. THEN you push back towards your hip.(best way I think of it - reaching over the top of a barrel and pulling it towards me, under me, and behind me while using only my palm.)

The stroke movement is basically the same if you stand straight with your arms straight over your head.  Now, bring your hands down so that from your left elbow across your shoulders to your right elbow forms a STRAIGHT line, while your elbow has a 90 degree bend in it so that your hands are pointing directly away from you, at shoulder height.  (I did practice doing this at home quite a bit when I was trying to unlearn the stupid wave my hand in an S-shape habit.  Easier to figure out what was going on w/out the water in the way.)

IN THE WATER, if you are pulling with your right hand you will be rotating ONTO your left side.  This hand/arm movement in conjuction with the rotation is what forms the S-shape. 

Keeping your elbow high means that while your elbow will have a bend in it, because it is more efficient, your elbow should always remain closer to the surface than your hand is.  Your hand/forearm is what creates the propulsive power of the stroke.  You always want to be pushing the water with both your hand/forearm, not letting the water just slide by.

As far as stroke entry - if you are watching someone swim fast, the stroke entry is GOING to splash, because once you start picking up speed you can't slow down enough to enter smoothly while keeping up the pace.  However, the hand should pretty much enter at the fingertips and then you should see at least a bit of extension/glide of the forward hand near the top of the water.  This glide is what cuts the water resistance for the stroke you are finishing up with the other hand.  Instead of your HEAD (a large surface - much water resistance) leading, your hand (smaller - less water resistance) should be leading when you are finishing up the stroke on the other side.

Actually, you can SEE this on the video.  Watch him enter the water with one hand, and you'll see his hand is still UNDER the water and stretching forward as the other hand is finishing up, and this is where he gets the power out of his stroke.  The END of the stroke (and the glide) is the most important phase for generating power while cutting as much resistance as possible.

Edited by cadreamer 2007-03-30 6:43 PM
2007-03-30 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Wow. I need to try this right now.
I always thought "high elbows' referred to keeping the elbow high out of the water. Not so much.
Great posts. I feel like a dope (assuming this works as well in the pool as it seems to when i do it in the air).
2007-03-31 5:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I went to the pool and tried this today. While I understand it theoretically shoukd work, I felt like I was almost doggy paddeling by keeping my elbow high in the water. It felt really strange.
By contrast, my old stroke seems like windmilling by doing almost half circles with my arms under the water in a bent position.
While it felt weird, it also felt more efficient; I was not out of breath like normal. My lats fatigued in a different spot on my back, and my biceps became tired, which never happened with "windmillling". Perhaps it is just something new, but it felt strange.
Any thoughts, other than the obvious keep at it?

2007-03-31 5:52 PM
in reply to: #744058

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You might be keeping your elbow a little TOO high.  The main point is that your hand/forearm should be below your elbow, and that's where you should be pushing the water from.  The last part of the stroke is basically like a triceps press down, and if you're doing it right, you should feel it through the back of your arm.

Watch that video again focusing on where his elbow is through the stroke.

I'd say that you've improved something though - if you felt more efficient and less tired.  Were you faster?  Best idea, see if you can get someone who you think is good to check your form on a couple of laps.  Probably easiest way to get real feedback.  Through here is difficult since it's hard to see what you're actually doing.

2007-03-31 8:05 PM
in reply to: #744058

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
fgray - 2007-03-31 4:35 PM

I went to the pool and tried this today. While I understand it theoretically shoukd work, I felt like I was almost doggy paddeling by keeping my elbow high in the water. It felt really strange.
By contrast, my old stroke seems like windmilling by doing almost half circles with my arms under the water in a bent position.
While it felt weird, it also felt more efficient; I was not out of breath like normal. My lats fatigued in a different spot on my back, and my biceps became tired, which never happened with "windmillling". Perhaps it is just something new, but it felt strange.
Any thoughts, other than the obvious keep at it?

It does feel strange, and I had the same initial reactions...felt "more efficient", more lat fatigue, and I actually got some pec fatigue also, I htink that came from engaging them as stabilizers with the upper arm further out to the side.

Any new activity will feel strange adn cause sore muscles that you are not used to using. I don't know if you can have your elbows "too high", but I'd keep at it for abit before deciding. You can always revert back.

Keep in mind that if you try to go for your old speeds and/or distances, you may be slower or not be able to keep up the endurance since you are learning new muscle movements. Don't be discouraged.

And the advice given above is great about having someone knowledgable ( a masters coach or one of the good masters swimmers at your pool) look at your form.
2007-04-01 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
I just wanted to say thanks to those who posted advice above ..  I never noticed before what my elbow was doing until today and it helped significantly!! The basketball idea was great!
2007-04-02 8:30 AM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
I've been following this thread and from reading it I must be doing something wrong. When I start my pull I'm trying to pull my hand straight back and then start my s curve with my hand underneath my chest and then moving it outward as I pull towards my hips. I'm guessing that I'm over exaggerating my curve? Could I be burning extra energy this way as I fatigue quickly?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming - path of the stroke question Rss Feed  

of 2