Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-12-26 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1873049

User image

Expert
B'ham
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED

I recently picked up a 305 as well.  I love it, but am still  learning all of the gadgetry.  I've been using MotionBased, but I'll have to look into Sport Tracks

eta: I'm pretty sure my parents picked up the cadence sensor for me for Christmas - if they ever dig out from all the snow in Eastern Washington, maybe I'll see them.

Edited by cadmus 2008-12-26 10:07 PM

2008-12-27 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I get my 305 on Monday.... Can't wait.  SEATTLE IS BACK BABY!! 44 degree's rainy, and winding.... I think I actually see more people smiling today than when it was snowing!?! I don't get it!!!
2008-12-27 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

What is with this crazy weather this year?  Yesterday was mid-60's, today the high was around 70 (at about noon), now a cold front is moving through and the temp is supposed to drop to about 30 by tonight.  Oh, and we're having thunderstorms and tornado warnings, in December!  At least this coming week is supposed to be more normal with highs in the 40's. 

I hope everyone had a good holiday.  I got a triathlon book and a pair of UA running tights.  I see that a couple of people got Garmins for Christmas.  I got a 305 last year and love it.  I'm thinking about asking for the cadence sensor for my birthday in Feb.  That's about the time that I'm hoping to be able to start riding outside so the timing would be perfect. 

2008-12-27 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Happy holidays to everyone. I've finally kicked this cold...yes, positively! So, hope everyone had tons of fun for the holidays. I got some great cold weather running gear...although now that I read everyone else's weather reports, I feel wimpy for wearing long tights when its 40 degrees or less!

So-for the experienced runners in the group, I have a question about my long run this week. So, last Saturday, I did an 8.5 mile long run and then didn't run again til Friday (4.8 miles). Do you think I should keep on my scheduled 9-10 miler this weekend? My half marathon is on Feb 2. Or should I go for a 6 miler then ramp up again starting the following week? Hmm. I had been doing so well with my training until I got this cold 2 weeks ago...

Thanks guys. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Only 38 degrees this morning, but that is SO cold for us here in california.

2008-12-27 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1873635

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

kt65 - 2008-12-27 2:56 PM Happy holidays to everyone. I've finally kicked this cold...yes, positively! So, hope everyone had tons of fun for the holidays. I got some great cold weather running gear...although now that I read everyone else's weather reports, I feel wimpy for wearing long tights when its 40 degrees or less! So-for the experienced runners in the group, I have a question about my long run this week. So, last Saturday, I did an 8.5 mile long run and then didn't run again til Friday (4.8 miles). Do you think I should keep on my scheduled 9-10 miler this weekend? My half marathon is on Feb 2. Or should I go for a 6 miler then ramp up again starting the following week? Hmm. I had been doing so well with my training until I got this cold 2 weeks ago... Thanks guys. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Only 38 degrees this morning, but that is SO cold for us here in california.

Hi Kim

Glad you kicked the cold.  Not sure what your long run build up looks like leading up to the half, but assuming you feel healthy, I think doing the 9-10m lng run is a good idea.   That will give you the chance to have a stepback week, do another 10-12m run and still have a taper.

You won't believe that it was nearly 50F in Madison today.  40 inches of snow nearly all melted.  We are experiencing some weird weather around the country these days!  Next thing you know, our lake up north will thaw and I will be in my wetsuit (yeah, right! A girl can dream).

Suzy

2008-12-27 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Steve or anybody that has completed a HIM

Going into the new year, I have my primary race set for Sept 27.  I have never done a tri and have a couple scheduled between now and Sept.  Where do I need to be fitness wise before I start "training" around May or June...according to which plan I choose.

I have just been winging it so far...mixing it up with the bike and really LEARNING to run and swim.  I read so much about going slow, then the next person talks about pushing it with intervals etc.  It is really confusing and I am wondering what you feel works and maybe which path I should take...especially running.

Anybody got any favorite HIM plans you have used and your experiences with them?

Edited by Plainsman AU 2008-12-27 3:59 PM

2008-12-27 5:45 PM

User image

Pro

As for the 1/2 Ironman... The best thing I suggest you do right now is spend time doing some BASE BUILDING!  Really work on form, HR, sport specific exercise.  Then come May, June you should be able to hit the ground running!!!

Good books.... "Going Long" and Ironman Triathlon Nutrition, and Edurance"

2008-12-27 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

what's better when you're sick/have a cold.  Rest until you're through the sickness or workout and do your best??

2008-12-27 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1874043

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

I hope everyone had a happy holiday!  Mine was great!  New Zipp 404s from my husband!  And I didn't even ask for them!!  He's the best.  It was 70 here today also.  Very weird running in shorts 2 days after Christmas!

trying1 - 2008-12-27 9:55 PM

what's better when you're sick/have a cold.  Rest until you're through the sickness or workout and do your best??

If I just have a cold, I workout through it unless I am very congested.  I have asthma and sometimes if I get a very bad cold, I have problems breathing.  So sometimes I have to stop.

Karen

2008-12-28 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
HI gang. Had a great christmas overall. Started out by having to vbail out into a snow bank in my car and had to dig myself out. Took about a half hour and between sweating and the snow I was wet all through. No damage done, thank goodness, to anyone or anything as the snow was soft. I had hit an icy patch of road while coming up to a red light and an suv was stopped there. Didnt want to hit them on christmas day so I bailed. Rest of the day was great. great company, good food and good alcohol. Got home that night and got a call about 10:00 that was my daughter was having contractions and going to the hospital for her baby. Didn't happen. My wife and I have been at her house since early boxing day caring for my grandson. I think she is finally going to be induced today. Keep your fingers and toes crossed.
The weather here has been unseasonably warm. It has been about 10 C and raining. A lot of the snow has gone. Hoping to make it home today to do some boxing week shopping for goodies.
Have a great day all.
2008-12-28 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham
trying1 - 2008-12-27 6:55 PM

The advice given by my doc was that it's ok to work out if the cold is above your neck, but if it's in your chest/lungs you're better off waiting until you feel better.

2008-12-28 2:04 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
trying1 - 2008-12-27 8:55 PM

I have heard the same "above the neck" rule, but I usually don't follow it .  I tend to work out through a cold and even a cold/cough.  Be warned, it may extend it since your immune system is compromised and your taxing it by working out.   Having said all that, if you feel really lousy and are not working at even a recovery level, it probably isn't worth doing. Better to sit on the couch, watch some football and hope you feel better in the morning.

2008-12-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1874542

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the advice..  

I hope everyone has a great new years..

2008-12-28 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

Hey hey, so I inadvertently took all of last week off from training.  I traveled so much and ate just enough to feel totally not motivated.  Today I'm on shift (24 hours) and I got on the treadmill, just fast enough to call it a run.  I remember tapering off to 'next to nothing' last December too.  But alas the new year is here this week... so I started my good eating routine and plan to log my food intake semi-regularly.

As I entered my miles today I found that it may be feasible to get in enough miles to pass the 400 mile mark this year.  Not too bad after logging 200 miles last year. Hmm...

Now I hope to have a decent night, I just found a good movie to watch: Ski Patrol - yes from 1990.  I loved this flic.  'Taste death, live life; Umm Maybe we shouldn't; Shut up you geek, Let's go for it!"

Edited by JHagerman 2008-12-28 8:49 PM
2008-12-29 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Hey Jeremy. I also took the last week off. I didn't have any intention of doing so but sometimes &#%* happens.
I'll be back on the tredmill today and taking up better eating habits also. Although my wife wants turkey tonight. We missed out on a bunch of it this past week.
2008-12-29 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1875439

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

ugh, back to work today...

Had a nice 30 mile ride on Saturday, temps in the 60's, gotta take advantage of it.

Spent every day since x-mas combing sites for bike parts.   Next big part would be the bars, looking for integrated.  soo many choices.

2008-12-29 8:37 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year everyone.  It sounds like there was lots happening out there.  New 305's and ZIPPS, very impressive.  Congratulations on the team sponsorship Jeremy, that is awesome. Which team and how did you know to apply for it? That sounds interesting. 

I have been having weird weather in NC as well. It was 75 degrees yesterday when it was 45 the day before.  Went for a bike ride on christmas eve day, that was fun but emphasized it has been a while since I was on the bike.  I did better than I thought, considering. Still need to attack hills better but I was just out for a joy ride. 

Rob, I hope everything goes well for your daughter. My oldest was born December 30th so maybe they'll have the same birthday. My doctor took pitty on me and induced BEFORE the end of the year so I could get the tax break.  Besides my kids were so large I wasn't going to make it.  I don't have babies, I have thanksgiving turkeys!!   My kids were 9lbs 10oz and 9lbs 5oz.  I kept reminding myself of this fact during my Olypic last year. "If I can deliver those sized babies (naturally I might add) than I can certainly drag my sorry butt over one more hill!!" 

I'm sure that was way TMI but, welcome to blogging with Tracy!!! 

2008-12-29 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

My training has been so spotty over the last two weeks; I am in such a "funk."  My work is exceptionally hectic at the very end of the year and I have lost focus on training.  I did get some new gear for Christmas and need to get back into my grove.  It is so funny how healthy eating goes hand in hand with consistent training.  I feel like I have lost both over the holidays.  Well it is a new week and time to get off my butt and get back to my training. 

I do need some suggestions on a wheel set.  As many of you know, I just bought a used Felt F1 which came with a set of Zipp 303s.  I need to buy a set of clincher training wheels and am looking for suggestions.  I will be using them on my new trainer (Christmas gift) in the winter months and on training rides when the weather warms up.  I am rather new to cycling and any suggestions would be appreciated. 

2008-12-29 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Small Town

Ok, I feel much better knowing that I wasn't the only holiday slacker... seriously!

So I ate well yesterday and so far today too.   I planned this am breakfast for my run today.  After shift I went to MSU (Michigan State University) Campus and started my planned run of 4.5 miles.  But after about 2 miles I felt abnormally good.  I kept going... and ended up with just over a 6.5 mile run in an hour (plus 50 seconds).  I felt like Forest Gump going where ever the wind took me, I just felt like runn-neng. 

I am so close to that 400 mile mark I can taste it.  I'm back on shift tomorrow so I hope to get in at least 3-5 miles on the treadmill and then another outside run on Wednesday.  I think I can do it!

2008-12-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1875541

User image

Expert
Missouri
tahrens - 2008-12-29 8:37 AM

Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year everyone.  It sounds like there was lots happening out there.  New 305's and ZIPPS, very impressive.  Congratulations on the team sponsorship Jeremy, that is awesome. Which team and how did you know to apply for it? That sounds interesting. 

I have been having weird weather in NC as well. It was 75 degrees yesterday when it was 45 the day before.  Went for a bike ride on christmas eve day, that was fun but emphasized it has been a while since I was on the bike.  I did better than I thought, considering. Still need to attack hills better but I was just out for a joy ride. 

Rob, I hope everything goes well for your daughter. My oldest was born December 30th so maybe they'll have the same birthday. My doctor took pitty on me and induced BEFORE the end of the year so I could get the tax break.  Besides my kids were so large I wasn't going to make it.  I don't have babies, I have thanksgiving turkeys!!   My kids were 9lbs 10oz and 9lbs 5oz.  I kept reminding myself of this fact during my Olypic last year. "If I can deliver those sized babies (naturally I might add) than I can certainly drag my sorry butt over one more hill!!" 

I'm sure that was way TMI but, welcome to blogging with Tracy!!! 

Hey Tracy - I feel your pain (or felt it I guess I should saySmile).  Both my kids were big too.  My son was 10lbs 1/2oz (although to be fair, he was 2 weeks late) and my daughter was 8lbs 13oz (she was right on time).  Maybe that's why pain doesn't bother me as much as some people - I know it could be a lot worse! 

Glad you had a good ride on Christmas eve.  I'm really looking forward to being able to start riding outside.  I guess I should take my bike in for a tune-up first.  I'm embarrassed to say how long it's been since I've ridden it and I know the gears need to be looked at. 

Speaking of bikes, here's a question for you guys.  I have a cheap mountain bike and will probably be using it for my first couple of tris (after that I'll look into getting a real bike).  Should I switch out the tires to smooth ones or not worry about it if I'm going to see about getting a new bike anyway (it may be another year or so before I can save up enough for a decent bike)?  And what about the pedals?  Is that something I should consider changing?  If I do those things, I'd like to do it now while I have time and then can get used to them when I can start riding outside, but not sure if I should spend the money for something that might end up being temporary.  I guess the question is, would it make enough of a difference in my race to be worth the money?  Being my first tris, I want to finish but also finish well.  I'm obviously not expecting to win or anything like that, but I'd like to finish without feeling like I'm going to die.  Does that make sense?

Janet

2008-12-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1875587

User image

Expert
Missouri
JHagerman - 2008-12-29 9:10 AM

Ok, I feel much better knowing that I wasn't the only holiday slacker... seriously!

So I ate well yesterday and so far today too.   I planned this am breakfast for my run today.  After shift I went to MSU (Michigan State University) Campus and started my planned run of 4.5 miles.  But after about 2 miles I felt abnormally good.  I kept going... and ended up with just over a 6.5 mile run in an hour (plus 50 seconds).  I felt like Forest Gump going where ever the wind took me, I just felt like runn-neng. 

I am so close to that 400 mile mark I can taste it.  I'm back on shift tomorrow so I hope to get in at least 3-5 miles on the treadmill and then another outside run on Wednesday.  I think I can do it!

Don't you just love those kind of runs!  Good luck reaching 400 miles!

2008-12-29 10:18 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Okay nice new topic that I'm sure you'll all some have some good replies to help me out.

My IPOD need some freshening up.....Hit me with some of your favorite workout tunes.

2008-12-29 10:25 AM

User image

Pro

Janet,

I would recommend you switching out the tires (AT LEAST).... This will make a huge difference in your effort put forth.  Knobby tires makes it so much harder.  Pedals?  That would also make a difference for you.  If you are using regular pedals you will burn up your legs quicker (making it harder for you on the run). 

Mark,

Easton (Vista) and Shimano (WH-R540) both are great "training" wheel sets.  They also make a wheel that works great with trainer's... http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='1772-23'

2008-12-29 10:42 AM
in reply to: #1875674

User image

Master

Speaking of bikes, here's a question for you guys.  I have a cheap mountain bike and will probably be using it for my first couple of tris (after that I'll look into getting a real bike).  Should I switch out the tires to smooth ones or not worry about it if I'm going to see about getting a new bike anyway (it may be another year or so before I can save up enough for a decent bike)?  And what about the pedals?  Is that something I should consider changing?  If I do those things, I'd like to do it now while I have time and then can get used to them when I can start riding outside, but not sure if I should spend the money for something that might end up being temporary.  I guess the question is, would it make enough of a difference in my race to be worth the money?  Being my first tris, I want to finish but also finish well.  I'm obviously not expecting to win or anything like that, but I'd like to finish without feeling like I'm going to die.  Does that make sense?

Janet

I think you could get your money's worth out of a set of slicks in a year.  I'd go for them

Looks like everyone had a wonderful Chirstmas Holiday.  I seemed to have eaten and slept mine away.  I also took an unexpected week off.  Hopefully I can get in a run tomorrow, it's supposed to be 60* and I can't wait to use my new 405

Edited by crews 2008-12-29 10:43 AM
2008-12-29 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Thanks Steve.  Actually, I looked at the Easton wheel sets when I was in my local bike shop this past weekend.  I think the vista is now the EA50 model.  They seemed like they were in my price range.  I will take a look at the Shimanos you suggested.  I will also order the training tire via the link you provided.

Thanks for the tips.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73