BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2010-12-25 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3261175

User image

Master
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-25 9:14 AM MERRY CHRISTMAS PEEPS!!!!

kids first white Christmas. 

stuff your face suz!!!! 

monkey bread!!!!

Jealous!! We had a white Thanksgiving but just have a rainy Christmas. Hope to get out and run in it. But if not...

I'll ride on my BRAND NEW COMPUTRAINER!!!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!! I "got" one for my birthday in September... really, it was the promise of a used one to get on ebay or Craigslist. I sort-of wasn't looking for one, letting my husband do it. Well, since September he's been watching on ebay but hasn't been able to find a "deal." So he bit the bullet and went new (figuring it has great re-sale value). And I get the CDA course. Fun! We'll have to see if we can figure it all out. (Steve, I may need some help in a day or two!)

Daughter is so disappointed not to get her biggest want, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She's only 8. I'm not ready to have a second dog (I put A LOT of time into training dogs and have high expectations). She's getting a small pet instead. Poor thing.

All right! Time to clean, cook, run, set up my new toy, and enjoy the day!!! WOOT!

(Oh, and I think Trip the dog enjoyed Christmas the most. Toy #1 was eviscerated within about 10 minutes. Toy #2 wasn't even given to him -- he found it under the tree on his own and helped himself! Love that dog!)

Merry Christmas everyone! You guys are awesome!

2010-12-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Veteran
Santa got me Polar RS300X SD with S1 Footpod for Christmas!!! Its not as cool as a Red Rider BB Gun but I'll take it! Cool
2010-12-25 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3261172

User image

Veteran
Memarshall80 - 2010-12-25 11:01 AM NAME: Marshall

STORY: I'm 27 and live in Jersey City, NJ. This is my first season of tri's and my first seaon of any endurance sport. For the last 26 years of my life I have professed that running is pointless... How ironic that I now find myself swimming, biking and running for miles on end. After playing baseball, basketball and football in high school followed by 4 years of D-1 football (Tight End), I am now embarking on a new adventure - becoming a triathlete. 

I work in international logistics and travel alot; 16 hrs on a plane will not be condusive to training. I hope that the group can help me with training all over this great land. This is obviously my first MG. 

FAMILY STATUS: Soon to be married and I have one "daughter", Georgia (miniture golden doodle).

TRAINING:  I will be using one of the training programs from this site. I bought a trainer and have a membership at the YMCA (indoor track and oly pool). Any input on what program to use would be great.

2010 RACES:Zero  

2011 RACES:  TBD... I am not sure if I am going to do sprints to start or full tris.... first month will determine the registration.

WHAT TO I BRING TO THE GROUP:  I am extremly driven to find a new way to keep in shape. I am self motivated, competitive and perform best when I have some constructive criticism.

INSEAM: 34 inches

-----
Marshall 

Welcome!! I use to live in jersey city on armstrong off kennedy.
2010-12-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3261253

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kkcbelle - 2010-12-25 12:55 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-25 9:14 AM MERRY CHRISTMAS PEEPS!!!!

kids first white Christmas. 

stuff your face suz!!!! 

monkey bread!!!!

Jealous!! We had a white Thanksgiving but just have a rainy Christmas. Hope to get out and run in it. But if not...

I'll ride on my BRAND NEW COMPUTRAINER!!!!!

Yes!!!!!!!!!! I "got" one for my birthday in September... really, it was the promise of a used one to get on ebay or Craigslist. I sort-of wasn't looking for one, letting my husband do it. Well, since September he's been watching on ebay but hasn't been able to find a "deal." So he bit the bullet and went new (figuring it has great re-sale value). And I get the CDA course. Fun! We'll have to see if we can figure it all out. (Steve, I may need some help in a day or two!)

Daughter is so disappointed not to get her biggest want, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She's only 8. I'm not ready to have a second dog (I put A LOT of time into training dogs and have high expectations). She's getting a small pet instead. Poor thing.

All right! Time to clean, cook, run, set up my new toy, and enjoy the day!!! WOOT!

(Oh, and I think Trip the dog enjoyed Christmas the most. Toy #1 was eviscerated within about 10 minutes. Toy #2 wasn't even given to him -- he found it under the tree on his own and helped himself! Love that dog!)

Merry Christmas everyone! You guys are awesome!

You mean you did'nt have Trip on an overnight "STAY!".  you're a dog training maniac.

Congrats on the new gift.  you'll love it....it was my best investment (other than Steve of course).
2010-12-25 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NAME: Stan

STORY:  36 yrs old, 2nd yr in tri's and 2nd yr with the group.  Started tri's when I got re-organized out of my job.  Probably one of the best things that happened to me..  rediscovered a healthier lifestyle, lost 36 lbs, got to spend quality time with the family.  Currently managing a private equity fund and trying to make sure I don't fall back into the unhealthy lifestyle that comes with the job. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wife that lets me indulge in tons of cool tri-gear.  Super energetic 3yr old son who just got his first balance bike and loves to run long distances.

TRAINING: Live in New York City and lucky enough to live right next to Central Park.  During the season run and bike in the park and during the off season at the gym and occasionally in the park.  I hate running and biking in the cold! 

2010 RACES: Pancake Tri, Nations Tri, Colon Cancer Challenge, Poland Springs Pre Marathon Kickoff

2011 RACES:  Currently only registered for the NYC triathlon, maybe the Nations Tri, 2 early season sprints and end of yr HIM.  Need to try to get in the NYC marathon, it's a great race.  Goal for this season is to concentrate on just racing and not over think everything and try for a sub 2:30 race time for either the NYC or Nations tri.

WHAT TO I BRING TO THE GROUP:  truthfully nothing...  so many people in this group have far more experience and better techinque.  Maybe some occassional swim drill advice (though there are much better swimmers in this group) or info on races that I race and like everyone else does in this group, support during those tough times..  I'll volunteer to be the slacker, any visitors to NYC need a drink? 

INSEAM: 33 inches

2010-12-25 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marshall and Andre, glad to see other tri-state people in the group.  I'm definitely doing the NYC tri and other local tri's are up in the air.  Maybe the Pancake tri on Staten Island and one of the Harriman tris? 

I got a cool new toy from the wife, anyone heard of a zootr?  Adult push scooter, i've been riding it around the apt all day. 

2010-12-25 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
2010-12-25 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3261357

User image

Champion
trying1 - 2010-12-25 4:12 PM NAME: Stan

STORY:  36 yrs old, 2nd yr in tri's and 2nd yr with the group.  Started tri's when I got re-organized out of my job.  Probably one of the best things that happened to me..  rediscovered a healthier lifestyle, lost 36 lbs, got to spend quality time with the family.  Currently managing a private equity fund and trying to make sure I don't fall back into the unhealthy lifestyle that comes with the job. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a wife that lets me indulge in tons of cool tri-gear.  Super energetic 3yr old son who just got his first balance bike and loves to run long distances.

TRAINING: Live in New York City and lucky enough to live right next to Central Park.  During the season run and bike in the park and during the off season at the gym and occasionally in the park.  I hate running and biking in the cold! 

2010 RACES: Pancake Tri, Nations Tri, Colon Cancer Challenge, Poland Springs Pre Marathon Kickoff

2011 RACES:  Currently only registered for the NYC triathlon, maybe the Nations Tri, 2 early season sprints and end of yr HIM.  Need to try to get in the NYC marathon, it's a great race.  Goal for this season is to concentrate on just racing and not over think everything and try for a sub 2:30 race time for either the NYC or Nations tri.

WHAT TO I BRING TO THE GROUP:  truthfully nothing...  so many people in this group have far more experience and better techinque.  Maybe some occassional swim drill advice (though there are much better swimmers in this group) or info on races that I race and like everyone else does in this group, support during those tough times..  I'll volunteer to be the slacker, any visitors to NYC need a drink? 

INSEAM: 33 inches

Stan...don't sell yourself short.  You give us great insight into living in NYC, going through second condo remodels and you bring up the inseam average a bit .  Glad you're sticking around.
2010-12-25 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3260821

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
Redknight - 2010-12-24 4:28 PM

SSMinnow - 2010-12-24 5:21 PM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-24 11:33 AM
SSMinnow - 2010-12-24 11:36 AM
Brent--thanks for the recommendation on the book. It looks interesting. I've read a couple very good sports specific mental training books, but was hoping maybe there was some Military "how to deal better with pain" mental training you could share. 

I also have a military background. (air force some time ago) and the only mental toughness I heard in boot camp was HTFU or wash out.

LMAO!  Yep, thats all the mental training the military has ever given me as well.  
2010-12-25 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3261364

User image

Veteran
trying1 - 2010-12-25 4:27 PM Marshall and Andre, glad to see other tri-state people in the group.  I'm definitely doing the NYC tri and other local tri's are up in the air.  Maybe the Pancake tri on Staten Island and one of the Harriman tris? 

I got a cool new toy from the wife, anyone heard of a zootr?  Adult push scooter, i've been riding it around the apt all day. 

Same here, I am still working on my schedule with NYC Tri as the only one I am registered for but thats up in the air because I may be away at training for the National Guard, If so I need to find another A race and was looking at the Nations Tri as well. I was just compiling a list of races in the area and working on my 4-5 race schedule. I do most my training in prospect park since I am a member of the Brooklyn Tri Club. Hopefully I will see you in a race, keep me posted with your schedule
2010-12-25 9:48 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Name:  DJ

Story:  I participated in a Triathlon information session and I knew a little bit about it because my stepsister did a few.  I was encouraged to try. Dec 2010 I started running for the first time. I already had 4 months of cycling experience. Started training for my first triathlon in May, then did 3 more after that. LOVE IT!

Family status: I live with my fiance in a 1964 Las Vegas home (those who know who sang, "Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me" - I own his deceased mother's house...so my house is *sorta* famous).   I also have 6 (yep you read that right. SIX), furbabies. 5 cats and a dog. Those that were adopted in Vegas, has a Vegasnite name...see if you can figure out which ones.  Mocha, Reno, Stardust, Hobbes, Penny, Telly.

What makes me so different from everyone in this MG?: I'm deaf and I had two cochlear implant surgeries almost three years ago since my residual hearing was getting worse and worse. I was born deaf as well.   I am fluent in spoken English and Sign Language. I only wear one CI (Cochlear Implant) during Triathlons, and I'm completely deaf during the swim. :-) Because of the implants in my head and having the ability to attach magnetic things to my head, I'm Cyborg Queen. :-)

My 2010 Christmas Goodies: Deep set Aerodynamic race wheels, new Helmet (finally!! My old ones makes my head TOO hot, especially for Vegas), and new training sneakers.

2009: 30 pounds heavier, did basically nothing.
2010: 4 Triathlons (3 Sprints, 1 Oly), Two Running races (first Half Mary as well), and two charity rides, and Volunteered for Silverman Triathlon.

Goals for 2011 season: Do 4 triathlons, HIM is not out of the question, Half Marathon is up in the air. A century Ride is also possible, if so, it'll be MS 200. Have not set anything in stone yet.

Weird fact: I can bend my thumb to my wrist. 

2010-12-25 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Hi gang - wow what a day!  I'm so tired but wired at the same time so I can't get to sleep.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.  We may be waking up to a white morning the day after and I need to get by butt out the door for a 2 hr run.  Hmmm - hope the snow holds off for a bit.

2010-12-25 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3260933

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

dcon - 2010-12-24 8:34 PM

Wow – you guys move fast.  Looks like a great group and I’m looking forward to tapping your expertise.   Here's my bio:

NAME: Dan

STORY: I'm 52 and live in Sendai, Japan. I was part of a staff reduction at the end of 2007 and have given myself a few years off to a) catch up on life, i.e., things I like to do besides work b) see how far I can get with triathlons - ideally I want to do an IM, but I'm not in a hurry and thinking the earliest that will happen is 2013. 

In 2008 I struggled with learning to swim and bike again. I hadn't really done either for 30-35 years and only knew how to swim with my face out of the water. I also struggled with getting my running going again. I've had knees problems since doing a marathon back in 2001. In 2009,  I did my first Oly and finished in 3 hours (literally 3:00:11). In  2010 I did 3 Olys including a 2:50 on the same course I did my first Oly.   I wanted to do an HIM, but never got my training up to the right levels - if I pushed too hard on the bike or run, I would end up with hip or knee problems for 3-4 days.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two sons from my wife's previous marriage. We have 3 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I’m trying to slowly build a run/bike baseline that allows me to do an HIM in 2011.   I’m running 4-5 days a week and cycling 4-5 days a week. If I run 5 days, I bike 4 and vice versus. I get to the pool 3-4 days/week and having been spending most of my time on drills.  I take a 30 minute lesson once every 2 weeks.

2011 RACES: same 3 Olys as last year plus a near HIM (bike leg is only 70km)

Fukushima 10 Mile (end/April)
Sakata Oly (end/June)
Kisakata Oly (end of July)
Utsukushima Oly (end/Aug)
Shizuoka HIM (end/Sept)

INSEAM: 28 inches

Awesome!  2:50 Oly is great!

2010-12-25 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3261398

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2010-12-25 5:22 PM

Evilness...  But I didn't know that Peeps got weebles...

2010-12-25 10:10 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and to our northern friends - Have a Happy Boxing Day!

2010-12-25 11:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

WOOT WOOT! I got my trainer...that means I'm going for the HIM Muskoka in Sept 2011.  Look out Craig Alexander, I'm not letting you win four in a row!! All right, kidding about beating him.   Was so busy putting kids toys together I didn't even get anytime to put my new toy together.  Always, tomorrow.  Now, I need to re-think my training plan.   I'll have many questions for you folks soon, first need some sleep.

Sylvain

2010-12-25 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3260088

User image

Veteran
New York
sdalessio - 2010-12-24 12:08 PM
tpnguyen10 - 2010-12-23 3:50 AM I have 2 days of travelling and 22hrs of flying ahead of me (god help me with my daughter!), so I picked up Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.

Thoughts? Opinions? (on the book that is!) unless you want to weigh in on how Emma will take to a 19hr direct flight?

Great book!  And I hope Emma likes sleeping.  :-)  Good luck!!!!!

Made it to Madison safely... and on schedule, remarkably.  didn't even crack open the book... Emma decided she wanted to walk up and down the aisle for 10hrs.  All was too easy with Emma until our last leg.  5 mins before landing Emma got plane sick and threw up all over mom and herself.  She's better now, but I have the pleasure of dealing with baby jet lag. 
2010-12-26 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3261584

User image

New user
Ottawa
tpnguyen10 - 2010-12-26 12:20 AM
sdalessio - 2010-12-24 12:08 PM
tpnguyen10 - 2010-12-23 3:50 AM I have 2 days of travelling and 22hrs of flying ahead of me (god help me with my daughter!), so I picked up Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.

Thoughts? Opinions? (on the book that is!) unless you want to weigh in on how Emma will take to a 19hr direct flight?

Great book!  And I hope Emma likes sleeping.  :-)  Good luck!!!!!

Made it to Madison safely... and on schedule, remarkably.  didn't even crack open the book... Emma decided she wanted to walk up and down the aisle for 10hrs.  All was too easy with Emma until our last leg.  5 mins before landing Emma got plane sick and threw up all over mom and herself.  She's better now, but I have the pleasure of dealing with baby jet lag. 

Oh that sucks!!  When you originally posted, I was going to suggest a good dose of Gravol might get you through... as a joke.  Looks like it would have really come in handy after all!

At least it was at the end of the trip...

Hope you finally get a chance to get into your book.

Anne

2010-12-26 5:49 AM
in reply to: #3261575

User image

New user
Ottawa
sstucker - 2010-12-26 12:00 AM

WOOT WOOT! I got my trainer...that means I'm going for the HIM Muskoka in Sept 2011.  Look out Craig Alexander, I'm not letting you win four in a row!! All right, kidding about beating him.   Was so busy putting kids toys together I didn't even get anytime to put my new toy together.  Always, tomorrow.  Now, I need to re-think my training plan.   I'll have many questions for you folks soon, first need some sleep.

Sylvain

Congratulations.  I just got a trainer a few months ago and it's great... I'm not sure how it translates to road or race performance... but it's way better than hitting the spin studio four times a week!!

Which other Ontario races are you looking at?  I've only been looking at the the Somersault directory based out of Ottawa.  I've done the K-town tri which is great... but I'm interested in swimming in some cleaner water  The Muskoka race sounds nice.

Anne 
2010-12-26 6:17 AM

User image

Champion
Sounds like everyone had a great Christmas and got a few good things to help them progress in the sport.  So far, my gift has been missing the flu that knocked the man down on Christmas Eve.

Good luck to our NE friends....looks like you're in for a doozy of a storm. My BIL and his family are supposed to fly out of NYC tomorrow....maybe not?!?!?!

PS. For those doing their race schedules for '11, consider the REV3 Oly/HIM in Knoxville on 5/15....many of us are meeting up there for another MG experience.

Edited by SSMinnow 2010-12-26 6:19 AM
2010-12-26 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3261439

User image

Veteran
New York
GrapeJuice - 2010-12-26 8:45 AM
trying1 - 2010-12-25 4:27 PM Marshall and Andre, glad to see other tri-state people in the group.  I'm definitely doing the NYC tri and other local tri's are up in the air.  Maybe the Pancake tri on Staten Island and one of the Harriman tris? 

Same here, I am still working on my schedule with NYC Tri as the only one I am registered for but thats up in the air because I may be away at training for the National Guard, If so I need to find another A race and was looking at the Nations Tri as well. I was just compiling a list of races in the area and working on my 4-5 race schedule. I do most my training in prospect park since I am a member of the Brooklyn Tri Club. Hopefully I will see you in a race, keep me posted with your schedule

I'm also doing the NYC Tri.  

Brooklyn Tri Club. Cool! I race with Green Storm Racing.  Hope to run into you guys when I move back to NYC.

I got a Timex Global Trainer for Xmas! Watch face is huge, but I saw some good reviews for it. 

2010-12-26 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3261575

User image

Jersey

Sylvain

Sylvain, 

What kind of trainer did santa bring? I received a trainer from Performance Bikes "travel trac fluid +".

I have never really heard of the brand before, anyone have any feedback for me?

2010-12-26 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3261645

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Anne! - 2010-12-26 6:49 AM

Sylvain

Congratulations.  I just got a trainer a few months ago and it's great... I'm not sure how it translates to road or race performance... but it's way better than hitting the spin studio four times a week!!

Which other Ontario races are you looking at?  I've only been looking at the the Somersault directory based out of Ottawa.  I've done the K-town tri which is great... but I'm interested in swimming in some cleaner water  The Muskoka race sounds nice.

Anne 

I mainly follow the Suburu or HSBC seriers.  Last year I only performed three races Binbrook (clean water), Toronto Island (water was OK but very rough) and Orillia (clean water).   This year I have a few in mind, in June Guelph Sprint & Muskoka Oly, Cobourg Oly & Toronto Sprint in Aug, and Muskoka HIM in Sept.  I'm thinking of doing Ottawa Half Marathon in May. 

Suburu series: http://www.trisportcanada.com/home.php
HSBC Series: http://www.msctriathlon.com/ms/index.cfm

Here's a list I created sorted by dates:

SeriesCityDateEvent NameRaceSprintOlympicHIM
 Ottawa29-May-11HMA21.1km Run  
SuburuMilton5-Jun-11Sprint 750m Swim | 30km Bike | 7.5km Run  
HSBCWoodstock11-Jun-11Sprint/Long Sprint 600m Swim | 20km Bike | 4km Run1000m Swim | 32km Bike | 8km Run 
SuburuGuelph18-Jun-11Sprint/OlyA750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run1.5km Swim | 42km Bike | 10km Run 
HSBCBinbrook25-Jun-11Sprint 750m Swim | 27km Bike | 6.5km Run  
SuburuMuskoka26-Jun-11Sprint/OlyA750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run2km-55km-15km 
HSBCWlland2-Jul-11Sprint/HIM 750m Swim | 30km Bike | 7.5km Run 2K-90K-21K
HSBCBracebridge6-Jul-11Sprint/HIM 750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run 2K-90K-21K
SuburuPeterborough10-Jul-11Sprint/HIM 750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run 2K-90K-21K
HSBCGravenhurst16-Jul-11Sprint/OlyC750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run1500m Swim | 40km Bike | 10km Run
HSBCBala Falls24-Jul-11Sprint 750m Swim | 30km Bike | 7.5km Run  
SuburuBelwood24-Jul-11SprintC1km Swim | 30km Bike | 7km Run  
SuburuNiagara7-Aug-11Sprint 750m Swim | 25km Bike | 7km Run  
HSBCCobourg13-Aug-11Sprint/OlyB750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run1500m Swim | 40km Bike | 10km Run
SuburuOrillia21-Aug-11Sprint 750m Swim | 33km Bike | 7km Run  
HSBCToronto Island28-Aug-11SprintB750m Swim | 30km Bike | 7.5km Run Last year's time: 
SuburuGuelph 23-Sep-11Sprint 750m Swim | 30km Bike | 7km Run  
HSBCWasaga Beach10-Sep-11Sprint/Oly 750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run1500m Swim | 40km Bike | 10km Run
SuburuMuskoka 70.311-Sep-11HIMA  2K-94K-21.1K
HSBCLakeside17-Sep-11Sprint/Oly 750m Swim | 20km Bike | 5km Run1500m Swim | 40km Bike | 10km Run

Sylvain
2010-12-26 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3261670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Memarshall80 - 2010-12-26 8:44 AM

Sylvain

Sylvain, 

What kind of trainer did santa bring? I received a trainer from Performance Bikes "travel trac fluid +".

I have never really heard of the brand before, anyone have any feedback for me?

I got the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. 
2010-12-26 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3261439

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
GrapeJuice - 2010-12-25 7:45 PM

I keep going back and forth on doing the Nations Tri, I can ride my bike to transition and not break a sweat, but it's super expensive and they keep trying to get 10,000 people to do the race...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171