Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-03-17 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
Oh, I'm sure there are at least a couple here who have heard of this but it's an interesting bit of history. In this case, "The People" had to break into the National Guard armory but the use of arms here is one of the primary reasons the people have the right to keep and bear arms.

Yes, this is a story of taking up arms against the government after it went bad, in the US, in 1946.

http://www.americanheritage.com/content/battle-athens?page=show
The Battle Of Athens

2013-03-18 12:35 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Here's the first video from Colion Noir for NRA news.
I  think it's worth watching regardless of your view on this issue. 

(Colion-Noir.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Colion-Noir.jpg (20KB - 4 downloads)
2013-03-18 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

So now the gun misinformation has invaded mindless TV shows.  My wife and I were watching "Elementary" the other night.  Usually a pretty good show but one scene had me pause the TV and go into a tirade for a few mins. (The wife has learned to just smile and nod)

In one scene a car is riddled with bullets from an very obviously sounding fully automatic weapon.

The detective then says sit was a "semi-automatic MP5".  He then goes on to talk about how it fired in 3 round bursts.

Really? Either the writers are complete idiots or they are trying to intentionally further confuse the semi-auto vs auto debate.

2013-03-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4664898

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
TriRSquared - 2013-03-18 3:14 PM

So now the gun misinformation has invaded mindless TV shows.  My wife and I were watching "Elementary" the other night.  Usually a pretty good show but one scene had me pause the TV and go into a tirade for a few mins. (The wife has learned to just smile and nod)

In one scene a car is riddled with bullets from an very obviously sounding fully automatic weapon.

The detective then says sit was a "semi-automatic MP5".  He then goes on to talk about how it fired in 3 round bursts.

Really? Either the writers are complete idiots or they are trying to intentionally further confuse the semi-auto vs auto debate.

C'mon--this isn't a conspiracy, just typical hollywood nonsense. Try watching almost any medical drama with a doctor or any legal drama with an attorney and they'll go off on a tirade, too. Or heck, try watching just about any sports movie. Shows take ridiculous liberties all the time with technical information, whether out of laziness, or because the truth doesn't square with the plot, or because the writer heard some terminology that sounded cooler than what the correct term is.

2013-03-18 3:45 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Not only that, but you are supposed to fire an automatic in bursts. 5-7 for a MG or SAW, 3-5 for everything else. Otherwise you burn through ammo, your aim sucks, and you burn up your barrel.

Did the fire in the scene go in 3 round bursts? Is that what you meant? It was just going data-Tata-Tata-Tata-Tata-Tata...
2013-03-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4664957

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Yeah, same foley artist that uses a pump action racking noise when it's a double barrel shotgun.  It's recognizable, so they use it.

I also chuckle every time I hear the Wilhelm Scream now.  It's the most widely used specific sound effect in movies (so I have heard).

2013-03-18 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4664963

User image

Sensei
Sin City

GomesBolt - 2013-03-18 1:45 PM Not only that, but you are supposed to fire an automatic in bursts. 5-7 for a MG or SAW, 3-5 for everything else. Otherwise you burn through ammo, your aim sucks, and you burn up your barrel.

Did the fire in the scene go in 3 round bursts? Is that what you meant? It was just going data-Tata-Tata-Tata-Tata-Tata...

Yes, or the infinite magazine capacity.  Auto pistols that can fire for minutes at a time with no sign of extended mag.

2013-03-18 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4664963

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

GomesBolt - 2013-03-18 4:45 PM Not only that, but you are supposed to fire an automatic in bursts. 5-7 for a MG or SAW, 3-5 for everything else. Otherwise you burn through ammo, your aim sucks, and you burn up your barrel.

It wasn't even bursts.  It was just full auto fire. Obviously not a semi-auto. Not a 3 round burst.

Conspiracy, no?  Subtlety placed opinion by anti-gun writers?  Maybe... (TV shows routinely hire ex-police and military to at least advise the writer.  This show obviously does not.)

2013-03-18 4:23 PM

User image

Or the shotgun pump after several minutes of a standoff to add to the intensity.

"Uhh you just ejected a round that you might need later."
2013-03-18 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4665013

User image

Master
Denver
TriRSquared - 2013-03-18 3:10 PM

GomesBolt - 2013-03-18 4:45 PM Not only that, but you are supposed to fire an automatic in bursts. 5-7 for a MG or SAW, 3-5 for everything else. Otherwise you burn through ammo, your aim sucks, and you burn up your barrel.

It wasn't even bursts.  It was just full auto fire. Obviously not a semi-auto. Not a 3 round burst.

Conspiracy, no?  Subtlety placed opinion by anti-gun writers?  Maybe... (TV shows routinely hire ex-police and military to at least advise the writer.  This show obviously does not.)

Maybe they were bump firing?  Maybe instead of being really naive, hollywood writers are really, really knowledgeable.  Yes, I'm sure that must be it.  Please don't make me stop believing KITT isn't a real car.
2013-03-18 4:40 PM

User image

Full auto makes people worse shooters unless they're this guy...
http://www.basiloneparade.com/citation-guad.htm

2013-03-18 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4664969

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Kido - 2013-03-18 3:47 PM

GomesBolt - 2013-03-18 1:45 PM Not only that, but you are supposed to fire an automatic in bursts. 5-7 for a MG or SAW, 3-5 for everything else. Otherwise you burn through ammo, your aim sucks, and you burn up your barrel.

Yes, or the infinite magazine capacity.  Auto pistols that can fire for minutes at a time with no sign of extended mag.

I'm glad I'm not the only who counts rounds used in TV and movies.

2013-03-18 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4665013

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
TriRSquared - 2013-03-18 4:10 PM

Still think you're giving them way too much credit. More likely is they already had shot and foley-ed the scene and when and if one of the advisors pointed out the error, they decided it was too expensive to re-shoot or not worth the trouble..

Seriously, you think someone in the writers room actually had the conscious thought, "I know, I'll intentionally misuse the term 'semi-automatic' in my script to further confuse the American gun debate and hopefully lead to the downfall of the Second Amendment! Mwahnha ha ha!!!"

You've obviously never met a TV writer in person.
2013-03-18 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4665206

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-18 7:24 PM

Still think you're giving them way too much credit. More likely is they already had shot and foley-ed the scene and when and if one of the advisors pointed out the error, they decided it was too expensive to re-shoot or not worth the trouble..

Seriously, you think someone in the writers room actually had the conscious thought, "I know, I'll intentionally misuse the term 'semi-automatic' in my script to further confuse the American gun debate and hopefully lead to the downfall of the Second Amendment! Mwahnha ha ha!!!"

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence

2013-03-18 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4665237

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
DanielG - 2013-03-18 6:58 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-18 7:24 PM

My point exactly. Well put.
2013-03-18 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4665237

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

DanielG - 2013-03-18 7:58 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-18 7:24 PM Still think you're giving them way too much credit. More likely is they already had shot and foley-ed the scene and when and if one of the advisors pointed out the error, they decided it was too expensive to re-shoot or not worth the trouble.. Seriously, you think someone in the writers room actually had the conscious thought, "I know, I'll intentionally misuse the term 'semi-automatic' in my script to further confuse the American gun debate and hopefully lead to the downfall of the Second Amendment! Mwahnha ha ha!!!" You've obviously never met a TV writer in person.

Right, because most Hollywood writers are pro-gun GOP members...

Fine, they are incompetent.  So much so that everyone involved in the show didn't catch the glaring error?

- The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations - William of Occam (though I suppose that could be argued in both ways)

---

I'll let that one go.  Can we move to a second, more clear cut, example?  On NBC news tonight they described the UCF (near) shooter as having an "assault weapon".  The sheriff's statement said it was a .22 rifle.

Yep, no one would ever misuse gun terminology to sway opinion.

2013-03-18 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Here's the thing: believe it or not, most people who saw that, even those who spotted the mistake, didn't really get that bent out of shape about it. They certainly didn't go on a 20-minute rant about it. It's a tv show, not a documentary.

Ps, you should stay away from the movie "Commando". Your head might explode.
2013-03-18 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4665376

User image

Pro

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-18 9:24 PM Here's the thing: believe it or not, most people who saw that, even those who spotted the mistake, didn't really get that bent out of shape about it. They certainly didn't go on a 20-minute rant about it. It's a tv show, not a documentary. Ps, you should stay away from the movie "Commando". Your head might explode.

I get the point that triRsquared was making.......but that broke me up.  LOL

2013-03-19 2:50 AM
in reply to: #4665247

User image

TriRSquared - 2013-03-18 8:16 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2013-03-18 7:24 PM Still think you're giving them way too much credit. More likely is they already had shot and foley-ed the scene and when and if one of the advisors pointed out the error, they decided it was too expensive to re-shoot or not worth the trouble.. Seriously, you think someone in the writers room actually had the conscious thought, "I know, I'll intentionally misuse the term 'semi-automatic' in my script to further confuse the American gun debate and hopefully lead to the downfall of the Second Amendment! Mwahnha ha ha!!!" You've obviously never met a TV writer in person.

Fine, they are incompetent.  So much so that everyone involved in the show didn't catch the glaring error?

- The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations - William of Occam (though I suppose that could be argued in both ways)

---

I'll let that one go.  Can we move to a second, more clear cut, example?  On NBC news tonight they described the UCF (near) shooter as having an "assault weapon".  The sheriff's statement said it was a .22 rifle.

I, personally, believe the newsies should (note word) be held accountable for ill researched stories. "Glock revolver" "40mm pistol" "semi automatic machine gun" I've heard them all. My particular favorite, "He was shot with a .357 at such close range the cop killer bullet didn't have time to activate."

BUT you're talking about movies, the same place where screwing a silencer on a revolver and infinite round revolvers have been a standard ever since there have been movies. When at a movie, it must only stay correct within its own laws inside its own universe for me. If that means snapping a gun as you shoot to be able to shoot around the corner, so be it.

2013-03-19 4:39 AM
in reply to: #4665247

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

---

I think that the news media misuses all sorts of terms related to all sorts of issues for one main reason... to get eyeballs on their story. Like with this whole controversy of how CNN covered this Steubenville rape trial, focusing on the "promising futures" of the victims. I don't believe that they are rape apologists or are trying to sway people; I think they're trying to get ratings. Same with misusing gun terminology.

Implying that there is some sort of media conspiracy is the sort of thing that gives the NRA and its ilk the image of the paranoid gun nut. Speaking of, this past Sunday, about a mile from my home, a kid who coming home from a night of drinking stumbled into the wrong house in the middle of the night. His home was two doors down. The homeowner shot and killed the boy. Shoot first, ask questions later, I guess. Dark + alcohol + wrong house + gun = dead kid. Sad all around.

2013-03-19 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4665550

User image

tealeaf - 2013-03-19 5:39 AM

---

I think that the news media misuses all sorts of terms related to all sorts of issues for one main reason... to get eyeballs on their story. Like with this whole controversy of how CNN covered this Steubenville rape trial, focusing on the "promising futures" of the victims. I don't believe that they are rape apologists or are trying to sway people; I think they're trying to get ratings. Same with misusing gun terminology.<

No. It's not. They're following the same script they've been following for about 20 years now. It doesn't matter if it's factual as long as the press can make it look like a reason to ban what they're looking to ban:

http://www.vpc.org/studies/awaconc.htm
The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons. In addition, few people can envision a practical use for these weapons.

They (VPC, Brady Campaign, Coalition to Ban Handguns, Handgun Control, whatever iteration they're using today) have been playing the "oops was that confusing?" game too long for it to be an accident. Let me guess, the VPC is actually the NRA, right?

NBC showed fully-automatic machine guns being fired during story about semi-automatic "assault weapons," just before the Senate voted on the federal "assault weapon" ban in 1993. NBC shows fully-automatic machine guns being fired during story about semi-automatic "assault weapons," just before the House of Representatives voted on the ban in 1994. CNN shows fully-automatic machine gun being fired during a story about semi-automatic "assault weapons," before the ban expired in 2004. I'm positive those were just as innocent as the explosives NBC planted in the truck to show how easily they explode on a side-on collision during a push for a recall the year before.

No one. I mean NO ONE can honestly say if they have followed the assault weapon ban at all that they could possibly confuse full auto with semi-auto if their professionalism were in question.

Nice passive aggressive argument. Shame you seem to never acknowledge defensive gun use.

2013-03-19 6:16 AM

User image

Per the Zombiapocolypse thread in this mess:

I've been contemplating the ideal bug-out handgun and I do believe I'm going to have to find myself a Medusa one of these days.
  • 38, .380, 9mm, .38 Super, .357, and any other 9mm or .38 caliber type. Seems to me that would be a hell of a "whatever I can scrounge" useful firearm.

• The no spare parts and company no longer in business does have drawbacks, though.

2013-03-19 6:24 AM

User image

Weld County Sheriff John Cooke says he won't enforce new gun-control measures, and legal experts say he won't be breaking the law.

The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22817663/weld-sheriffs-re...

Now that's interesting

More on the CO laws:

Outdoor Channel Blacklists Colorado Over Gun Control Laws
    http://godfatherpolitics.com/9838/outdoor-channel-blacklists-colora...

Edited by DanielG 2013-03-19 6:27 AM
    2013-03-19 6:56 AM
    in reply to: #4665567

User image

Sneaky Slow
    Herndon, VA,
    DanielG - 2013-03-19 7:00 AM
    tealeaf - 2013-03-19 5:39 AM

I think that the news media misuses all sorts of terms related to all sorts of issues for one main reason... to get eyeballs on their story... I think they're trying to get ratings. Same with misusing gun terminology.

No. It's not.
    TL;DR

I'll refer you to the Occam's Razor reference earlier in the thread.

I'll even grant you that different news organizations, for example FOX News, tailor word choice in their stories to their audience. But at the end of the day, it's much more about ratings than it is some random copy editor trying to influence politics.

Edited by tealeaf 2013-03-19 6:58 AM
    2013-03-19 6:58 AM

User image

It's intentional. If it were just the way the weapon fired or the way someone used a weapon, it'd be one thing, but it was the script. The writers do pay attention to detail when they're writing the script and they wanted to make a point.

It doesn't really matter that it doesn't match the scene. It matters that the media is colluding to intentionally confuse people to drum up support for a gun ban that is misplaced, and supported by people who are not educated on the firearms they want to ban?
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48