BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: trytritryguy

User image

Connecticut
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Sorry- double post

2014-01-03 12:53 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Originally posted by DJP_19

To the "Other Dave", we've been found out!

Stu - Yep, there are two of us. It's pretty easy to tell us apart, because the "Other Dave" is a proven triathlete.

I'm a lifelong Nutmegger and currently live in Farmington, a mere 20 minutes west of Hartford.

Dave Proulx, a.k.a. DJP_19

Definitely know Farmington. Ironically, I learned to swim in Farmington at Red Oak, which, at that time, was out in the middle of nowhere. I've heard all those woods were developed since then (dang... almost 50 years ago). As a teen, it was also my first job other than delivering the Hartford Times :-) I'm sure it is all very different now. Lovely town.

So welcome to the Daves from CT! Have either of you done the Quassy Rev3 event?

Last day of warmth and then back up north... looking at the weather around the country, retiring down here is looking like a better option all the time.

Stu

2014-01-03 1:29 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by QueenZipp

I found this swim set on a link from USAT yesterday.  Tried it today and liked it--the other one they had posted was 3400 yards which at my pathetically slow swim would take close to 90 minutes….

w/u 300

m/s 4x50K desc

100 recovery

4x50 pull w/ paddles  desc

100 recovery

4x50 pull buoy NO paddles

100 recovery

4x50 spring   RI 0:10

100 recovery

200 build by 50

100 backstroke KICK

c/d 200

if you are short for time the link said to omit the last 500 yards.   It was good to deconstruct the components of the stroke and put it all together.

Okay, {hanging my head in embarrassment}, I am CRAP and understanding swim workouts. What is descending mean? What is spring (other than the season we are dreaming of)? What is a build?

2014-01-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by ceilidh

Speaking of two Daves. Has anyone made a list of who is in this group? It would be helpful for some of us with tired brains.

Here is what I have as far as a roster. I'm attaching an Excel spreadsheet with the information that was available off of your BT profile. So, if your info is incomplete it's just based on what I could get off BT. Please let me know if I make any mistakes or missed anyone.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments
----------------
Gray Guy Roster.xlsx (10KB - 45 downloads)
2014-01-03 2:43 PM
in reply to: KOM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-03 3:17 PM
in reply to: juneapple

Farmington, Connecticut
Stu - Small world, isn't it? I live about a mile from the Red Oak pool and have friends who are members. I run by there occasionally. You're right, the town has been developed quite a bit since you and I were kids, but it has retained a bit of its colonial New England feel.

I have not done a Quassy event. So far, I'm signed up for a first sprint in Ridgefield, and have the Litchfield Hills road race on my calendar as well.

Have a few friends who may have done Quassy, will check. Another popular series are the Tri's held at Lake Terramuggus in Hebron, both Sprint and Olympic distance.

Dave

2014-01-03 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by juneapple

Scott, one follow-up question on your swimming post (thanks again). I find, for me personally anyway, that my stroke breaks down primarily because of lack of swim fitness and that I have to go through a period of "just dealing with it" on the getting back swim fitness before my stroke is solid for distance. Is this a bit of chicken and egg? I'll also throw in that I found doing the postal challenge once a month (a hard distance swim) was a great workout (both physically and mentally) and that I swam much better the week following that workout. But you'd be totally correct that I probably didn't do enough sprint work generally. Regardless, swim is definitely more technique driven than the other disciplines, so getting that right first totally makes sense. Not sure if you can do that well without a coach.

Stu

Stu -

Assuming that technique is good to begin with, I agree that stroke mechanics break down largely as a result of fatigue.  Clearly, overall swim fitness will dictate how rapidly fatigue will occur.  That is where a well thought out training plan comes into play.

Back in the day, when I was at the height of my swimming career, on average we were putting in 12-15,000 meters per day, seven days a week.  Every year, after short course Nationals in December we would take a week off - didn't even LOOK at a pool, let alone get in one and train.  Then we would come back the week before Christmas and for two weeks, do maybe 1,000 meters/day working on NOTHING but technique - we went back to fundamentals.  Sets were something like 20 x 50 @ 2:00.  After that two week period, we would go to a 2-3 week period of Extensive Endurance training sessions, meaning slow pace, long rest periods - the focus was on technique first, and base endurance second.  After long course nationals in August, we would take three weeks off, then do the same thing, 2 weeks of technique training followed by 2-3 weeks of Extensive Endurance training. This was for a team of swimmers that had ALL qualified for a National Championship at one time or another, most were Olympians and many held or had held World and/or American records. How much more important would the same type of training be for the average triathlete swimmer? After the initial stroke technique and base build phases we would go into periodized cycles that lasted 3-4 weeks and went through Intermediate and Intensive Endurance (the vomit reps) training.  During the recovery week, we would always incorporate stroke technique training sessions.  The whole point of all of that was obviously to increase speed, but as importantly, it was to develop endurance and increase the period of time before fatigue caused stroke degradation.  Also, it was to so fully commit proper technique to muscle memory that if the stroke broke down, it would break down to the proper technique stored in muscle memory. 

An example of what I mean by "storing proper technique to muscle memory."  As everyone knows, proper freestyle technique includes good body rotation, full extension at the beginning of the stroke and a pull going to full extension at the hip.  Body rotation and full extension at entry are pretty easy to maintain as you get tired, however getting to full extension at the end of the pull becomes increasingly difficult as fatigue sets in.  The arms start to get heavy, lactate builds up and the triceps just don't want to get the hand down to the recovery position (thumb brushing the hip).  However, if that same swimmer had done appropriate work on technique, followed by a solid base endurance build - focusing on technique during the build where proper technique was repeated over and over and over again - then proper technique is just the way he/she would swim.  When fatigue sets in (which will take much longer because of a proper base endurance build) it is much less likely that stroke will break down because the body only knows one way to do the stroke - the correct way.

As to your final point, about needing a coach. I say all the time that the best thing you can do to improve your swim is to get with a good coach. I can write articles all day and comment on video all night, while that may help, it is not a substitute for a coach on deck who can provide instant feedback. Yes, a swimmer needs to put in the yards and do the speed work, however that is almost pointless if the technique is not correct. I started swimming 44 years ago and have coached swimming off and on for the past 30 years. Yet, I still get in the water every now and again with my coach on deck, just to make sure technique is where it should be.

Not sure if that answers the "chicken or the egg" question or not.  In my humble opinion, technique trumps everything.  It has to come first and then build endurance with proper technique.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-03 4:55 PM
2014-01-03 9:34 PM
in reply to: lutzman

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by lutzman

Here is what I have as far as a roster. I'm attaching an Excel spreadsheet with the information that was available off of your BT profile. So, if your info is incomplete it's just based on what I could get off BT. Please let me know if I make any mistakes or missed anyone.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks Steve! This will be a big help when I go to set up the contest.

James
2014-01-03 10:28 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: The Catch and Pull

Hi Everyone,

I have finally finished the 'Catch and Pull' article I have been working on.  The article is fairly long and I don't want to 'force it' on anyone so I only put a brief excerpt below.  You can find the full article on my website at: http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique/38-the-catch-and-pull.  Hope it helps those that may be struggling with the swim.

The freestyle catch may be the single most misunderstood thing in swimming. I regularly hear it described as “the most important part of the freestyle stroke.” I won’t go that far because saying the catch is the most important minimizes other parts of the stroke.  No one part of the stroke is more important than any other part of the stroke. I will say however, that the greatest difference between average swimmers (that includes the VAST majority of triathletes) and an elite swimmer is that the elite swimmer has an immensely superior catch.

Arguably, the catch itself provides no actual propulsion. In many ways, the catch is nothing more than a brief transitional phase between the entry and the pull. Done correctly, you will be more effective through the entire pull phase, resulting in a powerful, fast stroke. Done incorrectly, you will have an inefficient stroke that generates very little forward thrust.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2014-01-04 5:08 AM

For some reason, my mac won't let me open our roster. It's just a page of jumbled letters. Any ideas?
2014-01-04 5:17 AM
in reply to: Kris67

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Kris67

For some reason, my mac won't let me open our roster. It's just a page of jumbled letters. Any ideas?

I have the same problem. Maybe uploading the spreadsheet to Google Docs would help?

2014-01-04 6:02 AM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Kris67 For some reason, my mac won't let me open our roster. It's just a page of jumbled letters. Any ideas?

Had the same problem if I just clicked on the link.  When I downloaded the file, it downloaded as an .html file.  I changed the file extension to the Excel extension - .xlsx - the file opened although Excel had to repair it.  Your using a Mac so make sure whatever software you are using can recognize and open a Microsoft  Excel document.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-04 6:32 AM
2014-01-04 6:31 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Got it, just had to use a work computer, thanks
2014-01-04 6:48 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I found this swim set on a link from USAT yesterday.  Tried it today and liked it--the other one they had posted was 3400 yards which at my pathetically slow swim would take close to 90 minutes….

w/u 300

m/s 4x50K desc

100 recovery

100 recovery

100 recovery

100 recovery

200 build by 50

100 backstroke KICK

c/d 200

if you are short for time the link said to omit the last 500 yards.   It was good to deconstruct the components of the stroke and put it all together.

Okay, {hanging my head in embarrassment}, I am CRAP and understanding swim workouts. What is descending mean? What is spring (other than the season we are dreaming of)? What is a build?

Descending in a swim set means the first one might be easy to comfortable but you are supposed to go faster on each one.  Spring is a typo, should be SPRINT.   Build is when yo hare doing a little faster for a each part of the distance given. (it's like descending but you are continually swimming that 200 instead of stopping at the 50)

2014-01-04 7:41 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Champion
Bronze member

w/u 300

m/s 4x50K desc

100 recovery

100 recovery

100 recovery

100 recovery

200 build by 50

100 backstroke KICK

c/d 200

Descending in a swim set means the first one might be easy to comfortable but you are supposed to go faster on each one.  Spring is a typo, should be SPRINT.   Build is when yo hare doing a little faster for a each part of the distance given. (it's like descending but you are continually swimming that 200 instead of stopping at the 50)

thanks Judi!

2014-01-04 7:46 AM

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by Kris67 For some reason, my mac won't let me open our roster. It's just a page of jumbled letters. Any ideas?

Had the same problem if I just clicked on the link.  When I downloaded the file, it downloaded as an .html file.  I changed the file extension to the Excel extension - .xlsx - the file opened although Excel had to repair it.  Your using a Mac so make sure whatever software you are using can recognize and open a Microsoft  Excel document.

I had the same problem, this worked for me, too. Thanks all for doing this.

2014-01-04 7:49 AM

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The Catch and Pull

Originally posted by k9car363

Hi Everyone,

I have finally finished the 'Catch and Pull' article I have been working on.  The article is fairly long and I don't want to 'force it' on anyone so I only put a brief excerpt below.  You can find the full article on my website at: http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique/38-the-catch-and-pull.  Hope it helps those that may be struggling with the swim.

The freestyle catch may be the single most misunderstood thing in swimming. I regularly hear it described as “the most important part of the freestyle stroke.” I won’t go that far because saying the catch is the most important minimizes other parts of the stroke.  No one part of the stroke is more important than any other part of the stroke. I will say however, that the greatest difference between average swimmers (that includes the VAST majority of triathletes) and an elite swimmer is that the elite swimmer has an immensely superior catch.

Arguably, the catch itself provides no actual propulsion. In many ways, the catch is nothing more than a brief transitional phase between the entry and the pull. Done correctly, you will be more effective through the entire pull phase, resulting in a powerful, fast stroke. Done incorrectly, you will have an inefficient stroke that generates very little forward thrust.

WOW, great article. I have read it, I will re-read it. I have to admit, I get overwhelmed reading your advise.

2014-01-04 7:51 AM

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Scott - thanks for your reply to my semi-question. You covered the chicken and egg portion perfectly! Really cool to hear what national level training was like. Also, your article on the catch is excellent. Thank you for taking the time to write that up.

Dave - wow, it is a small world indeed! Is that "huge" cornfield down by the Farmington river still there? We used to get the best fresh corn from there at the end of every summer (maybe the Eaton's?). I can still taste it! Funny small world story - after I left the area, Red Oak hired my high school swim coach to be their summer manager and coach. To come full circle, one day when I was at the local pool in Virginia, I was chatting with the master's coach, learning about his background (old school coach type)... turned out he had been the head coach at NC State for years. I asked him if he happened to be there back in the 70s when my high school coach swam at NC State, and of course, he remembered John. So, thanks to the internet, I found my old coach's email address and caught up with him and passed on greetings from his old college coach. So, yes, it is definitely a small world. Love those kind of connections!

Heading back home today. Been good to be someplace warm this week to jumpstart (restart?) training for 2014. Now let's see if I can keep the momentum going in January.

Also, if someone doesn't get to it before I do, next week I'll create an html table of the group with links to people's logs for easy reference for inspires, etc.

Stu

2014-01-04 8:09 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

2014-01-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: juneapple

2014-01-04 8:14 AM

2014-01-04 9:25 AM

Regular
Originally posted by Kris67

Kristen--Great. Glad it worked. Those pesky Macs.....

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-01-04 9:26 AM
2014-01-04 9:28 AM

Regular
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

Well the links didn't copy.. This is on my log with links to training logs if you can want to copy it from there for some reason the links didn't copy with my post.

I couldn't make the links copy either. And I couldn't find a way to paste into a message. I just gave up and just attached the file.

Steve
2014-01-04 12:21 PM

Dublin, Ohio
Depressing day here in Ohio......Buckeye loss and college football is over.

On a bright note, great run today!

2014-01-04 12:31 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

It's pretty darn cold here in Richmond.  No snow though.

My husband and I had a TRX session this morning so I did 2 miles on the treadmill to warm up for that.  After I got home I did an hour on the trainer with a quick transition run on the treadmill.  Now to clean my house…..(I want a maid!)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18761 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.