BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-11 10:39 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by amd723

gain 10 pounds since Chattanooga. 

SAME, but for me it was a lack of moving and eating everything in sight.

Doing a January Whole30 right now and weight is going in the right direction. It's so hard though!

I am up as well but have a mental block with making a public weight loss goal ... perhaps for me it's about setting the movement. But i am like Janyne - i decided to reduce my number of lattes and also to lighten lunch to salad/soup (usually homemade) to boost veggies and fruits. 

2019-01-11 10:39 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Also, TGIF everyone!!! 

2019-01-11 10:43 AM
in reply to: BIGGODlilme

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BIGGODlilme Hi I am Erin and I am very new. Sorry I am late. I have started a "training program" NAME: Erin OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm really private, I am trying to work on it. Twitter @BigGODlilme even though I barely go on STORY: I am a 36 year old USAF veteran, who is currently working P/T and going to Nursing School. I have always loved to run and be active especially as a child. I have realized I have not made activity a priority for me in the past 20 years so I am hoping to form better habits. What better time than in Nursing School? I was working on goals for this year and the 12 year old in me said remember the triathlon you wanted to do. No excuses now. Better now than never. I am slim but not in the greatest shape, I am looking forward to building muscle and endurance. I did a 5K last May and stopped running again. I really hope to build habits and stay consistent. FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very sweet and supportive man, 2 kiddos, 1 Fur baby who demands to be the only furbaby LOL CURRENT TRAINING: On week two of the program on this site http://www.triathlon-hacks.com/best-beginner-triathlon-training-pro... THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I have browsed through some, I am hoping to do an Olympic event this year. My complete out of the box goal was a 70.3 but I don't want to injure myself GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Build a consistant foundation, and pursue my goals WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have a lot of questions and I am love encouraging people.

Welcome, Erin!

What state do you live in? Tell me about your fur baby? Mine is Zoe. She is a 3yo golden retriever.

I look forward to getting to know you!

2019-01-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: BIGGODlilme

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by BIGGODlilme Hi I am Erin and I am very new. Sorry I am late. I have started a "training program" NAME: Erin OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm really private, I am trying to work on it. Twitter @BigGODlilme even though I barely go on STORY: I am a 36 year old USAF veteran, who is currently working P/T and going to Nursing School. I have always loved to run and be active especially as a child. I have realized I have not made activity a priority for me in the past 20 years so I am hoping to form better habits. What better time than in Nursing School? I was working on goals for this year and the 12 year old in me said remember the triathlon you wanted to do. No excuses now. Better now than never. I am slim but not in the greatest shape, I am looking forward to building muscle and endurance. I did a 5K last May and stopped running again. I really hope to build habits and stay consistent. FAMILY STATUS: Married to a very sweet and supportive man, 2 kiddos, 1 Fur baby who demands to be the only furbaby LOL CURRENT TRAINING: On week two of the program on this site http://www.triathlon-hacks.com/best-beginner-triathlon-training-pro... THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I have browsed through some, I am hoping to do an Olympic event this year. My complete out of the box goal was a 70.3 but I don't want to injure myself GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Build a consistant foundation, and pursue my goals WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I have a lot of questions and I am love encouraging people.

Welcome Erin, you are in the group just under the wire. We are about to button up for this year, since the challenge kicks off on Monday. Also, thank you for your service.

2019-01-11 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by cdban66

I work in Financial Services, in the tech side. We have a running joke about CFO's writing memo's in Excel. I may have some stories I could share, but I'll leave it alone.

Have at it on the spreadsheet, I'll take any improvements any one wants to make!

What on earth is wrong with writing memos and letters in excel? I don't understand the issue
Right...? That's the only legitimate way to write them! To be fairly hones, I get lost in Word docs.... And if somebody did some weird formatting and added some funky stuff, you would be surprised how many times I decided to simply re-type the whole text just to have it on a plain white paper....

My life is dealing with people who treat powerpoint as detailed reports and stuff everything into a presentation ... same but not the same ... working through one right now for two different groups who want different things

I do love excel too! 

Wow, all the Excel love in this group, clearly i am missing something!

2019-01-11 11:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome, Erin!

What state do you live in? Tell me about your fur baby? Mine is Zoe. She is a 3yo golden retriever.

Oh man, she is way too cute! 

Sadly we put our 14.5 year old chocolate to sleep in December. It was time but still so hard. Now, I feel like i attack all dogs i see to give them lots of pets and belly rubs. No new fur babies are on the horizon for us. Not until our kids are bigger. 

2019-01-11 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Okay all, I do believe that we are closing up the group, with Erin and David being the last two new members. Welcome everyone. 

A few housekeeping items that I believe we have covered, but one last time just to keep us all on the same page:

• Please open your logs to the rest of the group in order for us to be able to help everyone. Being able to see what each other is doing makes it easy to help.
  • Use your logs, as that helps all of us help all of us.
  • Opening your logs up also allows us to send Inspires, which many of us use to communicate with one another.
  • Check in to the thread regularly, even if it is to say hello and admit that you are not on the training boat. Life happens, we all miss stuff at times, but stopping in and saying hello will help you out in the long run.
  • If you are involved in the Jogo Challenge, get your info into the challenge sheet(s).
  • No questions are too small or don't matter. If I have learned anything about this group it is that while we want you to improve as a triathlete, we care about you as a person.
  • We can be a talkative group at times, so don't feel like you have to keep up with every conversation.

I am hoping for another great year of Manatee madness, with maximum Enthusiasm.

2019-01-11 11:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks, Chris! We're gonna have a great year!

Regarding the Challenges

I'm doing the Keep on Moving (aka JoGo) challenge. I want to run every day for it.

I do need to clarify one thing, is the end date Feb 24? I was giving myself permission to stop at a certain number which is a few days before that. It would not kill me to run a few more days but I may just say 30 minutes of activity once I get to 100. So I guess swim, bike, or run every day.

I'm thinking of some sort of strength something 2-3 times a week. I'll need to mull over how to track that one.

I added a strength/core/yoga tab. I started with 3 times per week. Feel free to add/remove columns if your particular challenge is twice as week or five times a week or whatever.

Also, Erin asked about steps at work. Of course steps at work count!

Edited by jmkizer 2019-01-11 12:28 PM
2019-01-11 12:36 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by kbhanson3

Originally posted by kbhanson3 NAME: Karl Hanson OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Strava and Instagram (kbhanson3 there too) STORY: I ventured into the multisport in 2012 and have done several sprints & Oly's since. Last year after St. Anthony's I decided to take a (permanent?) hiatus from running (my wife telling me for the 47th time that I'm just not built to be a runner might have finally sunk in). But I still enjoy swimming and cycling so I plan to continue along with Aquabikes. Originally, my motivation was weight loss, which is still a motivating factor, but now it's more about general fitness and enjoying outdoor activities. FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 kids (DD 19 & DS 16) and 1 dog CURRENT TRAINING: 2018 was a lazy year for me post-St. Anthony's. Since May, my "training" can only be described as maintenance work at best. I will be starting a swim training plan to boost my endurance later this month after returning from a short trip next week. I still need to find a plan to build endurance on the bike. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Shooting for a HI Aquabike in the fall. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Being part of a group with folks who have similar interests, motivations and goals helps me stay focused. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I aspire to be a good Manatee (certainly a better one than I was last year!) by participating in the group discussions more regularly and cheering on the rest of the pod.

Welcome back, Karl! I know more and more people who are into Aquabike. In fact, one of my riding buddies always does the Lake Logan Half Aquabike. I'm sure that there are events closer to you though.

I'll add you to the Strava group momentarily.

I like to looks of the Lake Logan event & I have a place I could bunk in Waynesville so will give it a hard look for this year. Thanks for the suggestion!

The half is QUITE HILLY. The Oly is not. I am currently planning to do the HIM. I think that Lisa is looking at doing the Oly.

Waynesville is the perfect place to stay!

Bike course is too hilly for a flatlander? He asks hoping you were thinking of the run course....

I'm a flatlander and did it! Finished in 3:26.  Garmin gave me 3330 ft of elevation.  I had been training on the Florida hills in Clermont, but still found this to be a tough course. Janyne and Lisa -non flatlanders, can give you their perspective on toughness.  FYI, I bailed on the swim last year as the water was something like minus 12  and I have hypothermia issue , but will say it is a gorgeous lake, gorgeous venue and I am contemplating going back this year . (maybe just for the oly though b/c there is a bike event i may do that Saturday).  

So maybe the Oly for me too! Closest thing we have to hills here are the bridges.
I am tentatively planning on the Oly.

2019-01-11 12:44 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am not sure what I want to do for the challenge. I can think of a couple of ideas but can't decide. My diet could use work, but I live with Mom and she has her taste in food as well. Some of meal-planning (and not planning LOL) is out of my control. I do eat a lot of healthy food, but I think sometimes too much sugar and refined carbs as well. Not so much as I like it all that much as I'm keeping Mom company eating. Also pretty hard to quantify that stuff. Guessing my diet would horrify a lot of athletes at my level. (Ramen, ice cream, PBJ make regular appearances. I have been accused, by my own students, of eating like a 10-year-old!) I do like veggies and salads and fruit and eat them regularly, but trendy "superfoods" like kale and quinoa have not passed down my gullet in months. I would eat them if served them, to be polite....I guess. Also thinking about some kind of strength or flexibility challenge, maybe doing so many minutes per day of one or both. That's something I could easily do on my own time. I really don't do enough of it. Something always feels tight, and strength....well, let's just say it's always been a limiter! Don't want to do anything related to swim/bike/run volume as I am already involved in a USAT team challenge with my online club. So right now I am logging workouts on TP, BT (because I like the graphs and yearly totals and Manatees), and a USAT contest site. Arrrgh!
I like the idea of strength training, as that's actually my own challenge, separate from our Excel tracking. Would we have more participants interested? If so, would would be the best way to measure and track the progress? Days with strength training, like with days active? If we do not have anymore than Karen and I, maybe the two of us could use the "days active" tab for the "strength days? What do you think? (side note, I hate the fact I cannot spell strength... this is the only one word I had to spell check and correct in the whole text, multiple times... grrr... I also cannot pronounce it :/ )
I would be up for a strength training challenge, too. But if not, I will do it on my own. several months of not being able to be active or do my usual yard work/ strength training has left me rather mushy. I plan on doing two to 3 days a week

2019-01-11 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Welcome, Erin!

Welsome Erin! You will find this a great group to be with.

Hi Zoe! Raven sez HI!

(Raven_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Raven_o.jpg (149KB - 4 downloads)

2019-01-11 12:54 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Hot Runner I am not sure what I want to do for the challenge. I can think of a couple of ideas but can't decide. My diet could use work, but I live with Mom and she has her taste in food as well. Some of meal-planning (and not planning LOL) is out of my control. I do eat a lot of healthy food, but I think sometimes too much sugar and refined carbs as well. Not so much as I like it all that much as I'm keeping Mom company eating. Also pretty hard to quantify that stuff. Guessing my diet would horrify a lot of athletes at my level. (Ramen, ice cream, PBJ make regular appearances. I have been accused, by my own students, of eating like a 10-year-old!) I do like veggies and salads and fruit and eat them regularly, but trendy "superfoods" like kale and quinoa have not passed down my gullet in months. I would eat them if served them, to be polite....I guess. Also thinking about some kind of strength or flexibility challenge, maybe doing so many minutes per day of one or both. That's something I could easily do on my own time. I really don't do enough of it. Something always feels tight, and strength....well, let's just say it's always been a limiter! Don't want to do anything related to swim/bike/run volume as I am already involved in a USAT team challenge with my online club. So right now I am logging workouts on TP, BT (because I like the graphs and yearly totals and Manatees), and a USAT contest site. Arrrgh!
I like the idea of strength training, as that's actually my own challenge, separate from our Excel tracking. Would we have more participants interested? If so, would would be the best way to measure and track the progress? Days with strength training, like with days active? If we do not have anymore than Karen and I, maybe the two of us could use the "days active" tab for the "strength days? What do you think? (side note, I hate the fact I cannot spell strength... this is the only one word I had to spell check and correct in the whole text, multiple times... grrr... I also cannot pronounce it :/ )
I would be up for a strength training challenge, too. But if not, I will do it on my own. several months of not being able to be active or do my usual yard work/ strength training has left me rather mushy. I plan on doing two to 3 days a week

I'll see you two in the spreadsheet!

2019-01-11 1:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

I'll see you two in the spreadsheet!

Already there

So.. I am doing all the challenges except good eats. I am need to lose weight, I am gonna do my best to lose 10 pounds. I need to move more and get going with a training plan (when I am released from the doc) and in general get myself together. My diet is rather good, we eat tons off veggies, whole foods, hardly any processed anything, good seafood and no sodas or snacks. The evil for me is lack of movement and wine.

Edited by ceilidh 2019-01-11 1:13 PM
2019-01-11 1:23 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'm in for the "keep moving" challenge. I am on a bit of a streak as it is, and this will help me keep it going 

For me, it will be (minimum) 30 minutes of cardio per day.

2019-01-11 1:36 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Orlando

FYI, i think i may have already screwed up the google sheet   I tried to add my name to the weightloss , no more green boxes though, and it looks like somehow i made the instructions copy themselves! I'll let one of you excel wonderkids fix it!! Like i said before, i don't do excel!!

2019-01-11 1:50 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

FYI, i think i may have already screwed up the google sheet   I tried to add my name to the weightloss , no more green boxes though, and it looks like somehow i made the instructions copy themselves! I'll let one of you excel wonderkids fix it!! Like i said before, i don't do excel!!

If I had a dime for every time counsel messed up one of my spreadsheets...

2019-01-11 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I have it cleared up, I think. You are in there, but your numbers are not.

2019-01-11 1:55 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

haha, my paralegal hates me too!

2019-01-11 1:55 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

I have it cleared up, I think. You are in there, but your numbers are not.

thanks, i hadn't entered any numbers yet, waiting for 1/14.

2019-01-11 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

haha, my paralegal hates me too!

I usually "lock" them before I send them to the USAO

2019-01-11 3:16 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Welcome again David and welcome Erin. Glad to have you in the group!

Thanks Janyne for inserting the core strength tab. That's something I really need to work on this year. I find that if I'm training for a HIM, I can't really maintain a solid weight training schedule. I need to work my core more though.

Do any of you have a short core workout and/or flexibility routine you could share? I find that I tend to do a lot better following a program, otherwise I'm really tempted to cut things short.

2019-01-11 4:01 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by awm007

Welcome again David and welcome Erin. Glad to have you in the group!

Thanks Janyne for inserting the core strength tab. That's something I really need to work on this year. I find that if I'm training for a HIM, I can't really maintain a solid weight training schedule. I need to work my core more though.

Do any of you have a short core workout and/or flexibility routine you could share? I find that I tend to do a lot better following a program, otherwise I'm really tempted to cut things short.

I do not have a program, but I fiund something that works for me: I went through almost all core/strenght exercises, and picked the ones I really liked. I tend to dislike the whole program if there is something I did not enjoy. ANd since all exercises work well, it doesn't really matter if I had 30 different ones, or good solid 5 exercises. I've been doing the following, 3 times per week (Mon, Wed, Fri):

20 of each, 2 sets:
scissors
bicycle
V
Superman
Leg lifts (very, very slow)
Weight twists

Plank variations (each one for 20 seconds):
regular, on elbow
each side on elbow
each side on straight arm
knee to elbow
plank to balance
plank with lifted leg
reverse plank

Push-ups - I use a simple plan to get to 100. I do it on the knees, so am not sure how helpful those are for the core. But if you do the regular ones, then obviously, it will help.

The whole routine takes me around 20 minutes.

I also use my daughter's gymnastic bar for inverted row and some little stuff like trying to lift my legs when hanging on the pull up.
And jump ropes (not core-specific).

I noticed that after 2-3 weeks of those it improved my rock climbing. Those my few ideas to work on the core.
2019-01-11 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racin Manatees!!!

January 12-13
Randee - Walt Disney World half marathon on Saturday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-01-11 5:30 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racin Manatees!!!

January 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Thanks Marysia! that looks like a solid program!

I'm jealous! I really want to do the Disney Half (despite the ridiculously early start time)!
2019-01-11 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racin Manatees!!!

January 12-13

Is anyone else racing?

Go Randee!

Should be pretty good weather for a HM. Thursday and Friday were cooler, but still pretty good for tomorrow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107