Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by Fred D
Does the CP calculation from Golden Cheetah mean very much?

It will be more accurate if you have some short 100% efforts and longer 100% efforts. However 1hr test is the most accurate.

Do people include zero's in their data or not when doing their average power?

Yes, zeros included

2013-10-15 7:00 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-15 7:02 PM
in reply to: brigby1

2013-10-15 7:04 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ChrisM

Ran an 18K Xterra trail run yesterday.  Everytime I do an xterra run I wonder why I don't do more, they are so much fun!    Did my first in 2010, the 11K version of this run, at a 13 minute mile average.  Last year did the 11K again at an 11 minute mile average.  Yesterday did the 18K, basically the 11K course plus a lot more climbing, at 9:25 per mile average, last mile was a 7:15 pace!  Never run that fast, helps that it was downhill, but it's a pretty technical downhill singletrack.   Mud and dirt is fun

This was where we had a major fire last year, so the entire run is through a coastal burn area.  Oddly beautiful in its own way, like running on a moonscape over the ocean.

Chris, they televised IM Whistler yesterday. I recorded it. i will rip a DVD and give it to you in Miami. It's mostly pro action but I am sure you will recognize the scenery.

Cool, thanks!  I knew they were televising it.

Arend and Marc, when do you get in and where are you staying?  Coming in Friday 2 ish, hope to be able to get all my check in done that day.  Staying at the Intercontinental i guess right there at the race site.   Still wondering where tri bike transport is gonna be.....

Chris - just because I am old, slow and fragile I do almost all of my long runs on trails and forest service roads, which around here for the most part means hilly-to-mountainous and sometimes fairly rugged. So I agree 100% to the "not sure why I don't do more trail races." So, this coming season we actually have a fair number on the calendar, most of which are xterra brand. After 3 years of IM focused training, I really want to see how much speed I can get back, but honestly was having a hard time getting jacked up for road racing. So I have some 5k road tests sprinkled through the season (starting last weekend), but the real focus will be on the trails. Now if only we could get our federal parks opened back up.

And oh, I cannot remember if I posted it here or not, but after I recovered from my back injury and was cleared to run and swim again, I was on the verge of signing up for Miami with you guys. Let me say that without a doubt not doing so was the smartest thing I have done in a very, very long time...! 

2013-10-15 7:04 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by axteraa

Sam Gyde's bike and run data:

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/4IA7KR2ERDSQFNGGMHR3A3QKX4

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/SVK4T4RVMCLM57CWYQ5MLJQHC4

Only 278w for 4.5 hours.  

. Those are watts that a pro would be proud of!

meh. That just sounds like one of Ben's recovery rides....

I do have one where the NP wasn't far off from his at that time point, but AP was noticeably below as there were a number of rather sharp ups and downs. Although going more than 100 ft without the bike at the end would have been a considerable challenge (~5:40 total ride). 

if you can average those NP watts for that time, then kudos to you! Also, I could not have run after today's effort.... In fact I rested on top of the mountain for more than a few minutes....

Did you include the rest?

2013-10-15 7:06 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

2013-10-15 7:09 PM

2013-10-15 7:11 PM

Extreme Veteran

Marc, how do you properly do the CP calculation in GC? Do you enter 1h, or 60 min? It seems to come up with a curve and cp number on its own, no?

There is a critical power estimator under tools. You enter a short test value (3-5min) and long (15-60min) and it calculates a CP
Or you load a bunch of rides into GC and look at the CP curve. The more tests of misc durations you have, the more accurate it will be.

In the CP curve you will see the calculated curve (in red) and points along the curve you actually hit. The more points along the curve, the more accurate.

do tests of various durations and you will get a more accurate curve.

2013-10-15 7:18 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Not to steer the conversation away from the bike discussion, but even though my training has been herky-jerky of late, I have been able to begin to incorporate some much harder runs than usual in. Until today it has all been pace-intervals on the road, but today I finally got sent to the track for the first time in 3 years for a short little ladder workout.

25 minute warm up, 2x400 @ 6:30 pace to dust the legs off, then:

(3x)
100 ON
100 off
200 ON
100 off
300 ON
200 off
400 ON
400 off

ON pace was set at 5:05, which turned out to be flat-out on my 400s

20 minute warm-down.

I have had jelly legs all day. it is glorious.

2013-10-15 8:16 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Fred D Rusty, you need to chime in here (you know for the group challenges ;-)). http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

In.

2013-10-15 10:26 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Sam Gyde's bike and run data:

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/4IA7KR2ERDSQFNGGMHR3A3QKX4

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/SVK4T4RVMCLM57CWYQ5MLJQHC4

Only 278w for 4.5 hours.  

. Those are watts that a pro would be proud of!

meh. That just sounds like one of Ben's recovery rides....

I do have one where the NP wasn't far off from his at that time point, but AP was noticeably below as there were a number of rather sharp ups and downs. Although going more than 100 ft without the bike at the end would have been a considerable challenge (~5:40 total ride). 

if you can average those NP watts for that time, then kudos to you! Also, I could not have run after today's effort.... In fact I rested on top of the mountain for more than a few minutes....

Thanks! End of that route goes up a mountain as well, 900 ft climb and it doesn't play nice.

Would love to try the challenge you put up, but am having trouble really pushing the effort again, since the last race. Have to build up for awhile. Some respiration issues and some with metabolizing the energy. Go too hard too fast in a workout and everything shuts down even though I could have progressed well past that building up more slowly. Everything will be some type of progression for awhile. The way you did that seemed almost like one of the Training & Racing w/a Powermeter workouts. If I remember right, it goes something like 1 hr sweet spot, 1.5-2 hr 70-85%, 1 hr 90-94%. That was a solid challenge. I didn't quite make it through the hour as my feet were getting too sore (trainer), but 45 min isn't too bad. Loving the big sets they have in there.

2013-10-16 5:11 AM

2013-10-16 8:26 AM

Elite
Ontario

Not to steer the conversation away from the bike discussion, but even though my training has been herky-jerky of late, I have been able to begin to incorporate some much harder runs than usual in. Until today it has all been pace-intervals on the road, but today I finally got sent to the track for the first time in 3 years for a short little ladder workout.

25 minute warm up, 2x400 @ 6:30 pace to dust the legs off, then:

(3x)
100 ON
100 off
200 ON
100 off
300 ON
200 off
400 ON
400 off

ON pace was set at 5:05, which turned out to be flat-out on my 400s

20 minute warm-down.

I have had jelly legs all day. it is glorious.

Good time to ask a run question.  I'm in week 6 of the BarryP plan to run 6x per week, and increase the mileage - should be somewhere around 33 miles this week.  So far so good, except last week was a cutback week and I got sick, so it got cutback even more than intended, an yesterdays run showed I'm not fully better yet.

Anyway, the question is this.  Should I stick strictly to running easy for the full 12 weeks as prescribed in Barry's plan, or can I/should I ramp up the intensity every once in a while.  I'm running the 3 shorter runs a little quicker than recovery pace, the two medium runs are right around 8min pace which is right in the middle of my easy pace, and the longer run I tend to push the pace just a little faster/harder (we're talking in the high 7's).  Paces are all spit out by McMillan.  I'm getting very comfortable running easy, but maybe I'm getting a bit too comfortable?? That said, it hasn't been an issue to keep running day in day out, and I haven't really felt the mileage increase in my legs (but I've also been off my bike the entire time).

2013-10-16 8:30 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

Neil, where exactly are you seeing that, to make sure we're looking at the same thing? From what I've read of BarryP, it tends to be more a lot of guidelines.

2013-10-16 8:32 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Rusty, nice work. I'm still trying to build my running back up to the point where I can absorb consistent quality workouts but am hoping for a track session tomorrow after an easier couple days.

Since we are all talking power, I'm sure some of you have already seen it but nice little thread on ST with Kona AG power data. It is nice to see what FOP AGers are doing besides just the FOP pros. Pretty crazy how 'easy' of a day it looked to be in comparison to other. A lot of sub 5 rides with efforts that aren't all that high. Obviously solid work and some had great runs but taking the the bike data in isolation it looks to have been a really fast course.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4810867;sb=post_latest_...
2013-10-16 8:37 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

Anyway, the question is this.  Should I stick strictly to running easy for the full 12 weeks as prescribed in Barry's plan, or can I/should I ramp up the intensity every once in a while.  I'm running the 3 shorter runs a little quicker than recovery pace, the two medium runs are right around 8min pace which is right in the middle of my easy pace, and the longer run I tend to push the pace just a little faster/harder (we're talking in the high 7's).  Paces are all spit out by McMillan.  I'm getting very comfortable running easy, but maybe I'm getting a bit too comfortable?? That said, it hasn't been an issue to keep running day in day out, and I haven't really felt the mileage increase in my legs (but I've also been off my bike the entire time).

I don't know the ins and outs of BarryP but given that you are coming off an injury I would stick with a whole lot of easy.  I do a lot of easy runs and they definitely fall into what I would consider very comfortable.

2013-10-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: 0

Edited by TSimone 2013-10-16 8:43 AM
2013-10-16 8:42 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Neil,

Having read that a few times, I know people will make the medium days a tempo run. Start with one tempo on a medium day and see how your feeling. I'd keep the long run easy and to purpose...unless you have a race and need to get some race pace miles in or something.
I know there are a ton of threads on that plan though so not sure what is gospel vs frankensteining the plan.
My 3 cents
2013-10-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: TSimone

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by TSimone

Neil, where exactly are you seeing that, to make sure we're looking at the same thing? From what I've read of BarryP, it tends to be more a lot of guidelines.

I agree.  You pretty much have to decide for yourself (he does offer some advice though) how much of a base you have and what you can handle to run injury free.  If you have an adequate base move on to phase 2.  He recommends extending phase 1 for a marathon as long as possible though, and moving to phase 2 12-16 weeks from goal race.   

Unless I read it wrong, I took it as phase 1 should be a minimum of 12 weeks, and it should all be easy.  Extend phase 1 as long as possible, and then transition into the other phases geared towards a specific race and then start to add in the intensity.  I'm basically only at week 6, plus my running was shall we say "light" the past few months.

2013-10-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: acumenjay

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by acumenjay

Neil,

Having read that a few times, I know people will make the medium days a tempo run. Start with one tempo on a medium day and see how your feeling. I'd keep the long run easy and to purpose...unless you have a race and need to get some race pace miles in or something.
I know there are a ton of threads on that plan though so not sure what is gospel vs frankensteining the plan.
My 3 cents

I agree. Keep the long runs easy for now, same for the short runs.

Slowly build up some speed on the medium runs. Slowly extend the time you spend either at threshold or tempo. Do it once a week for now

Start at 15' tempo or 10' threshold and slowly build up but with a good warm up and some cool down.

Eventually do some intervals in your medium run, but that is a ways off.

Medium runs are a good place to do this work.

2013-10-16 10:03 AM

2013-10-16 10:20 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by acumenjay Neil, Having read that a few times, I know people will make the medium days a tempo run. Start with one tempo on a medium day and see how your feeling. I'd keep the long run easy and to purpose...unless you have a race and need to get some race pace miles in or something. I know there are a ton of threads on that plan though so not sure what is gospel vs frankensteining the plan. My 3 cents
I agree. Keep the long runs easy for now, same for the short runs. Slowly build up some speed on the medium runs. Slowly extend the time you spend either at threshold or tempo. Do it once a week for now Start at 15' tempo or 10' threshold and slowly build up but with a good warm up and some cool down. Eventually do some intervals in your medium run, but that is a ways off. Medium runs are a good place to do this work.

I agree with this, but wondering about the point to start it off. Arend mentioned coming off injury, but I can't remember much about it. Has your weekly mileage leveled off? Are you putting in the time that you can? Do that first, spend at least a few weeks there, hitting the mileage every week. And then consider adding in effort. I would suggest some strides a few times before the tempo, probably a couple weeks of them. Then for the first time or two run more M to HM pace (as best you can tell) instead of all the way up at threshold.

2013-10-16 10:41 AM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by acumenjay Neil, Having read that a few times, I know people will make the medium days a tempo run. Start with one tempo on a medium day and see how your feeling. I'd keep the long run easy and to purpose...unless you have a race and need to get some race pace miles in or something. I know there are a ton of threads on that plan though so not sure what is gospel vs frankensteining the plan. My 3 cents
I agree. Keep the long runs easy for now, same for the short runs. Slowly build up some speed on the medium runs. Slowly extend the time you spend either at threshold or tempo. Do it once a week for now Start at 15' tempo or 10' threshold and slowly build up but with a good warm up and some cool down. Eventually do some intervals in your medium run, but that is a ways off. Medium runs are a good place to do this work.

I agree with this, but wondering about the point to start it off. Arend mentioned coming off injury, but I can't remember much about it. Has your weekly mileage leveled off? Are you putting in the time that you can? Do that first, spend at least a few weeks there, hitting the mileage every week. And then consider adding in effort. I would suggest some strides a few times before the tempo, probably a couple weeks of them. Then for the first time or two run more M to HM pace (as best you can tell) instead of all the way up at threshold.

Good thoughts all - I will aim to start this off easier than I would have in the past.  The injury is much earlier in the year, and I've been healthy for a while, but my weekly mileage only averaged around 20 miles/week from March-August, with different highs and lows along the way.  This week I should hit about 34 miles, and have been slowly building since the beginning of September keeping to the idea of no more than 10%/week total increase.  By early/mid November I'm hoping to be up around 40 miles/week.

2013-10-16 11:21 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by acumenjay Rusty, nice work. I'm still trying to build my running back up to the point where I can absorb consistent quality workouts but am hoping for a track session tomorrow after an easier couple days. Since we are all talking power, I'm sure some of you have already seen it but nice little thread on ST with Kona AG power data. It is nice to see what FOP AGers are doing besides just the FOP pros. Pretty crazy how 'easy' of a day it looked to be in comparison to other. A lot of sub 5 rides with efforts that aren't all that high. Obviously solid work and some had great runs but taking the the bike data in isolation it looks to have been a really fast course. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4810867;sb=post_latest_...

We were looking at Sam Gyde's profile before, but one of the guys is claiming 327 NP for 4:32 (Sam was 288 NP). His linked file is set to private, so can't see it. Sound like it's Josh Beck (Lake Placid and others) from Kyle Yost's posting.

Edited by brigby1 2013-10-16 11:31 AM
2013-10-16 12:30 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by acumenjay Rusty, nice work. I'm still trying to build my running back up to the point where I can absorb consistent quality workouts but am hoping for a track session tomorrow after an easier couple days. Since we are all talking power, I'm sure some of you have already seen it but nice little thread on ST with Kona AG power data. It is nice to see what FOP AGers are doing besides just the FOP pros. Pretty crazy how 'easy' of a day it looked to be in comparison to other. A lot of sub 5 rides with efforts that aren't all that high. Obviously solid work and some had great runs but taking the the bike data in isolation it looks to have been a really fast course. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4810867;sb=post_latest_...

We were looking at Sam Gyde's profile before, but one of the guys is claiming 327 NP for 4:32 (Sam was 288 NP). His linked file is set to private, so can't see it. Sound like it's Josh Beck (Lake Placid and others) from Kyle Yost's posting.

Josh Beck and Sami Inkinen were the only ones to ride 4:32 so the odds are good.  327 NP seems like a lot for that time?  Unless he's an aero brick or had a lower AP / huge VI that skewed the NP to speed?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.