of 220

2009-12-17 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2565416

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: RE: Powertap confusion
That actually was pretty clear.

So what I got out of it is that if I buy one of these fancy new toys and tell you about it you will will give me some sort of homework assignment where I give you back some numbers and stuff and then you analyze them and tell me what to do.

Right?

If that's all there is to it I'm putting it on my wish list for some sort of present getting holiday in 2010.  

evondo - 2009-12-17 4:45 PM You bring up a good point, a PowerTap in and of itself will not help you if you don't know how to train with it.  My broad advice is there are many books and coaches that can help you with this. For my athletes that train with power they know how to race with power and train at the level I tell them... Some know the method behind the numbers but not all, it's not their job to it's mine

The most important data with the power meter is the power. HR has its benefits in certain situations, especially racing, but rarely for training although there are some tests that can be done to measure fitness with power & HR drift.

For racing, (so yes I race with it as well) it allows you to accurately pace yourself for longer bikes and regardless of the course, heat, humidity, headwind, tailwind, etc you will have your optimal bike split.  I won't use it for pacing in sprints but Olympic and up it makes sure that you're not pushing to hard in the beginning of the bike. Especially the longer HIM/IM races your RPE will feel very low in the beginning and you won't know you've over exerted until it's to late. I don't even set race goals based on mph anymore because it's pointless all I can control is the power I put to the pedals. My mph is determined by the course and weather on that day.

The other time a Powertap shines over HR/GPS is intervals which are a necessity to get big gains in biking after the intial base.  During shorter interval durations (3-8') your HR does not respond to the stress quick enough to give you an acurate indication of effort not to mention HR changes on a day-to-day basis due to weather, sleep, nutrition, etc...

For me personally it taught me to learn how to suffer on the bike, as bad as that sounds it was what allowed me to push above my comfort zone. During intervals pre-powertap I was slacking near the middle and never even knew it because RPE lies and since my HR was already elevated HR would remain stable giving me the sense I was working hard.

Once you establish your FTP you can create a power curve that says for a given interval duration you should push X. So when you goto train mph, HR, wind, heat, course doesn't matter all that matters is you push X for Y duration.

Clear as mud?

gavisk - 2009-12-17 12:37 PM

I have a question for you Powertap aficionados:  I’ve been doing some searches along the lines of “how to use Powertap”, and what I keep getting is a laundry list of the data it gives you.  I’m not having much luck finding out how people are are actually using the data.  Could someone give me a quick rundown of the main things you pay the most attention to?  Are you looking simply at power output over time?  Power x HR?  Average power over distance?  Those things almost seem to provide information overload.  Is the data they provide really that much more useful than, say, what you get from a GPS/HR monitor and cycle computer?

2009-12-17 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2565415

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!
I agree with you Kim.  It's just rarely in the 30s here.     New Jersey on the other hand I'm sure is a whole different ballgame.

kcarroll - 2009-12-17 3:45 PM Rain gear may be for wimps in Houston, but when the temps are in the 30's, it's a must.  I have a set of Nike rain gear that is pretty breathable.  I wear it over CWX tights and a heavy UnderArmor top.  The most important piece of clothing for me in any situation are the socks.  I'm a huge Sock Guy/Smart wool fan, but that is mostly because I love the designs.  I have some very cool Bad Kitty socks that are reserved for days I really need them. 

Betsy0706 - 2009-12-17 4:11 PM Rain gear is for wimps!  I wore my normal - running shorts, UA long sleeve shirt, hat and gloves.  Gloves were useless by the end of the run....actually everything was b/c I was soaked!  I do have a jacket I bought after the Houston marathon but I am afraid I would have been way too hot in that.

Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 1:39 PM For the rainy day runners...  If it is raining before you actually head out the door or you KNOW it is gonna rain on you (when the weather is cooler), do you wear rain gear? Rain jackets, maybe gortex gear, or something of the like?

In the summer, I don't mind getting wet... you add the cold/cooler temps into the mix and I become one pi$$ed off mama-jama!  Dry and cool/cold I will run my booty off.

If it is the gore-tex/rain gear, does it breath, is it comfortable, etc?
2009-12-17 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2565498

User image

Master
Houston
Haha you got it. Instead of worrying about RPE/HR you look at your powertap and pedal as hard/easy as you need to so the magic number shows up on the screen. If you want to learn what that magic number is, it's not rocket science but will require some more homework

Nicole83 - 2009-12-17 4:19 PM That actually was pretty clear.

So what I got out of it is that if I buy one of these fancy new toys and tell you about it you will will give me some sort of homework assignment where I give you back some numbers and stuff and then you analyze them and tell me what to do.

Right?

If that's all there is to it I'm putting it on my wish list for some sort of present getting holiday in 2010.  

evondo - 2009-12-17 4:45 PM You bring up a good point, a PowerTap in and of itself will not help you if you don't know how to train with it.  My broad advice is there are many books and coaches that can help you with this. For my athletes that train with power they know how to race with power and train at the level I tell them... Some know the method behind the numbers but not all, it's not their job to it's mine

The most important data with the power meter is the power. HR has its benefits in certain situations, especially racing, but rarely for training although there are some tests that can be done to measure fitness with power & HR drift.

For racing, (so yes I race with it as well) it allows you to accurately pace yourself for longer bikes and regardless of the course, heat, humidity, headwind, tailwind, etc you will have your optimal bike split.  I won't use it for pacing in sprints but Olympic and up it makes sure that you're not pushing to hard in the beginning of the bike. Especially the longer HIM/IM races your RPE will feel very low in the beginning and you won't know you've over exerted until it's to late. I don't even set race goals based on mph anymore because it's pointless all I can control is the power I put to the pedals. My mph is determined by the course and weather on that day.

The other time a Powertap shines over HR/GPS is intervals which are a necessity to get big gains in biking after the intial base.  During shorter interval durations (3-8') your HR does not respond to the stress quick enough to give you an acurate indication of effort not to mention HR changes on a day-to-day basis due to weather, sleep, nutrition, etc...

For me personally it taught me to learn how to suffer on the bike, as bad as that sounds it was what allowed me to push above my comfort zone. During intervals pre-powertap I was slacking near the middle and never even knew it because RPE lies and since my HR was already elevated HR would remain stable giving me the sense I was working hard.

Once you establish your FTP you can create a power curve that says for a given interval duration you should push X. So when you goto train mph, HR, wind, heat, course doesn't matter all that matters is you push X for Y duration.

Clear as mud?

I have a question for you Powertap aficionados:  I’ve been doing some searches along the lines of “how to use Powertap”, and what I keep getting is a laundry list of the data it gives you.  I’m not having much luck finding out how people are are actually using the data.  Could someone give me a quick rundown of the main things you pay the most attention to?  Are you looking simply at power output over time?  Power x HR?  Average power over distance?  Those things almost seem to provide information overload.  Is the data they provide really that much more useful than, say, what you get from a GPS/HR monitor and cycle computer?

2009-12-17 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2565481

User image

Master
Houston
Yikes that doesn't sound fun at all! You'll be laughing at us during the summers of 95F+ everyday though. Have to pick your poison I guess, at least you have your man spanx

loeber - 2009-12-17 4:09 PM You ALL suck... Tongue out
I'll be lucky to see any liquid preciptiation before April. Runnig outside for me this time of year includes snowshoes and a parka. even when it does rain I am lucky to see it in the mid teens (50-65f). Canada baaahhhh!!!

Spanx---- I got so much loose skin ( think Beluga whale during the swim) I wear my man spanx daily.

2009-12-17 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2565416

User image

Veteran
evondo - 2009-12-17 3:45 PMYou bring up a good point, a PowerTap in and of itself will not help you if you don't know how to train with it.  My broad advice is there are many books and coaches that can help you with this. For my athletes that train with power they know how to race with power and train at the level I tell them... Some know the method behind the numbers but not all, it's not their job to it's mine

Clear as mud?

That is really clear. Thank you. My next question is: how do I convince my wife that I need it?

2009-12-17 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2565605

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
gavisk - 2009-12-17 3:44 PM
evondo - 2009-12-17 3:45 PMYou bring up a good point, a PowerTap in and of itself will not help you if you don't know how to train with it.  My broad advice is there are many books and coaches that can help you with this. For my athletes that train with power they know how to race with power and train at the level I tell them... Some know the method behind the numbers but not all, it's not their job to it's mine

Clear as mud?

That is really clear. Thank you. My next question is: how do I convince my wife that I need it?

All the cool kids have one

2009-12-17 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran

If you find an answer to this let me know...I already spent "a whole $800 dollars on a bike"!!!
2009-12-17 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2565293

User image

Champion
marietta
but then you get married.  and then 9 months later.... the trainer becomes your friend.

evondo - 2009-12-17 2:53 PM That's pretty sweet deal! I'm out though, I like to avoid the trainer at all costs and thankfully down here I can for the most part

trying1 - 2009-12-17 2:44 PM I'm totally psyched, I might be buying a new/used computrainer for $650.  My friend's friend bought them for his company and he unfortunately got fired for it but is now selling them.  I'm told they've only been used 4-5 times.  I'll know for sure by Sunday.  If I do get it does anyone want to buy a slightly used cycleops fluid 2 trainer?

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-17 7:05 PM
2009-12-17 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Payson, AZ
Ugh, LTHR tests suck.  Especially when you know you know you didn't go hard enough last time so you go extra hard the second time.
2009-12-17 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Houston
"<Insert gushy nickname here>, this will help me reach my full biking potential, it will improve my fitness, not my bike and it will be my last bike purchase until I reach X mph"

Honestly after I bought my bike/powertap I wouldn't allow myself to upgrade wheels until I reached 24mph in a race. It wasn't until earlier this year that I got a front race wheel and a $90 disc cover for the back training wheel.

gavisk - 2009-12-17 5:44 PM

2009-12-17 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2565718

User image

Master
Houston
LOL, that day hasn't come yet!

fattyfatfat - 2009-12-17 7:04 PM but then you get married.  and then 9 months later.... the trainer becomes your friend.

evondo - 2009-12-17 2:53 PM That's pretty sweet deal! I'm out though, I like to avoid the trainer at all costs and thankfully down here I can for the most part

trying1 - 2009-12-17 2:44 PM I'm totally psyched, I might be buying a new/used computrainer for $650.  My friend's friend bought them for his company and he unfortunately got fired for it but is now selling them.  I'm told they've only been used 4-5 times.  I'll know for sure by Sunday.  If I do get it does anyone want to buy a slightly used cycleops fluid 2 trainer?

2009-12-17 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2565717

User image

Master
Houston
We just got my step-dad a tribike and they were thinking a few hundred dollars at first. Little did they know

kjivie - 2009-12-17 7:04 PM

If you find an answer to this let me know...I already spent "a whole $800 dollars on a bike"!!!
2009-12-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2565762

User image

Expert
evondo - 2009-12-17 7:28 PM We just got my step-dad a tribike and they were thinking a few hundred dollars at first. Little did they know

kjivie - 2009-12-17 7:04 PM

Tri bike? What's that? I'm all about the roadie with clip ons.
2009-12-17 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2565524

Veteran
back of the pack
Yeah i'm pretty much a Clyde4life. Man spanx aren't sexy, but neither are my moobs..
evondo - 2009-12-17 3:32 PMYikes that doesn't sound fun at all! You'll be laughing at us during the summers of 95F+ everyday though. Have to pick your poison I guess, at least you have your man spanx

loeber - 2009-12-17 4:09 PM You ALL suck... Tongue out
I'll be lucky to see any liquid preciptiation before April. Runnig outside for me this time of year includes snowshoes and a parka. even when it does rain I am lucky to see it in the mid teens (50-65f). Canada baaahhhh!!!

Spanx---- I got so much loose skin ( think Beluga whale during the swim) I wear my man spanx daily.

2009-12-17 8:28 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
OMG you guys are wearing me out just trying to keep up with all the posts.  I'm having my own little pity party at the moment as I'm overloaded at work, and we're in the process of getting our house ready to sell = little motivation to workout.  I need to kick myself in the and get moving.

General Power question - once you establish your ftp how do you actually build a cycling plan around improvement?  Buy a book?
2009-12-17 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2565758

User image

Veteran
evondo - 2009-12-17 7:26 PM ", this will help me reach my full biking potential, it will improve my fitness, not my bike and it will be my last bike purchase until I reach X mph"

Honestly after I bought my bike/powertap I wouldn't allow myself to upgrade wheels until I reached 24mph in a race. It wasn't until earlier this year that I got a front race wheel and a $90 disc cover for the back training wheel.

gavisk - 2009-12-17 5:44 PM

I think you just answered my next question, which was going to be:  if you race with it, do you use the same wheels for training and racing?  Or do you have more than one Powertap?

As you mention having a disc cover, I'm going to assume that you have one Powertap wheel that you use for both racing and training.  But another question arises: do you train on your racing bike, or do you have a training bike too, and switch wheels between bikes for races?  This is something I've wondered a lot about.  I've managed to convince my sweet, sweet wife to let me drop some cash for a TT bike this spring, and I'm sure I'll want to train on it a fair amount, but I really like riding my road bike too.  Assuming I could do the necessary sweet-talking to get a Powertap wheel, would I want to switch it between bikes?  Is it easy to make the shifting work properly for either? Would I then just buy a second console(terminology?) for the second bike?

2009-12-18 5:19 AM
in reply to: #2565073

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 1:39 PM For the rainy day runners...  If it is raining before you actually head out the door or you KNOW it is gonna rain on you (when the weather is cooler), do you wear rain gear? Rain jackets, maybe gortex gear, or something of the like?

In the summer, I don't mind getting wet... you add the cold/cooler temps into the mix and I become one pi$$ed off mama-jama!  Dry and cool/cold I will run my booty off.

If it is the gore-tex/rain gear, does it breath, is it comfortable, etc?

I just ran in Under Armor / tights / running shorts.  Sucks at first but it was fine after the first couple of miles.  I like the steam coming off me when I return.  Makes me feel faster.

My nose was running most of the day yesterday.  I am not sure I advise this approach. 
2009-12-18 5:23 AM
in reply to: #2565277

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
KeriKadi - 2009-12-17 2:48 PM

DUDE!!!  I know Ken er, I mean SANTA has been looking for a Cycleops Fluid Trainer for a sweet girl who has been VERY good this year maybe you could check to see if SANTA has finished his shopping Laughing

OR We could all take turns paying admission to use your CT.

Santa just needs to do wrapping at this point - no more tri crap for you!
2009-12-18 7:20 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Evondo, do you use any equipment when you train for swimming like kick boards, fins, etc?  I have in the past used kick boards but find that I know have an ok kick so I haven't really gone back to it and haven't really used anything else.  I have a feeling all that is going to change once I join the Masters team (if I keep announcing I am going to do I'll have to).

How does everyone handle doing drills in a very busy pool?  There are times my pool is not so busy but as of late it has been crazy and not everyone there really has a handle on how to swim with so many people.  It kind of makes drills a bit hard.  I am going to try something new today and go at lunch so hopefully that will be less crowded.   

2009-12-18 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2566097

User image

Extreme Veteran
I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-18 6:23 AM

DUDE!!!  I know Ken er, I mean SANTA has been looking for a Cycleops Fluid Trainer for a sweet girl who has been VERY good this year maybe you could check to see if SANTA has finished his shopping Laughing

But this hardly used and looks brand new tri crap can be for the both of you! Don't you want to see an extra special big smile on your wife's face? (Keri let me know if this works!)
2009-12-18 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2566097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-18 5:23 AM

OK I changed my mind - more tri crap for you if you add this to my list.

http://www.trisports.com/zipp-speed-shop-rear-powertap-wheels1.html

Besides, Eric said so!

Of course a $2400 wheel on a $800 bike will look a bit odd, but after training for about a year I will be so fast you won't be able to see the bike.

2009-12-18 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2566204

User image

Pro
Houston
trying1 - 2009-12-18 7:30 AM
I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-18 6:23 AM

But this hardly used and looks brand new tri crap can be for the both of you! Don't you want to see an extra special big smile on your wife's face? (Keri let me know if this works!)

LOL - I'll let you know Laughing

Here's a question for the group - The good news is it looks like it's going to be sunny for the next 3 days Smile and not too cold.  I will likely make it out tomorrow for my long run.  So far this week I only ran Wednesday.  What shall I do today?  My resources are limited - the girls to go the YMCA PE for 2 hours M, W, F so I have 2 hours but biking isn't an option.  There is a ballet tone class I really enjoy which works on flexibility and strength.  But I have a free 45 minutes or so before the class starts.  Last week I did 2 miles and then the class and I did my long run Saturday.  Thoughts? 
2009-12-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2566231

User image

Pro
Houston
I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-18 7:45 AM
I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-18 5:23 AM

OK I changed my mind - more tri crap for you if you add this to my list.

http://www.trisports.com/zipp-speed-shop-rear-powertap-wheels1.html

Besides, Eric said so!

Of course a $2400 wheel on a $800 bike will look a bit odd, but after training for about a year I will be so fast you won't be able to see the bike.

Ouch!  I think I just spit coffee out my nose!  It is so wonderful after 9 years of marriage and 5 kids you still have a great sense of humor.
When you are fast like Eric in all THREE disciplines then we'll talk.

Oh by the way - Ken told me if I won an Oly this year he'd get me a TRI bike!  I have 2 Olys planned, wish me luck, I'm going to need it!
2009-12-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2565834

User image

Master
Houston
Sounds like a stressful time for you... if you're able to get in any sort of workout even if it's a 20-30min run it might help as a stress relief at least. It always does for me when I'm fed up with people at work

The cycling plan with a powertap will be the same as without a powertap but instead of RPE or HR zones you give yourself power numbers to follow. The best book I've found on power training is this one. It gives examples of workouts in terms of FTP percentage which should give you a good starting point.

GoFaster - 2009-12-17 8:28 PM OMG you guys are wearing me out just trying to keep up with all the posts.  I'm having my own little pity party at the moment as I'm overloaded at work, and we're in the process of getting our house ready to sell = little motivation to workout.  I need to kick myself in the and get moving.

General Power question - once you establish your ftp how do you actually build a cycling plan around improvement?  Buy a book?
2009-12-18 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2565997

User image

Master
Houston
I have just one powertap and one bike (aluminum Cervelo P2SL) so I train/race on the same rear wheel. I was considering a race only bike at the beginning of the season and talked myself out of it cause well I'm cheap, relatively speaking

If you wanted to swap a powertap between 2 bikes it would be extremely simple, especially if you plan to use the same cassette on both bikes. With everything wireless now you'd need a computer mount on each bike and just take the computer & back wheel off one bike and put it on the other and you're done.

gavisk - 2009-12-17 10:26 PM
I think you just answered my next question, which was going to be:  if you race with it, do you use the same wheels for training and racing?  Or do you have more than one Powertap?

As you mention having a disc cover, I'm going to assume that you have one Powertap wheel that you use for both racing and training.  But another question arises: do you train on your racing bike, or do you have a training bike too, and switch wheels between bikes for races?  This is something I've wondered a lot about.  I've managed to convince my sweet, sweet wife to let me drop some cash for a TT bike this spring, and I'm sure I'll want to train on it a fair amount, but I really like riding my road bike too.  Assuming I could do the necessary sweet-talking to get a Powertap wheel, would I want to switch it between bikes?  Is it easy to make the shifting work properly for either? Would I then just buy a second console(terminology?) for the second bike?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220