General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2010-08-25 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3063706

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
lmscozz - 2010-08-25 1:35 PM

I've already had the dream, just last night, that the swim was starting and I didn't have my cap or my goggles. I was desperately searching for someone who had spares to borrow and a generous soul helped me. I certainly hope I'm not in for months and months of these type of dreams!

Don't worry, you are not in for 10 months of swim dreams.  Eventually you wll start having nightmares about the bike and run as well.

2010-08-25 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3063943

User image

Master
Vista, CA

T in Liberty Lake - 2010-08-25 2:05 PM
lmscozz - 2010-08-25 1:35 PM

I've already had the dream, just last night, that the swim was starting and I didn't have my cap or my goggles. I was desperately searching for someone who had spares to borrow and a generous soul helped me. I certainly hope I'm not in for months and months of these type of dreams!

Don't worry, you are not in for 10 months of swim dreams.  Eventually you wll start having nightmares about the bike and run as well.

Oh great!

2010-08-26 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Housing:

We had good luck with this site: http://cdaapp.cdagetaway.com/properties/ironman

Found a 5 BR about 10 mins from downtown in Hayden, but right on the bike course so our guests can just walk outside and cheer us on as we ride by.

The ones downtown were going to be a 10 min+ walk so we figured it was about a wash.

Tawnya who runs the site was very nice.

(I will say the amount everyone jacks up the prices for this race is crazy)
2010-08-26 2:30 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Woah...I hit the hills today on the new tri-bike (wouldn't have mattered new or old, except probably "easier" on the new) for just a bit, and let's just say I have A LOT of work ahead of me...oh mama, what did I get myself into!
2010-08-26 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3065765

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TexasMPGal - 2010-08-26 12:30 PM Woah...I hit the hills today on the new tri-bike (wouldn't have mattered new or old, except probably "easier" on the new) for just a bit, and let's just say I have A LOT of work ahead of me...oh mama, what did I get myself into!

Welcome to Southern California!   No  problem finding a hill to climb. Nice, a new tri-bike!

2010-08-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3063015

Champion
No excuses!
tribean - 2010-08-25 11:27 AM
JoshKaptur - 2010-08-25 4:43 AM
JessicaHintz - 2010-08-25 12:17 AM Not sure if anybody watched it but 2010 Ironman Coeur d'Alene was on Universal Sports tonight. Its something else reliving the best day of my triathlon life 2 months later. Coeur d'Alene 2011 is going to be such a treat!

To the first timers, soak up each and every detail of your experience. Embrace the tough days of training and know that when you are running down Sherman Ave with what seems like wings on your feet, it will be more worth it than you could ever imagine.

On my DVR Universal Sports has it billed as Ironman St. George... don't let that fool you when searching for the show... they are showing CdA mostly right now.

I have to find this Universal Sports channel.  I always miss the Tri shows.

YellYellYell   Why Directv Why???

I love Directv for all the sports I get but that is my only complaint. No Universal Sports....yet Innocent

2010-08-26 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
What to do? I am trying to figure out how much money to ask the insurance company for over my recent accident. (Hit by a car while riding my bike - driver totally at fault). Anyway my bike was 7 years old but I loved it and it was a nice bike - should I expect to have it replaced by a brand new one? Also need a helmet & sunglasses. My garmin got beat up but is still functionable so I don't know whether to have them replace it too. The other thing is I had signed up for a half-iron just the day before the accident, it's only 3 weeks out so no refund. Thinking about having them reimburse me for that too. If, by some miracle I get a new bike by then I may attempt the aqua-bike at the race instead of the 1/2 Iron and not "race" it. I think I should still be reimbursed for the race whether I do it or not. Of course all the health stuff is covered by PIP which is seprate from property I guess. Anyway I don't know if I should basically stick it to the insurance company or not. If the driver was paying out of pocket I would expect a new bike, etc. (consequenses). I know accidents happen but feel like I should get something out of all this. Entitlement? I will be going to physical therapy 2x week for a month at least and massage therapy the same. Plus I hurt and my bruised legs look like hell. Long, rambling post I know. Just wondering what others would do.
2010-08-26 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3063706

User image

Bothell, Washington
lmscozz - 2010-08-25 12:35 PM

JessicaHintz - 2010-08-24 9:17 PM Not sure if anybody watched it but 2010 Ironman Coeur d'Alene was on Universal Sports tonight. Its something else reliving the best day of my triathlon life 2 months later. Coeur d'Alene 2011 is going to be such a treat!

To the first timers, soak up each and every detail of your experience. Embrace the tough days of training and know that when you are running down Sherman Ave with what seems like wings on your feet, it will be more worth it than you could ever imagine.

Thanks for the reminder of "soaking it all in." I've already had the dream, just last night, that the swim was starting and I didn't have my cap or my goggles. I was desperately searching for someone who had spares to borrow and a generous soul helped me. I certainly hope I'm not in for months and months of these type of dreams!

I had one and only one panic dream leading up to Coeur d'Alene last year and it was about my goggles as well. I think because the swim start is whats on most peoples minds when it comes to the parts of uncertainty. 
2010-08-26 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3062459

User image

Bothell, Washington
JoshKaptur - 2010-08-25 3:43 AM
JessicaHintz - 2010-08-25 12:17 AM Not sure if anybody watched it but 2010 Ironman Coeur d'Alene was on Universal Sports tonight. Its something else reliving the best day of my triathlon life 2 months later. Coeur d'Alene 2011 is going to be such a treat!

On my DVR Universal Sports has it billed as Ironman St. George... don't let that fool you when searching for the show... they are showing CdA mostly right now.

St George was on the night before. What a pretty but tough looking course!!! I will probably keep looking for Coeur d'Alene and watching it over and over when i get the chance. It is unreal to watch such a huge spectacular event and know that you were part of it. I have been watching those for years and it was finally mine!
2010-08-26 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3066549

User image

Master
Vista, CA

JessicaHintz - 2010-08-26 9:08 PM
JoshKaptur - 2010-08-25 3:43 AM

St George was on the night before. What a pretty but tough looking course!!! I will probably keep looking for Coeur d'Alene and watching it over and over when i get the chance. It is unreal to watch such a huge spectacular event and know that you were part of it. I have been watching those for years and it was finally mine!

I just set the DVR for Universal Sports 2-3 p.m. Sunday. IM CDA is listed to be shown then. St. George World Championships in Austria is listed earlier in the day at 9:30. Maybe I'll go back and DVR that one, too! I'm excited -- 10 months of this....OMG!! Woo-hoo!

Edited by lmscozz 2010-08-26 11:19 PM
2010-08-27 1:20 AM
in reply to: #3066522

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
achen2iron - 2010-08-26 8:36 PM

What to do? I am trying to figure out how much money to ask the insurance company for over my recent accident. (Hit by a car while riding my bike - driver totally at fault). Anyway my bike was 7 years old but I loved it and it was a nice bike - should I expect to have it replaced by a brand new one? Also need a helmet & sunglasses. My garmin got beat up but is still functionable so I don't know whether to have them replace it too. The other thing is I had signed up for a half-iron just the day before the accident, it's only 3 weeks out so no refund. Thinking about having them reimburse me for that too. If, by some miracle I get a new bike by then I may attempt the aqua-bike at the race instead of the 1/2 Iron and not "race" it. I think I should still be reimbursed for the race whether I do it or not. Of course all the health stuff is covered by PIP which is seprate from property I guess. Anyway I don't know if I should basically stick it to the insurance company or not. If the driver was paying out of pocket I would expect a new bike, etc. (consequenses). I know accidents happen but feel like I should get something out of all this. Entitlement? I will be going to physical therapy 2x week for a month at least and massage therapy the same. Plus I hurt and my bruised legs look like hell. Long, rambling post I know. Just wondering what others would do.

You should absolutely have them reimburse you for the race and everything you were wearing/using at the time. On the bike front - your bike shop can provide you with what it would cost to get a bike today that was similar make/model etc to the one you were riding. Make sure you include bike fit (if you'd had one), any work that had been done to your old bike (aero bars, cages, rack or what not).

My husband was seriously injured while on his bike 2 years ago after a car hit him and the insurance company had no qualms about replacing property. Pain and suffering is a whole other ball of wax.

Document everything and keep all your receipts - this is why we all have insurance, just in case this happens.

2010-08-27 4:02 AM
in reply to: #3066599

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

leopard8996 - 2010-08-27 2:20 AM
achen2iron - 2010-08-26 8:36 PM What to do? I am trying to figure out how much money to ask the insurance company for over my recent accident. (Hit by a car while riding my bike - driver totally at fault). Anyway my bike was 7 years old but I loved it and it was a nice bike - should I expect to have it replaced by a brand new one? Also need a helmet & sunglasses. My garmin got beat up but is still functionable so I don't know whether to have them replace it too. The other thing is I had signed up for a half-iron just the day before the accident, it's only 3 weeks out so no refund. Thinking about having them reimburse me for that too. If, by some miracle I get a new bike by then I may attempt the aqua-bike at the race instead of the 1/2 Iron and not "race" it. I think I should still be reimbursed for the race whether I do it or not. Of course all the health stuff is covered by PIP which is seprate from property I guess. Anyway I don't know if I should basically stick it to the insurance company or not. If the driver was paying out of pocket I would expect a new bike, etc. (consequenses). I know accidents happen but feel like I should get something out of all this. Entitlement? I will be going to physical therapy 2x week for a month at least and massage therapy the same. Plus I hurt and my bruised legs look like hell. Long, rambling post I know. Just wondering what others would do.
You should absolutely have them reimburse you for the race and everything you were wearing/using at the time. On the bike front - your bike shop can provide you with what it would cost to get a bike today that was similar make/model etc to the one you were riding. Make sure you include bike fit (if you'd had one), any work that had been done to your old bike (aero bars, cages, rack or what not). My husband was seriously injured while on his bike 2 years ago after a car hit him and the insurance company had no qualms about replacing property. Pain and suffering is a whole other ball of wax. Document everything and keep all your receipts - this is why we all have insurance, just in case this happens.

Agreed - in the case of a clearly at-fault driver and an injured cyclist who needs to go to physical therapy as part of recovery, the insurance company will think they are lucky to be dealing with someone like you who is trying to figure out what is fair since it was truly an accident.  Many people would have dollar signs in their eyes and looking for way more than replacement of what they actually lost.

That doesn't mean they won't give you crap - which is why you have to be firm and direct with them and basically the first second they start giving you any BS tell them something like this:

"look I was trying to be fair and just ask for fair market replacement value of the property that was destroyed by your client, but if that's going to be a problem then my lawyer will be handling the negotiations from now on because honestly I’m in too much pain to deal with this.”

I bet the tone of the conversation changes quickly.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2010-08-27 4:03 AM
2010-08-27 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA

Anyone know their race schedule for next year.  I still have 2 more half irons this year and a probable half mary or 2.  I will for sure be doing a half iron in early May bit can not decide about a mary/half mary in Feb ish.  I did a half mary in Feb last year and concentrating on run training in dec and jan helped.  However, I somewhat whished later in the year I had taken more of a "off" season by march when my first half iron season training started. 

2010-08-27 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
It's my personal opinion that a marathon in February is a BAD idea if you have an A-race Ironman in June.  The recovery costs will likely overlap with the start of an important build in your plan.

This past year I did something very tough... trained for a marathon in the off-season but then didn't run one.  It sucked at the time because I knew I could PR easily... but on Ironman day this summer I was very happy I hadn't because my training was that much better.  And I PRed my marathon by 15ish minutes at my Ironman (a hilly one at that).
2010-08-27 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3068294

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

Unless you love running and have ran a marathon (know how your body will react/feel afterwards) I would not run a marathon so close to IMCDA.  But if you feel you need to run one do it a 3 or 4 months prior. If you’re up for traveling there is a Marathon every month somewhere in the US all year round.

I signed up for the Denver Marathon (18 Oct 10) going against my original plan of having my first Marathon being at IMCDA . I thought It would help my training.  I’m not a runner and don’t care for it, and now I’m dreading the training.  I run because it’s the last event of the two events I like.  Wish I had signed up for a 10K swim or centurion bike ride  to end this year’s season.  Oh well, I have to go run now.   

HAPPY TRAINING!!!

2010-08-27 8:36 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
kstater39 - 2010-08-27 2:31 PM

Anyone know their race schedule for next year.  I still have 2 more half irons this year and a probable half mary or 2.  I will for sure be doing a half iron in early May bit can not decide about a mary/half mary in Feb ish.  I did a half mary in Feb last year and concentrating on run training in dec and jan helped.  However, I somewhat whished later in the year I had taken more of a "off" season by march when my first half iron season training started. 

I don't think a 1/2 marathon that close to CdA would be a problem as you can make it part of your training, but I wouldn't do a full.  I'm doing a full mid-Nov of this year, but it's a very flat and forgiving course and I know how I recover, and it's not going to impact my CdA training at all.  Otherwise, racing, I will be doing Oceanside 70.3 in April and what else, I'm not quite sure and most likely not much else. If I do anymore races in there, it'll probably be a 1/2 marathon in Jan/Feb timeframe. 

Some good winter concentration on running is good, but don't neglect the long bikes. You can be a great runner, but if you end up walking off the bike because you weren't strong enough for it, your run training was a little for naught (minus the endurance to finish a long hard walk).  So, if your goal is to run the marathon (which IS doable! lots of people do it!), make sure to find a way to stay on bike in those cold early months!

2010-08-27 9:18 PM

Champion
No excuses!
kstater39 - 2010-08-27 5:31 PM

I have been doing a ton of thinking and looking at this. I have to get through IMWI in two weeks (horriblely undertrained for it) then a little recovery and then get crackin to get back in shape.

Tentatively I think I am going to go against the grain and run a mid Feb. marathon to see what kind of shape I can get in by then. I also will be doing a 10k in March, a 10 mi in April, and a 25k mid May. I might do an oly late May and have thought about a HIM first week of June but am seriously reconsidering that one.
2010-08-27 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3068625

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Shermbelle - 2010-08-27 7:18 PM

I have been doing a ton of thinking and looking at this. I have to get through IMWI in two weeks (horriblely undertrained for it) then a little recovery and then get crackin to get back in shape.

Tentatively I think I am going to go against the grain and run a mid Feb. marathon to see what kind of shape I can get in by then. I also will be doing a 10k in March, a 10 mi in April, and a 25k mid May. I might do an oly late May and have thought about a HIM first week of June but am seriously reconsidering that one.

Thought I'd chime in on this, because I'm still contemplating my plans for next year leading up to IMCDA. I'm coming off of my 3rd year in triathlon, with virtually no breaks. I need to build in some more rest for me, although I'm not one that totally rests. In this 3 years, I've done 2 full marys and 2 HIM plus several 1/2 marathons and several sprints/olys. (CDA is my first full IM).  I'm running a marathon in early Nov. and trying to PR/BQ, so I'm putting a lot of effort into the training for it now while using swim and bike for recovery. I"m scheduled for an olympic Sept.18th. I may not do it though, still deciding.

I figure I'll take 3 weeks of recovery after the marathon (cross training and getting back to running slowly), I've scheduled a 1/2 marathon in late Jan., Oceanside 70.3 April 1st, and am contemplating an oly in mid to early March. The good thing is there's always plenty of runs and tris around here most any time of year. I agree with TexasMP about the bike fitness. That will be much of my main focus coming off the marathon and leading into the Ironman training.

I agree that a 1/2 marathon wouldn't take too much of a toll as long as you're already up to running at least 10-11 miles in your training.

2010-08-27 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3068625

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Oh, and GOOD LUCK for IMWI!! 

2010-08-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3068670

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
lmscozz - 2010-08-27 10:10 PM

Thought I'd chime in on this, because I'm still contemplating my plans for next year leading up to IMCDA. I'm coming off of my 3rd year in triathlon, with virtually no breaks. I need to build in some more rest for me, although I'm not one that totally rests. In this 3 years, I've done 2 full marys and 2 HIM plus several 1/2 marathons and several sprints/olys. (CDA is my first full IM).  I'm running a marathon in early Nov. and trying to PR/BQ, so I'm putting a lot of effort into the training for it now while using swim and bike for recovery. I"m scheduled for an olympic Sept.18th. I may not do it though, still deciding.

I figure I'll take 3 weeks of recovery after the marathon (cross training and getting back to running slowly), I've scheduled a 1/2 marathon in late Jan., Oceanside 70.3 April 1st, and am contemplating an oly in mid to early March. The good thing is there's always plenty of runs and tris around here most any time of year. I agree with TexasMP about the bike fitness. That will be much of my main focus coming off the marathon and leading into the Ironman training.

I agree that a 1/2 marathon wouldn't take too much of a toll as long as you're already up to running at least 10-11 miles in your training.

THAT IS SIMILAR TO WHERE i AM AT 2.5 YEARS WITH REALY NO STOPS.  2 half IRONs,  2 more this year, oly and sprints galore and a few half mary's.  New to athletics period prior to 2.5 years ago.  I think a 3-4 week easy doing it break is in my future in November.  I am leaning towards some century rides scattered through next year and some sprints to keep things fun.  My fitness test will be a pretty tough north georgia mountain half ironman in may.  For me I think I will skip the mary during training.  I am off today to a half ironman  on sunday.  My last day of life as a 30 something years old.  I would love a pr to start the 40's.  everyone have a great weekend
2010-08-28 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3068671

Champion
No excuses!
lmscozz - 2010-08-27 11:10 PM

Oh, and GOOD LUCK for IMWI!! 

Thanks, WI is just a get through it race.

We sold our house later winter, moved to a townhouse, built a house and moved in around May. Spent another month getting in and settled so I took a 9 month leave of absense from working out and racing til mid May, almost June. I got in a few 100 milers and enough running to rescratch the base I had so that IMWI won't kill me but it certainly will not be "a great day" out there

2010-08-28 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3068896

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good luck with your HIM, kstater!

2010-08-28 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

After my Marathon mid October I’m throttling back and just working out when I want to, plus it will be Ski time in the Rockies so cross training for me until MID January then I’ll throttle back up.   I’m in this to stay healthy as I’m sure why most of us do this crazy sport.  I don’t plan on getting competitive until I’m 70 or older.  That way all I have to do is show up and cross the finish line then I’m pretty much guaranteed a top 3 or 4.Smile

Races for 2011

April- 70.3 Ca

May- Need to find a sprint or Olympic distant race?

June- IMCDA Woo HooooLaughing

July- Bolder Peak

Aug- 70.3 Bolder

Edited by tribean 2010-08-28 4:04 PM
2010-08-28 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

I am actually planning on running a lot as part of my training this time around.  The run used to my strength, but it is now almost a weakness for me.  My plan is Marine Corps Marathon in October, a local 50k run in December, and the Shamrock Marathon in mid-March.   I don't think I will do a HIM as part of training, but I will ride the Mountains of Misery century with 10,000 feet of climbing in late May.  Some might say this schedule won't allow my body to be fully rested for CdA, but I've tried other training philosophies in the past and had disappointing results on race day.  This time I want to 'put as much hay in the barn' as possible.

2010-08-29 7:19 AM

User image

Tampa, FL
Turn your back on this thread and you will have several pages to catch up on. Anyone know the record for number of race thread pages? Whatever it is I think we can break it. I checked the 2010 IM CDA thread and we are about three months ahead.

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171