General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-11-07 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3859503

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread

snowball - 2011-11-07 11:36 AM Hello Everybody, guess its my first posting in this forum, after reading time to time one or the other topic. I am in for IM TX next year. After a few IM in Europe it will be now my first one in US. Looking forward for a great Race ! @ Elavation: does anybody know the total uphill elevation - i read somewhere that its 1400ft, but attached elvation shows 2700ft - which one is correct and what percentage are the steepest climbs - 10% or less ? http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88047320@ hotel: As i travel to Houston already 1 week before the race (coming from Austria), i was looking for a hotel with kitchenette, which turned out to be quite difficult to find. A few weeks ago i booked a room in the Days Inn in Shenandoah - does anybody know it ? greetings from Europe, Erwin

I don't know the answer to the elevation but I think you will find this to be a relatively flat course with some rolling hill sections.  The grades on the uphills aren't going to be near 10%.  If any are, it will be very short and will be after a nice descent so your momentum will carry you up most of the time.  The bigger concern will be possible heat and humidity, possible winds, and somewhat rough road conditions in certain spots.

2011-11-07 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3862587

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
hathecr - 2011-11-07 10:28 AM

snowball - 2011-11-07 11:36 AM Hello Everybody, guess its my first posting in this forum, after reading time to time one or the other topic. I am in for IM TX next year. After a few IM in Europe it will be now my first one in US. Looking forward for a great Race ! @ Elavation: does anybody know the total uphill elevation - i read somewhere that its 1400ft, but attached elvation shows 2700ft - which one is correct and what percentage are the steepest climbs - 10% or less ? http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88047320@ hotel: As i travel to Houston already 1 week before the race (coming from Austria), i was looking for a hotel with kitchenette, which turned out to be quite difficult to find. A few weeks ago i booked a room in the Days Inn in Shenandoah - does anybody know it ? greetings from Europe, Erwin

I don't know the answer to the elevation but I think you will find this to be a relatively flat course with some rolling hill sections.  The grades on the uphills aren't going to be near 10%.  If any are, it will be very short and will be after a nice descent so your momentum will carry you up most of the time. 

The bigger concern will be possible guaranteed heat and humidity, possible winds, and somewhat rough road conditions in certain spots.

There- fixed that for you.

2011-11-07 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3862608

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
TexasMPGal - 2011-11-07 12:36 PM
hathecr - 2011-11-07 10:28 AM

I don't know the answer to the elevation but I think you will find this to be a relatively flat course with some rolling hill sections.  The grades on the uphills aren't going to be near 10%.  If any are, it will be very short and will be after a nice descent so your momentum will carry you up most of the time. 

The bigger concern will be possible guaranteed heat and humidity, possible winds, and somewhat rough road conditions in certain spots.

There- fixed that for you.

I like to be optimistic.  Setting up your bike trainer and treadmill in a sauna will help with training much more than riding hills.

2011-11-08 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3743090

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

"Otherwise, running 16-18 miles during IM training is standard IM training stuff."

Sorry to jump in late on this, but I find this statement interesting. 

I just completed IMFL an ran a 4:06 marathon (a bit on the slow side due to blister issues).  My longest run in training for IMFL was 13.5 miles (a scheduled 1:50 run).  I think there is way too much emphasis on the long run and not enough emphasis on the cumulative run volume throughout the week (while my long run was 13.5 miles, I was running over 40 miles / week). 

Edited by kaburns1214 2011-11-08 9:42 AM
2011-11-09 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3893998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Old school way of thinking.
2011-11-11 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3517225

I have another question.  As mentioned earlier, I'm an experienced marathoner (several years of multiple marathons/year) and have done a 70.3.  A friend of mine wants me to run a marathon at a really slow (30min or more slower than race pace) pace on March 4.  If I go into this with the only goal to not get injured, will I be jeapordizing my training for IMTX?  It's 11 weeks out and I recover relatively fast from marathons.  For perspective, I ran a marathon PR a month ago and was able to ride hard for 65 miles 6 days later.  I think I was completely over the marathon about 3 weeks out and that was an all out race effort. 

I'm inclined to think that it won't hurt to go out there and run a really relaxed pace with some walk breaks, but since this is my first IM I want to get some opinions from this group.  My goal for IMTX is to enjoy myself and finish (not overly worried about time since it's my first)

Thanks in advance for the input!

2011-11-12 3:45 AM
in reply to: #3898920

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
12ozcurl - 2011-11-12 5:08 AM

I have another question.  As mentioned earlier, I'm an experienced marathoner (several years of multiple marathons/year) and have done a 70.3.  A friend of mine wants me to run a marathon at a really slow (30min or more slower than race pace) pace on March 4.  If I go into this with the only goal to not get injured, will I be jeapordizing my training for IMTX?  It's 11 weeks out and I recover relatively fast from marathons.  For perspective, I ran a marathon PR a month ago and was able to ride hard for 65 miles 6 days later.  I think I was completely over the marathon about 3 weeks out and that was an all out race effort. 

I'm inclined to think that it won't hurt to go out there and run a really relaxed pace with some walk breaks, but since this is my first IM I want to get some opinions from this group.  My goal for IMTX is to enjoy myself and finish (not overly worried about time since it's my first)

This may have been a coincidence but I ran a marathon with a buddy at his pace and ended up with tendonitis pain in my knees, shin pain, and IT band pain that lasted for close to 5 months.  I did get checked out and the PT and the Sports Doc both said that my body most likely wasn't used to the extra amount of foot falls for that period of time.  There was a lot more punishment on my legs at that pace and for a longer period of time than my body was used to.  The pain didn't stop me from training or racing but it was a "pain" in the  "A". 

Again, maybe a coincidence but maybe not, however,I would take the pain again for the fun I had with my buddy.  When ever he's ready to run it again I'll be right there with him.

2011-11-12 8:50 AM

Champion
No excuses!
12ozcurl - 2011-11-11 4:08 PM

I am sure many will disagree but I think you will be fine. If you have done enough marathons you know what it takes and how your body feels. It has a recovery cost but also a fitness boost in my opinion. Good luck, enjoy the journey.

2011-11-12 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
12ozcurl - 2011-11-11 3:08 PM

I would weigh out risk versus reward. What's more important?

You say you recover quickly and rode 65 miles 6 days later from your last mary... well 11 weeks out from IMTX you will start ramping up your volume. Which means you can't taper for a week or two for the marathon and you can' ttake a week off training to recover from the marathon. You haven't done IM training before, so while the mary is a "known", having to train for an IM before/after that mary is an "unknown". Again, risk, vs. reward.

If you were my client, I wouldn't let you do it... unless you HAD to do the marathon. Even then I'd put some "warnings" on allowing you to do it. But you aren't my client (luck you?! Ha!), so I'll just say do what you think is best. Only you know your body the best and it's your gamble.

2011-11-12 11:18 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

I am doing the same thing.  I think my body bounces back enough to get this done safely. My wife will not run the marathon without me and I sorta signed her up without her knowing.  This is my second year at IMTX and my focus will be on the bike and swim after the marathon.  She is a good 2-2.30 a minute slower than me so I will learn patience.

Good luck

Edited by TriPatrick 2011-11-12 11:23 AM
2011-11-12 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3899460

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
KSH - 2011-11-12 10:49 AM

I would weigh out risk versus reward. What's more important? You say you recover quickly and rode 65 miles 6 days later from your last mary... well 11 weeks out from IMTX you will start ramping up your volume. Which means you can't taper for a week or two for the marathon and you can' ttake a week off training to recover from the marathon. You haven't done IM training before, so while the mary is a "known", having to train for an IM before/after that mary is an "unknown". Again, risk, vs. reward. If you were my client, I wouldn't let you do it... unless you HAD to do the marathon. Even then I'd put some "warnings" on allowing you to do it. But you aren't my client (luck you?! Ha!), so I'll just say do what you think is best. Only you know your body the best and it's your gamble.

Karen and I agree on something for once. Cool

It kind of puts you in box that will booger up your IM training for at least three or four weeks (or potentially more) no matter what you do.  Your options as I see them are:

1) You push through the IM training with no taper for the marathon. That means you won't be rested for the run at all.  You'll feel it during the marathon and you'll certainly feel it in recovery.  I know you're running at a minute per mile slower pace but that's still a lot of running.  That's still 4:15 of running for you. 

2) You taper or mini-taper and kind of recover for/from the marathon.  That's a minimum of two or three weeks without a long bike ride (week before, race week and maybe the week after).

What kind of run training will you be doing prior to the marathon?  Training like a marathoner or training like a triathlete?  If you train like a marathoner, that's going to be an issue.  Hammering 20+ mile runs every week is going to kill you when you have to ride 100 miles on the bike two days later. While I don't 100% agree with the "concentrate on training your weaknesses and less on training your strengths" coach-speak that we hear, there is some truth to it.  Strengths are strengths and diminishing that in training is kind of stupid, IMO.  You come into this a very experienced runner with tons of base miles in your legs and feet.  Use that to your advantage and train smart.

You really have to factor in the downstream effect the marathon will have on the training in the weeks after the marathon.  You say you recover quickly but you've never had to recover while still training for a 140.6 mile race.  The effect is probably greater than you think.  I also read you're doing another marathon on January 15th.  I assume the two marathons we're talking about are Houston and The Woodlands.  You need to factor that January marathon into all of this as well.  Running two marathons and training for an IM in the four months prior to an Ironman is going to tax your body.

Ultimately, we aren't professional triathletes and runners and we do this because it's fun.  Do whatever you'll feel would be fun.  If running the marathon with your friend is what it's about then do it and don't look back.  Just remember that every decision has consequences.  Your IM training will suffer to some degree if you choose to run the marathon.  As Karen stated, it's a risk vs reward decision.

2011-11-13 7:58 PM

User image

Middle Georgia

re: completing a marathon during IM training weeks

I'd be concerned about the impact of on what should be key volume weeks due to the marathon taper/recovery, even if "short".   If you work back  of your goal IM, the higher volume weeks and key long training work outs may be the same weeks as your marathon taper & recovery.  To balance your weeks' workouts in light of the taper or effects of the marathon, I think you'll be short changing yourself on IM training volume.

There are some that even would argue no marathons in the off season due to the risk of injury and lack of positive impact on fitness (recent Triathlete magazine I think).

2011-11-14 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3900621

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
lakeview - 2011-11-13 7:58 PM

re: completing a marathon during IM training weeks

I'd be concerned about the impact of on what should be key volume weeks due to the marathon taper/recovery, even if "short".   If you work back  of your goal IM, the higher volume weeks and key long training work outs may be the same weeks as your marathon taper & recovery.  To balance your weeks' workouts in light of the taper or effects of the marathon, I think you'll be short changing yourself on IM training volume.

There are some that even would argue no marathons in the off season due to the risk of injury and lack of positive impact on fitness (recent Triathlete magazine I think).

Add the January 15th marathon (which I can assume will be an "A Race" effort) into the mix and he's already starting his IM training in a hole.

2011-11-14 8:58 AM

Thanks a ton for the thoughts on the marathon.  Getting advice from experience triathletes like yourselves is exactly why I asked the question.

Yes, the Jan 15 marathon will be at race pace and then I plan to do tri specific training starting immediately after that.  Right now I'm in marathon training mode with swimming and cycling in "maintain" mode on the side.  For those that asked, the Jan 15 race is Houston and the March 4 race is Little Rock (I am local to Houston though).  If I actually did Little Rock, I would not do any marathon specific training leading up to it and would run/walk the entire race to avoid taxing my body too much.  I'm about 90% leaning toward not doing Little Rock based on the input here.  If I do, I'm hard headed enough not to get caught up in racing once the gun goes off.

Thanks again and I wish all of you successful training over the next few months!

2011-11-15 7:46 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
For those who raced last year and/or are familiar with the area:  how diffict is it to get around? How bad is the parking etc?  Most of the host hotels are sold out.  I am thinking about a community fund slot for 2012.  If I have to drive about I want to stay somewhere nice not the holiday inn.
2011-11-15 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3903564

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Socks - 2011-11-16 9:46 AM For those who raced last year and/or are familiar with the area:  how diffict is it to get around? How bad is the parking etc?  Most of the host hotels are sold out.  I am thinking about a community fund slot for 2012.  If I have to drive about I want to stay somewhere nice not the holiday inn.

Ooooh, a BT celebrity joining the party?  Sweet.  From what has been said it is really easy to get around as there is a big mall at the center of things which provides ample parking for all.  I plan on nabbing a place that has a kitchen a few miles away and driving in whenever I want.  It looks like I'm going at this one alone so it'll be even easier....until the limp home

2011-11-15 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3903564

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Socks - 2011-11-15 5:46 PM For those who raced last year and/or are familiar with the area:  how diffict is it to get around? How bad is the parking etc?  Most of the host hotels are sold out.  I am thinking about a community fund slot for 2012.  If I have to drive about I want to stay somewhere nice not the holiday inn.

Some of the local hotels aren't opening up the slots for rooms until Jan 1st, or they really hate me cause everytime I call and ask, this is the answer I'm given--and yes, I've called recently. Soooo...but driving isn't hard. It's very close the I-45, there are lots of other place not too far from there (check out The Woodlands Resort if you want nice). Also, it is right by a very large mall = lots of parking. The only thing that seemed somewhat of a pain (but really isn't too horrible) is that the swim start is a tad bit (a mile maybe?) from transition, so you have to give yourself enough time to drop off transition stuff and walk to the swim start. Same for family (or they can just wait near transition and watch you come in through the canal. From a spectator position, to include driving all over during race day, I didn't find it hard to get around at all this past year. A nicety for spectators is that, once you get on the run, they can go camp out at a slew of different restaurants down near Market Street and just sit and cheer as you do your laps and then finish. 

2011-11-15 9:53 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like our little group is shaping up just fine.

2011-11-15 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3903666

Champion
No excuses!

KSH - 2011-11-15 10:53 PM Looks like our little group is shaping up just fine.

Currently up to 45 members with more joining I am sure as the training begins to kick in full gear!

2011-11-15 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Yep. Looks like we will have a great group come race day. I don't know about anyone else but I am really getting excited to start the training plan and get the show on the road!
2011-11-15 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3903577

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

I know it's still a while until race day, but I'm freaking excited!  Sure it may be a mix of excited to be going home (46 days and counting) and upcoming training and racing opportunities but still, I can't wait.

How's everyone doing?

2011-11-16 6:59 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Speaking of getting excited, I got my histogram for the first half of next year (culminating in IMTX).  After a pretty solid IMFL, I so excited to get to work for Texas.

(IMTX Weekly Hours_2.jpg)

(IMTX Histogram.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMTX Weekly Hours_2.jpg (95KB - 17 downloads)
IMTX Histogram.jpg (72KB - 18 downloads)
2011-11-16 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
OK I am in.  Pulled the trigger on an IM foundation slot.............geez o pete.
2011-11-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3904177

User image

Expert
Houston, TX

Socks - 2011-11-16 10:38 AM OK I am in.  Pulled the trigger on an IM foundation slot.............geez o pete.

Sweet! Our group is growing!

2011-11-16 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3904264

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
LukeTX04 - 2011-11-16 11:30 AM

Socks - 2011-11-16 10:38 AM OK I am in.  Pulled the trigger on an IM foundation slot.............geez o pete.

Sweet! Our group is growing!

Yes it is!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57