BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Regular
Subject: contest
230 min w/o.
one pound wt. loss

Excited see how much it helps to use a deeper catch in pool. Been doing balance drills which resulted in improvement of 2 strokes dropped off my 25 !
First time made any measurable progress in a while.

Been great this week to mix it up during pool w/o and do something different (balance drill)

Thanks for roster, helpful !

Linda

2014-01-04 1:08 PM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: contest

2 hrs 25 minutes for me today.  No movement on the scale….but no gain at least!

2014-01-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Gray Hair Challenge
I tried to go through and get all the "I'm In". Take your weight tomorrow and then start from there.

Post your weekly scores on Sunday Night.

Should look something like this.

"Lost 1 pound for 10 points, worked out 300 minutes for 10 points = 20 points total for the week"

The more detail you give saves me from having to do individual calculations for everyone. This is a big group so everyones help is grealty appreciated.

Please let me know if I missed anybody.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-01-04 2:21 PM

(Gray Hair 1-5-2014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Gray Hair 1-5-2014.jpg (127KB - 7 downloads)
2014-01-04 2:57 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-04 4:36 PM

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: RE: Gray Hair Challenge
Hi James- please add me to the challenge!
2014-01-04 8:16 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY

Take your weight tomorrow and then start from there. Post your weekly scores on Sunday Night. Should look something like this. "Lost 1 pound for 10 points, worked out 300 minutes for 10 points = 20 points total for the week" The more detail you give saves me from having to do individual calculations for everyone. This is a big group so everyones help is grealty appreciated. Please let me know if I missed anybody.

Hey James -

Stayin' warm up there?

So just for clarification - we start tracking tomorrow, and make our first progress report next Sunday, correct?  (Sorry, I am an old man  )

2014-01-04 8:40 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: The Catch and Pull

Originally posted by ceilidh

WOW, great article. I have read it, I will re-read it. I have to admit, I get overwhelmed reading your advise.

Thank you.

Swimming is very technical, at least if you want to be reasonably efficient and fast.  Yep, there is a LOT to doing freestyle correctly.  But don't let it overwhelm you.  My suggestion is to take it one 'piece' at a time.  You don't cram the whole Krispy Kream donut in all at one time - well, maybe if it's warm, you nibble away at it, one bite at a time (alright, bad analogy since donuts probably aren't on anyone's menu).  In the same way, worry about one 'piece' of the stroke at a time.  Maybe next time your in the pool, concentrate on perfect entry.  Be aware of all the other stuff, but don't worry about it - concentrate on getting the entry done right.  Next time you are in the pool, maybe you worry about proper body rotation, again, be aware of everything else, but only concentrate on the one thing.  By doing it that way, in a relatively short period of time, you will have concentrated exclusively on, and hopefully mastered or at least significantly improved, every aspect of the stroke.  You will find that, as you get better at the individual pieces, it will become easier to become proficient at the other pieces.  As your entry gets better, it will be easier to do the catch properly.  As your body rotation improves, your recovery and entry will become easier, etc.

2014-01-04 9:09 PM
in reply to: juneapple

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: The Catch and Pull
Stu,

Cool story about the coaches! And yes, there are still large cornfields on both sides of the Farmington River along the area know as "the flats". Alan Eaton and Leo Grouten have been farming that area for many years. I stop for corn and vegetables on the drive home from work almost daily in season.

I hear you loud and clear about looking forward to warmer weather to help push training. When I woke up to below zero temps, I wimped out of my long outdoor run and did 60 minutes of mindless torture on the treadmill. BORING! I then made another poor decision and caved in to pressure from my boys for "one last goose hunt" this afternoon. Stood outside in a steady wind and nearly froze my butt off waiting for the geese to fly. I'm still not completely thawed out.

James - Thanks for putting together the training/weight loss table. I'm looking forward to the motivation of a contest to help me stay in gear.

Dave
2014-01-04 9:21 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Originally posted by Dogpaddle

I have experienced at least two of the common errors that you list that stem from an improper entry 1) crossing over - resulting in first underwater movement to the side and 2) shallow catch - pressing down on the water first. I believe I have the second one fixed but I still struggle with the crossing over on one side. This is really great information and I really enjoy reading and hopefully implementing your instruction. Thanks!!

Hi Townsley,

Shallow entry and catch is one of the easier things to fix.  It isn't typically a result of some other flaw in technique.  Simply concentrate on getting your hand deeper on entry.  Look at the length of your forearm, that is approximately the depth you want.  You will find the 'golden depth' for you as time goes by.

Crossing over is a little bit harder.  That is typically a result of improper recovery, which could be the result of several other things.  From what you said, "I still struggle with the crossing over on one side," that tells me you have uneven body rotation.  I suspect your rotation is greater to the side you breath on and rotation is less to your non-breathing side.  I also suspect you are breathing on only one side?  Eventually, you want to learn bi-lateral breathing - breathing to both sides.  For the time being, concentrate on getting your body rotation equal to both sides.  The crossing over is caused by your arm swinging wide on the recovery instead of following a straight line.  Something to think about that will help.  During your recovery, you want a high elbow and drag your fingertips across the top of the water in a straight line from the recovery point all the way to entry.  I mean this literally, the next time your in the water, drag your fingers in a straight line across the surface of the water during the entire recovery.  First, that is nearly impossible to do without proper body rotation.  Second, by tracing a straight line from recovery to entry, your hand won't swing out to the side.

While we are talking about it, in my opinion, body rotation is the single most important thing in the freestyle stroke.  It is the foundation of freestyle.  If you get rotation right, everything else will begin to fall into place.  If body rotation is not correct, it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to do freestyle correctly.  I have an article about body roll on my website.

Hope that helps.

2014-01-05 9:06 AM

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by k9car363

>Hey James -

Stayin' warm up there?

So just for clarification - we start tracking tomorrow, and make our first progress report next Sunday, correct?  (Sorry, I am an old man  )

Yes Scott you are correct enjoy your day, eat that special something before we get started.

Weigh in tonight and start recording workouts tomorrow. Reports start next Sunday night.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-01-05 9:18 AM
2014-01-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: bluwatersoul

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by bluwatersoul

Hi James- please add me to the challenge!

Your in!

2014-01-05 10:05 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by Dogpaddle James - thank you so much for doing this. I'm really looking forward to this being a great motivator!

x2!!!  I think it will help keep me focused and stop some of the mindless eating I do.

2014-01-05 10:06 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Scott,

I have been trying to find the post for "reaching for the wall" without much luck.  I think that is my biggest weakness when I swim  I slow too much as I head toward the wall to turn.  One old coach said I was about 8 seconds faster per 50 with an open turn as opposed to the flip turn.  So today I plan on addressing that. Suggestions for the focus other than thinking/ reaching for it?  

As a bit of background…..it took me a long time to even flip turn cause I was afraid I would slam my head into the wall.  never have hit my head, but I have smacked my butt mid flip or the heels pretty hard on my push of…..

Edited by QueenZipp 2014-01-05 10:20 AM
2014-01-05 10:11 AM

Expert
Missouri

I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep up with you guys but I'll give it my best shot.  Looking forward to starting the contest.  My weight has gone up over the last couple of weeks (some from holidays, some from just not eating right) and I'm hoping it will also motivate me to complete my workouts.  Speaking of which - today looks like it's going to be a TM day.  It's snowing - supposed to get up to 10" - windy and really cold.  Temps are falling all day and tomorrow's high won't even get above 0*F with wind chills around -20*.  We haven't had this kind of cold here in almost 20 years.  Hopefully it won't last too long. 

Scott - even though I'm not swimming right now I'm enjoying reading your posts about technique.  I'm a very slow swimmer and I know a lot of it is just technique.  I never actually learned how to swim as a kid.  I took a couple of lessons last year which helped some, but I know I still need a lot of work on it.  I'm going to bookmark your website so I have a reference once I get back to swim training. 

Daves - my husband grew up in Connecticut, in Meriden.  Don't know how close that is to you guys.  Two of his sisters still live in CT - one still in Meriden and the other in Thomaston - and I have an aunt in Danbury.  We've been out there a couple of times - it's a really nice area. 

Strength training - I'm trying to set up some kind of ST workouts.  My plan right now is just generic - 20' one day, 30' another - but doesn't really give me any direction on what to do.  I can't just go to the gym (or the basement) and do something - I need specifics.  So I'm trying to set something up.  I know I need core work but aside from that I'm a little lost.  Can anyone give me some suggestions on what types of things I should be doing?  I have a couple of books that I've been reading through but they all say something different.  Thanks!

Janet

2014-01-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: lutzman

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN

Originally posted by lutzman
Originally posted by hoffsquared I'm sitting in a airport waiting for the next leg of my trip. No training for me until at least Sunday. I'm putting together my general training plan for the Columbia Triathlon (Olympic) in May. It is a big, very competitive race and I'd like to move up slot or two in my age group. The biggest change(s) I am making are joining a group ride on Saturdays that is on a hilly challenging 22 mile route and another group on Thursday morning for track workouts. I'm hoping this will boost my training efforts at least twice a week. So will you/someone be explaining this point thing? It could just to the trick to keeping me within good eating boundaries. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone.
Melanie--we'll get our weight control/fitness program contest rolling after the first of the year once we have the new forum group all set. It's pretty easy, you get points for any weight lost and minutes of exercise. Once you have your training plan together I would be happy to review it if you think that would be helpful. Also, I'm a big believer in track workouts to build run speed. Just BE CAREFUL. It is pretty easy to over do it and come out injured. Merry Christmas.

So I have developed my training plan for January and February.  The only real specifics are Scott's swim sessions.  My runs just say recovery, speed, and my 'hill loop'.  My bikes are commuter oriented during the week and my group ride on Saturday.  There is a gap in January when we are headed out of town.

I'd be interested in some suggestions for speed run sessions.  My Thursday morning Luna Chix track workouts will not start until April so I'm in need of some inspiration for my Thursday runs.  

Also, some ideas for my morning commute other than what I have.  My evening commutes I do not try to get a real training session in --- as I am always reflecting on the day or getting a workout in battling a stiff headwind (this happens on about 50% of my rides).

I've yet to build in step back weeks or rest days.

Thanks!

2014-01-05 2:13 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Regular
Subject: ready..set...go
OKAY James....NOOOWWWW we start the contest. My mistake.

Janet_ I like TRI POWER by Frediani for weight training ..(I had not done any in a while. Learning squats for first time.)

Meagan ..Love your profile pic...artsy !

Bilateral hip weakness issue.

I started my Chi Running. Ya speed comes easier..my lower legs felt better...was hard on my hips....
my Left hip is SO weak.....hard to do w/o's to help Left hip become as strong as the other side........ when I try to do extra rep's with weak side.....it is pretty sore and just really would rather not cooperate.
Its not like I am going to stop running to rest the weak side however!

I wonder if I should back off on my fav five mile fire road runs I do twice a week.

2014-01-05 4:14 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: ready..set...go
Linda - Have you been doing any hip exercises? I've had good success doing single and double leg bridges as a way to build strength in my hips.

Dave
2014-01-05 7:00 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Scott,

I have been trying to find the post for "reaching for the wall" without much luck.  I think that is my biggest weakness when I swim  I slow too much as I head toward the wall to turn.  One old coach said I was about 8 seconds faster per 50 with an open turn as opposed to the flip turn.  So today I plan on addressing that. Suggestions for the focus other than thinking/ reaching for it?  

As a bit of background…..it took me a long time to even flip turn cause I was afraid I would slam my head into the wall.  never have hit my head, but I have smacked my butt mid flip or the heels pretty hard on my push of…..

Judi,

I talk about reaching for the wall in the 'Body Roll' article on my website - http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique/28-body-roll.  Reaching for the wall" is a tip that helps establish body rotation and elongate the beginning of the stroke.

Please forgive me, I don't understand the nature of your question/comment as body rotation, slowing down as you come to the wall, and flip turns don't really have that much to do with each other.  Can you perhaps clarify just a bit?

You mentioned flip turns so I would like to give you a couple things to think about regarding flip turns. There are two ways you can turn and look like you have some sense of what you are doing - you can do a flip turn, or, just as respectably, you can do an open turn.  Obviously the point of either type of turn is to reverse direction at the wall as fast as possible.  Both turns, when executed properly, can be very quick, with the flip turn being marginally faster - something like  0.05 - 0.1 seconds or so.  Here is the first real point to consider, if you do the swim for a sprint triathlon in a 25 yard pool, that would be 30 laps - 29 turns - which works out to losing something like 1.45 - 2.90 seconds over the course of the swim using an open turn versus a flip turn.  Hardly worth worrying about in a swim that may take +/- 15 minutes for an average swimmer.  If your in open water, well . . . not to many walls in open water.  Both turns, when done correctly, expend about the same amount of energy.  However a flip turn that is done incorrectly will expend far more energy than a properly executed open turn (which has the added benefit of being easier to learn and perform properly).

There is however, one VERY big difference between the two turns.  With the open turn, you get an extra breath at the wall that you do not get with the flip turn.  Say you have two swimmers that are equal in all respects except one uses a flip turn and the other an open turn.  If they both take 20 strokes per lap and breath every fourth stroke, that is 5 breaths per lap - except the swimmer with the open turn gets an extra breath.  That is 20% more oxygen per lap!  That is a distinct advantage for an open turn, especially over longer distances.

This really is one of those things that falls under what I call, "Don't sweat the small stuff."  Yeah, doing a flip turn looks cool.  But at the end of the day, unless you are planning on competing in a freestyle event at a swim meet, it doesn't matter which turn you use.  Should you learn how to do a flip turn properly?  That is entirely a matter of personal preference, there are as many arguments for learning a flip turn as there are against learning a flip turn., but in the big picture, it really doesn't matter.

If you are intent on learning the flip turn, the 'T' at the end of the lane line is exactly 2 meters from the wall in a regulation pool.  You need to figure out where, in relation to the 'T' that you need to start your turn in order to "hit your turn" properly.  The quickest way to do that is get into the pool in an open lane (you have a lane to yourself).  Get out far enough from the wall that you can get up to speed (generally 10 yards or so, a little less than half way down the pool).  Swim towards the wall, get up to speed and maintain the speed all the way to the wall then do a flip turn, noting where you started your turn, then swim back out to where you started.  Did you hit your turn?  Too close to the wall?  Too far from the wall?  Do another turn, making whatever adjustment you need to make to hit the turn.  Maybe do this 10 times.  If it were me, I would be using open turns in my workouts and doing my 'turn drill' in the middle of my workout.  When I got to where I had done maybe 3 or 4 turn drills in which I had successfully hit all 10 turns, then I might consider starting to use flip turns in my workout.  There is enough to worry about when you are learning how to swim with proper technique.  By moving learning and mastering the flip turn to a drill, as opposed to using it now in workouts, you can avoid sweating the small stuff and concentrate on those things that will make you a more efficient swimmer.

Just my two cents.  If you can clarify your original comment/question, I will see if I can answer it.

2014-01-05 7:25 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Thanks Scott,

I focused on reaching for the wall today and that helped me engage my lats in a way that I hadn't felt them before.

I've been doing flip turns for about 6 or 7 years, I can do them….but I slow too much heading into them.  Not sure why I don't maintain any speed going into them, but then again I am a pretty slow swimmer so it isn't like I am losing a lot of time due to a poorly executed turn.  I average 2:15-2:20/ 100 no matter what I do.

My swim background is weak at best.  My father taught me enough to keep me from drowning as a child.  I was 45 when I decided to start training for triathlons so that was when I had my first real swim lesson.  The fact that I "look" smooth is a miracle…but smooth has yet to = fast for me.

I saw the most recent issue of the USAT magazine advocated that triathletes incorporate  IM work in the off season.  I can do a decent back and something that resembles breast stroke (would be eliminated in a meet for sure!).  My fly is pretty bad, as in the guard needs to be on deck and ready to do CPR when I get done with even 50 yards of it.  Since Fly pull has that EVF needed in free I may force myself to incorporate more IM work no matter how much I hate it.

2014-01-06 6:06 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

WooHoooo  I lost 1 lb.

2014-01-06 7:19 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by soccermom15

Strength training - I'm trying to set up some kind of ST workouts.  My plan right now is just generic - 20' one day, 30' another - but doesn't really give me any direction on what to do.  I can't just go to the gym (or the basement) and do something - I need specifics.  So I'm trying to set something up.  I know I need core work but aside from that I'm a little lost.  Can anyone give me some suggestions on what types of things I should be doing?  I have a couple of books that I've been reading through but they all say something different.  Thanks!

Janet

I have found exercise routines out of magazines very helpful.  I've attached some of the stuff I do.

Attachments
----------------
Core Workouts.pdf (3090KB - 5 downloads)

2014-01-06 7:27 AM

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: ready..set...go

Originally posted by dustytrails OKAY James....NOOOWWWW we start the contest. My mistake. Janet_ I like TRI POWER by Frediani for weight training ..(I had not done any in a while. Learning squats for first time.) Meagan ..Love your profile pic...artsy ! Bilateral hip weakness issue. I started my Chi Running. Ya speed comes easier..my lower legs felt better...was hard on my hips.... my Left hip is SO weak.....hard to do w/o's to help Left hip become as strong as the other side........ when I try to do extra rep's with weak side.....it is pretty sore and just really would rather not cooperate. Its not like I am going to stop running to rest the weak side however! I wonder if I should back off on my fav five mile fire road runs I do twice a week.

Not sure if this will help...but I do something called the Myrtl routine every weekday morning and also do a Lunge stretch routine.  I think the Myrtl routine has helped quite a bit with respect to keeping hip joints loose and also has strengthened my butt.  You will have to click on the Lunge Series link in the article to view the routine.  Both take about 7 minutes each so they are perfect for doing 1st thing in the morning.

2014-01-06 7:53 AM

Dublin, Ohio
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN

So I have developed my training plan for January and February.  The only real specifics are Scott's swim sessions.  My runs just say recovery, speed, and my 'hill loop'.  My bikes are commuter oriented during the week and my group ride on Saturday.  There is a gap in January when we are headed out of town.

I'd be interested in some suggestions for speed run sessions.  My Thursday morning Luna Chix track workouts will not start until April so I'm in need of some inspiration for my Thursday runs.  

Also, some ideas for my morning commute other than what I have.  My evening commutes I do not try to get a real training session in --- as I am always reflecting on the day or getting a workout in battling a stiff headwind (this happens on about 50% of my rides).

I've yet to build in step back weeks or rest days.

Thanks!

Melanie,

I develop my speed in running through progression runs. I start out fairly easy then increase the speed throughout the run. It really helps to teach your body to run on tired legs. Also, I find it difficult to do intervals early in the season as the abrupt start/stop is hard on my body. Another good speed workout is to do "minutes". Do a warmup then do 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy and work your way up to 20. You can also do variations and do 2 minutes hard, 1 minutes easy. etc. Instead of concentrating on a specific pace work on effort.. Another way is to do hill repeats either outside or on the treadmill. Hills are "speedwork in disguise". They really help leg strength.

Hope this helps!

Edited by wsummerhill 2014-01-06 7:54 AM
2014-01-06 9:31 AM

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Weigh in tonight and start recording workouts tomorrow. Reports start next Sunday night.

Hey James...this sucks. I go to all that work to layer on the pounds by eating everything in sight over the holidays and then you push the contest back one week? I set myself up perfectly. I dropped 2.5 pounds this week on top of 9.5 hours of training and was ready to bolt into an early lead.

Cie la vie.

Steve.

2014-01-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: lutzman

may I rejoin this group even though listed as closed. it is hard to find a better group for a 56 year old female with grey hair.
If i am permitted to rejoin, i would like to join challenge as well. i weighed myself yesterday and will begin recording workouts so i can report next sunday evening.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 18756 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 4, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
author : pjsuperhawk
Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.