Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Hi Elaine, welcome back!

2015-01-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

Master
, California

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

I'm hoping to be a regular here again. Army training is done, so I mostly have my life back.

This may not be a tri year though, it may be a marathon year. I applied for the Army Tri team again, but unless the squad is bigger (which it might be - it's a Military World Games year), I'm out. I did find out that the AZ Guard has a marathon team, and that the time standard is a 4:30 for the women... and that my only competition has a PR of 4:07... I ran a 4:22 in January 2012, and I'm confident that, if trained, I could go 4:00 by the end of Jan 2016.

Ok - back to catching up on the conversation so far

Do you have to race on the same course?  Pick something easier than hers

2015-01-15 11:12 AM

User image

Seattle

I'm hoping to be a regular here again. Army training is done, so I mostly have my life back.

This may not be a tri year though, it may be a marathon year. I applied for the Army Tri team again, but unless the squad is bigger (which it might be - it's a Military World Games year), I'm out. I did find out that the AZ Guard has a marathon team, and that the time standard is a 4:30 for the women... and that my only competition has a PR of 4:07... I ran a 4:22 in January 2012, and I'm confident that, if trained, I could go 4:00 by the end of Jan 2016.

Welcome back.

You can go 4:00

2015-01-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by spudone

Do you have to race on the same course?  Pick something easier than hers

I can pick any course There's a nice downhill in Ventura in May... and the Tucson Marathon is downhill (December)

2015-01-15 12:00 PM

User image

Pro

Quick question:

Do you warm up at all before running? If yes, what do you do? Do you do it before every run?

I've always just kind of ran, but this year will (hopefully) bring many more miles than the last one.

2015-01-15 12:03 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I don't warmup before a run.  The beginning of the run is the warmup generally.  

2015-01-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
Ontario

Rusty is Mr. Warmup.  My warmup is limited to getting changed - but I'm not as old as Rusty...

2015-01-15 12:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Quick question:

Do you warm up at all before running? If yes, what do you do? Do you do it before every run?

I've always just kind of ran, but this year will (hopefully) bring many more miles than the last one.

I have been, but didn't always. Doing various high knee and heel kick activities to get things firing throughout the range. Actually more than the range I'll use. And yes, it's been before every run. This is not the entire warm-up, however, as the early mileage will also contribute. Especially for a faster run, I'll get in some faster running later in the warm-up too.

2015-01-15 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Quick question:

YES! For quality workouts and races anyway. Very, very important. 

WU= very easy running, usually in the grass. Dynamic stuff like leg swings, skipping, fast feet etc. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-15 12:23 PM
2015-01-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Quick question:

WU= very easy running, usually in the grass. Dynamic stuff like leg swings, skipping, fast feet etc. 

For quality workouts, I typically run easy for 10-15 minutes and then work in some strides. 5' additional easy running and then go time. Pretty much the same thing I do for races.
2015-01-15 1:21 PM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Ryan Mac

Quick question:

For quality workouts, I typically run easy for 10-15 minutes and then work in some strides. 5' additional easy running and then go time. Pretty much the same thing I do for races.

This is more or less what I would do too.

2015-01-15 2:04 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by BrotherTri Ok training analyst..... I am doing power intervals 2x a week and I am progressing. This was on the computrainer. So I don't understand why, because I am resting more? Today's bike workout was a CT ride of 3 x 300+w @8' w/2' ri I averaged 242 watts for the hour and seam fairly ez overall. Don't get me wrong the last few minutes of the 8' intervals where tough. Anyway I was thinking of increasing the weekly workouts to 3x but I am not 100% sure its necessary now. Any thoughts?

Those type of workouts generally get best results with ample rest or easy days.  So it is definitely a good thing that your 8' power is going up at this time of the year, with this type of weekly workout structure.  It lays a good foundation for you to build upon later in the season as your workouts tailor more towards your race distance/duration.

Increasing the workouts to 3x a week may be okay depending on what else you are doing with running and swimming, and what exactly your goals are.  I would say 3x a week hard interval training is pretty close to a bike focus as you'll likely be shelled for most of the other workouts during the week.  Push too hard in those other workouts and those bike workouts might start to suffer since you aren't getting as much rest.

Of course the other option is that if the workout seemed manageable overall...up the wattage goals till you feel like 2x a week is enough...  Probably a good idea if you plan to avergae 300w for an IM bike!  Sorry...not going to let you live that down just yet...LOL.  I'm just teasing because I'd probably puke if I did that workout once...let alone 2x a week and thinking about a third.

It can be helpful to know just how hard that ride was too, as in relating it to FTP for one way. Each one of us would have a different though on how hard 300 watts for 3 x 8' is for us.

Yeah, can we reinstate my "talk in terms of %FTP or W/kg" rule again?

No

For a better response to that, I think "no" because there are times the actual power is helpful too. We use the percents to help target in workouts, but we also want the actual numbers to keep going up even though the relationships may stay about the same.

Hey Ben, while she asked it somewhat in jest, I do think Nicole's request is actually a good one. Yes, of course we all use the hard numbers to perform the workout, but posting "I did x watts for y minutes doesn't mean anything outside of the context of absolute FTP. In James' particular circumstance it is a little different, as he is in some way trying to use these particular efforts to actually determine his FTP. but generally just posting the raw power numbers aren't instructional or illuminating for others since they exist inside a vacuum with no relational context to understand what they mean, or how a particular protocol can be assimilated into another's training and/or testing.

I think that more often than not it probably should be in terms of %FTP as more discussions tend to be about the execution of the workouts. I said "no" and not "never" as the postings should be in context of what the discussion is for. Maybe that didn't come across so well before?

Learning which to use in various types of context can be rather helpful for James.

ETA: My original "no" was kind of teasing back to her. And I do get kind of lost on how hard some workouts are for a number of the crew as I can't quite keep track of everyone's FTP all the time.

I get what you're both saying and even agree with both of you

I get that using raw numbers makes sense in some situations, especially when you want to see progress over time.  That doesn't mean that seeing all you super-biker's numbers doesn't make me feel piddly!  But when we talk in terms of W/kg, I don't feel quite so pedestrian.  It's one thing to see that I'm holding 0.2 W/kg less than others....it's a whole different thing to be 100W less than others!!

Also, in terms of knowing how hard a workout is, it really does help to have a relation to FTP.  If someone says they did 8' intervals @ 90% of FTP, that means one thing -- and I get that!  But if someone says they did 8' intervals @ 150% of FTP, that means a totally different thing -- either they're full of shiz or their FTP isn't accurate.  So for stuff like that, having a reference to FTP makes it much more meaningful.

2015-01-15 3:35 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by BrotherTri Ok training analyst..... I am doing power intervals 2x a week and I am progressing. This was on the computrainer. So I don't understand why, because I am resting more? Today's bike workout was a CT ride of 3 x 300+w @8' w/2' ri I averaged 242 watts for the hour and seam fairly ez overall. Don't get me wrong the last few minutes of the 8' intervals where tough. Anyway I was thinking of increasing the weekly workouts to 3x but I am not 100% sure its necessary now. Any thoughts?

Those type of workouts generally get best results with ample rest or easy days.  So it is definitely a good thing that your 8' power is going up at this time of the year, with this type of weekly workout structure.  It lays a good foundation for you to build upon later in the season as your workouts tailor more towards your race distance/duration.

Increasing the workouts to 3x a week may be okay depending on what else you are doing with running and swimming, and what exactly your goals are.  I would say 3x a week hard interval training is pretty close to a bike focus as you'll likely be shelled for most of the other workouts during the week.  Push too hard in those other workouts and those bike workouts might start to suffer since you aren't getting as much rest.

Of course the other option is that if the workout seemed manageable overall...up the wattage goals till you feel like 2x a week is enough...  Probably a good idea if you plan to avergae 300w for an IM bike!  Sorry...not going to let you live that down just yet...LOL.  I'm just teasing because I'd probably puke if I did that workout once...let alone 2x a week and thinking about a third.

It can be helpful to know just how hard that ride was too, as in relating it to FTP for one way. Each one of us would have a different though on how hard 300 watts for 3 x 8' is for us.

Yeah, can we reinstate my "talk in terms of %FTP or W/kg" rule again?

No

For a better response to that, I think "no" because there are times the actual power is helpful too. We use the percents to help target in workouts, but we also want the actual numbers to keep going up even though the relationships may stay about the same.

Hey Ben, while she asked it somewhat in jest, I do think Nicole's request is actually a good one. Yes, of course we all use the hard numbers to perform the workout, but posting "I did x watts for y minutes doesn't mean anything outside of the context of absolute FTP. In James' particular circumstance it is a little different, as he is in some way trying to use these particular efforts to actually determine his FTP. but generally just posting the raw power numbers aren't instructional or illuminating for others since they exist inside a vacuum with no relational context to understand what they mean, or how a particular protocol can be assimilated into another's training and/or testing.

I think that more often than not it probably should be in terms of %FTP as more discussions tend to be about the execution of the workouts. I said "no" and not "never" as the postings should be in context of what the discussion is for. Maybe that didn't come across so well before?

Learning which to use in various types of context can be rather helpful for James.

ETA: My original "no" was kind of teasing back to her. And I do get kind of lost on how hard some workouts are for a number of the crew as I can't quite keep track of everyone's FTP all the time.

I get what you're both saying and even agree with both of you

I get that using raw numbers makes sense in some situations, especially when you want to see progress over time.  That doesn't mean that seeing all you super-biker's numbers doesn't make me feel piddly!  But when we talk in terms of W/kg, I don't feel quite so pedestrian.  It's one thing to see that I'm holding 0.2 W/kg less than others....it's a whole different thing to be 100W less than others!!

Also, in terms of knowing how hard a workout is, it really does help to have a relation to FTP.  If someone says they did 8' intervals @ 90% of FTP, that means one thing -- and I get that!  But if someone says they did 8' intervals @ 150% of FTP, that means a totally different thing -- either they're full of shiz or their FTP isn't accurate.  So for stuff like that, having a reference to FTP makes it much more meaningful.

Hey Nicole I am new to power training so a lot of learning for me. I’ll post in a % format in the future.

My last FTP test was 30 Nov 2014 I only did 275w for 20’ so that translated to a 255 FTP.

So I need to retest for sure.
2015-01-15 4:03 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

James -- I know you're new to training with power (welcome to the dark side).  I think we're all just teasing you a bit....that's not to say I'm not jealous of you power numbers (because I am!!). 

2015-01-15 7:00 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Just round everyone up to 80kg. And put me and Chris up at 100. 

2015-01-15 8:49 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Hey Elaine and Adrienne - welcome back to the group - great to have you back!

2015-01-15 9:01 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Oof. Not sure why I was so optimistic, but the first week back at work has been a complete bust from a training perspective.

On the upside, after 4 weeks of PT three times a week I think the elbow is going in the right direction - it feeling much better, so fingers crossed.

Tomorrow and Saturday I am doing my USAT Youth and Junior Certification, so hopefully that will be a fun way to end the week.

Then a reset on Sunday and try to get back to a regular schedule.

2015-01-16 4:40 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by GoFaster

Rusty is Mr. Warmup.  My warmup is limited to getting changed - but I'm not as old as Rusty...

Yes, it is true! I found my arm up religion 3 years ago when recovering from a knee injury. 15 minutes of walking and dynamic stretching, then 20 minutes of very easy running before every single run.

2015-01-16 6:43 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

3200 meters in the pool this morning.  Lots more IM work, I'm finding that is helping pass the time better.

300 choice
8x25 band on 60s
4x200 with 30s rest as
odds pull (paddles optional)
evens swim - long and strong
2x (all on 15s rest, 60s at end)
{8x25 in IM order
6x50 as odds non-free, evens free fast
4x75 as odds IM order (no free), evens free t pace
2x100 long and strong}
300 choice

2015-01-16 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by axteraa

3200 meters in the pool this morning.  Lots more IM work, I'm finding that is helping pass the time better.

300 choice
8x25 band on 60s
4x200 with 30s rest as
{8x25 in IM order
2x100 long and strong}
300 choice

How do you remember all that??!!

My main set today is 15x100

2015-01-16 8:43 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

300 choice
8x25 band on 60s
4x200 with 30s rest as
{8x25 in IM order
2x100 long and strong}
300 choice

I see a number of ways to put things together that help out mentally. So it's not such a huge list. 1300 w/u, 2000 main set (or 2 x 1000 if you will), 300 c/d. And this is 3500.

Would also be looking at the 1000s as 2-3-3-2. Each little subset is 200 or 300. There is cycling & alternating in each of them to help some more. Still have to remember what to do in each, but it's helped me when I'm able to move things around mentally like that. Building in some double checks.

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-16 8:44 AM

2015-01-16 10:22 AM
in reply to: Ryan Mac

User image

Elite
Ontario

300 choice
8x25 band on 60s
4x200 with 30s rest as
{8x25 in IM order
2x100 long and strong}
300 choice

Umm...print it?  That's what I do for my workouts in TP.  Of course with what Arend has listed above that would take me twice as much time to actually swim, which is one of the tougher things I feel for slower swimmers to deal with is the amount of time they need to spend in the pool to get the same volume as a "good" swimmer.  It's one area of Tri where I think distance matters more than time.

2015-01-16 10:23 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Exactly what Ben said, it's all about finding patterns.  The initial warmup is fairly typical of what Shane gives me, there are maybe 3 or 4 variations that I will see so I just get used to that.  

After that, within the main set the pattern goes 8, 6, 4, 2 for the number of repeats and the distance increases by 25 so it's just remembering to start at 8x25.  Then just have to remember what to do for each but there is somewhat of a pattern there too.

There has only been one time that I told him he had violated rule 16. 

2015-01-16 11:16 AM

User image

Seattle

Exactly what Ben said, it's all about finding patterns.  The initial warmup is fairly typical of what Shane gives me, there are maybe 3 or 4 variations that I will see so I just get used to that.  

After that, within the main set the pattern goes 8, 6, 4, 2 for the number of repeats and the distance increases by 25 so it's just remembering to start at 8x25.  Then just have to remember what to do for each but there is somewhat of a pattern there too.

Sooo you will warm up your swim but not the run, eh? 

2015-01-16 11:19 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Sooo you will warm up your swim but not the run, eh? 

Ha!  Well, I NEVER just go and do an easy swim, there is always some sort of intensity.  If I were to ever do that (just swim easy), I would just get in and swim, like I do for an easy run.

As I mentioned, I do warm up for a run if it's going to entail some sort of workout or a race.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).