General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-05-28 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Today's workout was dedicated to the honey badger!! He got me through over 8 hrs of sbr to nail my biggest workout ever!!  Rain...lol, honey badger loves the rain to keep him cool, neck cramps...whatever...honey badger just twists head back and forth, headache....can't stop honey badger, HR monitor buggaboos and annoying HR alerts...honey badger don't need no stinkin' HR monitor...he turned off alerts and just went for it on RPE and finished a 118 mile brick after a 3800 yd swim in the morning...honey badger loves the water!! 

Thank you honey badger, you ROCK!!

Edited by mdfahy 2011-05-28 8:23 PM

2011-05-28 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3523295

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
mdfahy - 2011-05-28 6:19 PM

Today's workout was dedicated to the honey badger!! He got me through over 8 hrs of sbr to nail my biggest workout ever!!  Rain...lol, honey badger loves the rain to keep him cool, neck cramps...whatever...honey badger just twists head back and forth, headache....can't stop honey badger, HR monitor buggaboos and annoying HR alerts...honey badger don't need no stinkin' HR monitor...he turned off alerts and just went for it on RPE and finished a 118 mile brick after a 3800 yd swim in the morning...honey badger loves the water!! 

Thank you honey badger, you ROCK!!

The Honey Badger clearly gave you some crazy mojo because that workout kicks ! You slapped the #(%* out of the Ironman cobra today my friend. Way to kill it!
2011-05-28 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3521271

User image

Master

cam111 - 2011-05-27 3:52 AM I just looked up sun rise and sun set times for June 26th and it listed sun rise at3:41am and sunset at 8:29pm. Does this sound right to any of the locals?

Haven't posted here in forever... got way behind for awhile but am finally CAUGHT UP!!! Anyway, my real-life experience (living just outside of Seattle) is that on Thursday I went for a run at 4:40am and did not need a headlamp. LOVE the long days here. So yeah, that sounds about right!

Got way behind on the thread back in early April when I had a really sad day... went on a super-duper easy run with my dog and my 11-year-old son on the trails and took a fall, into a lunge position. Felt a pop and a shooting pain in my hamstring. Ouch. Long story short is that I tore my hamstring (split it) and started a nice, slow road of re-hab and recovery. Took about 10 days off from running, worked with a PT, then built back up starting with 2 min run/1 min walk for :30. I have been super duper patient and am thrilled that my long run this week was 2:15. Not quite where I want to be time-wise and speed-wise, but darn it, I'm still healing and getting better and I'll be able to race. Happy that I had a solid run base this winter (200 miles in December) -- that has helped with mental confidence if nothing else.

Really looking forward to my last long week or two. Had a good weekend in CDA two weeks ago, running and riding the course. The hills didn't get easier than last year, but I certainly became smarter about my gearing into them, which helped. Anxious for everything race.

Keep up the great chatter!!!

2011-05-28 11:32 PM

With time ticking away, another solid week of training. Not much change in the last few weeks and a couple weeks to go for me before taper time. The trainer has become my friend and have been finishing my long ride on the trainer (last two hours of 4) and doing the bike portion of my brick workout on the trainer just to keep a little cooler. Luckily the the weather cooled a little this week and has been down around 36-38 Celsius during the day and usually about 31 at 4am when we start our long stuff! It's all relative!

weekly totals:
Swim: 3hr 40min
bike: 14hrs 9min
run: 7hr 4 min

Total- 24hrs 53min
2011-05-29 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

What do your last 4 weeks of training look like?

I just finished an 18 hour week.

Week ending / Hours & Big Workouts

June 5 / 15 - 90 to 100 bike & 15 mile run (separate days)

June 12 / 12 - 60/10 brick & OWS

June 19 / 9 - 40 mile bike & 12 mile run (Seperate Days)

June 26 / 5 - Bike at CDA to check out course (Ride hills & descents)

2011-05-29 7:25 AM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Here's another "locals" question for the bike course.  What does the area typically see with WIND?

2011-05-29 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3523365

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
kkcbelle - 2011-05-28 10:38 PM

cam111 - 2011-05-27 3:52 AM I just looked up sun rise and sun set times for June 26th and it listed sun rise at3:41am and sunset at 8:29pm. Does this sound right to any of the locals?

Haven't posted here in forever... got way behind for awhile but am finally CAUGHT UP!!! Anyway, my real-life experience (living just outside of Seattle) is that on Thursday I went for a run at 4:40am and did not need a headlamp. LOVE the long days here. So yeah, that sounds about right!

Got way behind on the thread back in early April when I had a really sad day... went on a super-duper easy run with my dog and my 11-year-old son on the trails and took a fall, into a lunge position. Felt a pop and a shooting pain in my hamstring. Ouch. Long story short is that I tore my hamstring (split it) and started a nice, slow road of re-hab and recovery. Took about 10 days off from running, worked with a PT, then built back up starting with 2 min run/1 min walk for :30. I have been super duper patient and am thrilled that my long run this week was 2:15. Not quite where I want to be time-wise and speed-wise, but darn it, I'm still healing and getting better and I'll be able to race. Happy that I had a solid run base this winter (200 miles in December) -- that has helped with mental confidence if nothing else.

Really looking forward to my last long week or two. Had a good weekend in CDA two weeks ago, running and riding the course. The hills didn't get easier than last year, but I certainly became smarter about my gearing into them, which helped. Anxious for everything race.

Keep up the great attitude!  I'm really glad your injury wasn't season-ending... and that you've been smart about rehabbing conservatively.  Rarely does our trainign go exactly as we plan, and part of the thrill of IM is knowing you overcame the obstacles that tried to derail you.  Crossing that finish line will have an extra level of hellz-to-the-yeaaaaah for you now (ie, apparently... honey badger don't need know effin hamstring).

2011-05-29 7:59 AM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Any strong evidence out there on the benefit/cost of either a two or three week taper?  I'm following the BT Intermediate IM training plan and feeling a little under prepared (plan has a three week taper).  I've been told that the best thing to do at this point is to focus on the bike and get as much gain as possible there (benefits both bike and the run).  Does anyone have experience in getting an extra 100+mile ride in two weeks before race day?  If that option is out...how much rest/recovery if I want to put a long ride in during the middle of the week?  I know this is a very ambiguous question that could require a novel to completely address, so any contribution or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Cam
2011-05-29 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3523509

New user

yes, usually we have a southern wind only about 3-5 mph.
2011-05-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3523365

User image

Master
Vista, CA
kkcbelle - 2011-05-28 7:38 PM

Great rehab and recovery and comeback!! And, great attitude! That's an IM attitude, for sure.

2011-05-29 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3523528

cam111 - 2011-05-29 2:59 PM

Any strong evidence out there on the benefit/cost of either a two or three week taper?  I'm following the BT Intermediate IM training plan and feeling a little under prepared (plan has a three week taper).  I've been told that the best thing to do at this point is to focus on the bike and get as much gain as possible there (benefits both bike and the run).  Does anyone have experience in getting an extra 100+mile ride in two weeks before race day?  If that option is out...how much rest/recovery if I want to put a long ride in during the middle of the week?  I know this is a very ambiguous question that could require a novel to completely address, so any contribution or guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Cam

I do about a 6 hr ride 2weeks before and 3-4 hr ride 1 week before but I will have been putting in a lot of bike miles so it won't be much of a stretch for me. I would say going that long 2 weeks out would not be wise if it is going to be very taxing on your system. You have to do what you feel is right for you right now but straying from your program that you have been following at this time may not be real wise. When I developed my program I started from race day and worked backwards so everything was developed as one big puzzle as most programs are.

2011-05-29 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Awesome running conditions today for my long run:

87 degrees with full sun

52% humidity

22 mph winds

30 seconds off marathon pace

Knocked out 21 miles.  Terrible conditions.  It felt like I was dying a slow death after mile 17.  Going to run to the gym for a swim and spin class after lunch. 

One nasty week left as of today.  I'm looking forward to the taper more than the race.  That's sad. 

2011-05-29 7:23 PM

User image

Elite
SE

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d0WoaKsBRQxWWgbfCHe5yku5-sanKNa_ZTLV42QkXeU/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=CPCCvsQD&pli=1#

Jamie Lynn Morgan 

Edited by phatknot 2011-05-29 7:25 PM
2011-05-29 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3523587

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
dbdutro - 2011-05-29 8:01 AM

yes, usually we have a southern wind only about 3-5 mph.

I'm not a local but I've been on the course enough to say wind is a factor. Typically (the last 2 IMs I did and yesterday) I've experienced a 10-15 MpH wind that presents like a headwind most noticeably on the back part of the course as you're heading back to town. It's a slight descent to flat yet usually there's a headwind right in your face the whole way.
2011-05-29 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3523962

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
I'm having a really really really bad weekend.  Still in the hospital (wrecked my bike on Saturday - entirely my fault, no other vehicles involved).  Broken rib, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, road rash.  At this point the only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing IMCdA...........Not happy.
2011-05-29 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3523962

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
leopard8996 - 2011-05-29 4:49 PM
dbdutro - 2011-05-29 8:01 AM yes, usually we have a southern wind only about 3-5 mph.
I'm not a local but I've been on the course enough to say wind is a factor. Typically (the last 2 IMs I did and yesterday) I've experienced a 10-15 MpH wind that presents like a headwind most noticeably on the back part of the course as you're heading back to town. It's a slight descent to flat yet usually there's a headwind right in your face the whole way.

Yep that's right.  It's not that common to have only a 3-5mph hour wind, especially this time of year.   Rode today in those conditions and it was really nice but like Bonnie says, the 10-15mph from the south/southwest is more the norm.  If you're lucky though, there'll be a north/northwest wind on race day that'll help you fly back into town on the slight downhill!    You all train safe these last couple weeks.

2011-05-29 10:28 PM
in reply to: #3524059

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Cantucan - 2011-05-29 8:08 PMI'm having a really really really bad weekend.  Still in the hospital (wrecked my bike on Saturday - entirely my fault, no other vehicles involved).  Broken rib, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, road rash.  At this point the only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing IMCdA...........Not happy.
Sorry to hear about your accident. Unfortunately your story is all too common. I know your going through a lot just now and you need to focus on getting well, then worry about next steps. If you think of it, one option is to use your travel and accomodations to come to the race an volunteer. You will get priority for 2012 registration if that is an option. This same thing happened to a BT'r in 2008 and this is exactly what she did. (very inspiring seeing her hand out drink cups on the run course with one good arm)Take care
2011-05-29 10:41 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Cantucan - 2011-05-29 8:08 PM I'm having a really really really bad weekend.  Still in the hospital (wrecked my bike on Saturday - entirely my fault, no other vehicles involved).  Broken rib, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, road rash.  At this point the only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing IMCdA...........Not happy.

Oh no! So sorry. Get well. I hope you recover quickly.

Good idea about coming up to volunteer if you're able.
2011-05-29 11:23 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Cantucan - 2011-05-29 9:08 PM

I'm having a really really really bad weekend.  Still in the hospital (wrecked my bike on Saturday - entirely my fault, no other vehicles involved).  Broken rib, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, road rash.  At this point the only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing IMCdA...........Not happy.

Oh man, so sorry to hear this. Sounds like a bad crash - I'm glad you got to a hospital and are being taken care of. Best of luck recovering and I hope this doesn't keep you from going for it again in the future.
2011-05-30 1:15 AM

Focus: These last 4 weeks should turn to getting to the start line healthy. Everyone tends to start to worry now about what to wear, what to eat, how to taper, race strategy, if they've done enough training, etc. These worries take away from what is important...getting to the start line healthy. There will only be small fitness benefits accomplished in the last 4 weeks, however, the damage you can do to your race can be significant. The things we start to worry about now should have been dealt with over the last month when the stress of the upcoming race was not so great. If you haven't taken care of these things, get out some index cards and write everything down, go over it once or twice to make sure it is what you need it to be then file it for race week and get on with focusing on getting to the start line healthy...have I said that enough?? Err on the side of caution these last 4 weeks, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. If you need, go back and look at your logs and see how much time and effort you have put in to making sure you are prepared. Do what you need to do to alleviate the stresses in your life, especially around the race, this is a journey and we are nearing the end...you should be getting excited rather than stressed.

ENJOY the last 4 weeks of training, this is what we have worked for the past 6 months!!!
2011-05-30 6:07 AM

User image

Elite
SE

2x to what Gus said ^^^ and sorry to hear about your wreck Cantucan. Terrible thing it sounds like. We are kind of like football players though. If you don't go full out and go too cautious, you bring on different kind of risks (on the bike and to a less degree on the run). 

My issue lately is just getting in the dang water to swim. I'd rather do anything but. Once in, its ok though. Then I get feedback from Shanks and friends that I need to swim more activating my Oppositional Defiant Disorder haha

2011-05-30 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Cantucan - 2011-05-29 10:08 PM I'm having a really really really bad weekend.  Still in the hospital (wrecked my bike on Saturday - entirely my fault, no other vehicles involved).  Broken rib, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, road rash.  At this point the only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing IMCdA...........Not happy.

Tough break.  That sounds like a bad wreck.  Sorry to hear. 

I was riding with 4 friends on Saturday and 3 of them got tangled up on a turn and BAM, all three go down.  No major injuries, but anything can happen anytime.  I'm super paranoid at this point and won't ride near anyone.   

2011-05-30 7:27 AM

User image

Atlanta
Sorry about your wreck. I know how disappointed you must be feeling right now. Same thing happened to me last year training for IM Wisconsin. Wrecked while training and couldn't race due to two broken ribs.

I hope you get better soon!
2011-05-30 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
WA

Cantucan - 2011-05-29 8:08 AM I'm having a really really really bad weekend.  Still in the hospital (wrecked my bike on Saturday - entirely my fault, no other vehicles involved).  Broken rib, broken collar bone, collapsed lung, road rash.  At this point the only thing I know for sure is that I won't be doing IMCdA...........Not happy.

Cantucan, OMG!!!  Sorry to hear that.  Hope you recover soon.

kkcbelle, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!

2011-05-30 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Agreed with everything said! So sorry to hear about your accident! Take good care!

This is a beautiful rest week for me and after 4 hard weeks I couldn't be happier! Sleep, stretching, massage, eating clean are all on the agenda!
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171