BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-12-17 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4433790

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Fred D Mentor Group Part III

Knowing there is a time goal does help in understanding the situation, but at the same time it doesn't really change what would constitute a good running development plan. Running a lot more consistently will help (as it looks like you are planning to do). Build up so you can do something like the 30 day challenge if you like, or something similar.

When you're running more consistently, look to add in things like strides. This will help your running economy, so you get more out of the run fitness you have. They're very short, so risk is rather minimal. Eventually you can look into running faster more regularly, but before getting too excited with that, remember the above discussion about training load. With running, if you run faster/harder, you'll probably have to run less. And it could be enough to lower the overall training load. So that's where some will say to keep building up the volume until you run out of time to do more. When you get to running more frequently, you'll also learn how to run harder at times as well. Not try to nail it from the start. With this goal in mind, definitely encourage building into it.

Wish I had something to add on the weight. I've been bigger (~45 lbs bigger), but it was a different athletic goal at the time, so I was still in some kind of shape. What's being said does make sense.

Something else that hasn't been looked at much is your goals with triathlon in general vs this. Will have to see how necessary it becomes, but would you be willing to reduce the swim & bike to accomplish this running goal? They could be used at times to help add to fitness, but with the priority on being able to run.

ETA: Try not to let the specific time get to you. Run smart, and what happens happens.

Edited by brigby1 2012-12-17 12:16 PM

2012-12-17 12:13 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Andy, if you want to reach your goal you need to be consistent first and foremost.  In both your eating and in your running.  Consistency IMO trumps all.  Given your run goals I would do BarryP and get out there 6 times a week.  I would probably put the tri training on hold for a bit and I would not do the long slow distances.  The long slow distances will not help your weight loss goals.  I'd probably do nothing longer then 1.5 hours.  I would also keep up the strength training (in relation to your career goals not running).  I have no doubt you'll get there, and I think with consistency you'll get there sooner then you think.
2012-12-17 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4537934

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TheClaaaw - 2012-12-17 10:53 AM
Goosedog - 2012-12-17 11:33 AM
TankBoy - 2012-12-17 11:20 AM

Andy, I for one completely forgot about that, but I do remember you writing a little more specifically about it a while back.

Me too.  A bit more significant than chasing a PR.  Andy, what does your weekly run schedule look like now (apologies if you posted it previously)? 

To be honest, haphazard and inconsistent over the last few months. That can't be of benefit right now. A good chunk of my motivation in this line of questioning is to get re-established in a routine, so I am using all the advice here to try and figure out what it will look like. But I am sure that the answer pretty much anyone would give me looking at not just my spotty couple of months, but the sum of the whole year, is that with just under 500 miles total for the year, while that may be a heck of a leap forward from where I was, it js simply not enough to make the kind of goals I am talking about, no matter the pace or RPE.

I think I'll just start with running more.

This has been a great discussion, Andy. Thanks for asking about it.

Here's another example for you -- you can look at my logs and see that most of my training runs are in the 11:00 -11:45 range -- sometimes even 12:00 - 13:00. Yet if you look at my last 5k, at the end of a sprint, my pace was 9:14. I never, ever run 5k (or even a mile, for that matter) at 9:14 pace in training. As others have mentioned, sometimes, if I'm feeling feisty, I'll throw in a half mile or mile at sub 10 minute mile pace, but that's mostly it for "speed" work for me.

I got to that pace with consistent and careful building over the past almost two years.

Even with the time frame you are talking about, I think you could get there with consistent mileage, mostly slow and easy, with fartleks or intervals thrown in when you are feeling good, once or twice a week, as some have mentioned. I do like running intervals on the track because I know exactly what I'm running and how fast, but I don't do it often. I might if I had the goal that you have, however.

Good luck! You've achieved so much already. I am confident that you can reach this goal, too.

2012-12-17 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4537934

User image

NC
TheClaaaw - 2012-12-17 11:53 AM

I think I'll just start with running more.

Yeah, BarryP is a miracle worker for runners of all sorts.  How far out is the test?

2012-12-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4538085

User image

bzgl40 - 2012-12-17 8:13 AM Andy, if you want to reach your goal you need to be consistent first and foremost.  In both your eating and in your running.  Consistency IMO trumps all.  Given your run goals I would do BarryP and get out there 6 times a week.  I would probably put the tri training on hold for a bit and I would not do the long slow distances.  The long slow distances will not help your weight loss goals.  I'd probably do nothing longer then 1.5 hours.  I would also keep up the strength training (in relation to your career goals not running).  I have no doubt you'll get there, and I think with consistency you'll get there sooner then you think.

Agree that consistency is king.  It's one thing that Bryan would always preach as well.  If you do a BarryP plan with 2 mile short runs, 4 mile medium, and 6 mile long, and are consistant enough to do it for the whole year, you'll end up with more than 1000 miles. 

2012-12-17 7:08 PM

User image

It looks like we got moved to the archives...

Last minute thought...let me know what you guys think about the group going forward

What do you think of having a group that is simply not opened or closed to members persay.  Keep the same ground rules as before that we limit discussion to SBR and you at least disclose your name (which helps keep people respectful).

Do you think that would work?  75% of me wants to keep the group as is because it's the safe thing to do and we know it will work.  The other 25% of me thinks we can enrich our experience by allowing any user to post in our group with legitimate questions. 

I've been thinking of group names, and "SBR Utopia" is what I'm leaning towards.  Any other suggestions.

2012-12-17 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4538939

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
tri808 - 2012-12-17 8:08 PM

Last minute thought...let me know what you guys think about the group going forward

What do you think of having a group that is simply not opened or closed to members persay.  Keep the same ground rules as before that we limit discussion to SBR and you at least disclose your name (which helps keep people respectful).

Do you think that would work?  75% of me wants to keep the group as is because it's the safe thing to do and we know it will work.  The other 25% of me thinks we can enrich our experience by allowing any user to post in our group with legitimate questions. 

I've been thinking of group names, and "SBR Utopia" is what I'm leaning towards.  Any other suggestions.

Jason I agree with others that you will be a good mentor.

Part of being mentor is that you get to make the rules.

You've been in at least two successful (ahem) mentor groups, and so I think you have a good sense of what works and what doesn't work.  Follow your sense and experience.
2012-12-17 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4538984

User image

Payson, AZ
Experior - 2012-12-17 6:50 PM

Jason I agree with others that you will be a good mentor.

Part of being mentor is that you get to make the rules.

You've been in at least two successful (ahem) mentor groups, and so I think you have a good sense of what works and what doesn't work.  Follow your sense and experience.

+1

2012-12-18 2:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Jason, that's a good idea I think.  You can always change it to closed if things aren't working out as expected.
2012-12-18 7:14 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Jason, you have good instincts and I'm fine with however you want to run the group. Just let us know how to support you as the leader.

I had my last long road warrior day of the year yesterday. 9 hours total in the air. That does bad things to my back and my mood. I am now officially in an "airport free" zone for a couple months. 

2012-12-18 8:11 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

I honestly think that if you go this route then you're going to end up with way too much noise.  The group will get pulled in so many directions we won't be able to keep up.

Without being snarky, it's up to BT to fix some of the issues going on in Tri Talk - our group discussing SBR is not going to do that.

I vote to keep things as they are.  You just have to look how many posts go through this group daily, how good the feedback is, etc.  I think adding volume to it is a bad idea.

My 2 pennies.

2012-12-18 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4539323

User image

Melon Presser
kcarroll - 2012-12-18 9:14 PM

Jason, you have good instincts and I'm fine with however you want to run the group. Just let us know how to support you as the leader.

I had my last long road warrior day of the year yesterday. 9 hours total in the air. That does bad things to my back and my mood. I am now officially in an "airport free" zone for a couple months. 

x2 to Jason and also what everyone else said.

Glad you're off travel for a bit! I flew from Perth to Bali, was in Bali for 10 hours (most of which I spent with a beloved friend I haven't seen in many years, she's spending Christmas in Bali area with her boyfriend, they're based in Paris) and then straight on to Jakarta mayhem with my own family for the holidays. So I'm all traveled out myself.

Went for my first "official" post-IM workout today--45min run. It was really lovely and no niggles left over from the race at all.

in reply to: #4539389

User image

NC
GoFaster - 2012-12-18 9:11 AM

I vote to keep things as they are.  You just have to look how many posts go through this group daily, how good the feedback is, etc.  I think adding volume to it is a bad idea.

Although I am new, and contribute a relatively small amount to the group discussion, I agree with this.  I like being able to come here and rely on reasonable and thoughtful information without having to filter it.  Reasonable and thoughtful information can certainly be found in the main forum, you just have to wade through a bunch of BS to get to it.  Not here.

I think additional invited members would be great, but I think making this a come one/come all group, things would go south.

User image

Pro

I vote that the group continues as is. If someone really shows an interest and contacts members about joining (and the group isn't too crazy) we can let them in... sort of what Fred was doing all along.

But, I'm not sure my vote counts! I leave in just over a month for Basic/OCS, and I'll be gone for 5 months...

2012-12-18 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4539393

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Goosedog - 2012-12-18 9:16 AM
GoFaster - 2012-12-18 9:11 AM

Although I am new, and contribute a relatively small amount to the group discussion, I agree with this.  I like being able to come here and rely on reasonable and thoughtful information without having to filter it.  Reasonable and thoughtful information can certainly be found in the main forum, you just have to wade through a bunch of BS to get to it.  Not here.

I think additional invited members would be great, but I think making this a come one/come all group, things would go south.

x3. 

I think the thread will get way to busy and quality would go down.  However, I think adding a few folks as you see fit would be fine.

Thanks for continuing the group Jason!

2012-12-18 10:23 AM

User image

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I honestly do understand the concerns.  Still mulling over the options.

2012-12-18 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4539646

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
tri808 - 2012-12-18 10:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I honestly do understand the concerns.  Still mulling over the options.

I've been a poor group member.  Work/Life too busy.  Just happened to check in now.  I would keep as is and maybe let a couple of people that really want help in.  There's enough people with a grasp on things so adding more is probably not necessary any longer and those folks may be better deployed as resources to start their own mentor group.  Although time is a limiter on an individual basis, collectively there is definitely enough coverage here IMO.  Couple of quick thoughts from me.  Do what you feel is right though.

2012-12-18 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
In Maui!!!! Wheeeeeee!!! Going for my first Maui run!
2012-12-18 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Jason, I agree with the general consensus of allowing a few more people in but not letting the group size get too large. Thanks for keeping the group going! (PS: very jealous that you live in Hawaii....just sayin...I'm already sad that I have to leave in 3 weeks! Haha)
2012-12-18 11:58 AM

User image

Ok...here's what I'm "leaning" towards.

I'm going to pursue the open group...that is if Ron even allows it.  I will ask that our group not open until all the other mentor groups are filled.  The purpose of our group would not even be to mentor anyway...just an open discussion.  Guys like Steven Bradely are excellent at actually mentoring...I don't think that's a strong point of our group as it is now anyway.

This new group will be experimental...we'll just see how it goes.  It could be that we don't see that many more people posting in it anyway.  If things get too cluttered, there is always this group that will remain in the archives and we can still use.  It may divide the attention of the group, but realistically, following 2 threads shouldn't be that bad if it comes down to it.

Or, if someone wants to take the lead in simply creating Fred D part IV, we can have both threads in the active mentor forum list. 

Neil, I agree that this shouldn't be our problem to fix, but to me it just feels right.  TT is full of crap these days because you're allowed to post about the dumbest things in there that are not tri related.  I feel a self moderated thread with strict SBR guidelines would be an awesome change even if we have to do it ourselves.

2012-12-18 12:02 PM

User image

Seattle
I've been encouraged to join this group. It sounds like you guys are still mulling over how you would like to proceed but if you will have me I'd like to take part in the next iteration. I was/am a mentor with Yanti in the Manatees but am looking for some guidance myself. I can share more about myself (for those who don't know me already) if you decide you have some room.

2012-12-18 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4539852

Master
, California

Asalzwed - 2012-12-18 10:02 AM I've been encouraged to join this group. It sounds like you guys are still mulling over how you would like to proceed but if you will have me I'd like to take part in the next iteration. I was/am a mentor with Yanti in the Manatees but am looking for some guidance myself. I can share more about myself (for those who don't know me already) if you decide you have some room.

We have a couple fish, and some strong cyclists.  It would be nice to have a super runner in here

2012-12-18 12:29 PM

User image

NC

Let's talk baselayers.  I'm pretty comfortable riding down to the low 40's in a S/S jersey, arms warmers and a vest.  This is a great set up when temps increase on the ride.  But what I'm looking to do is wear just a baselayer and a jersey on the days temps stay in the low 40's (much lower than that and I'll wear a softshell PI jacket).  Can anyone recommend a base layer that fits the bill - so it would have to be stout enough to replace the arm warmers?  Added bonus would be something I could run in on cold mornings.  Thanks.

2012-12-18 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4539909

Master
Northern IL
Goosedog - 2012-12-18 12:29 PM

Let's talk baselayers.  I'm pretty comfortable riding down to the low 40's in a S/S jersey, arms warmers and a vest.  This is a great set up when temps increase on the ride.  But what I'm looking to do is wear just a baselayer and a jersey on the days temps stay in the low 40's (much lower than that and I'll wear a softshell PI jacket).  Can anyone recommend a base layer that fits the bill - so it would have to be stout enough to replace the arm warmers?  Added bonus would be something I could run in on cold mornings.  Thanks.

An Under Armor Cold Gear long sleeve has worked well when it stays down near 40 and into the mid to upper 40's at times. A long sleeve Heat Gear has worked well for starting in the 40's, and when it warms up a little. Both have done well for running, but for lower temps than riding.

I'm also wearing full gloves, a hat, and various things for my legs & feet at these temps too.

2012-12-18 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4539909

User image

Payson, AZ
Goosedog - 2012-12-18 11:29 AM

On days like that I actually just wear a wind resistant sweater and will either have a long sleeve or short sleeve t-shirt underneath it.  Mountain Hardware makes some great ones that keep me pretty comfy. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  

of 115