of 149

2013-10-28 9:44 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by kcarrollInteresting discussion. I know that my tendency is to over fuel on the bike but i can't even fathom doing that ride on just water. I would have been foraging for berries or dumpster diving.
I never bring calories on a workout unless I am testing nutrition. Maybe a bottle of G2 on a 3-4 hour ride but that's it. All water and salt sticks.I fuel on the thought of my post ride/race beer, or two or......
I guess I just need to drink more....post workout ;-)Seriously though I am a little surprised. Have you always trained this way or is it something you've come to over time?

2013-10-29 6:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-29 7:00 AM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by kcarrollInteresting discussion. I know that my tendency is to over fuel on the bike but i can't even fathom doing that ride on just water. I would have been foraging for berries or dumpster diving.
I never bring calories on a workout unless I am testing nutrition. Maybe a bottle of G2 on a 3-4 hour ride but that's it. All water and salt sticks.I fuel on the thought of my post ride/race beer, or two or......
. Marc, can you elaborate? What do you eat before the ride to allow this? Does it take some time to get used to not eating anything on the bike? Also, can you tell me what salt sticks you use and how frequent you take them? Thanks.

For those reading this that don't know I am diabetic so I am limited in my ability to take on carbs

When I decided to do my first half, I was really scared I would bonk. So I went for a metabalic test. The result was that I burned an abnormal amount of fat vs glycogen.

We all burn a from both sources depending on the intensity of the exercise. In Z1 we burn mostly fat, in Z4 mostly glycogen. There is a point where we burn 50/50 between the two. I burn fat for longer than most people.

When we tested, I was "off the charts". So off the charts they had to double check the results. They consulted with another Dr and they confirmed what many have said that you can teach your body to fuel off fat reserves.

There are theories of what causes your body to adapt to this. Diet plays a role, what you use to fuel and how you time your carbs plays a role.

I believe it's mostly diet.

While it sounds cool, it isn't. I don't get all the vitamins, nutrients from foods with carbs. I am probably deficient in wheat for example. I don't eat enough fruit. I probably could do better, maybe i will focus more on it.

So, how do you cause a change ? I think a reduction in carbs in one's diet can be done in a healthy way and is key. Get rid of all the "bad carbs", keep the good carbs and I am sure your body will make slight adaptions. I suspect many people don't realize how many carbs they eat. My daughter wanted to lose weight. I told her to track her diet with myfitnesspal for a month. She was amazed at the very high percentage of carbs she ate. I try to eat almost no carbs and I still end up getting 30% of my calories from carbs. I bet many people are 70% carbs. There is no doubt, low carb also promotes weight reduction.

Timing of food : I use to always do my morning workouts on an empty stomach. I can eat in the morning and do a 21km run. Some say this contributes. If I do eat, I only eat protein pre-workout. I only eat eggs in the morning 365 days a year I eat eggs for breakfast.

Any high GI carbs, the ones that spike your blood sugars and insulin are best consumed post exercise.

Long rides, I usually take tablespoon or two of peanut butter

Bon Sebohar has a good book. I am sure it work because it does a lot of the stuff I learned to do just using my blood glucose meter.

I didn't know this stuff until much later but I had noticed it just by testing my blood glucose and trying to time my food and exercise to keep my glucose under control

BUT !!!!! Don't cut back on the good carbs in your diet. You are privileged to be able to eat these

These adaptations only came with time. From the point I was first diagnose and changed my diet to the first time I was tested, I would say it was 2 years of diet change. But I am sure adaptations occur after 3/4 months.

Edited by marcag 2013-10-29 7:37 AM
2013-10-29 7:16 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran

Also, can you tell me what salt sticks you use and how frequent you take them? Thanks.

I use the word salt stick but I actually use Gu Bru tablets or the actual Salt stick brand

I drop 1 GU bru per bottle, but it's more to give a slight taste to the water more than anything
If I drink pure water then I pop one salt stick tablet.

In races I try to take about 300mg of sodium per bottle of liquid. Warm weather, 2 bottles an hour in a race.

300mg per bottle is a safe amount IMO

Tranining, never more than 2 bottles for the entire ride so as little as 2 bottles for 4 hours

2013-10-29 8:41 AM

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D Also, can you tell me what salt sticks you use and how frequent you take them? Thanks.
I use the word salt stick but I actually use Gu Bru tablets or the actual Salt stick brand I drop 1 GU bru per bottle, but it's more to give a slight taste to the water more than anything If I drink pure water then I pop one salt stick tablet. In races I try to take about 300mg of sodium per bottle of liquid. Warm weather, 2 bottles an hour in a race. 300mg per bottle is a safe amount IMO Tranining, never more than 2 bottles for the entire ride so as little as 2 bottles for 4 hours

In your case, you don't have any sport drinks or gels, but 600mg of sodium/hour in hot weather is roughly 2 bottles of gatorade + 2 gels (to match just the sodium). I thought the recent consensus was that you didn't need to supplement with additional sodium, but the 600mg amount sounds like you would advocate it in hot weather racing.  Or am I reading this incorrectly? 

2013-10-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Fred D Also, can you tell me what salt sticks you use and how frequent you take them? Thanks.
I use the word salt stick but I actually use Gu Bru tablets or the actual Salt stick brand I drop 1 GU bru per bottle, but it's more to give a slight taste to the water more than anything If I drink pure water then I pop one salt stick tablet. In races I try to take about 300mg of sodium per bottle of liquid. Warm weather, 2 bottles an hour in a race. 300mg per bottle is a safe amount IMO Tranining, never more than 2 bottles for the entire ride so as little as 2 bottles for 4 hours

In your case, you don't have any sport drinks or gels, but 600mg of sodium/hour in hot weather is roughly 2 bottles of gatorade + 2 gels (to match just the sodium). I thought the recent consensus was that you didn't need to supplement with additional sodium, but the 600mg amount sounds like you would advocate it in hot weather racing.  Or am I reading this incorrectly? 

I try to do is keep my sodium intake proportional to my liquid intake
If I am taking 300mg of sodium with every bottle of liquid I am happy
It doesn't matter where the source of sodium is. If it's in gels, the liquid, tablets...it doesn't matter as along as long as 300mg of sodium is going into my body with 16oz-20oz of liquids

In a race I use either my own liquid mix or water from the course. If my own liquid mix, I tend to use GU brew. If water from the course, I use salt sticks.

2013-10-29 11:52 AM

Back from Miami.  fun race, not sure I'd go do it again, too many other races.  

My nutrition is not as well thought out as Marc's.  I had 600 cals available on the bike in Infinit and carried two gels.  I had my garmin lapping every 5 miles, and tried to take two sips of Infinit between each lap, about 12-13 minutes.  Only took one gel about the 25 mile mark.  Problem was the water bottles didn't fit very well in the BTS cage, and I had to take water after every Infinit sip, causing me to sit up, grab the water, then try furiously to shove it back in the cage while the flimsy plastic bottle just collapsed.  This caused me to drink a little less than I should have as it got frustrating to be out of aero for so long dealing with it (probably 45-60 seconds each time).  Need a new system.  I don't remember dumping the A2 bottle, think my wife did, but I know I did not finish the 600 calories.   So I probably had 650 or so calories on the bike, about 300 an hour

For the run, it was too hot and I knew I wouldn't be able to process a gel very well, or even perform, so I just used water and then started coke about half way through.  Very few calories on the run, but not sure that really affected me..   Maybe it did, but it was sure something to think about as I usually take in much more on the run.   

My infinit is pretty high in sodium, so no salt tabs for me.  One thing I was worried about was dehydration, that happened pretty badly at Canada.  I carried my own hand bottle and wa glad I did, even though my shoulders were sore after the run.   I would fill it up with water and ice every other aid station or so, so always had coolish water.  I also wore arm coolers, despite Jason's warnings that they wouldn't work that well in humidity.  They didn't work as well as they do in the desert, but there was enough of a breeze where if I sprayed them with water, they were OK.  Dumped a lot of water on my head, neck, arms, down the front, and socks wer siaking wet, but thankfully no blisters.  And I had a nice, long, fairly clear pee about 4.5 miles in (TMI, i know) , so I knew dehydration was not an issue

I was pretty hungry after the race.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-29 11:55 AM
2013-10-29 12:20 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Extreme Veteran
Kona 2013 (in French)

http://www.triclair.com/videos/download-avi-2013-hawaii.htm

What sucks is they talk about Jason in French but do not show his picture.....try finding that part
2013-10-29 5:28 PM

So, I have decided my goal next season will not be another IM but focus on the HIM and go sub 5.  I've never been a proponent of chasing times and going to races designed to get that time.... until last weekend.  Miami was my 8th HIM and the only flat one I've ever done.  The others - oceanside, pumpkinman (vegas), wildflower, and orangeman - all had significant climbing, which I really like.

I came off the bike actually in contention, i was 15th in my AG.  Then ran myself back to the top 20% or so.   But the bike effort (which was within my zones, so I don't think it negatively affected the run), showed me that I can duke it out up there.   Run was my limiter at Canada, it was my limiter at Miami.  Until I get serious about it, it always will be.  So this winter will be dedicated to it.  I've never run more than 800 or so miles in a year.

Obviously, I pay Shane for his advice so will be listening to it, but also would like the group's input about what kind of volume and training stress I should be looking at and advocating for.   Have a friend or two doing New Orleans in April, similar course to Miami from what I can tell but about 5-10 degrees cooler (and a wetsuit swim), don't know if that is too soon to try sub 5....

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-29 5:29 PM
2013-10-29 5:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

So, I have decided my goal next season will not be another IM but focus on the HIM and go sub 5.  I've never been a proponent of chasing times and going to races designed to get that time.... until last weekend.  Miami was my 8th HIM and the only flat one I've ever done.  The others - oceanside, pumpkinman (vegas), wildflower, and orangeman - all had significant climbing, which I really like.

I came off the bike actually in contention, i was 15th in my AG.  Then ran myself back to the top 20% or so.   But the bike effort (which was within my zones, so I don't think it negatively affected the run), showed me that I can duke it out up there.   Run was my limiter at Canada, it was my limiter at Miami.  Until I get serious about it, it always will be.  So this winter will be dedicated to it.  I've never run more than 800 or so miles in a year.

Obviously, I pay Shane for his advice so will be listening to it, but also would like the group's input about what kind of volume and training stress I should be looking at and advocating for.   Have a friend or two doing New Orleans in April, similar course to Miami from what I can tell but about 5-10 degrees cooler (and a wetsuit swim), don't know if that is too soon to try sub 5....

Not too soon to improve the run (IMO). You can see huge run improvements in a 3-4 month period with frequency.
You can ride outside all year, correct ?
How are you from a run injury point of view ?

As for NO, I met two guys before and after race. I offered to help train one. They had nothing but bad things to say about NO. The swim has been cancelled more than once and apparently it's a Point to Point which is a PIA.
2013-10-29 5:48 PM

Not too soon to improve the run (IMO). You can see huge run improvements in a 3-4 month period with frequency. You can ride outside all year, correct ?

yes

When I was 20-30 pounds heavier, every time i'd get over 25 mpw or so I'd get some soft tissue injury, usually calf related.  Lost weight and regular massages seems to have helped in that regard, and I've been [knock on wood] injury free for about a year and a half.  But IM trainng only got up to 30 mpw a couple times.

As for NO, I met two guys before and after race. I offered to help train one. They had nothing but bad things to say about NO. The swim has been cancelled more than once and apparently it's a Point to Point which is a PIA.

Yeah they've changed the swim and put it inside a marina now following the almost yearly swim cancellation.  would benefit me as it's WS legal and a little cold, which I like.  As for the PTP nature of the race, the worst part is that the only PTP part is the run, so you finish then have to go back to T1 to collect your bike.  I'll use tri bike transport so that will be a little easier.  But  yeah, there are other issues.  We'll have a car and my wife as a sherpa.

It's not an ideal race, but my training partner is already going, so that's on the plus side

2013-10-29 6:17 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-29 6:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Not too soon to improve the run (IMO). You can see huge run improvements in a 3-4 month period with frequency. You can ride outside all year, correct ?

yes

When I was 20-30 pounds heavier, every time i'd get over 25 mpw or so I'd get some soft tissue injury, usually calf related.  Lost weight and regular massages seems to have helped in that regard, and I've been [knock on wood] injury free for about a year and a half.  But IM trainng only got up to 30 mpw a couple times.

The first time I did the 100 run challenge because of frequency I saw big run improvements in about 3 months. Arend I believe saw some good improvements pretty quickly.

I looked back at my logs. The first time I did it, I wasn't much more than 30mpw
You have a decent base right now. I would personally build off that with frequency and continue massage and other preventative measures.

2013-10-29 6:24 PM

Extreme Veteran

I'm thinking of my nutrition plan for future racing (never done well at it in the past!)

Bryan is using water and gels, and that's it.

What do you guys think of that?

3 gels an hour with water sound about right?

What types of gels work for you?

When I live as much as possible off the course, it was cliff blocks, water and salt sticks. 4 cliff blocks per hour. HIM distance however.

That was Tremblant 70.3 nutrition.

Edited by marcag 2013-10-29 6:25 PM
2013-10-29 7:00 PM

Most of the race reports I've seen about NO 70.3 haven't been that good especially regarding the bike. One thing I remember is really rough roads and tons of bottles, tubes, CO2s launched. The only good note I remember is that running through the French Quarters for the run is exciting, but I'm sure you can search some race reports if you're seriously considering it.

For running improvments, I would simply focus on consistency and frequency rather than targeting a specific mileage. Use something like BarryP and the mileage will literally take care of itself. Because you will likely be targeting more volume than you have ever run before (for an extended period), there really is no point in setting a volume goal right now because you don't know how your body will adapt just yet. Maybe you'll do fine increasing 10% every other week, or maybe it might get to a point where it's 10% every 4 weeks. Just be consistent and work from there.

For me personally, running frequently is more a task of time management than anything else. Running is generally the shortest workout I have, with most runs being between 35-50 minutes. But with our busy lives it also makes them easy to skip or put off. Be good with time management and make running a priority in your life...those are the keys for me to stay on a run focus.

I think sub 5 is a great goal for you now Chris.
2013-10-29 7:07 PM

My gel of choice is power gels. I don't think I've ever had a problem with any type of nutrition...it's simply that I can order power gels by the box for the cheapest price... Their flavor and consistency seems more appealing as well. GU is a little too thick for my liking, but my stomach doesn't seem to care. Cliff gels are organic, and always seemed to taste funny to me.

I saw Bryan's post about using strictly gels and water, and avoiding sports drink. Like the saying goes...whatever works for you. I've yet to come across a type of nutrition that doesn't work for me yet. Maybe I just haven't raced enough or I'm just lucky. How much I take in is still a work in progress though.

2013-10-29 7:16 PM

Master
Northern IL

I'm thinking of my nutrition plan for future racing (never done well at it in the past!)

I try to do much like what Bryan does. Keep it simple. I don't know how some people manage 4-5 (or more) different items. Using Picky Bars instead as they've worked better for me, but would like to get back to gels as they're just so darn convenient. I may have some salt available as well, particularly if the race may be hotter.

Do know that not all gels are quite the same. A number do use 100 cal/packet, but PowerGel is 110 and Stinger is 120. Many seem to use 50 mg of sodium, but PowerGel uses 200. So 3/ hr could be a lot. More than I would try for. I have to be careful of flavors as most disagree. Also can not have caffeine. Some say to just get used to it, but these can have a very strong effect on my performance for quite some time after ingesting and I do feel the urge to heave it out. Have slowed down before doing so. It's not the same internal feeling as late in a short race.

2013-10-29 8:40 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
If you're not set on New Orleans (though with your friend already committed to it, it may be worth it), you could consider Galveston 70.3 in TX. It's also in April, also wetsuit legal (in a harbor, so ocean swim as well) and completely flat. April can be windy, but the way the course it set up, it's pretty much a cross wind the entire time, from what I've seen and experienced. And the long road you ride on is actually quite nice, imo.

And if previous years have proven anything, the first real day of summer is always IMTX, which is about a month and a half after Galveston, so you should be looking at fairly cool weather (that's not overly humid).

If I weren't racing St. George 70.3 in May, I would have strongly considered Galveston in April.
2013-10-29 11:32 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Got to see some of the kids club team before masters tonight, finishing with some 100's. One kid was coming in :55-56. I'd still be a full length behind him. Made it look so easy too.

2013-10-30 10:23 AM

Elite
Ontario

That's what I did 2 years ago at Muskoka.  I swore off sports drinks on the bike at HIM distance because I just couldn't stand the sweetness any longer.  So I moved to just water + gels in a gel flask.  I used GU cause I get a discount (but prefer powergels) and used Roctane for the extra caffeine on race day.  5-6 gels in the flask if I remember right.  I figured if I lost my flask along the way I could just grab gel packets on course and would be fine.  I also trained this way on a number of rides, and don't recall ever having any issues.

2013-10-30 10:25 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
Ontario

Called Garmin this morning and they confirmed my 910 is pooched.  Looks like both the altimeter and the accelerometer for swimming are both toast (although they coulnd't confirm the accelerometer part).  I'm within warranty so I need to send the unit to Quebec for an exchange.  I'm guessing this will be a refurb, but don't know for sure.

2013-10-30 10:56 AM

Master
, California

I almost do this.  Normally I'll start w/ 2 bottles of perpetuem on my bike (has sodium) and pick water or perform depending how I feel.  I have a small gel flask in my run bag, but everything else I use is off the course. 

IM Western Australia I went 100% off the course, but I was drinking their Gatorade on the bike because it was so hot out.  I've never used water + gel alone, but sometimes I alternate water with sports drink.

As for the gels, not all are the same, make sure you know how much sodium intake you're getting from them.  It might be zero.  And if you live off the course sooner or later you'll get a nasty one.  I flew by a bike aid station in Australia and tried to slam down one of their gels.  Yeaaaaa it was some kind of thick espresso thing.  In 105 degree weather.  Yech.

2013-10-30 11:14 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I've seen Bry make negative comments about sports drinks in several threads.  I'm sure he has valid reasons for personally not using them, but I don't quite understand that because if you're simply using gels with water, in the end isn't it all the same?  You need the water to dilute the gel so the end result is fairly similar to a sports drink isn't it?  Need to think about that some more and maybe I'll chat with him about it at the ST get together at IM AZ next month.  Looking forward to finally meeting him after all these years.

I don't have any issues with HIM nutrition strategies, and I pretty much rely only on sports drink (Gatorade or Perform).  But for those that have been around BT for a while you are probably well aware of my troubles with stomach shutdown issues during IM.  It has been one of the most frustrating things to deal with in my 35 year endurance sports career.  10 IM starts and 4 DNFs due to stomach issues.  At last year's IM M-T I was pulled off the course by the med staff with a measly 7+ miles to go on the run.  I might have been able to convince them to let me continue if I signed a waiver...and I actually signed a waiver at the med tent 2 miles previous to that!!!...but I knew that continuing would have been potentially unsafe (puking a ton and couldn't keep anything down).

For several years I was very casual about my approach to IM race nutrition.  Last year (after the 3rd DNF - IM Canada) I paid QT2 Systems to put together a race nutrition plan for me, which included the couple of days prior to the race.  They had me do a sweat test and based my race plan around that.  I practiced the plan a few times before the race but never had a chance to do a BIG training day to see if I could get by with it in an IM.  Anyway, I still ended up puking on the second run lap at M-T but I finished.  So, I used the same plan this year at M-T and ran into stomach issues a couple of miles into the second loop on the run.  I realize this problem can be a compound issue involving overcooking the bike and/or nutrition issues.  I really don't think I have ever over-cooked an IM bike, although I haven't raced with power to objectively analyze that.  I am fairly confident that I've done a poor job of keeping up on hydration and being a heavy sweater that is a recipe for disaster.  So, the experiment continues.  Jorge has recommended using boiled potatoes as part of an alternative to "synthetic" race nutrition and I may experiment with that in the next couple of weeks. 

Wow, sorry, I've gotten a little off-topic....anyway...QT2 developed a plan that involved using Perform, PowerGels, Power Bars, Clif Bloks, and S-caps.  Yes, my Dark Speed Works bento box and Fuel Belt pouches were jam packed prior to the race.  Clearly, that type of plan is at one extreme of the spectrum.  Its a PITA to keep track of the timing of when to take all of these products.  By next year Jorge and I will figure out an effective IM race nutrition strategy.  I know by the end of the bike all the sweet tastes is a real turnoff.  Having a strategy based on water, Powergels ( I like them a lot), real food and S-caps is something I want to develop.  I can tolerate GU but I don't like the paste-like consistency.

2013-10-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Originally posted by ligersandtions If you're not set on New Orleans (though with your friend already committed to it, it may be worth it), you could consider Galveston 70.3 in TX. It's also in April, also wetsuit legal (in a harbor, so ocean swim as well) and completely flat. April can be windy, but the way the course it set up, it's pretty much a cross wind the entire time, from what I've seen and experienced. And the long road you ride on is actually quite nice, imo. And if previous years have proven anything, the first real day of summer is always IMTX, which is about a month and a half after Galveston, so you should be looking at fairly cool weather (that's not overly humid). If I weren't racing St. George 70.3 in May, I would have strongly considered Galveston in April.

Thanks for the info, I am a little concerned about NO, but part of the "deal," as it were, would be to sell the race to my wife for a weekend destination.   No offense to Galveston, but NO holds the edge in that competition. 

2013-10-30 12:04 PM

I am also thinking about making some kind of change.  Administratively dealing with just water would be a huge benefit.  For me, 3 gels/hour would be fine, that's actually a little under what I shoot for with Infinit when you add 1 or 2 gels.  I'd likely have to supplement with salt pills if it were hot.  I hate the hammer gels, everything else seems to work fine for me.

Interesting thoughts here.  I found in Miami that I ddin't need that many calories to do OK, just needs some refinement.

And Shane and I are putting together a plan for a run focus this winter, so looking forward to seeing some improvements there.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.