BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-10 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

speaking of motivation, anyone remember this ad?  My all time favorite (even if it is for Nike):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2013-01-10 11:10 AM

2013-01-10 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4571888

User image

Expert
Ontario
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-10 11:50 AM
drfoodlove - 2013-01-10 7:01 AM

Does anyone else run with their dogs?  Got any hints/tips/tricks to make it more enjoyable?

I've tried, but it doesn't work.  He's a spazzy speed demon for about 1 mile, then is just done.  No understanding of pacing at all. Smile  I'm lucky that he never really barks at other dogs, but definitely distracts easily.  Squirrel!

The only time I'll bring him anymore is if the kids are coming with me, since they are good for about that same amount of time too, then they can play with him while I finish my run.

We had in the past a doberman and later a border collie, both would pull me all over the road until I put on their Halti collar, then they would heel beautifully and run whatever pace I set. Even when distractions appear you are in control of the dog with a halti collar.

2013-01-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4571924

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-10 12:06 PM

speaking of motivation, anyone remember this ad?  My all time favorite (even if it is for Nike):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

oh yeah, that one was a good one.  So true.

2013-01-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4571920

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-10 11:03 AM

Motivational stuff:

I know this doesn't really do anything to help on a day to day, get out of bed in the morning basis, but I can pretty clearly recall how awesome it felt to feel awesome.  If a friend invited me on a long mountain bike ride, I could just say yes, and not stress out about whether I'd be able to do it.  Same with running.  I'd meet a friend for lunch runs on occasion, something I wouldn't do right now.  Pick up basketball game?  no problem.  Skiing?  sure!  Anyway, I remember what that felt like, and it's what I want for my life.  That's my motivation.

And I KNOW from my experience of last year where I just sort of stopped without realizing it at the time that I need to do it every day.  No saying, "I'll just skip today (this week, this month), it will be fine."  One day became two.  Two became a year before I knew it!

So my motivation is simple.  This is what I do.  This is who I want to be.  It's not a decision that needs to be made right now, the decision was already made, now it's time to just do it.

Do you work for an ad agency? Wink  Nice.

2013-01-10 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I think the rest day was just what I needed - I feel a lot more energetic today & am heading out for my run. 5 on the plan, but will go shorter if I feel like that's what I need.

I have no swim motivation. I have a heckuva time getting myself in the water. I am a "box checker" though - I said I will swim 4 times this month, and I will so I can cross it off the list/check the box/whatever. It's silly, but it works for me. (I do it in my work/home life too.)
2013-01-10 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Ugh, another night where I didn't sleep, so no run this morning. I am so tired today that I don't know if I will be able to work up enough energy to run after work. I also had plans to spend a little time on the trainer tonight, so if I run I won't do that. Not interested in a brick workout, so my choices will be one or the other discipline or nothing. Right now I'm leaning toward nothing.Regarding running with your dog; I run mine 1 mile before all my runs. It kills two birds with one stone- his morning ( or evening) walk is done and I've warmed up a bit. It takes me a long time to warm up on my runs, so this is helpful.I don't run him longer because he will only go at the pace he wants which is usually slower than I want. If I'm in an area I can let him off lead, I will take him longer miles because I go at my pace and he makes sure to stay near by. The really frustrating thing is when I'm working hard and he zips passed me as easy as can be with a look on his face like this is so easy, try to keep up! So, he obviously can run faster than me for whatever distance he wants ( since he is a German shepherd that is a given), he just chooses not to when on a lead.

2013-01-10 6:04 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I used to run with my dog a bit.  She tires too quickly now.  She also has the "I'm a champ for a mile" attitude...

I had trouble, for a while, getting her to stop pulling on the leash or wandering towards interesting smells.  Somebody told me to do a 'crazy Ivan' (loved that movie) every so often and she'll learn to watch you.  Worked like a charm.  Of course, my neighbors think I'm crazy, but they had lots of reasons to believe that already.

2013-01-10 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4571957

User image

Elite
washington state

enders_shadow - 2013-01-10 9:18 AM I think the rest day was just what I needed - I feel a lot more energetic today & am heading out for my run. 5 on the plan, but will go shorter if I feel like that's what I need. I have no swim motivation. I have a heckuva time getting myself in the water. I am a "box checker" though - I said I will swim 4 times this month, and I will so I can cross it off the list/check the box/whatever. It's silly, but it works for me. (I do it in my work/home life too.)

Glad you listened to your body and are feeling better.  I, too, like to mark off my goals for the month.  I even make crosshatches to mark each run, etc.  The visual progress toward my goal helps.  So silly is just fine if it helps!

2013-01-10 6:40 PM

User image

Elite
washington state

I run with my German Shepherd most of the time.  I am not very fast, so she is pretty much just doing a trot. 

Pulling on the leash is not much of an issue unless she has not had enough exercise.  Sometimes I take her to an area where I can let her chase a ball and get the edge off of her energy and then take her with me for a run.  She knows "heel" but I prefer her to run in front of me, so she has learned commands like "out front"  and "easy".  She even knows left and right  and whoa because eventually I want her to try pulling a sulky. 

Anyway try working the edge off of your dog's energy before your run and it might go smoother.

2013-01-10 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
I tried running with our dog. He could do about 8 miles before his paws got sore. But like most of you I found that he distracted from the quality of my run so in the end I decided that I would just have to walk him, then run. I usually do that after breakfast so I'm not too full when I start running.

Regarding motivation I'm also a box checker. My training log on here has always really helped give me a visual representation of my achievements, so I tend to try to update it ASAP so that it reinforces the positive feeling of having completed the session.

In terms of external motivation, I love that Nike ad. I haven't seen it before. I always find Team Hoyt is a really good one for putting things in perspective (I'm on the iPhone so can't post a link, sorry). Every time I watch the video it makes me cry, but it also helps remind me that I might think I'm working hard, but that guy's doing it for two.
2013-01-10 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
And on the subject of checking boxes: I've achieved my goal for the first full week of January. I've done 2 each SBR this week. It's actually been a really good week because in addition to my mountain biking I've done a couple of time trials to establish my current levels.

I did a swim test on Sunday to get my critical swim speed (CSS), which is a time per 100m that I use for a lot of my sets. I've reduced that time by 2 seconds since the test last year, which I'm pleased about because my swim training recently has been maintenance at best.

And then on Wednesday we did a time trial at the track which will determine my running paces for the next couple of months. I did my last time trial at the beginning of November and have run a total of 4 times since then, of which 2 have been this year. And despite that I managed to take 34 seconds off my previous 3.2k time. Not sure how that happened, but I'm happy with it. It's also the first time I've ever come in faster than my husband in a time trial, although he was very quick to point out he wasn't really trying ;-)

2013-01-11 5:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Hey everyone and welcome Michael.  Sorry I've been awol for the last couple of days.  Been travelling for work.  It was nice to get some mileage done in sunny florida.  Just what the doctor ordered. 

I need to do some field testing for HR. I find it tough for me to stay in z1 and sometimes I'll look down at my watch and see myself in Z3 without thinking.  Need to be more disciplined on the easy runs and truly take them easy.

Fred, I know on motivation I always think about my long term goals and like others, how great it feels.  I try to schedule in my training such that it breaks up my day as well, so its something that I'm looking forward to.  I know not everyone has that luxury.  Lastly, I can get pretty grumpy when I don't get a planned session in, even if I don't feel like it.  So I tell myself to do it for my wife and kid

2013-01-11 6:24 AM
in reply to: #4573378

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-01-11 6:46 AM
2013-01-11 6:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-11 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4573419

Master
Orlando
Fred D - 2013-01-11 6:46 AMThanks for the thoughts on motivation.I'm pretty determined and will find my groove. Just finding things harder this month. Work is a part of that, but honestly what the real issue is that most things get 'stale' after awhile. The life cycle of a triathlete is a short one in the sense that the vast majority do not stick with it for more than a few years and vey few longer than 5 years. I joined the site in 2006 and there are almost no friends from my list then that are still with it. Usual pattern is start off enthusiastically and then do an ironman (or half) within a year or two. Then the slow fade starts. Then they leave the sport.I have a very strong will and love the training but have felt the pressure of the 'fade' with all of my injuries in the last few years.I'm curious to see what the group thinks of my thoughts here?How long have you been doing triathlon and have you had similar struggles?PS had a good trainer ride this am
I agree with your fade theory. This year is my 4 th year of triathlon and I've felt a bit of burn out trying to keep going, maintaining all 3 sports while also trying to have a life. Also, doing the same things over and over can get stale. That's one of the reasons I was excited to find TRX ( after Suzy pointed it out) as it changes things up. I will also do a Spartan race next month for the same reason - variety.On a different note, I got a bit more sleep last night than the night before, but still was a pretty poor night. On the plus side, since I was awake from 3 onward I had no trouble making my 6a masters swim!
2013-01-11 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4570098

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Welcome Michael.  

I was an adult - onset runner/triathlete myself.... Glad to have a 'common thread'

On the other hand.. IM and multiple HIM for you put you WAY out in front.   I'm looking forward to your input.

2013-01-11 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4570317

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Wow, this really is an edumacated group.   Lots of PROFESSORS and a DR or two.   WOW!

I see where the scientific approach this group is taking comes from -- and that's a WONDERFUL thing...

2013-01-11 10:36 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Then the slow fade starts. Then they leave the sport. I have a very strong will and love the training but have felt the pressure of the 'fade' with all of my injuries in the last few years. I'm curious to see what the group thinks of my thoughts here? How long have you been doing triathlon and have you had similar struggles? PS had a good trainer ride this am

I find that there is a similar fade....I think that's why I do short course racing.  I can keep more variety in my training with yoga and various strength/ fitness classes by not having as many LONG training days as the HIM/IM requires.  Even with short course races, sometimes it is hard to maintain the passion for the sport.  It is physically and mentally taxing to say the leaast. 

Off for a little lunch time run.

2013-01-11 11:52 AM

Champion

Fred D - 2013-01-11 6:46 AM Thanks for the thoughts on motivation. I'm pretty determined and will find my groove. Just finding things harder this month. Work is a part of that, but honestly what the real issue is that most things get 'stale' after awhile. The life cycle of a triathlete is a short one in the sense that the vast majority do not stick with it for more than a few years and vey few longer than 5 years. I joined the site in 2006 and there are almost no friends from my list then that are still with it. Usual pattern is start off enthusiastically and then do an ironman (or half) within a year or two. Then the slow fade starts. Then they leave the sport. I have a very strong will and love the training but have felt the pressure of the 'fade' with all of my injuries in the last few years. I'm curious to see what the group thinks of my thoughts here? How long have you been doing triathlon and have you had similar struggles? PS had a good trainer ride this am

I'm heading into my fifth year of triathlon and so far have kept the fade away.  First, I always have a BIG goal to shoot for.  When I was just a runner, that was Boston and it took me three long years to get there, but when things sucked and I wanted to slack off, I always thought about what it would feel like to see the Citgo sign and hit Boylston to the finish line.  In triathlon, I am finding it harder to achieve that BIG goal and know it won't be coming this year so I needed to come up with a few other things to keep me motivated.

1. I'm trying some new things in the off season like TRX to get me stronger and it allows me to work in a class with other people.  It's been a fun change of pace for me since I train alone 100% of the time.  I can already see payoff to my running and biking.  I also took a major step back in swimming working with a swim coach because I still really stink.  That has been hard, humbling, but I like the change. 

2. I'm fortunate to have a coach write my plans.   I get them delivered to me in TP every week.  I am excited to see what's in store for me based on the prior weeks work. Things are always tweaked so it's fresh.   I know that probably sounds totally weird, but it's like a weekly present.

3.  Every off season I am focusing on something different to improve (this year it's running, last year it was swimming--no pay off there-LOL!).

4.  My volume has reduced significantly each year while intensity increased.  Now I don't have to slog out a load of miles on trainer in the dead of winter.  I do something short and hard, suffer, improve and move on!

It's my long winded way of saying, changing things up frequently is what has worked for me.

2013-01-11 1:05 PM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Nothing like a little kid drama to throw me off of best laid plans...instead of running this morning, I was in the ER with daughter #2 - slammed hand in door...tissue glue & steri strips, nothing broken. And then, instead of swimming lessons tomorrow, she's benched for a week - which doesn't give me the opportunity to swim during her lesson (unless I get the mojo to get into the pool with my own self).

Best news is she's OK. Which at the end of the day is all that matters.
2013-01-11 1:48 PM

Fred D - 2013-01-11 2:46 AM I have a very strong will and love the training but have felt the pressure of the 'fade' with all of my injuries in the last few years. I'm curious to see what the group thinks of my thoughts here? How long have you been doing triathlon and have you had similar struggles? PS had a good trainer ride this am

Entering my 4th year and I have already questioned myself about how long I can keep "going the way I'm going."  I love training, but constantly grinding for races can be a bit stale as you mentioned.  My A race HIM is in early June, but I purposely made no plans after that...and I have already targeted a few races that I want to do "just for fun" because they never fit into my tight race schedule before.  A few OWS races we have (where there is no pressure to compete because I'll get smoked...LOL) and a the Xterra WC half marathon which is here in Hawaii.  I'll probably be the guy stopping to take pictures along the way for that race.

2013-01-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4574192

Expert

My first season was 2006, and last year was the first time I had any sort of fade. I am looking forward to making a bit of a comeback this year. I would say my biggest motivation is I keep having fun. I always enjoy running, and I always run outside regardless of the weather. If there is a little snow, I use "yaktrax" and slow down a little. I like that nobody can bother me, being outdoors, and how good I feel when I am running well. I also like knowing that most men my age can't do what I do.

I really like riding my bike. I am very lucky to have lots of beautiful roads, nice scenery, and not too much traffic. I've even found the drivers around here very courteous to cyclists. They are occasionally careless, but I've never had anyone be rude.

I have a little more trouble with swimming, but that's more a matter of actually getting to the pool and getting ready. Once I'm in the water, I am very happy.

The one thing I have trouble with is riding the trainer. I tried TV, but didn't like it. I listen to music and try to visualize races, but I still get bored. If anyone has any ideas, I am open to suggestions.

I'll keep going as long as I keep having fun. Maybe I'll get a chance to ride outside this weekend, which would really be a blast!!

Well, there's my motivation, but right now my biggest motivation is I'm worried that if I slack off at all, Judi is going to scold me!

2013-01-11 2:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Fred D - 2013-01-11 6:46 AM Thanks for the thoughts on motivation. I'm pretty determined and will find my groove. Just finding things harder this month. Work is a part of that, but honestly what the real issue is that most things get 'stale' after awhile. The life cycle of a triathlete is a short one in the sense that the vast majority do not stick with it for more than a few years and vey few longer than 5 years. I joined the site in 2006 and there are almost no friends from my list then that are still with it. Usual pattern is start off enthusiastically and then do an ironman (or half) within a year or two. Then the slow fade starts. Then they leave the sport. I have a very strong will and love the training but have felt the pressure of the 'fade' with all of my injuries in the last few years. I'm curious to see what the group thinks of my thoughts here? How long have you been doing triathlon and have you had similar struggles? PS had a good trainer ride this am

Fred, I'm feeling the same thing.  I think since I don't have a big A race scheduled this year, i'm kind of puttering about.  That's why i wanted to be in a group that emphasized consistency and to "re"-find the joy of being in a community.  Encouraging others, giving back to the sport.  I know some people that get the burnout and they just stopped for a year.  Volunteered at a bunch of races. Focused on running 10ks or half marys, did cyclocross or bike crits.  Just find something different.  

2013-01-11 2:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Did my FTP test on trainerroad.com today.  New FTP of 218.  Not sure how to take it.  When i was using the computer on my KK last year my FTP calculated doing Jorge's plan was in the 250s.  Plus it claimed i was going much "faster" in estimated speed than I am now.  Maybe I gave up more fitness than I thought I would the last quarter of 2012.  Mistake.  Oh well Move on.

Had an interesting episode this week.  I don't have any "known" food allergies, but I do know that i cannot eat clif bars because they make my throat lock up.  Feels tough to breathe, swallow, etc and then it subsides after about 5 minutes.  I was travelling for work and ate a Balance bar before jumping on the treadmill on wednesday.  Was maintaining a good pace around 8min/mi about 25 mins into my run when I started feeling the same symptoms as described above when I eat clif bars.  Only it got worse and then i had itching in my palms and legs.  Got some hives.  Super strange.  Had to lie down for about 15 minutes but then it all subsided. No more symptoms, good to go.  I know I should go see a doc, but should I start with saying I have a suspected food allergy? Describe the episode and let them decide the right course?  

2013-01-11 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4574300

Champion
japewang - 2013-01-11 2:57 PM

Did my FTP test on trainerroad.com today.  New FTP of 218.  Not sure how to take it.  When i was using the computer on my KK last year my FTP calculated doing Jorge's plan was in the 250s.  Plus it claimed i was going much "faster" in estimated speed than I am now.  Maybe I gave up more fitness than I thought I would the last quarter of 2012.  Mistake.  Oh well Move on.

Had an interesting episode this week.  I don't have any "known" food allergies, but I do know that i cannot eat clif bars because they make my throat lock up.  Feels tough to breathe, swallow, etc and then it subsides after about 5 minutes.  I was travelling for work and ate a Balance bar before jumping on the treadmill on wednesday.  Was maintaining a good pace around 8min/mi about 25 mins into my run when I started feeling the same symptoms as described above when I eat clif bars.  Only it got worse and then i had itching in my palms and legs.  Got some hives.  Super strange.  Had to lie down for about 15 minutes but then it all subsided. No more symptoms, good to go.  I know I should go see a doc, but should I start with saying I have a suspected food allergy? Describe the episode and let them decide the right course?  

That is really scary.  I'm no FRED (e.g doctor), but I would make that appointment asap.  Can you isolate a common ingredient between the cliff bar and the balance bar? ever happened when not eating these?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64