BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-06 3:12 PM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Hair Challenge
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

may I rejoin this group even though listed as closed. it is hard to find a better group for a 56 year old female with grey hair.
If i am permitted to rejoin, i would like to join challenge as well. i weighed myself yesterday and will begin recording workouts so i can report next sunday evening.

No worries Charlotte. Welcome back! We need to make sure James gets you on the list for the new weight loss/fitness challenge.

Steve

2014-01-06 3:50 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN
Originally posted by wsummerhill

So I have developed my training plan for January and February.  The only real specifics are Scott's swim sessions.  My runs just say recovery, speed, and my 'hill loop'.  My bikes are commuter oriented during the week and my group ride on Saturday.  There is a gap in January when we are headed out of town.

I'd be interested in some suggestions for speed run sessions.  My Thursday morning Luna Chix track workouts will not start until April so I'm in need of some inspiration for my Thursday runs.  

Also, some ideas for my morning commute other than what I have.  My evening commutes I do not try to get a real training session in --- as I am always reflecting on the day or getting a workout in battling a stiff headwind (this happens on about 50% of my rides).

I've yet to build in step back weeks or rest days.

Thanks!

Melanie,

I develop my speed in running through progression runs. I start out fairly easy then increase the speed throughout the run. It really helps to teach your body to run on tired legs. Also, I find it difficult to do intervals early in the season as the abrupt start/stop is hard on my body. Another good speed workout is to do "minutes". Do a warmup then do 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy and work your way up to 20. You can also do variations and do 2 minutes hard, 1 minutes easy. etc. Instead of concentrating on a specific pace work on effort.. Another way is to do hill repeats either outside or on the treadmill. Hills are "speedwork in disguise". They really help leg strength.

Hope this helps!

Melanie:

I agree with the comments from Wendy about being careful with intervals. It's so easy to over do it, especially early in the season. She's given you a few good ideas that are easy to incorporate into your standard run workouts that will work just fine. And hills really are fabulous for building strength.

But the bottom is to run faster you have to train faster. Not always...in fact once a week is probably fine.

I sure you can find lots of guidance online for setting the appropriate paces and interval distances. A big part of this will be determined by your training goals since workouts for short sprint races will look a lot different that intervals for a half marathon. Ultimately, shorter races will dictate shorter, more intense intervals while longer distances will focus on longer intervals at slightly slower paces.

One way to start is to begin thinking about three levels of pacing: training pace (easy pace you can maintain for miles), race pace (the pace you want to be able to hold when you race) and tempo pace (the pace that is faster than race pace and is comfortably hard to hold through the interval). Once you have this it's pretty straight forward to overlay the interval paces.

The rule of thumb I've used is for the average runner the easy training pace is probably 60-90 seconds per mile below my current race pace.....

In my case last season, I wanted to run my 5K triathlon/duathlon legs at about a 6:30-6:40 pace. So, I did a lot of mid week training runs (layered over a pretty solid fitness base) at 7:00-7:15. My weekly 10 mile long run was in the 8:15 range and a weekly track session had interval paces around 6:00-6:05 with a full recovery prior to starting the next interval.

Overall running fitness is huge part of it. I could tell you to go do intervals of 10 X 400, but if your fitness doesn't support this it's a silly recommendation.

So, I would put these questions to you:

1) What distance are you training for?
2) What is your currently level of fitness for the distance (can easily run this distance in training)
3) What is your race goal pace?
4) What is your current comfortable training pace?

Steve

2014-01-06 4:32 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
I won the Lottery Today!

My name was selected on the first round for this year’s Great Chesapeake Bay Swim. I knew this would happen, just found out last Friday that the daughter of good friends is getting married the day of the swim. It’s not black tie but it’s not wetsuit legal either so my spot will go to someone else.

I’ve started reworking my race and training for the year. The Bay swim was my major spring summer event. I’m still looking at stressing swims along with some sprint triathlons, a century bike ride and a few Aqua bikes at the Olympic distance maybe even a ½ IM Aqua Bike in the fall.

I’m off to Los Angeles for a 8 days next week. I’ll be able to do some swimming and running there, bike training will start when I get back
2014-01-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
welcome back Charlotte !

Thx for hip comments Melanie & Dave

I been doing hip exercises on a regular basis.....seems suspicious that after all this time the left one is still so weak.

A year ago the chiro guy said my weak hip was "torqued forward" and he fixed it. No more pain..but the weakness persists.
  • .Or maybe the good hip just got REally strong to compensate for the bad side...

• I may be underestimating how long it takes to "even out strength between sides" after getting adjusted..

I did spin class this morning. Teacher called for intervals of a 115 cadence......?? Do ya"ll really spin that fast on a trainer??

2014-01-06 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
    Falls Church
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--OPEN

So I have developed my training plan for January and February.  The only real specifics are Scott's swim sessions.  My runs just say recovery, speed, and my 'hill loop'.  My bikes are commuter oriented during the week and my group ride on Saturday.  There is a gap in January when we are headed out of town.

I'd be interested in some suggestions for speed run sessions.  My Thursday morning Luna Chix track workouts will not start until April so I'm in need of some inspiration for my Thursday runs.  

Also, some ideas for my morning commute other than what I have.  My evening commutes I do not try to get a real training session in --- as I am always reflecting on the day or getting a workout in battling a stiff headwind (this happens on about 50% of my rides).

Thanks!

Melanie, I develop my speed in running through progression runs. I start out fairly easy then increase the speed throughout the run. It really helps to teach your body to run on tired legs. Also, I find it difficult to do intervals early in the season as the abrupt start/stop is hard on my body. Another good speed workout is to do "minutes". Do a warmup then do 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy and work your way up to 20. You can also do variations and do 2 minutes hard, 1 minutes easy. etc. Instead of concentrating on a specific pace work on effort.. Another way is to do hill repeats either outside or on the treadmill. Hills are "speedwork in disguise". They really help leg strength. Hope this helps!

Thanks!  I have one playlist that will work for increasing speed over time!  We have lots of hills so hill repeats will be easy.

What I really have to do is learn deal with getting my HR up more regularly.

2014-01-06 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
    Falls Church

Originally posted by lutzman

Thanks!

Melanie, I develop my speed in running through progression runs. I start out fairly easy then increase the speed throughout the run. It really helps to teach your body to run on tired legs. Also, I find it difficult to do intervals early in the season as the abrupt start/stop is hard on my body. Another good speed workout is to do "minutes". Do a warmup then do 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy and work your way up to 20. You can also do variations and do 2 minutes hard, 1 minutes easy. etc. Instead of concentrating on a specific pace work on effort.. Another way is to do hill repeats either outside or on the treadmill. Hills are "speedwork in disguise". They really help leg strength. Hope this helps!
    Melanie: I agree with the comments from Wendy about being careful with intervals. It's so easy to over do it, especially early in the season. She's given you a few good ideas that are easy to incorporate into your standard run workouts that will work just fine. And hills really are fabulous for building strength. But the bottom is to run faster you have to train faster. Not always...in fact once a week is probably fine. I sure you can find lots of guidance online for setting the appropriate paces and interval distances. A big part of this will be determined by your training goals since workouts for short sprint races will look a lot different that intervals for a half marathon. Ultimately, shorter races will dictate shorter, more intense intervals while longer distances will focus on longer intervals at slightly slower paces. One way to start is to begin thinking about three levels of pacing: training pace (easy pace you can maintain for miles), race pace (the pace you want to be able to hold when you race) and tempo pace (the pace that is faster than race pace and is comfortably hard to hold through the interval). Once you have this it's pretty straight forward to overlay the interval paces. The rule of thumb I've used is for the average runner the easy training pace is probably 60-90 seconds per mile below my current race pace..... In my case last season, I wanted to run my 5K triathlon/duathlon legs at about a 6:30-6:40 pace. So, I did a lot of mid week training runs (layered over a pretty solid fitness base) at 7:00-7:15. My weekly 10 mile long run was in the 8:15 range and a weekly track session had interval paces around 6:00-6:05 with a full recovery prior to starting the next interval. Overall running fitness is huge part of it. I could tell you to go do intervals of 10 X 400, but if your fitness doesn't support this it's a silly recommendation. So, I would put these questions to you: 1) What distance are you training for? 2) What is your currently level of fitness for the distance (can easily run this distance in training) 3) What is your race goal pace? 4) What is your current comfortable training pace? Steve

I am not really good at editing this stuff so the post just keeps getting longer.

1) What distance are you training for?  10K.  This is pretty much my target distance.  Oly's are my favorite triathlon race distance and there is a sweet, flat 10K race with free beer, Dogfish beer to be specific, at the end in September. 

2) What is your currently level of fitness for the distance (can easily run this distance in training)?  I can easily do this distance.

3) What is your race goal pace? less than 8:00 min/mile

4) What is your current comfortable training pace?  Right now it is between 9:30-9:45 (no hills).  In a few weeks I should be back in the low 9's.  By April, I anticipate I will be able to hold an 8:30 pace for 10K.  It is getting to the next level that will be the challenge.

Thanks!  I will start plugging in some goal paces for my runs.

2014-01-06 6:59 PM
    in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Dublin, Ohio
    Melanie,

I didn't want to copy the entire post so here are some paces to target that Steve talked about:

Easy pace: 8:48-9:46
    Race pace: 7:58
    Tempo pace: 7:55-8:11
    800 meter pace: 3:31-3:41
    400 pace: 1:41-1:47

These all come from Greg McMillan's running site. He is a guru on targeting certain paces.

One thing you have to remember in running is that each run should have a purpose: speed, endurance, recovery, etc. You can't take recovery runs too fast or else you won't be able to hit your speed paces. My long run pace is 1 minute over my marathon pace and my recovery pace is easily 90 seconds over my marathon pace. The quality speedwork will be what makes you faster. It sure sounds like you are well on your way!

Steve, give your expertise too!
    2014-01-06 7:58 PM

User image

Regular

Melanie,

I didn't want to copy the entire post so here are some paces to target that Steve talked about:

Easy pace: 8:48-9:46
    Race pace: 7:58
    Tempo pace: 7:55-8:11
    800 meter pace: 3:31-3:41
    400 pace: 1:41-1:47

These all come from Greg McMillan's running site. He is a guru on targeting certain paces.

One thing you have to remember in running is that each run should have a purpose: speed, endurance, recovery, etc. You can't take recovery runs too fast or else you won't be able to hit your speed paces. My long run pace is 1 minute over my marathon pace and my recovery pace is easily 90 seconds over my marathon pace. The quality speedwork will be what makes you faster. It sure sounds like you are well on your way!

Steve, give your expertise too!

Those look like pretty good times to me....but to start I would think you'd want to be at the higher end...running an 800's at 3:40+/400's at 1:50 or so and gradually increasing the number of intervals and interval speed as you build fitness at pace.

So a starting workout might be:

1-1.5 mile warm up easy
    8 X 400 at 1:50
    1-1.5 cool.

If you take the longer warm up and cool down, you've got about a 5 mile training session. Nothing crazy, just getting your body adjusted to faster running. The key: if you can't run the 6th interval at the same pace as the 1st interval, you need to slow it down. But with a 10K focus, you'll want to gradually increase the intervals and move up to 800's vs. 400's.
    2014-01-06 8:33 PM
    in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by tkatzhyman

I’m off to Los Angeles for a 8 days next week. I’ll be able to do some swimming and running there, bike training will start when I get back

Tsvi -

Where to in L.A.?  Maybe we can meet up and do an OWS unless your gonna be out towards Santa Monica - that's hours away.  Just so you have something to look forward to - it was 75 and sunny today.  Not a cloud in the sky.

2014-01-06 8:39 PM
    in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by charlotte hobbs may I rejoin this group even though listed as closed. it is hard to find a better group for a 56 year old female with grey hair. If i am permitted to rejoin, i would like to join challenge as well. i weighed myself yesterday and will begin recording workouts so i can report next sunday evening.

Hi Charlotte -

Glad to see you back!

2014-01-06 8:42 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey James...this sucks. I go to all that work to layer on the pounds by eating everything in sight over the holidays and then you push the contest back one week? I set myself up perfectly. I dropped 2.5 pounds this week on top of 9.5 hours of training and was ready to bolt into an early lead.

Cie la vie.

Steve.

Ahhh! So the truth comes out!  You WERE sandbaggin'!!!  

No worries Steve, I suspect your training time will still consistently be at the top of the chart!

2014-01-06 8:49 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: ready..set...go

Originally posted by hoffsquared

Originally posted by dustytrails OKAY James....NOOOWWWW we start the contest. My mistake. Janet_ I like TRI POWER by Frediani for weight training ..(I had not done any in a while. Learning squats for first time.) Meagan ..Love your profile pic...artsy ! Bilateral hip weakness issue. I started my Chi Running. Ya speed comes easier..my lower legs felt better...was hard on my hips.... my Left hip is SO weak.....hard to do w/o's to help Left hip become as strong as the other side........ when I try to do extra rep's with weak side.....it is pretty sore and just really would rather not cooperate. Its not like I am going to stop running to rest the weak side however! I wonder if I should back off on my fav five mile fire road runs I do twice a week.

Not sure if this will help...but I do something called the Myrtl routine every weekday morning and also do a Lunge stretch routine.  I think the Myrtl routine has helped quite a bit with respect to keeping hip joints loose and also has strengthened my butt.  You will have to click on the Lunge Series link in the article to view the routine.  Both take about 7 minutes each so they are perfect for doing 1st thing in the morning.

I started doing these same warm-ups back in November.  I did them for about a week then had a somewhat forced layoff and a cold for a couple weeks.  Looking forward to really getting back to it and applying these.  Here is a link to the website I got all the information from - http://strengthrunning.com/2010/05/elite-core-and-dynamic-warm-ups-a-comprehensive-guide/.

2014-01-06 8:59 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: RE: ready..set...go

That made me remember, a couple of you have asked how the family is doing.  For those of you new to the group, our youngest son and his family were struck by a drunk driver in the first part of November.  Drunk was killed in the accident, son and daughter-in-law were seriously injured, grandkids, thank goodness, had only minor injuries.  Grandkids had been with us while Mom and Dad were in the hospital.  Mommy got home after only a couple days then went to her parents for a few weeks - she was only semi-ambulatory what with the cast  and all.  Our son had nearly a 6-week hospital stay and was released.  He is still recovering, but doing better each day.  Grandkids went back home to mom and dad the weekend before last.

Thanks to everyone that has asked.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-07 5:24 AM
    2014-01-06 10:36 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Thanks Scott,

I focused on reaching for the wall today and that helped me engage my lats in a way that I hadn't felt them before.

I've been doing flip turns for about 6 or 7 years, I can do them….but I slow too much heading into them.  Not sure why I don't maintain any speed going into them, but then again I am a pretty slow swimmer so it isn't like I am losing a lot of time due to a poorly executed turn.  I average 2:15-2:20/ 100 no matter what I do.

My swim background is weak at best.  My father taught me enough to keep me from drowning as a child.  I was 45 when I decided to start training for triathlons so that was when I had my first real swim lesson.  The fact that I "look" smooth is a miracle…but smooth has yet to = fast for me.

I saw the most recent issue of the USAT magazine advocated that triathletes incorporate  IM work in the off season.  I can do a decent back and something that resembles breast stroke (would be eliminated in a meet for sure!).  My fly is pretty bad, as in the guard needs to be on deck and ready to do CPR when I get done with even 50 yards of it.  Since Fly pull has that EVF needed in free I may force myself to incorporate more IM work no matter how much I hate it.

Opps!  My bad!  Sorry, I completely mis-interpreted what you were saying in your earlier post.

I still think doing a 'turn-drill' is a good idea, with a couple modifications.  We use to do turn drills at least once a month so nothing wrong with doing them.  For the next couple weeks, you might do it first thing after your warm-up.

The problem is that you are slowing down as you approach the wall to make your turn.  Maybe a lack of confidence with your turn?  Don't want to bang the heel of your foot (or worse) on the wall?  Yeah, I know, that hurts.  You can take some comfort in the fact that I still occasionally miss a turn and come up short or have the dreaded heal strike.  So, for the drill, take the wall out of the equation.  Push off, get up to full speed, and do a turn, yep - right there in the middle of the pool, and swim back to the wall.  Do that 3-4 times, then do your normal workout.  What that will do is give you confidence doing the turn at speed.  You would have just proven to yourself that you can do the turn at speed, so all that is left is adjusting your turn point to hit the wall properly.  Note where you begin your turn in relation to the 'T' and your set.  Do that every workout for the next week or two, then do it at least once a week after that for a few weeks or until you are very consistent with your turn.  Then do the drill once a month or so.  It is a good idea to occasionally focus on the fundamentals even though you are doing turns in every workout - the specific focus does help to keep things sharp.

As far as incorporating IM work into your workouts - there are pros and cons to doing so.  We can take the next hour and talk about the pluses and minuses and probably not be any closer to knowing which way to go.  I think, at the end of the day, it comes down to this - How much time do you have for swim workouts and are you training with a team and/or coach full time?  Your going to be swimming freestyle in a triathlon, so you need to be doing freestyle for the bulk of your workout.  When you get to the heaviest swim training days later in the season, that means 1-2 hours of freestyle per workout or more depending upon your race distance, 3-4 times per week.  If you want to add IM, it will be on top of that.  Next, butterfly is even more technically demanding than freestyle, so if you don't have a coach, it is going to be VERY difficult to learn to do it properly.  I can talk someone through freestyle, it is much more challenging to do the same with butterfly.  Breaststroke and backstroke are, technically, about the same as freestyle.  You can take time during your swim workout to learn strokes that you won't be using in competition, or you can devote your swim time to getting more efficient and faster at the stroke you are going to use.

I am a fan of getting the biggest bang for your buck in training and I am kind of old school in my approach to swim training.  I don't do a lot of drills and I rarely recommend anyone else do drills.  When I was putting in over 300,000 meters per month, I would kick MAYBE 500 meters per month.  I absolutely disagree with using fins EVER in a workout.  I think, to get better, a swimmer needs to swim what they are going to swim in a race, and swim a LOT of it.  When I was swimming in competition, I swam individual medley as one of my events, so I trained all four strokes.  Now, I swim in triathlons.  I only train freestyle.  I think everyone should have a 'go-to' safety stroke, but beyond that, I think, unless you have a great deal of time and more importantly, a coach, you should probably stick with freestyle.  I don't think the advantages outweigh the potential downsides.

I imagine there may be some different opinions so I would love to hear contrasting views.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-07 6:49 AM
    2014-01-07 5:53 AM
    in reply to: k9car363

User image

Dublin, Ohio
    Originally posted by k9car363

Tsvi -

Where to in L.A.?  Maybe we can meet up and do an OWS unless your gonna be out towards Santa Monica - that's hours away.  Just so you have something to look forward to - it was 75 and sunny today.  Not a cloud in the sky.

I am so hating you right now Scott! It is -12 here now! Yuck!
    2014-01-07 6:16 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Tsvi -

If it's any consolation, it is going to be unseasonably cool for southern California the next couple of days, I think it is going to drop all the way to 69 by Thursday.  Brrrrrrr. 

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-07 6:18 AM

2014-01-07 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
    Falls Church

Originally posted by wsummerhill Melanie, I didn't want to copy the entire post so here are some paces to target that Steve talked about: Easy pace: 8:48-9:46 Race pace: 7:58 Tempo pace: 7:55-8:11 800 meter pace: 3:31-3:41 400 pace: 1:41-1:47 These all come from Greg McMillan's running site. He is a guru on targeting certain paces. One thing you have to remember in running is that each run should have a purpose: speed, endurance, recovery, etc. You can't take recovery runs too fast or else you won't be able to hit your speed paces. My long run pace is 1 minute over my marathon pace and my recovery pace is easily 90 seconds over my marathon pace. The quality speedwork will be what makes you faster. It sure sounds like you are well on your way! Steve, give your expertise too!

Thanks!  I will get these targets into my training plan.  I will try to follow them.

2014-01-07 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
    Falls Church

So the big chill has hit the DC area.  No bike commute yesterday and today.  Erred on the safe side.  My face actually hurt by the time I got to the office after a 2 block walk from the parking garage.

2014-01-07 8:19 AM

User image

Master
    East Side of the Bay

Tsvi -

If it's any consolation, it is going to be unseasonably cool for southern California the next couple of days, I think it is going to drop all the way to 69 by Thursday.  Brrrrrrr. 

Guess you will breaking out the fur lined speedo!

2014-01-07 10:13 AM
    in reply to: dustytrails

User image

Expert
    Missouri

Originally posted by dustytrails welcome back Charlotte ! Thx for hip comments Melanie & Dave I been doing hip exercises on a regular basis.....seems suspicious that after all this time the left one is still so weak. A year ago the chiro guy said my weak hip was "torqued forward" and he fixed it. No more pain..but the weakness persists. ..Or maybe the good hip just got REally strong to compensate for the bad side... I may be underestimating how long it takes to "even out strength between sides" after getting adjusted.. I did spin class this morning. Teacher called for intervals of a 115 cadence......?? Do ya"ll really spin that fast on a trainer??

I've had issues with my left hip the last couple of years too.  The chiro's been able to fix it for me - hopefully it won't come back again.  He also had me work with a personal trainer for a short time - working on strengthening my hips and lower body. 

I can't hit 115 cadence on the trainer.  My plan yesterday called for increasing cadence up to 120 - I could only get up to 110 and that was only for a couple of seconds at a time.  My legs just don't go that fast.

2014-01-07 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
    >

I absolutely disagree with using fins EVER in a workout.  I think, to get better, a swimmer needs to swim what they are going to swim in a race, and swim a LOT of it.  When I was swimming in competition, I swam individual medley as one of my events, so I trained all four strokes.  Now, I swim in triathlons.  I only train freestyle.

Hey Scott:

Your comments on fin training are interesting. My tri coach lays in kick drills with fins every single swim workout. And I would dutifully do them.

When I got a swim specific coach last year (she is the coach for the local youth and HS swim teams) she basically pooh-poohed the whole idea of swimming with fins for triathletes. She pretty much echoed what you state above: "practice what you're going to race." In fact, when I asked her about it she said something to the effect that she sees all these self-trained triathletes in the pool doing kick drills with fins on a regular basis, essentially wasting their time.

In fact, in my case she pretty much told me not to skip the kick drills completely. This was based on a few factors....first, I have limited time at the pool, so she wanted me focusing my training time on the things that would provide the most benefit. Second, she said my kick was already pretty strong, so the upside was not that great anyway. Third, she said if I'm in wetsuit legal races the importance of the kick is even less.

She essentially had a few recovery drills for me to use to allow my upper body to recover during workouts that included some kicks and alternate strokes, but fin training was only used when she wanted me to get the feel for fast swimming (like it feels for you all the time).

The end result is my tri coach still puts in kick segments into my swim workouts and I ignore them.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-01-07 10:22 AM

2014-01-07 10:28 AM
    in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Expert
    Missouri

Big chill here too.  High yesterday was -3*F.  Today we're supposed to get into the teens but at least the wind has dropped.  I'm home from work again today (college has been closed due to weather and road conditions).  My upper back is sore today.  Not sure if it's from the workout yesterday or the 30' I spend shoveling snow - probably a combination of the 2. 

2014-01-07 10:55 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Dogpaddle 2014-01-07 10:57 AM
    2014-01-07 11:54 AM
    in reply to: Dogpaddle

Royal(PITA)
    West Chester, Ohio

Scott,

I avoid using fins because they irritate my achilles too much --ever since the gastrocs injury a few years ago my achilles are very sensitive and my first indicator to QUIT anything.  Once in a while I will use my Zoomers for a short kick set or other drills....mostly I use my swim paddles from Finis over a lot of those swim drills because I found while I could "do" the drills fairly well that never translated into my actual swim.  Why spend 300-400+ yards doing things that don't really change how my stroke works?

2014-01-07 1:49 PM

Regular
    Newport News
    Scott,

Will be out to see my mom. She' lives with my brother in Sherman Oaks. You're down in Riverside? Travel distances are big out west. I Be doing any swimming at the Department of Recreation Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks pool. It's 21 here today can't wait.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
    Views: 18754 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : October 24, 2012
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 3
    I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 1
    Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
    date : December 4, 2007
    author : EndurancePlanet
    comments : 0
    She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
    author : R_Laberje
    comments : 14
    Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
    date : February 8, 2007
    author : MegL
    comments : 25
    No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
    author : pjsuperhawk
    Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
    date : October 3, 2004
    author : scuba-punk
    He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : malvey
    Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.