BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-01 10:38 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Well, I made it around the mountain. What an experience!

It took about 10 hours and was the hardest running I've done it my life. I think it ended up being between 34-36 miles (there was a reroute of the trail due to erosion) and 6-7k of elevation gain.

Unfortunately I was pretty sick during the run but I decided to do it anyway because I didn't see another opportunity opening up in the near future. So I toughed it out. My heart rate was through the roof on the ascents.

Some of you have seen these but here are a few photos:

I almost feel like I should do a race report to share the adventure. Or maybe just a write-up 

2015-06-01 10:41 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It took about 10 hours and was the hardest running I've done it my life. I think it ended up being between 34-36 miles (there was a reroute of the trail due to erosion) and 6-7k of elevation gain.

Unfortunately I was pretty sick during the run but I decided to do it anyway because I didn't see another opportunity opening up in the near future. So I toughed it out. My heart rate was through the roof on the ascents.

I almost feel like I should do a race report to share the adventure. Or maybe just a write-up 

Wow, that is awesomeness!!  You should do a write up.

2015-06-01 10:46 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

TOTAL AWESOMESAUCE!!!

Matt - great pics too
2015-06-01 10:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

You definitely should. The place, the process, and you are GLORIOUS.

2015-06-01 11:18 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I think I may have found next years race. That bike course looks amazing :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlsGSkPk3qI

That race has been on my wish list for a while.  A co-worker of mine vacations there regularly and says it is wonderful.  Parts of it look a lot like the Kona area. 

2015-06-01 11:32 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Wow.  That is stunningly beautiful terrain.  What an amazing adventure.

That looks like it would be a good alternative to the Wonderland trail or at least a good buildup.  Is there one trail route or did you piece multiple trails together?  Was it well marked and did you ever feel uncertain which way to go?  Did you need any type of permit?  I have a friend that is training for a 50 mile trail race that I might be able to talk into doing this with me.  I'm looking for something epic in late August to replace the ultra I've done the last two years.  

Thanks for the pictures and sharing your experience with us. 

2015-06-01 12:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

Wow.  That is stunningly beautiful terrain.  What an amazing adventure.

That looks like it would be a good alternative to the Wonderland trail or at least a good buildup.  Is there one trail route or did you piece multiple trails together?  Was it well marked and did you ever feel uncertain which way to go?  Did you need any type of permit?  I have a friend that is training for a 50 mile trail race that I might be able to talk into doing this with me.  I'm looking for something epic in late August to replace the ultra I've done the last two years.  

Thanks for the pictures and sharing your experience with us. 

There is one trail but you need an access trail (which there are several options all the way around the mountain

It's relatively well marked and pretty straightforward, however, if you had to do any of it in the dark there would be some challenges. You do not need a permit. There are some extensive lava fields/boulder fields that you need to navigate which can be extremely hazardous. Twist an ankle there and you and your running partner are going to be in for a VERY challenging exit. Likely a helicopter ride.

If you decide to do it, realize this is VERY difficult and should not be taken lightly. There are minimal water sources and the trail is nearly 100% exposed to the elements (likely sun.) I imagine by August the water situation will be a real problem considering the drought. 

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/loowit

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-06-01 12:41 PM
2015-06-01 12:48 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Do a report - I'd love to read it!!  It doesn't look possible to run in some of those areas, like the scree field.  What an amazing accomplishment.  Definitely one for the books!!!

2015-06-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Crap - those looked like thumbnails on my computer!  Sorry for the big pictures. 

Matt

Never apologize for posting hot sweaty pics in tight skimpy clothing. This is excellent.

What Yanti said!

2015-06-01 12:50 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Hi my name is Troy. A honest job has kept me from keeping up with all the news. But doing a trail 5k and then a inflatable 5k with my boys later in the morning. It's going to be fun. Cheers and good karma to all!!

Hi Troy!!  Thanks for coming out of hibernation (the bear in your avatar).   Hope you had fun with the kiddos at your race.

2015-06-01 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Gorgeous!

Speaking of Gorgeous, I'm sorry that you were not 100% for this and I hope that you are feeling better now!

2015-06-01 12:52 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

You definitely should. The place, the process, and you are GLORIOUS.

TOTALLY what she said!  Wow, so incredible.

2015-06-01 12:55 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't know if any of you ever read short form fiction but if you do, you might want to check out The Walk of Nameless Ridge by Hugh Howie -- sort of Into Thin Air meet Ursula LeGuin.

2015-06-01 12:55 PM

User image

Master

We had a beautiful trip up Casner Mountain Trail (permit only, 10 vehicles/week) to a valley overlook in the Coconino National Forest. Amazing views!

Unfortunately, Mak went from congested to gasping for air in 24hrs. Got home yesterday afternoon, and by 3:15 we were headed to urgent care, where the doc gave 3 breathing treatments with no result. Her chest and diaphragm were contracting so hard he was afraid her muscles would give out. So he called an ambulance for a trip to ER. Little body on that big stretcher   Chest x-ray, 5 albuterol doses and a steroid by IV = severe case of croup.  By 8pm she was looking better and smiling. Home around 9:30. T never had croup, and neither had she. Way to scare mom and dad! My stomach is still rolling a bit.

(20150530_153031.jpg)

(20150531_093632.jpg)

(FB_IMG_1433171890085.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150530_153031.jpg (95KB - 2 downloads)
20150531_093632.jpg (50KB - 3 downloads)
FB_IMG_1433171890085.jpg (26KB - 3 downloads)
2015-06-01 12:59 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmkizer

Gorgeous!

Speaking of Gorgeous, I'm sorry that you were not 100% for this and I hope that you are feeling better now!

Sadly the run set me back. I took yesterday off from running (which was planned) but I am taking today as well. My symptoms have gotten significantly worse and I am being sent home from work So, I will take as many days off as needed because I don't want to make this any worse.

2015-06-01 1:00 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

We had a beautiful trip up Casner Mountain Trail (permit only, 10 vehicles/week) to a valley overlook in the Coconino National Forest. Amazing views!

Unfortunately, Mak went from congested to gasping for air in 24hrs. Got home yesterday afternoon, and by 3:15 we were headed to urgent care, where the doc gave 3 breathing treatments with no result. Her chest and diaphragm were contracting so hard he was afraid her muscles would give out. So he called an ambulance for a trip to ER. Little body on that big stretcher   Chest x-ray, 5 albuterol doses and a steroid by IV = severe case of croup.  By 8pm she was looking better and smiling. Home around 9:30. T never had croup, and neither had she. Way to scare mom and dad! My stomach is still rolling a bit.

Oh man, so scary!!!

Glad she is better already! Sheesh.

2015-06-01 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Gorgeous!

Sadly the run set me back. I took yesterday off from running (which was planned) but I am taking today as well. My symptoms have gotten significantly worse and I am being sent home from work So, I will take as many days off as needed because I don't want to make this any worse.

Oh no!  Take care!

2015-06-01 1:08 PM

User image

Master

Gorgeous!

Followed your run by IG, of course. Beautiful.

Sorry things worsened. Kinda bound to happen with that much exertion while system is already down.  Rest..rest...rest!

2015-06-01 1:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Oh man, so scary!!!

Glad she is better already! Sheesh.

Definitely NOT the way to end such a cool trip.  Clearly severe croup is nothing to play around with.  Glad you got her promptly taken care of.  Love the picture of the little punkin' smiling in the hospital bed.  Even when things are bad, she bounces back so fast!

2015-06-01 1:10 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Gorgeous!

Oh no!  Take care!

Definitely!!  Rest up, friend, and feel better soon.

2015-06-01 1:11 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by tcarlson78 Hi my name is Troy. A honest job has kept me from keeping up with all the news. But doing a trail 5k and then a inflatable 5k with my boys later in the morning. It's going to be fun. Cheers and good karma to all!!

Hi Troy!!  Thanks for coming out of hibernation (the bear in your avatar).   Hope you had fun with the kiddos at your race.

+1.  Good to see you're still alive and kicking after the long winter.  Are you implying we don't have honest jobs?

2015-06-01 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So glad she's better and that you all got to enjoy the trip before getting sick.

My boys never got it either. Nasty stuff.

2015-06-01 1:44 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I think I may have found next years race. That bike course looks amazing :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlsGSkPk3qI

That climb! Those views!

2015-06-01 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Gorgeous!

Followed your run by IG, of course. Beautiful.

Sorry things worsened. Kinda bound to happen with that much exertion while system is already down.  Rest..rest...rest!

I showed the IG pix to DH. He decided we (manatees) are all the same brand of crazy.

2015-06-01 1:53 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

URGH how scary!

She's a trooper though!! Glad she's feeling better!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68404 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29147 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.