Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by Asalzwed

My upcoming two weeks have an interesting racing schedule:

Next Saturday Oct 12 I have a 6K XR race (high priority)

Sunday Oct 13 will be a 10K (totally just for fun, low priority)

Following Saturday Oct 19 6K XC (high priority)

What I have done is built up my base, keeping two quality days, peaking this week, and then plan to pull back (maybe 20%?)  for the next two weeks for the races. Depending on how I feel, I will ramp back up following my last race.

It's too late to change anything now but I am curious what you guys think.

I think you're pretty fast and very talented!

(the schedule looks fine to me, but taper tweaking needs to be very individualized, as does how many Q sessions you can handle---you youngsters can handle 2 or 3 per week, and old fellas like me get one or two-max; The books say the best 'supercompensation takes 1-2 weeks minimum, so a 20% taper with the last hard session, your 6K race, 2 weeks prior, sounds good...I think there was a section on racing and using race efforts as Q workouts, but I'm at work and don't have the book with me...my patients would probably not be too keen on that )

Good luck at your races.

2013-10-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by dtoce

What I have done is built up my base, keeping two quality days, peaking this week, and then plan to pull back (maybe 20%?)  for the next two weeks for the races. Depending on how I feel, I will ramp back up following my last race.

I think you're pretty fast and very talented! (the schedule looks fine to me, but taper tweaking needs to be very individualized, as does how many Q sessions you can handle---you youngsters can handle 2 or 3 per week, and old fellas like me get one or two-max; The books say the best 'supercompensation takes 1-2 weeks minimum, so a 20% taper with the last hard session, your 6K race, 2 weeks prior, sounds good...I think there was a section on racing and using race efforts as Q workouts, but I'm at work and don't have the book with me...my patients would probably not be too keen on that ) Good luck at your races.

WHy thank you, sir.

Yeah, I am ballparking the 20% reduction, too. I'm just going to see how it goes. Sort of considering next week as the trial and then tweak/repeat the second week.

I'll let you all know how it goes. You know, for reference in case any of you decide to do a crazy multi-week/multi-race schedule. Smile

2013-10-04 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I had a pretty crazy month of racing in May during tri season:

May 18 - Memphis in May Sprint 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile road bike, 3 mile run

May 19 - Memphis in May Olympic

May 25 - Soak up the Sun super sprint - 200m swim, 8 mile bike, 2 mile run

June 1 - Heatwave Classic - 1/2mile swim, 40k bike, 10k run

I kind of prioritized the weekends like you did.  My training block heading into May next year will be much harder.  It takes a lot to get through that much racing.

2013-10-04 4:18 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by msteiner

I kind of prioritized the weekends like you did.  My training block heading into May next year will be much harder.  It takes a lot to get through that much racing.

That's pretty intense! But you are planning on doing it again??

My full schedule is:

October 12: WWU Classic XC
October 13: Apple Cup Rivalry 10K
October 19: Emerald City Open XC
November 3: PNTF Champs XC
November 16: Mustache Dache 5K
November 23: PDX Regional Champs XC
December 14: Club Nationals XC

2013-10-04 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by msteiner

That's pretty intense! But you are planning on doing it again??

My full schedule is:

October 12: WWU Classic XC
October 13: Apple Cup Rivalry 10K
October 19: Emerald City Open XC
November 3: PNTF Champs XC
November 16: Mustache Dache 5K
November 23: PDX Regional Champs XC
December 14: Club Nationals XC

Oh yeah! It was a blast!  That, and I love racing too much.

That looks like a lot of fun racing too.  Hope you got a sponsorship with Endurox

2013-10-06 10:05 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, gang, a couple of things I thought I'd comment on as I sit here with ice on my leg and anti-inflammatories on board trying to get caught up on my JD. 

pg 94 JD is talking about form and cadence and says "Imagine that you're running over a field of raw eggs and you dont want to break any of them--run over the ground, not into it. Try to get the feeling that your legs are part of a wheel that just rolls along, not two pogo sticks that bounce along."  Love this.  Super helpful imagery.  I know the wheels rolling along feeling, but I also know I'm not always in that zone on my runs--sort of like when you're swimming and you realize your stroke is short and choppy and inefficient--I know that happens sometimes when I'm running, or I notice it when I'm struggling on a run.  Anyway,  I'm going to try to use the idea of running over the ground rather than into it to see if this can help break that feeling when it creeps up.

pg 116 Another thing I though was cool was his discussion of breathing rhythms.  This isn't something I've ever paid attention to. He suggests that all easy runs should be at least a 3:3. That if it's not a #:3, it's not easy. "You might prefer a 2:2 on an easy run, but you should be able to go 3:3, if necessary, if for no other reason than to prove it's an easy run." This will be a really good feedback loop to help me keep it easy.  

Lazy Sunday reading :)

2013-10-06 9:56 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
The race Saturday went perfectly.  Felt great at 20 miles and finished strong.  Beat my goal by 20 minutes.  Thanks for all your help.
2013-10-06 10:07 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by popsracer The race Saturday went perfectly.  Felt great at 20 miles and finished strong.  Beat my goal by 20 minutes.  Thanks for all your help.

BY 20 MINUTES?!?!

Oh, Steve, that is AWESOME!

Congratulations

2013-10-06 11:09 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by popsracerThe race Saturday went perfectly.  Felt great at 20 miles and finished strong.  Beat my goal by 20 minutes.  Thanks for all your help.
That's fantastic!!!!!!! I am so glad to hear that. Hellz yeah, Steve!
2013-10-06 11:19 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer The race Saturday went perfectly.  Felt great at 20 miles and finished strong.  Beat my goal by 20 minutes.  Thanks for all your help.

Wow, awesome!  Congratulations.

2013-10-07 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by popsracer

The race Saturday went perfectly.  Felt great at 20 miles and finished strong.  Beat my goal by 20 minutes.  Thanks for all your help.

Great race Steve!
Can't wait for the details...

2013-10-07 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

w00t!!!!  Awesome job, Steve.

2013-10-07 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by switch

OK, gang, a couple of things I thought I'd comment on as I sit here with ice on my leg and anti-inflammatories on board trying to get caught up on my JD. 

pg 94 JD is talking about form and cadence and says "Imagine that you're running over a field of raw eggs and you dont want to break any of them--run over the ground, not into it. Try to get the feeling that your legs are part of a wheel that just rolls along, not two pogo sticks that bounce along."  Love this.  Super helpful imagery.  I know the wheels rolling along feeling, but I also know I'm not always in that zone on my runs--sort of like when you're swimming and you realize your stroke is short and choppy and inefficient--I know that happens sometimes when I'm running, or I notice it when I'm struggling on a run.  Anyway,  I'm going to try to use the idea of running over the ground rather than into it to see if this can help break that feeling when it creeps up.

pg 116 Another thing I though was cool was his discussion of breathing rhythms.  This isn't something I've ever paid attention to. He suggests that all easy runs should be at least a 3:3. That if it's not a #:3, it's not easy. "You might prefer a 2:2 on an easy run, but you should be able to go 3:3, if necessary, if for no other reason than to prove it's an easy run." This will be a really good feedback loop to help me keep it easy.  

Lazy Sunday reading

RE:  running on eggshells.  I also love that imagery.  During my "long" run on Saturday I was starting to get a little sluggish and I just thought "light feet" and that broke the downward spiral.  I have a REALLY hard time swallowing the 90 strides per minute...it's been a struggle for me to get up to the high 70s until my pace really picks up.  Even in an all-out 5K kick I'm not above 90.  I mean, I am 6'3" and all legs but I've pretty much bagged the whole focus on cadence.

RE:  breathing patterns...like you I've never given it much thought, other than "I need to breathe more because I'm getting tired."  I do know I have basically two breathing "gears", but I never counted strides or anything.

2013-10-07 8:34 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I have a follow-up question that relates to Adrienne's taper question.  I'm racing a 5K Saturday that is my A+, want-to-crush-my-PR fall race.  I've been running 5x/week (logs are up to date) plus throwing in some easy cycling and some ST sessions.  I've doing 2 Q workouts per week (a tempo session and either an "I" or "R" session) plus a longish run as well, building to about 18 mpw last week.

Now that the background is out of the way, here's the question:  How do I taper for this?

My thought is easy run Monday, short tempo run Tuesday, a couple of short cruise intervals Wednesday, light jogging Thursday, and then take Friday off (though I might do a short cycling workout to get loose).  Maybe, I dunno...10 miles total?

I know "the hay is in the barn" as far as improvement is concerned, but I want to keep the legs sharp without overdoing it.

2013-10-07 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Dang I wish I could beat my goal by 20 minutes.  I'd have to take a trip to Boston.

2013-10-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I have a follow-up question that relates to Adrienne's taper question.  I'm racing a 5K Saturday that is my A+, want-to-crush-my-PR fall race.  I've been running 5x/week (logs are up to date) plus throwing in some easy cycling and some ST sessions.  I've doing 2 Q workouts per week (a tempo session and either an "I" or "R" session) plus a longish run as well, building to about 18 mpw last week.

Now that the background is out of the way, here's the question:  How do I taper for this?

My thought is easy run Monday, short tempo run Tuesday, a couple of short cruise intervals Wednesday, light jogging Thursday, and then take Friday off (though I might do a short cycling workout to get loose).  Maybe, I dunno...10 miles total?

I know "the hay is in the barn" as far as improvement is concerned, but I want to keep the legs sharp without overdoing it.

I will be curious to hear how the more experienced runners answer this.  I know there are different schools of thought on tapering...

It really seems l like tapering success is very individual.  What have you tried in the past, and what has worked the best?

Edited by switch 2013-10-07 11:27 AM

2013-10-07 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I will be curious to hear how the more experienced runners answer this.  I know there are different schools of thought on tapering...

It really seems l like tapering success is very individual.  What have you tried in the past, and what has worked the best?

Well, I really don't have a frame of reference on this one, because I've never (well, not since high school anyway) 1) focused on a race this short, or 2) tapered for a race this short, say, in the middle of training for something else.  For HMs and sprint tri's where you're talking 90 min to 2 hours of racing I usually back off the volume about 50%, and generally take two days off completely in the taper week, including the day before the race.  But for "just" a 5K...I'm not so sure the big drop in volume is needed.  I guess we'll find out.  Cool

2013-10-07 11:58 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Well, I really don't have a frame of reference on this one, because I've never (well, not since high school anyway) 1) focused on a race this short, or 2) tapered for a race this short, say, in the middle of training for something else.  For HMs and sprint tri's where you're talking 90 min to 2 hours of racing I usually back off the volume about 50%, and generally take two days off completely in the taper week, including the day before the race.  But for "just" a 5K...I'm not so sure the big drop in volume is needed.  I guess we'll find out.  Cool

Like Switch said tapering is very individual.  Some like to keep some pretty high intensity with reduced volume, some like to just keep the legs loose with light work.  Some people will feel sluggish if they rest too much.  I think over the long run it is a trial and error thing.

Given your training workload, I'm sure you are very fit for the distance and I would not be worried at all about anything other then making sure any minor muscular training fatigue or stress adaptations have had an opportunity to repair.  I think what you have laid out is reasonable.  The only thing I'd consider changing is maybe rest on Thursday if you feel you need it and do some very light, short running with a few strides on Friday.  Some people (including me)  feel a little sluggish after a full day off. 

2013-10-07 12:30 PM

User image

Seattle

Aren't you one of the most experienced runners in here? 

2013-10-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

as noted-taper is very individual and you should know what works pretty well for you by now...and get enough sleep and eat well etc
with multisport, there is more of a challenge...

that said-for me, the rules of taper are:

-do not put any fatigue into your legs during the one week before the race, as the goal is to allow compensation/supercompensation, so no long workouts that would not allow more than full recovery-no LR's, no long bikes and no usual, hard workouts (an abbreviated tempo or rep workout is ok, but no intervals)

-back off on total running volume to allow more recovery than you think you need-(people throw various numbers out there 20%, more?), we runners think we're invincible, but more recovery is better during taper-nothing within the last week or so will positively impact your race from a training benefit so do as little as you need to maintain fitness without hurting yourself for the race

-doing a few strides a day or two before the race and a light, tempo type workout midweek, or whenever you're sure you'll maximally recover is ok

This is a summary of my usual taper:

-very few miles for 2 days pre 5K race-I usually take one of them off and do a few miles with strides the other-then do my usual 5K warmup on race day; I try to do some tempo, but much fewer than a real workout and much lower volume than usual ~4 days pre-race; for 5K's I usually do this as a mini progressive tempo session like 4x800 M-turning the screws and making each one faster, but with full recovery so I didn't put too much fatigue in the legs for race day, and not so fast to turn it into a interval session-I want a confidence builder

so, my training might look like this for a 25mpw 'base' w 5 runs/week -usually with a medLR of 7 mi once the weekend before, three 5 milers(one w tempo, one w strides), and one rec 3 miler=S-7/M-off/T-5wstr/W-tempo/R-3-rec/F-off/Sa-5wstr or reps

during taper week, I'd probably keep my usual 7 miler on Sun (6 days out would not hurt at all), I'd keep my 'off' day on Monday, take Tues off (instead of running an easy 5miler w strides), do the minitempo workout on wed 5 miles total w 2 at tempo 4x800M, Thurs-i'd do my 3mi 'recovery', friday 3 w 5or6 strides; sat-off; sunday-5K race!

one man's opinion

Edited by dtoce 2013-10-07 1:04 PM
2013-10-07 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Lazy Sunday reading

Ice is our friend, Switch!

I love the drills and usually go back to the basics in the fall-every year. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts when I'm doing 'fast feet ,'butt flicks' or 'high knees ' drills down the street. Oh, and when I do Lydiard bounding, I'm sure they outright laugh at me...

If you pay attention to your breathing, you might notice 2 things that I've noticed:
1)when you hit your 'warm up' and get your second wind, for me about 8-10 minutes into the run, my legs feel looser and my breathing becomes a bit easier-this is easier to notice when running on completely flat terrain-it just feels like I'm taking a bigger breath than during the first 8 minutes or so
2)your breathing can settle into certain patterns even when running easy-for me, to keep the pace easy, and not recovery, I need to keep my breathing at 2:2 and my cadence at 90/leg/min--if I'm breathing 3:2 or slower, I'm going at closer to recovery pace, not easy, so if I'm truly recovered then I need to pick it up a bit and get to that 2:2 breathing and not dog it too much

Hope your leg feels better soon!

2013-10-07 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm probably the most experienced at doing it wrong...
2013-10-07 2:53 PM

User image

Seattle

I'm probably the most experienced at doing it wrong...

lol ok, thanks for the clarification Smile You should get a slow clap for that.

Nahhhh, it's just so individual so I hesitate to answer.

Dale gave a lot of good information that you can use as a guide.

2013-10-07 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

For tapering, I have a half marathon weekend that will dictate how the rest of my marathon training is paced.  Seeing that my body reacted so well to the recovery weeks in my plan, I'm trying that out as my taper for this week.  Basically it's similar to my regular training week, just with a lot easier pace (but still some fast stuff) and less volume.

I'll take Friday off though, since the race is Saturday.  

2013-10-07 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So I'm having some additional reflection on how I've been "doing it wrong" for so many years.

pg 118

A few words of caution regarding how often to repeat identical workouts and monitor progress in a particular type of threshold workout: It's human nature that runners often want to see progress in their workouts and sometimes try to perform a particular workout at faster and faster speeds over the course of a fairly short period of times.  Trying to compete against yourself in this way in inadvisable.;  It doesn't conform to the principle of letting your body react and adjust to the particular type of stress before increasing the amount of stress.  It's better to perform the same workout quite a few times at the same speed, or until race performance indicates that you've reached a higher level.

Haha.  Oh, is that how I should be doing it?  Greeeeeeeeeat.

I just thought it might be important for someone else besides me to have this reiterated, maybe printed off, posted on the mirror in the bathroom, or something...

I think when I was younger I could really get away with it.  Now, getting back into training after kids, I'm realizing things are very different.  I'm going to have to really be patient.  So far I've sucked at that.

If I can get this leg thing under control, I'm going to start training for an early March marathon, looks like Phoenix.  I'm reeeeally trying to take it easy to get this thing licked.  If it's not looking better by the end of October, I'll probably need to full stop the running and put off my marathon attempt until next fall :/

I will be using JD's marathon "A" plan.   I guess I don't exactly understand what kind of weekly mileage I should be aiming for with that, but maybe I've just missed that detail?  I did also find it interesting that he said if you're up to 50mpw, you should start splitting your runs into two a days. pg 258, yep, doin it wrong again:/

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1885 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1726 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.