BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-01-30 9:48 PM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
Kristen - If your sunshine season is longer then you don't need to take the Vit D as long as we do here. I take it every day of all months with an "R" in their name. You might get away with 6 months or less.

1, I thought the clean eating had been going reasonably well for me. A small weight loss and minimal cheating but today I got a call from my MD's office and he wants to discuss the results of my A1C blood test from last week. So, I'm guessing it wasn't a good result. Possibly, I've been eating minimal meats and more beans, chick peas and other carbs I thought weren't too bad. It looks like I'll be going back on the cardboard and cabbage diet again.

2. I ran on our treadmill today because of the slippery conditions outside but otherwise my training is going nicely (I'm on a rest week this week so only 8hrs total).

3. Everything else going okay? About as good as I could hope for except for the blood sugar issues.

2014-01-31 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

George - The days are still pretty short here.  Perhaps I'll try some vitamin D, but my blues have more to do with personal turmoil than weather.

Kristen - You sound BUSY!  Hang in there and don't let that carby food get the better of you.

Tim - Glad you are feeling better.

Marilyn - We sound a lot alike.  I with you on the lost motivation when at home.  I'm doing better with core and weights, but I just can't seem to stay on the treadmill!  I think the roads are clear enough for me to get back outside now.  I'm also the same way about decompressing after work.  After work workouts are HARD.  I find it helps if I move around more during the work day and not just sit at my computer.  Then more I move around at work, then less sluggish I feel after work.  I hate to admit this, but I've been known to take a 5 Hour energy about 3 p.m. on days I have a hard workout planned for after :-(

Cathy - Glad your pain has subsided.  I've had a few tweaks myself over the winter and it is depressing.

For me, clean eating has been going pretty good this week.  I've had mostly meat, eggs, veggies and limited dairy.  I've also allowed some Ezekiel Sprouted Wheat bread on higher training days.

My training has been okay, but not great.  The cold and snow has affected my run time and I'm having issues trying to force myself on the home treadmill.  I hope to run outdoors tomorrow.

My weight is finally starting to drop!  Unfortunately, it has more to do with lost appetite due to some personal challenges, but I guess on the bright side "there is no great loss without some small gain."  I started the month close to 130 and am now 124.2 lbs.  Let's just hope I don't blow it over the weekend.  I'd like to be closer to 117 by the time I start racing again.

2014-01-31 11:50 AM
in reply to: Maria527

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

This week at work is brutal.  I am so ready for the weekend!

2014-01-31 12:49 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Thanks for checking in, everyone -

Sounds like the weather is getting a lot of us down - hope that sunshine and warmer weather is headed your way soon.

A couple of interesting things to pick up on:

1) The "clean-plate" club problem - it's interesting that way of growing up has probably affected a lot of folks in our generation(s). My kids have been brought up more with the "you have to try stuff; you have to fuel your body; if you don't eat now, nothing until next meal" mindset - not eat up or else. I wonder when they are adults if that will change how they view an overloaded restaurant plate.

2) Getting on the horse in the same day, same week - it's tough when you go off the rails during the day...how do you stop the train right then? In fact, I just ate a damn muffin this morning. I was doing so good on my business trip - woke up early & had fruit/eggs/sausage for breakfast this morning at the hotel; went for a run on the treadmill at the hotel; so good. But now, sitting in the conference sessions, I just mindlessly ate a cherry muffin. Do I just give up today and say screw it, bring it on, I'll do better tomorrow? Or do I instead try to salvage the rest of today? Can I do it? How do you do it?
2014-01-31 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Although it is temping to throw in the towel for the day, you should definitely try to salvage the rest of the day.  Forgive yourself and be more prepared next time, like have a bag of nuts in your purse or some other allowable snack. 

I have a friend who goes to a lot of meetings, most of which provide unhealthy food options such as pizza, or Bojangles biscuits.  He is of the mindset that... it's free food!  I'm missing out if I don't eat it.  Everyone else is enjoying the free pizzas and I don't want to miss out!  he feels deprived if he doesn't eat it.  But we have to remember that it's NOT worth it!

I always try to eat heavy right before going to such functions.  For instance, I am in charge of coordinating coffee and donuts for 450 people on two occasions during the year, and you can be darned certain that I'm loading up on eggs and bacon, or a HUG omelette before I get there!  The guilt of giving in last a lot longer than the pleasure of eating it...

2014-01-31 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by Maria527

, or a HUG omelette before I get there! 

Oooooo, I would love an omelet HUG! Do you find it helps with your hunger?

2014-01-31 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
My trip to the MDs office wasn't too bad after all. Not good AiC but better than the last one and I don't have to severely restrict my diet. Might even have some wine in a few minutes. Do have to make some changes but I think I can handle them okay.

Breakfast was a challenge today because I ran out of oatmeal. I pulled it together with toast, almond butter and a glass of almond milk. Lunch was a 3 egg omelette/cheese and two slices Spelt toast. Dinner was a Sockeye salmon steak, fried mushrooms and roasted potatoes - pretty good.

Maria - Sorry about the "personal turmoil". Now is a good time to pamper yourself (whatever pampering is for you). Since you first mentioned eating an omelette I've had quite a few. I appreciate their ease to make and clean up after.

Marilyn - Hope you have a great relaxing weekend. Maybe pamper yourself as well, eh.

Kristen - I share the "clean-plate" syndrome. I think my biggest problem is portion control so I fill my plate up and feel guilty if I don't eat everything. Lately, I've been getting somewhat better at leaving food on my plate for the next day. If we go out for dinner I'm a bit more male about it and eat whatever I want - without guilt (until the next day).

2014-02-01 6:49 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

LETS KEEP IT CLEAN TODAY PEOPLE !!

2014-02-01 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4915315

Hey Everyone!!
I am back!!

I took a hiatus after the bursitis diagnosis and have been tied to the food trough since. I am a stress eater so you know how that went.

I have been released to swim and ride, easy pace/no racing. Running is still a no. Today was my first ride since last year. Did 10 miles at a very easy pace.

Diet. It has been bad. Eating all kinds of crazy stuff. Today until 3/2 I am doing Whole 30...basically a super strict Paleo (no sugar, dairy, grains etc etc) to get the sugar demon off my back.

Hope all is well with everyone :-)
2014-02-01 2:46 PM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Originally posted by chichitao
Originally posted by Maria527 , or a HUG omelette before I get there! 

ROFL!  Hugging an omelette does not work because it ends up on the floor instead of inside  your belly.  But a HUGE omelette helps!

2014-02-02 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Having some super bowl food today, but I cooked a couple of items to get me through the week. Hamburger soup and citrus pork carnitas. The soup has peppers, onions, celery, carrots, a few red potatoes in it. The pork is mostly plain cooked with lemon juice and lime juice. I'll eat that with some veggie.

2014-02-03 6:55 AM
in reply to: rustymom

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i was very bad with food this weekend!  detoxing a little today - lots of fruits and veggies packed in my bag.  it's rainy and my joints hurt.  but enough complaning.

i'm making a new goal for february:  to ride my bike and swim just one time each - every week this month.  i haven't swam since ... last may?  i have ridden more recently but it's been a while.  i'd like to do some tris this year, so just want to bring my other sports back in to the mix!

2014-02-03 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Hope everyone had a good weekend!

I enjoyed mine. While I have been eating bad, I have been also eating good at times as well. I felt like I was eating horribly, but when all was said and done I did not gain any weight. So I will take that as positive and we are getting back on track today. What's in the past is done. I can't change that. I know that now, and won't dwell on it.

Got in a nice bike ride on Sat (almost 80 degrees outside) then got out and ran yesterday and it was 37 degrees. Gotta love this back and forth. It really does play a number on me tho. Gonna be back up in the 70s tomorrow, 20s on Wed, then back up to the 60s by Sat. Got my bike trainer set up, so no excuses not to get on a couple times this week. Got healthy dinners planned out for the week and will be good until a Fri happy hour.

I wish March would hurry and get here. Got a list of bike/run races planned that I am going to do almost every weekend in Mar/Apr. I am ready to have some races to look forward to.

Happy Monday!
2014-02-03 10:41 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Maria527

, or a HUG omelette before I get there! 

Dang - I go out of town a couple days and you guys start getting hugs from food?
2014-02-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Champion
Originally posted by cathyd

LETS KEEP IT CLEAN TODAY PEOPLE !!

That was the giggle I needed this morning! Reminded me of the chaperones at my high school dances.
2014-02-03 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by mehaner

i was very bad with food this weekend!  detoxing a little today - lots of fruits and veggies packed in my bag.  it's rainy and my joints hurt.  but enough complaning.

i'm making a new goal for february:  to ride my bike and swim just one time each - every week this month.  i haven't swam since ... last may?  i have ridden more recently but it's been a while.  i'd like to do some tris this year, so just want to bring my other sports back in to the mix!

Sounds like a good, and doable, goal! You can do it!

2014-02-03 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Home for a few days - redeye back Friday-to-Saturday,. futsal tourney for daughter, good long run on Sunday - took advantage of that high 50s weather!!!

Flying back out on Wednesday until Friday, but this time just headed to Florida...no bad weather, no time change!
2014-02-03 11:31 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by enders_shadow
Originally posted by mehaner

Sounds like a good, and doable, goal! You can do it!

oh - and to eat better.  doing happy hour today, and some superbowl leftovers to work on, but i think i can improve.

2014-02-03 8:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Michmich - The Whole 30 sounds like something I should check out. I need to cut out more "white" foods (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and sugar). Let us know how you make out.

RustyMom - groundbeef soup sounds pretty good.

Marilyn - not an unreasonable goal for the month. I swim and bike consistently every week but I want to run 12 hours in February and beat 60 miles if I can. That would be huge for me. Beat that goal of yours.

Tim - I'd love to run in 80 deg. I'd probably find it hard at first but I do love it in the summer time. Mind you even 37deg is tolerable and if it is sunny its very tolerable. Do you write race reports for your events in March and April.

All - My wife is just online chatting with a Brit fellow we met on Koh Lanta, Thailand and he is back there again and guess what the weather is like? Plus the massage ladies charge 300baht ($10) for a skillful 1hr massage and a large Chang beer is 80 baht ($2.67) and every sunset is beautiful. The food is very "clean" as well. khlong Nin beach is 2km long and very swimmable and the shoreline very runnable but no safe cycling. Pardon my mini-rant. I'm just wishing I were there. NEXT Winter for sure!

2014-02-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Tim - I'd love to run in 80 deg. I'd probably find it hard at first but I do love it in the summer time. Mind you even 37deg is tolerable and if it is sunny its very tolerable. Do you write race reports for your events in March and April.

Yeah, the 80 degree day was very nice, so no complaining from me. I really am a warm/hot weather person. We'll be in the 100s over the summer and I still do my runs at 4pm right in the middle of it.

I will be doing race reports for all my events and I just created race pages for them all yesterday. Got 1 sprint tri, 1 10k run, and 4 bike tours planned in just those 2 months.

My first bike tour is planned for Mar 8. Anyone got any early season races coming up?
2014-02-04 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by wenceslasz Tim - I'd love to run in 80 deg. I'd probably find it hard at first but I do love it in the summer time. Mind you even 37deg is tolerable and if it is sunny its very tolerable. Do you write race reports for your events in March and April.
Yeah, the 80 degree day was very nice, so no complaining from me. I really am a warm/hot weather person. We'll be in the 100s over the summer and I still do my runs at 4pm right in the middle of it. I will be doing race reports for all my events and I just created race pages for them all yesterday. Got 1 sprint tri, 1 10k run, and 4 bike tours planned in just those 2 months. My first bike tour is planned for Mar 8. Anyone got any early season races coming up?

training for a half marathon 3/16.  then a sprint tri 3 weeks later.

2014-02-04 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
I have a marathon in March and a sprint tri in April! Can't wait for race season!!!
2014-02-04 9:46 PM
in reply to: michmich

User image

Expert
Ontario

Forgot to check in yesterday.  141 lbs today, Up 1 lb from last week, not surprising - ate a bunch of junk the last couple nights.

2014-02-04 9:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Just finished a good cycling class. I'll sleep good tonight.

I've been eating mostly good but I'm struggling with my blood sugar. Even the new meds don't seem to be making a difference. I counted carbs today and I held myself to 140gms of Carbs. I will aim lower and try to eat lower glycemic foods and see if it helps. I also need to pay a LOT more attention to portion control. On the plus side I'm down another couple lbs today. Not quite 5 lbs yet (4.5-ish).

I've got 19 weeks to my first event (Victoria HIM) but I am looking for a good running event in March or April. I am planning to do a Duathlon in early May but they haven't opened it up for registration yet. It's a 5K run/33K bike/5K run and it is definitely not easy.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-02-04 10:01 PM
2014-02-05 7:47 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Eating like crap just to clear my house of the superbowl food.  The last of it should be gone after today.  Looking forward to the warm evening to do a little interval workout tonight.

Yesterday I had a ROUGH day at work.  Just stressful and awful and I finally went to my boss and waved a white surrender flag.  Usually this kind of stress drives me to go home, put on sweats, cuddle dogs, whatever.  Instead, I drug myself to the gym and went ahead and forced myself to do my scheduled run on the treadmill.  At an easier than necessary pace.  But I did it.  And by the time I was done, I felt amazing.  So...no more skipping workouts on stress days.  Just...won't.  Hold me to this guys!  Next step is no more diving into pop tarts and wine because of stress!  (I did reward myself with a shower beer after that run....bad me!)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19908 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24543 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29734 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.