BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-15 2:58 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Had a race this morning. Lost the bike data though. Seems it got bumped on the ride home after looking it over post race and Garmin threw it out when I hooked it up to the computer. Kinda disappointed, but at least I saw it before. 330/334 and a 39 minute split for a 24 mph average on the road bike in a decent wind. Need to see some of the other swims to tell how that went as course is always off on distance. Didn't push the run to save it for another race, but nice to see that still means clearing 7/mi with my lack of significant running for so long.

2014-06-15 5:58 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by brigby1

Had a race this morning. Lost the bike data though. Seems it got bumped on the ride home after looking it over post race and Garmin threw it out when I hooked it up to the computer. Kinda disappointed, but at least I saw it before. 330/334 and a 39 minute split for a 24 mph average on the road bike in a decent wind. Need to see some of the other swims to tell how that went as course is always off on distance. Didn't push the run to save it for another race, but nice to see that still means clearing 7/mi with my lack of significant running for so long.

Sounds like some solid numbers -- congrats!

I also raced this weekend.  Terrible swim, decent bike, good-for-me run....managed 2nd in AG.  RR here if anyone wants to read my rambling: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=518323&posts=1#M5012558

2014-06-15 7:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
, California

I tried to sneak in a ride today before it started raining.  Made it 2/3 of the way, then it turned into a swim.

The good news: I've been making minor adjustments to my position using my power meter at the velodrome and it seems to be helping.  On the ride today I was holding 21.5 mph on a long flat section averaging only 165 watts.

2014-06-15 7:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: spudone

2014-06-15 8:57 PM

Escape From Alcatraz

Report finally up.  I gotta say everything they say about the race is true.   You gotta get out here and do it.

2014-06-15 9:24 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by spudone

I tried to sneak in a ride today before it started raining.  Made it 2/3 of the way, then it turned into a swim.

The good news: I've been making minor adjustments to my position using my power meter at the velodrome and it seems to be helping.  On the ride today I was holding 21.5 mph on a long flat section averaging only 165 watts.

. Wow, that's fast for 165 watts. Was there a tail wind, and what do you weigh?

It wasn't windy but the road was very smooth.  That segment is nice to ride if you saw my Strava.  North of that that it loses the shoulder so I had to be careful and stay off the aerobars in that section.  I'm not sure if I'll ride it again because of that... with speed limit 55 it's sketchy for bikes.

Weight - I'm usually right around 150.

Edit: I checked the full leaderboard on Strava and pretty much all the other riders with power near my time were doing 220+ watts.  So I'm glad the things I've learned here are paying off

http://www.strava.com/segments/2799309?filter=overall

Edited by spudone 2014-06-15 9:32 PM
2014-06-16 5:25 AM

Master
Guilford, CT

Originally posted by brigby1

. Nice work Ben. I dream of power numbers like that!

Very solid numbers Ben! Nice work running off of that!
2014-06-16 5:29 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
Super slippery!

BTW, I had quite the big surprise for Father's Day yesterday. Worlds best wife surprised dad with a new Stages Ultegra Powermeter. Should be ready by end of week or early next week. Pretty surprised and shocked when she pulled that move. It has been a nice break from power but I'm happy to be coming back into the fold and get some proper structure and benchmarking in.
2014-06-16 7:34 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by JAYCT Super slippery! BTW, I had quite the big surprise for Father's Day yesterday. Worlds best wife surprised dad with a new Stages Ultegra Powermeter. Should be ready by end of week or early next week. Pretty surprised and shocked when she pulled that move. It has been a nice break from power but I'm happy to be coming back into the fold and get some proper structure and benchmarking in.

Awesome power. 

Aero as he!!

Wife with a PM - FTW!

Sounds like a good weekend in Utopia.  

Finally got back on the bike and ran at tempo over the weekend (trying to learn my lesson and not come back too soon after a hard race).  Shorter efforts, but it felt good to put some pop back into both the ride and, especially, the run.

Anyone else feel that it's easier to keep good form when running tempo to threshold?  Even when I focus on form and cadence, recovery runs just aren't "pretty," and my bum knee feels better going fast than easy.  I can usually hold decent form at long run pace, but even that requires much more conscious effort.

Matt

2014-06-16 11:25 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

No, not sure what it is but will try to ride today.

Het, I know a few of you are on Velo Viewer, but if you didn't know about it, it is a really neat addition to Strava.

Here:

http://veloviewer.com

Ha!

My VeloViewer Score is 91.86 for 2014.  Not to shabby.  

2014-06-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
, California

Originally posted by BrotherTri

No, not sure what it is but will try to ride today.

Het, I know a few of you are on Velo Viewer, but if you didn't know about it, it is a really neat addition to Strava.

Here:

http://veloviewer.com

Ha!

My VeloViewer Score is 91.86 for 2014.  Not to shabby.  

My area has way too many Cat 1 riders :P

2014-06-16 1:13 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Elite
PEI, Canada

Swam for the first time in a month this morning.  Did 2800m and felt every bit of it!  Definitely no top end speed there right now.

2014-06-16 1:21 PM

Master
Northern IL

. Wow, that's fast for 165 watts. Was there a tail wind, and what do you weigh?

It wasn't windy but the road was very smooth.  That segment is nice to ride if you saw my Strava.  North of that that it loses the shoulder so I had to be careful and stay off the aerobars in that section.  I'm not sure if I'll ride it again because of that... with speed limit 55 it's sketchy for bikes.

Weight - I'm usually right around 150.

Edit: I checked the full leaderboard on Strava and pretty much all the other riders with power near my time were doing 220+ watts.  So I'm glad the things I've learned here are paying off

http://www.strava.com/segments/2799309?filter=overall

Aren't you kind of tall too? That's really slick! Some of the flat spots yesterday I couldn't quite make that speed with twice the power.

2014-06-16 1:39 PM

I had a fun weekend of riding.  Nothing crazy, and actually didn't feel that strong, but fun none the less.  My shoulder is finally starting to make some progress after I separated/sprained it during my bike crash 6 weeks ago.  I think I finally may be able to start swimming in a week or so which means the one triathlon I was going to do this summer may still be a possibility.  It's likely be a Murphy's Law float...hammer...jog though if it happens.

2014-06-16 2:18 PM

2014-06-16 2:20 PM

2014-06-16 2:42 PM

[My area has way too many Cat 1 riders :P

Velo score supposedly takes that into account.

PS, my score is 96.30.

Oh my...I never heard of this, but I was thinking a few weeks ago how something like this would be great.  Still uploading...

2014-06-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

My score is 97.78...whatever that means.  But I love the way you can analyze the data year over year and also look at where you stand on segments without having to browse into a specific ride.  OMG...and the ride analysis charts are unreal.

2014-06-16 3:26 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jason N

My score is 97.78...whatever that means.  But I love the way you can analyze the data year over year and also look at where you stand on segments without having to browse into a specific ride.  OMG...and the ride analysis charts are unreal.

The 3d elevation view is pretty cool.  I saved out a picture of the Tahoe course:

http://s3.veloviewer.com/3d/a84505188.png

2014-06-17 7:50 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
I agree, I like the ride analysis charts. I just spent some time going through more of the features and there is quite a bit there.

I had used this once last year and sort of just looked at and never went back but it could be a useful tool.

I also like how you can list all the segments you've ridden and filter it the way you want to identify some. I'm always looking for places to do some structured work too but maintain a little variety. It could definitely help with that.

2014-06-17 8:03 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Well I am feeling freakishly strong for Syracuse 70.3 this weekend. It is really scary to have all this fitness so late in life. The only thing I can think of that has contributed to this is all the running. This is the 4th month of 160+ miles and Jan and Feb were 140+ miles. Now I have done my share of millage before but it was different with a lot of long runs. So no more of that for me. It's run everyday 95% ez, occasional long runs and intensity before race. That is my ticket especially if I punch it at Syracuse. Don't get me wrong I am no longer a speed demon, just a very well rounded age grouper triathalete. I am blessed to still be racing.Oh btw I am short by few runs equaling the number of the days in the year. Never thought I would do that. Also pretty sure I will finish (God willing) 2014 with equal days running. Now to go and spank myself on the bike.
2014-06-17 8:12 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Master
Northern IL

Keep it up James!

Got a question for the bike racers, is it normal to feel some soreness in the elbows from riding the road bike more aggressively? For Sunday's race I rode with elbows bent much more than the lighter bend I'll train with. Not as familiar with the road position, more so when trying to be aggressive in a race, mostly making sure I'm not doing something to be concerned with. Feels more like something on the end of the muscle near the surface than deeper in. First guess is that it's just fatigue from doing something it hasn't really been asked to do so much of.

2014-06-17 8:20 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by axteraa

Swam for the first time in a month this morning.  Did 2800m and felt every bit of it!  Definitely no top end speed there right now.

ohhh....paaaaleeeeeeeezzzz......     That means you'll only beat me out of the water by 19 min at M-T instead of 22

2014-06-17 8:31 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38744 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74225 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.