BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-07-05 12:44 AM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
Great story Kim and great job toughing it out.  I am hoping to get to the century level within the next couple months, but can do without flats and bee stings.  

2011-07-05 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3579954

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-07-04 1:58 PM
kt65 - 2011-07-04 10:17 AM

Happy 4th of July, MG!!!!

This girl is resting after an adventure yesterday...well, sort of.  I was so excited for my first ever solo century...and the predicted weather was for 80 degrees at noon, so I started out my ride at exactly 7 am to beat the heat.  Well, things went really well until about mile 75, and my legs started telling me they had nothing left...I tried a gu, lots of water (I had 150 oz for the whole trip and still lost 3 lbs, tried some more sport drink....and being 25 miles away from my car, I ended up just telling them to STFU and just pedal, momma will take care of the rest.  (taking care of the rest meant keeping eyes open and riding a straight line)  Yes, Suzy, sometimes my legs need that command...but anyways, I decided to just spin it out nice and easy, it was getting so hot...then somewhere about mile 85, I hit this shady part of the ride and boom, they started to come around.  It was almost magical, and I don't quite understand it, but I'm glad I could bounce back. 

I was at mile 98 and then I hit some glass and got a flat going about 25 mph and thought, ugh!!!  However, I was right at 6 hours so plenty of time to fix the flat, still do my 2 miles to the car and 20 min run...um...no.  I got that tire off quickly, lever to remove tire, took the tube out, saw the puncture, ran my finger along the inside like I was told, got the new tube in, used my cartridge and filled the tire, wow, I couldn't believe how well this was going...and I start to put the tire back on the bike and it's starting to leak...arrrgh...and then it totally deflates...I think I may have pinch flatted it or there was still some glass in there...cuz even with my second cartridge, same thing.  I wish I had more than one tube, I usually carry two but used one last fall and must've forgotten to replace it.  damn.  and why'd i use my second cartridge anyway without taking it apart again to figure it out...i could've maybe done the dollar bill trick?  i dunno...so anyhow, it was two miles of walking in the hot sun in bike shoes, the last mile of which was straight up a very steep hill.  To add insult to injury I got stung by a bee on my beehind on this trek and started laughing...it was rather humbling.  Legs do not like walking in bike shoes after traveling 98.2 miles, try 26.2 sweetheart...now move it! 

I was going to post this in my blog, but thought I'd share it with you all, my lovely MG, it has been so quiet over here this weekend!  I learned some lessons, bring two tubes and a pump...I was kind of afraid to blow the tube up a little bit to avoid the pinch flat because I wasn't sure if the cartridge would have enough air, with a pump I could have just easily done this.  Still not sure why my legs were giving up other than it was a new distance for me and it was over 6000ft of elevation...it turns out it was 95 degrees, not 80...though I had a ton of water and nutrition.  I learned that I can rebound with perseverance, and that bee stings really hurt!  But I lived to laugh about it and tell the tale.

No T run as I was officially running late for the dinner party (at our house!)...I did have time for an ice bath and then it was yummy bbq and fun with friends.  And then I slept for 9 hours!!! Quite a luxury!

Have a good one, everyone! 

great job kim.  mental f'ing toughness!!!  walking two miles in bike shoes had to have sucked!  awesome attitude!!!  wor teep!!!!!

fwiw, i carried two tubes and three co2 cartridges on all my training rides (all rides were solo) .  just 15 miles outside where i started was deliverance country.  i didn't want to be stuck and start to hear banjos.  i wore a bike jersey except for two or three rides to take advantage of the back pockets for my nutrition mix, another bottle and my phone in a sandwich bag.  

Same here, I also take a small pump, it's a pain to fill up a tire with it as it's small but it works when needed.  Also on long solo rides I bring a patch kit, that would have helped you out.

All this prep comes from Sam and I being 20ish miles from the car and I went through all my C02 and tubes and having to walk back while she rode solo in some of the same Deliverance type country John is talking about.

Also, Kim the Dollar bill trick only works with strippers and holes in the tire itself so the tube doesn't expand outside the tire,  won't help you with the tube itslef ; )

2011-07-05 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Happy July 5th!  Trying to get motivated at work after a great long weekend at the beach.  Sucks to be back to work!  Although I love SBR, I would gladly make change my hobby to boogie boarding, body surfing, and tanning my a$$ on the beach!  Thanks to you guys for not posting too much this weekend...made catching up pretty easy! 

I'll post June numbers a little late just because it is my biggest bike month ever (sadly - still only about 1/3 of Suzy's month!!)

June's totals:
Bike:17h 42m 05s  - 309.71 Mi
Run:10h 49m 14s  - 77.11 Mi
Swim:5h 11m 36s  - 17500 Yd

Kim - glad you made it through your day.  Sounds like a long one.  I probably would have called Kris for ride home!!

I hope everyone that wanted to got to blow stuff up!

2011-07-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3579723

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
kt65 - 2011-07-04 7:17 AM

Happy 4th of July, MG!!!!

This girl is resting after an adventure yesterday...well, sort of.  I was so excited for my first ever solo century...and the predicted weather was for 80 degrees at noon, so I started out my ride at exactly 7 am to beat the heat.  Well, things went really well until about mile 75, and my legs started telling me they had nothing left...I tried a gu, lots of water (I had 150 oz for the whole trip and still lost 3 lbs, tried some more sport drink....and being 25 miles away from my car, I ended up just telling them to STFU and just pedal, momma will take care of the rest.  (taking care of the rest meant keeping eyes open and riding a straight line)  Yes, Suzy, sometimes my legs need that command...but anyways, I decided to just spin it out nice and easy, it was getting so hot...then somewhere about mile 85, I hit this shady part of the ride and boom, they started to come around.  It was almost magical, and I don't quite understand it, but I'm glad I could bounce back. 

I was at mile 98 and then I hit some glass and got a flat going about 25 mph and thought, ugh!!!  However, I was right at 6 hours so plenty of time to fix the flat, still do my 2 miles to the car and 20 min run...um...no.  I got that tire off quickly, lever to remove tire, took the tube out, saw the puncture, ran my finger along the inside like I was told, got the new tube in, used my cartridge and filled the tire, wow, I couldn't believe how well this was going...and I start to put the tire back on the bike and it's starting to leak...arrrgh...and then it totally deflates...I think I may have pinch flatted it or there was still some glass in there...cuz even with my second cartridge, same thing.  I wish I had more than one tube, I usually carry two but used one last fall and must've forgotten to replace it.  damn.  and why'd i use my second cartridge anyway without taking it apart again to figure it out...i could've maybe done the dollar bill trick?  i dunno...so anyhow, it was two miles of walking in the hot sun in bike shoes, the last mile of which was straight up a very steep hill.  To add insult to injury I got stung by a bee on my beehind on this trek and started laughing...it was rather humbling.  Legs do not like walking in bike shoes after traveling 98.2 miles, try 26.2 sweetheart...now move it! 

I was going to post this in my blog, but thought I'd share it with you all, my lovely MG, it has been so quiet over here this weekend!  I learned some lessons, bring two tubes and a pump...I was kind of afraid to blow the tube up a little bit to avoid the pinch flat because I wasn't sure if the cartridge would have enough air, with a pump I could have just easily done this.  Still not sure why my legs were giving up other than it was a new distance for me and it was over 6000ft of elevation...it turns out it was 95 degrees, not 80...though I had a ton of water and nutrition.  I learned that I can rebound with perseverance, and that bee stings really hurt!  But I lived to laugh about it and tell the tale.

No T run as I was officially running late for the dinner party (at our house!)...I did have time for an ice bath and then it was yummy bbq and fun with friends.  And then I slept for 9 hours!!! Quite a luxury!

Have a good one, everyone! 

EGADS!   That's the pits.  Where were you - Tunitas Creek?

2011-07-05 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Hey peeps, I need some help.

I had problems during my ows today.  From the start of the swim, I just didn't feel like I had any energy, had to stop often.  By about 14 min into the swim I was having asthma symptoms.  Shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, wheezing, coughing.  Turned around and headed back.  Long swim back.  Could take about 20 strokes and then had to flip over to cough, and try to catch my breath.  Damn  This has never happened in the water before and I have to admit, it was a little scary. 

Yes, I'm going to the doctor.  I've had suspicions for a long time that I might have exercise-induced asthma, but only had problems occasionally while running.  Honestly thought it was just because I was so out of shape.  Any of you have any experience with this??? 

2011-07-05 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3580998

User image

Master
jfought - 2011-07-05 7:59 AM

I had problems during my ows today.  From the start of the swim, I just didn't feel like I had any energy, had to stop often.  By about 14 min into the swim I was having asthma symptoms.  Shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, wheezing, coughing.  Turned around and headed back.  Long swim back.  Could take about 20 strokes and then had to flip over to cough, and try to catch my breath.  Damn  This has never happened in the water before and I have to admit, it was a little scary. 

Yes, I'm going to the doctor.  I've had suspicions for a long time that I might have exercise-induced asthma, but only had problems occasionally while running.  Honestly thought it was just because I was so out of shape.  Any of you have any experience with this??? 

Were conditions any different? Cold water? Chop? Were you wearing wetsuit? Was it on well? Does it fit well through the chest?

I've not had that happen so likely can't offer up much advice, but these are some variables to consider. And glad to hear you are seeing doc. Always good to figure out if there is a medical reason behind it.

Cold water can make your body do all sorts of crazy things. The cold lake swim in Coeur d'Alene wreaked havoc on many a racer. There was a huge number of DNFs due to the swim.

2011-07-05 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3580998

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
jfought - 2011-07-05 10:59 AM

Was this your first time in OWS? 

I pretty much start hyperventillating right when I jump in the water in OWS.  After a few minutes it goes away and I am good to go.  If I don't get in early it still seems to pop up but happens when swimming and really messes me up for a few minutes.

Not sure if that's the same thing you are experiencing or not.  I think Suzy has mentioned the same thing happens to her also.

2011-07-05 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3581033

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
kkcbelle - 2011-07-05 11:09 AM

Were conditions any different? Cold water? Chop? Were you wearing wetsuit? Was it on well? Does it fit well through the chest?

I've not had that happen so likely can't offer up much advice, but these are some variables to consider. And glad to hear you are seeing doc. Always good to figure out if there is a medical reason behind it.

Cold water can make your body do all sorts of crazy things. The cold lake swim in Coeur d'Alene wreaked havoc on many a racer. There was a huge number of DNFs due to the swim.

I've been doing my ows in this same lake twice a week since the beginning of June, and I've had my wetsuit on every time for the last few weeks.  The water wasn't cold, in fact it was the warmest it's been so far and it was a beautiful calm day.  I don't think it had anything to do with the wetsuit or the water temperature or conditions, or anxiety.  Don't know what triggered it.

2011-07-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3581090

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
jfought - 2011-07-05 10:26 AM
kkcbelle - 2011-07-05 11:09 AM

I've been doing my ows in this same lake twice a week since the beginning of June, and I've had my wetsuit on every time for the last few weeks.  The water wasn't cold, in fact it was the warmest it's been so far and it was a beautiful calm day.  I don't think it had anything to do with the wetsuit or the water temperature or conditions, or anxiety.  Don't know what triggered it.

What about allergies to any of the crap in the water? has it heated up where you swim?  all sorts of grossness blooms in the Madison lakes.  Sometimes, it bothers me, sometimes not at all.  No matter what, saline your nose when you get back from swimming.  Same goes for drops in the eyes.

2011-07-05 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon

DJ! Glad you're back! I can relate to everything you said... still working on getting back in the mode myself. Is the August race you're referring to the E.T Midnight Marathon/Half Marathon in Rachel, Nevada by chance? I'm running it and would love to meet up if you do decide to do it!

Epic ride, Kim! Congrats on your first century ride, and awesome job toughing out everything the day threw at you!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I spent a wonderful weekend at home in Kalispell with my hubby, our eldest daughter and her boyfriend. We didn't get that bike ride in Glacier Park done, but we did have an amazing hike to Avalanche Lake with them. Here's a pic so you all can be jealous

2011-07-05 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3581265

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
RoniS - 2011-07-05 12:48 PM

DJ! Glad you're back! I can relate to everything you said... still working on getting back in the mode myself. Is the August race you're referring to the E.T Midnight Marathon/Half Marathon in Rachel, Nevada by chance? I'm running it and would love to meet up if you do decide to do it!

Epic ride, Kim! Congrats on your first century ride, and awesome job toughing out everything the day threw at you!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I spent a wonderful weekend at home in Kalispell with my hubby, our eldest daughter and her boyfriend. We didn't get that bike ride in Glacier Park done, but we did have an amazing hike to Avalanche Lake with them. Here's a pic so you all can be jealous

Wow, great picture, Roni!  That is almost the same view I have off my deck out here in deliverance country (except for the beautiful lake and awesome mountains).  

2011-07-05 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3581473

User image

Champion
marietta
tdl1972 - 2011-07-05 2:14 PM

Wow, great picture, Roni!  That is almost the same view I have off my deck out here in deliverance country (except for the beautiful lake and awesome mountains).  

you ain't got banjo's where you're at!  

you see two folks from the area were killed on their bikes in separate incidents this past weekend.  one of those killed lost his father in a cycling accident 3 years ago. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-07-05 1:20 PM
2011-07-05 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3581480

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
fattyfatfat - 2011-07-05 2:18 PM

you see two folks from the area were killed on their bikes in separate incidents this past weekend.  one of those killed lost his father in a cycling accident 3 years ago. 

I saw one of them (B. Morgan); I wasn't aware of the second.  Scary and sad.  I don't know how much the new law will help, but it's something. 

2011-07-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3581498

User image

Champion
marietta
tdl1972 - 2011-07-05 2:28 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-07-05 2:18 PM

I saw one of them (B. Morgan); I wasn't aware of the second.  Scary and sad.  I don't know how much the new law will help, but it's something. 

yeah,  i don't get the three foot rule.  i get what its supposed to offer but without much awareness on all sides, not just motor vehicle operators, i don't see this doing much.  the stats aren't starting off aren't too pretty... 2 people dead in the first 4 days of the law going live. 

2011-07-05 1:54 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
The 2nd death was of a 33 year old profeesor from Georgia Tech. Article mentions how expensive his bike was for some unknown reason. And you'll be glad to know the driver who hit him was not injured.
2011-07-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3581551

User image

Champion
marietta

DougRob - 2011-07-05 2:54 PM The 2nd death was of a 33 year old profeesor from Georgia Tech. Article mentions how expensive his bike was for some unknown reason. And you'll be glad to know the driver who hit him was not injured.

yeah, i'm glad the 19 year old driving a C240 wasn't injured.   

i tell you though,  i've seen more poor riding here in the 10 months or so that we've been in atlanta than i can ever remember. and that's what kind of gets me a little tweaked.  i've had near misses while running with idiots.  and i hate to say this but most of the time they are on tt bikes. 

and i understand the right to use the road and all that.  but it just seems to me that rush hour in a major urban area isn't the time to be on the main roads.  i met a guy when i first moved here tell me he loves it because if he gets hit he'll just sue and retire.  i waited for the laugh to come signaling he was joking... it never happened.

2011-07-05 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3581573

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2011-07-05 3:04 PM

DougRob - 2011-07-05 2:54 PM The 2nd death was of a 33 year old profeesor from Georgia Tech. Article mentions how expensive his bike was for some unknown reason. And you'll be glad to know the driver who hit him was not injured.

yeah, i'm glad the 19 year old driving a C240 wasn't injured.   

i tell you though,  i've seen more poor riding here in the 10 months or so that we've been in atlanta than i can ever remember. and that's what kind of gets me a little tweaked.  i've had near misses while running with idiots.  and i hate to say this but most of the time they are on tt bikes. 

and i understand the right to use the road and all that.  but it just seems to me that rush hour in a major urban area isn't the time to be on the main roads.  i met a guy when i first moved here tell me he loves it because if he gets hit he'll just sue and retire.  i waited for the laugh to come signaling he was joking... it never happened.

Sounds like an opportunity to clean the gene pool.

2011-07-05 3:46 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Roni, what a beautiful view place to call home!

I have to say after all of this talk about Deliverance Country and Suzy's tales of rural WI, I am so lucky to live and ride here where it is pretty friendly for bicyclists with pretty wide, flat shoulders to ride on. 

Linda-I was on Polhemus near Ascension Rd...about a half mile from Camp Sawyer road that would have brought me up the hill to my car...literally 6 minutes away from the car on bike turned into a 30 minute hike.  Oh, and I think I owe you a few Pepsi's and Pop tarts for helping me avoid a ticket on Canada Rd...I slowed down as I was approaching the arterial stopsign and then decided to clip out anyways and just put my foot down, because of your experience with the law...and there was a cop right there smiling at me!  (in a creepy sort of way!).  Would not have been a good start at about mile 8 into the day. 

I bought a small hand pump yesterday just because I don't want to depend on cartridges only...got new tires too since mine were very old and getting a bit squared off and worn down.  Will start carrying two tubes and extra patch stuff, and probably 2 or 3 cartridges for just in case.  Paranoid, but really glad it happened where it did and early on in training.

Where is Treasure?  I see that he put some splits up that look pretty good!  Trev!?!?

2011-07-05 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3581265

User image

Champion
marietta

now i can see it!  WOW!  that's awesome!!!!

2011-07-05 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
X2 Roni, what a beautiful place to live near!!
2011-07-06 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3582118

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Terps421 - 2011-07-05 8:18 PM X2 Roni, what a beautiful place to live near!!

X3!!  Awesome place Roni!

2011-07-06 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Looks gorgeous Roni!! No OWS practice?? (brrrrrrr.....)
2011-07-06 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Sin City

Roni - Yep that's the one!! :-) Not going to RACE it, but dang, running around at midnight with glow sticks and Area 51...can't beat that!  I'm hoping to do it with two friends of mine, but they seem to back out...bummer. 

Signed up for my first Century Ride in October! Training starts now. :-)

2011-07-06 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Hey Gang!

Looks like everyone had a good holiday weekend.

I was on the trainer this morning watching the tour, and man those guys turn some serious rpm's.  I found it seriously hard to keep up with even in a much higher gear than normal.  Do any of you pay much attention to your rpm's?

Also question for the group?  What type shorts are you wearing for your long events?  I am having serious issues with my shorts pinching while in aero mostly.  I have been using my bibs, then went to oomph distance, but seems like a cheap pair of zoots with the felt pad are most comfortable, but just don't know if I can hold up with those for a long ride.   Any ideas?

2011-07-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3582705

User image

Champion
marietta
Plainsman AU - 2011-07-06 10:00 AM

Hey Gang!

Looks like everyone had a good holiday weekend.

I was on the trainer this morning watching the tour, and man those guys turn some serious rpm's.  I found it seriously hard to keep up with even in a much higher gear than normal.  Do any of you pay much attention to your rpm's?

Also question for the group?  What type shorts are you wearing for your long events?  I am having serious issues with my shorts pinching while in aero mostly.  I have been using my bibs, then went to oomph distance, but seems like a cheap pair of zoots with the felt pad are most comfortable, but just don't know if I can hold up with those for a long ride.   Any ideas?

desoto 400 mile bibs the whole way at IMTX.   but why not throw down a couple long rides in those zoots.. don't know until you try.  good you're thinking about this now too btw! 

whats the tour?  is that part of the women's world cup or something?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298