Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-12-13 5:34 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

A cold 4+ miler this morning, at an easy pace (yesterday and tomorrow are fast days, and Sunday is a long run - should be interesting in the snow we're going to get).  Went to the pool and lollygagged through 2,100 - just getting the muscles used to it again before bringing intensity back.

My back is still keeeeeling me from stacking wood last Sunday, but I'm able to work out without making it worse (actually feels better with activity).

Swim question - when y'all swim, how much do you try to rotate your torso?  I've seen 90 degrees, 45 degrees and Tarzan (0 degrees).  I have read that resistance is halved with a shoulder forward and torso rotated as compared to swimming flat.  Could that be so?  How far do you aim to rotate with each stroke?

And as for kids swimming fast?  My 9 y.o. and 11 y.o. are swimming easy laps that many of my tri peeps would love to put down in a race.  The reeeeallly fast kids on their teams (one on each that is just a different beast - my kids are fast, but these other two are just nuts) are incredibly fast - and not even breathing hard at the end of some killer sets.  Another meet tomorrow, so I'll look at the times (really cool app - mobilemeet - gives results for each event and all heats… all 80-odd events) and post some of the memorable ones for fun.

Matt

2013-12-13 5:38 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

<----  About that much.  

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Swim question - when y'all swim, how much do you try to rotate your torso?  I've seen 90 degrees, 45 degrees and Tarzan (0 degrees).  I have read that resistance is halved with a shoulder forward and torso rotated as compared to swimming flat.  Could that be so?  How far do you aim to rotate with each stroke?

2013-12-13 5:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-13 6:06 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

<----  About that much.  

Yeah I had really experiment with that to find my sweet spot.

I tried a lot of different rotating angles in that search. To me the sweet spot came with just enough rotation to be smooth with the kick while staying long and lean. I think the ultimate sweet spot came in the balance with a powerful catch. None of that probable makes sense but to me. lol
2013-12-13 6:07 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Originally posted by BrotherTribtw Is this group going for a Season III?

I haven't seen anything from Ron about the next set of groups, but I don't see why not.

And I think most of you already know this, but just in case, you are always free to create your own mentor groups on the side and still participate here.  In fact, I highly recommend it if that's what you want to do.  Like the title of this thread still reads, we are always open to everyone...so don't worry about getting "in" before it closes.

2013-12-13 6:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
I should start a thread on swimming with senior citizens

At the time I swim, everyone, but I mean everyone is over 65. My best swim buddy is 84. He went to the Olympics in Rome as a paddler (1960).

I have been labelled the "fast guy" because I "have a watch"

The next fastest guy is exactly half my pace. I lap him every 100m. I pass him kicking.

The lane is about 7 feet wide so passing is not a problem. There are 4 lanes. Slow is reserved for being in the water and chatting. Medium is for floating. Med/Fast is for someone moving and Fast is everyone else.

Beats swimming with aggressive triathletes.

2013-12-13 6:20 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by BrotherTribtw Is this group going for a Season III?

I haven't seen anything from Ron about the next set of groups, but I don't see why not.

And I think most of you already know this, but just in case, you are always free to create your own mentor groups on the side and still participate here.  In fact, I highly recommend it if that's what you want to do.  Like the title of this thread still reads, we are always open to everyone...so don't worry about getting "in" before it closes.

Yeah I already contacted Ron to do so. He said a week or two, so I am working on my Bio. For me that's hard because when it comes to that question Why would you make a good mentor? All I got is experience...... Thanks Jason!
2013-12-13 6:24 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by marcag

I should start a thread on swimming with senior citizens

At the time I swim, everyone, but I mean everyone is over 65. My best swim buddy is 84. He went to the Olympics in Rome as a paddler (1960).

I have been labelled the "fast guy" because I "have a watch"

The next fastest guy is exactly half my pace. I lap him every 100m. I pass him kicking.

The lane is about 7 feet wide so passing is not a problem. There are 4 lanes. Slow is reserved for being in the water and chatting. Medium is for floating. Med/Fast is for someone moving and Fast is everyone else.

Beats swimming with aggressive triathletes.

Too funny!!!!

When I swim there is about 4 people in their mid 70's swimming.

2013-12-13 6:34 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

You guys probably saw it on ST, but holy cow, this is like SOS on steriods, O till O sweden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36o9M4i4hVA

2013-12-13 6:38 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Yeah, it's one awesome looking race.  I've had it on my "must do" list for a couple of years.  I just keep struggling to get past the whole marathon and a half of running thing...

2013-12-13 6:42 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

You guys probably saw it on ST, but holy cow, this is like SOS on steriods, O till O sweden

Different race but the 2015 ITU long distance worlds are in Sweden. I would have liked to give qualification for those a crack next summer.

I am having trouble deciding on a 2014 race plan. I am leaning toward all Oly with the 70.3 worlds at the end.

I will almost certainly volunteer at IMMT.

Edited by marcag 2013-12-13 6:44 PM

2013-12-13 6:48 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Different race but the 2015 ITU long distance worlds are in Sweden. I would have liked to give qualification for those a crack next summer. I am having trouble deciding on a 2014 race plan. I am leaning toward all Oly with the 70.3 worlds at the end. I will almost certainly volunteer at IMMT.

Marc, come east.

http://challenge-standrews.com/

Wouldn't surprise me if it was an ITU long distance qualifier as well.  I don't think there any other long distance races in New Brunswick.

2013-12-13 6:55 PM

Extreme Veteran

Different race but the 2015 ITU long distance worlds are in Sweden. I would have liked to give qualification for those a crack next summer. I am having trouble deciding on a 2014 race plan. I am leaning toward all Oly with the 70.3 worlds at the end. I will almost certainly volunteer at IMMT.

Marc, come east.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was an ITU long distance qualifier as well.  I don't think there any other long distance races in New Brunswick.

Are you doing it ?
2013-12-13 6:58 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

It's on my short list.  At this point I'd probably have to have a reason to NOT do it.  There is a pretty decent sized crowd from here that are going.

2013-12-14 7:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
Today I am going to start playing with the Spinscan on the computrainer to see if I have any funky imbalances like DC rainmaker's during the stages review.

Something geeky to do during a planned bike workout.

Maybe a run later in this tropical -16c. First run without any Achilles funkiness yesterday.

Edited by marcag 2013-12-14 7:56 AM
2013-12-14 8:08 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Marc, come east.

Are you doing it ?

The only qualifier I've seen officially listed is the Grand Rapids 70.3.  Are there others?  I would SO rather race St. Andrews (not just because it's logistically easier and I still have family from the Scots side there, but it's just way prettier!) - even more so than the Patriot half (a lot of local friends race this one - great feel, from what I'm told).

I have next to zero chance to qualify, but the prospect - however slim - of taking the family to Sweden and doing a monster race (triple-Oly!) is almost too tempting…  and motivating.

OK, let the ridicule for such delusions begin, but that looks like a really nice race regardless.  

Matt

2013-12-14 8:21 AM

Extreme Veteran

The only qualifier I've seen officially listed is the Grand Rapids 70.3.  Are there others?  I would SO rather race St. Andrews (not just because it's logistically easier and I still have family from the Scots side there, but it's just way prettier!) - even more so than the Patriot half (a lot of local friends race this one - great feel, from what I'm told).

I have next to zero chance to qualify, but the prospect - however slim - of taking the family to Sweden and doing a monster race (triple-Oly!) is almost too tempting…  and motivating.

OK, let the ridicule for such delusions begin, but that looks like a really nice race regardless.  

Matt

If it's a qualifier I suspect it would be for Canadians only. I am not sure of this.

We will grant you honorary citizenship if you want to race with us.

Qualifying in Canada for ITU long distance has always been pretty easy. It seemed few wanted to go. Olys seem to be harder.
2013-12-14 8:30 AM

Master
Northern IL

Marc, come east.

Are you doing it ?

Matt

Matt, Grand Rapids is the only US qualifier. Arend & Marc would be looking at Canadian qualifiers. And for long course qualifying, there is a much better shot of making it than you think as it hasn't been as popular in the past from what I know. People do it, but there isn't nearly the buzz like for short course this year, or other more normal years. I think your chances of making it are realistic. Your Timberman time would have been well within the top 20 at Rev3 Anderson this year.

2013-12-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Extreme Veteran
The whole Stages discussion had me wondering about my L/R power balance so I rode with SpinScan

I seem to apply more power to the left leg at lower wattages and it becomes more even as I go higher. At 5MP I am 50/50

This means my power at lower wattages would be over estimated more than at higher. My Z3 power would be about 10% too high

So if I do a 5min & 20min test to calculate my FTP, my FTP will be overstated

But that's ok because as I drop to 70 or 80% of FTP that will be even more overstated

So it would all work out but not because of any type of accuracy of the PM
2013-12-14 10:52 AM

Pro
NJ

Are you doing it ?

Matt

Matt, in the fwiw category I did Patriot last year. Now, the view from where I raced is quite different from where you would be competing but thought I'd share a couple thoughts. The logistics are exceptionally well done. It is a small race, with a local 'feel' but very well supported. Swim is terrific. The bike is nice, but not that interesting imo - except a couple spots along the water. It's flat and the roads are decent (exceptionally decent compared to NJ). The run is mostly residential and not shaded. Again, I was on the course much later and longer so that may not matter to you. One item that stood out... the roads had an extreme camber...which I really noticed.  I would not want to run regularly on that kind of slope. I don't know if it's sold out yet but suspect it will do so quickly. It's become quite popular.

2013-12-14 11:17 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

That looks like a crazy race!  But seriously, NOT ENOUGH BIKING!!!

Fun group ride in the (light) rain, fog (in a couple areas), and wind this morning.  My bike is so dirty you'd think I went mountain biking!  Last year, you wouldn't have caught me out riding in conditions like that, but I told myself I needed to be a big girl this year and it's paying off....not only is my biking getting stronger, but I'm having so much fun

2013-12-14 11:22 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag The whole Stages discussion had me wondering about my L/R power balance so I rode with SpinScan I seem to apply more power to the left leg at lower wattages and it becomes more even as I go higher. At 5MP I am 50/50 This means my power at lower wattages would be over estimated more than at higher. My Z3 power would be about 10% too high So if I do a 5min & 20min test to calculate my FTP, my FTP will be overstated But that's ok because as I drop to 70 or 80% of FTP that will be even more overstated So it would all work out but not because of any type of accuracy of the PM

How disparate is your L/R power?  I kind of figured mine was going to have a big difference because when I first came back from knee surgery, I babied my left knee....and then I felt like I started over compensating and pushed harder with my left knee.  My Quarq tells me L/R power and it's almost always 50/50....and when it's not, it's 49/51 or 51/49 -- heh.

2013-12-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by marcag The whole Stages discussion had me wondering about my L/R power balance so I rode with SpinScan I seem to apply more power to the left leg at lower wattages and it becomes more even as I go higher. At 5MP I am 50/50 This means my power at lower wattages would be over estimated more than at higher. My Z3 power would be about 10% too high So if I do a 5min & 20min test to calculate my FTP, my FTP will be overstated But that's ok because as I drop to 70 or 80% of FTP that will be even more overstated So it would all work out but not because of any type of accuracy of the PM

How disparate is your L/R power?  I kind of figured mine was going to have a big difference because when I first came back from knee surgery, I babied my left knee....and then I felt like I started over compensating and pushed harder with my left knee.  My Quarq tells me L/R power and it's almost always 50/50....and when it's not, it's 49/51 or 51/49 -- heh.

I go as high as 55/45 but averaged 52.3/47.6.
Low Z2 was the worst

No way I will buy a Stages PM
2013-12-14 12:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-14 12:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
DP

Edited by marcag 2013-12-14 12:55 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.