General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2010-03-02 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2703053

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread
Kido - 2010-03-02 3:26 PM

gcirongirl - 2010-03-02 11:53 AM Nice report. Thanks! I have spring break March 22-26 and may head down, but I am really slow so riding with me would only frustrate you. Question: With all of the workouts getting longer on the weekends, is anyone decreasing their time spent training during the week? I have been tempted to decrease during the week a bit. Is it conserving myself for the weekend or is it cheating myself and putting myself into trouble?

I follow a BT plan.  The trend I seem to see is the the mid week workouts are about the same (or getting just a little bit longer) but the long runs and rides get longer.  They make up the bulk of the increased time per week.

I agree, alll volume should be going UP at this point. We are at the point where we are breaking our body down as much as we can without causing injury. Recovery via good diet and good sleep is important right now. I find myself ready to fall asleep at 9:00 every night, and I'm usually a night owl.

While you are adding volume you do still want to include at least 1 tempo/speed workout on the bike and run during the week.

8 weeks, 4 days..... But who's counting?

2010-03-02 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2223820

User image

WAIT!  This thing is in May?  THIS YEAR!?!?!?!?
2010-03-02 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
But I am so tired. . . . zzzzz. . .

But I am soooooo hungry. . . donuts, cheeseburgers. I want sugar cereal! I've been ok with my diet. An In and Out Burger opened up down the street just before Christmas. I told my husband that when we got back from St George, we could go there. For now, I will savor this recovery smoothie and imagine that it is a milk shake.

I figured no one should be slackin' during the week, but I could hope, right? I know. I know. This is where the training really counts. Pay now. Reap the rewards on May 1.
2010-03-02 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2702518

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Rollin' Thunder - 2010-03-02 10:52 AM Thanks guys -- I hate to admit it, but I am going to a 12-27. I still want to be able to run after I am done with the bike. I am thinking about going down one more time to ride the loop a couple of times in March. Is anyone else going out this month? Mike

Same.  But I'm fine to admit it!

I'm sure everyone would like the 27 on the short sections of 12%, even if that's the only time it's used.

Edited by Kido 2010-03-02 4:58 PM
2010-03-02 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2702999

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jls42 - 2010-03-02 1:11 PM Man I wish I lived closer to St. George like all of you.  You are going to be crushing us with your knowlegde of the course.  My only preview will be Wednesday, April 28th; I am thinking about an easy loop on that wednesday, or I will just drive it.  I appreciate all the insight on the course that has been posted here, I just hope the cattle guards are covered, I will be one of the idiots that will be probably walking accross them, the threat of a DNF and/or wheel/bike damage just plain scares me.

Wednesday?  Lucky you...I won't be driving the course until Thursday... 
2010-03-02 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2703045

User image

Master
South of SLC
Kido - 2010-03-02 2:25 PM

Rollin' Thunder - 2010-03-02 10:52 AM Thanks guys -- I hate to admit it, but I am going to a 12-27. I still want to be able to run after I am done with the bike. I am thinking about going down one more time to ride the loop a couple of times in March. Is anyone else going out this month? Mike

I plan to go.  Just not sure what weekend.  I sort of have to force it since I have a lot of good riding around here.

I still need to plan lodging for the race itself.  I will probably be going by myself, so logistically, it's a little tougher to get around...  I'm not sure of the shuttle service.  I plan to park at the finish to drive home/hotel, but still need to get to the lake.

Call Ironman Hotel Reservations at 888.345.2530 and talk with Roxy. I am staying at the Mariott Courtyard and would be good for a ride to the start.

Mike

2010-03-03 12:51 PM

New user

Bend, Oregon

Hi all,
been reading this thread the whole time. first post.  Great comments and feed back!
This will be my First IM. Did my first half IM last year June. (Pacific Crest in Sunriver Oregon) Didnt finish so hot, but finished.

Leaving Bend on Wednesday mid day. Getting their Thursday Mid morning/afternoon.

Training is going  according to plan. could use some longer rides on the weekends. longest so far is 4 1/2 hours. Weather out here has been crap almost every weekend.

Yes, Im starving half the time right now! glad to hear I am not the only one.  and seem to fall asleep at 8 these days. 

I have a dumb question for you guys. do you wear normal tri shorts for the bike? or do you through on normal bike shorts over your tri shorts and then take them off after the ride?  112 miles with tri shorts (barely any padding) sounds horrible.

Also, how long do most of you wait before you start fueling after the swim?

thanks
Monte

2010-03-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2705126

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Mhawkins - 2010-03-03 10:51 AM

I have a dumb question for you guys. do you wear normal tri shorts for the bike? or do you through on normal bike shorts over your tri shorts and then take them off after the ride?  112 miles with tri shorts (barely any padding) sounds horrible.

thanks
Monte

Welcome aboard, Monte. 

I wore my regular tri shorts (and tri top) for my previous IM.  I made sure to wear them on as many of my long rides as possible.  It's been more difficult with winter training...have had to wear tights on a lot of my early morning rides.  I know that a pretty fair number of people change in T1 and T2 at IMs (bike shorts in T1, running shorts--or compression gear--in T2).

In T1, I usually hydrate with sports drink before heading out on the bike...not a lot, because it can be a little rugged on the stomach at that point.  After that, I'm on a regular schedule of hydration or hydration/nutrition every 25 minutes (or to thirst as the day goes on).
2010-03-03 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Welcome Monty-

I 'may' be bringing sun and 60's with me to Oregon this weekend...hope you get some of it!
2010-03-03 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2703030

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Kido - 2010-03-02 1:20 PM

I like to keep it simple (for nutrition)...
as for the run, I may play it by ear like the first year.  I pretty much alternated between broth and GE at the aid stations.  Ate what sounded good at the time.

I am not sure they'll have broth at this event. It's not listed on the site.

1 - Gatorade Endurance Formula in 8-ounce cups
2 – Water in 8-ounce cups
3 - Food including PowerBars, PowerBar Gel, bananas, orange wedges, pretzels, & cookies
4 – Cola
5 - Gatorade Endurance Formula
6 – Water

At the last IM i did (Cozumel), which was also a new race, they did not have broth, and they ran out of pretzels and everything salty except PowerBar gels. Might want another plan for getting good salty foods in.
2010-03-03 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2705126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Mhawkins - 2010-03-03 12:51 PM

Hi all,
been reading this thread the whole time. first post.  Great comments and feed back!
This will be my First IM. Did my first half IM last year June. (Pacific Crest in Sunriver Oregon) Didnt finish so hot, but finished.

Leaving Bend on Wednesday mid day. Getting their Thursday Mid morning/afternoon.

Training is going  according to plan. could use some longer rides on the weekends. longest so far is 4 1/2 hours. Weather out here has been crap almost every weekend.

Yes, Im starving half the time right now! glad to hear I am not the only one.  and seem to fall asleep at 8 these days. 

thanks
Monte

Monte, welcome to the board. The MOST important thing is to be comfortable. If you are not comfortable, a 112 mile bike can get nasty. If you can get used to trishorts then wear them. If you feel you need the extra padding of bike shorts then wear those and change into whatever you want to run in at T2. But DO NOT wear bike shorts over tri shorts, that is asking for some major chaffing trouble.

2010-03-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2705442

User image

Master
South of SLC

I am not sure they'll have broth at this event. It's not listed on the site.

1 - Gatorade Endurance Formula in 8-ounce cups
2 – Water in 8-ounce cups
3 - Food including PowerBars, PowerBar Gel, bananas, orange wedges, pretzels, & cookies
4 – Cola
5 - Gatorade Endurance Formula
6 – Water

At the last IM i did (Cozumel), which was also a new race, they did not have broth, and they ran out of pretzels and everything salty except PowerBar gels. Might want another plan for getting good salty foods in.

Pringles in run special needs bag. Mmmm...

Mike
2010-03-03 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2705464

New user

Bend, Oregon
Thanks!  I thought bike shorts over tri shorts sounded like a bad idea.  Looks like I need to train with my tri shorts more often..
2010-03-03 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2702733

User image

New user

You have to be your own judge. If you feel like you are absorbing the training effect of the mid-week workouts there is no compelling reason to throttle back, unless of-course life gets in the way. On the other hand, if you feel really tired during the day, are not sleeping well at night, have an elevated HR in the AM you may want to consider either reducing the volume of certain workouts or perhaps completely eliminating a workout or two.
2010-03-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2705767

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
I have done 2 IM races with regular shorts over my tri-shorts with no problems but I did do MANY rides that way to test it before the race.  I have also done 1 IM with just tri shorts and it was not bad.  Just make sure whatever you do, do it on some long training rides before the race.  You should have nothing new in your plan for the race that you have not used in your training first.  I made that mistake at a Olympic race once with nutrition and it cost me big time.

Good luck. 
2010-03-03 10:28 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
So...um...discretion won out over thrift tonight:  Had to take my Kestrel in for some more work (another mystery flat after sitting unridden for three days) and decided to see about swapping my 105 12-23 for a 12-25.  The shop only had a 12-27 in stock...I figured that was fate deciding for me and made the swap.

Trading the 23 for a 24 can only be good, since that's only a climbing gear for me (so this makes that easier), but it'll be interesting to see if I miss the 18 that I'm giving up for the 27.  I tend to divide my time in the flats among the 17, 18, and 19...probably means more time in the 19.

2010-03-04 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2706364

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
Funny how fate works.  I think you will like having the 27.  I put one on in 2007 for Lake Placid and I never took it off even when I got back to the flatland of Texas.  I basically never use the 27 here in Texas but it is nice to have when I go to Austin to ride!! 
2010-03-04 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Took a week off the run and bike to rest the calf / achilles.  Then I did a fairly easy 10 mile bike, 3 mile run to test it out.  It was fine during the bike / run but the next day it was throbbing.  I'm going to take another week off then if it doesn't heel I'm going to be in serious trouble for this race.  I injured it last September and its been reinjured 2 times now.  My long bike is only 45 miles this year and a 10 miles on the run.  Since this is my first IM I really want to run it; if it gets worse to the plan is to start it and see how far I can get, but I don't know if that will even be physically possible.

The achilles was strong for a few weeks until a spinning class where they had us do a hard spin at a 20 cadence.  If it heals by next week and I can keep my old volume I should be okay but that's asking alot. 

Edited by furiousferret 2010-03-04 9:41 AM
2010-03-04 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2706988

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
furiousferret - 2010-03-04 7:39 AM Took a week off the run and bike to rest the calf / achilles.  Then I did a fairly easy 10 mile bike, 3 mile run to test it out.  It was fine during the bike / run but the next day it was throbbing.  I'm going to take another week off then if it doesn't heel I'm going to be in serious trouble for this race.  I injured it last September and its been reinjured 2 times now.  My long bike is only 45 miles this year and a 10 miles on the run.  Since this is my first IM I really want to run it; if it gets worse to the plan is to start it and see how far I can get, but I don't know if that will even be physically possible.

The achilles was strong for a few weeks until a spinning class where they had us do a hard spin at a 20 cadence.  If it heals by next week and I can keep my old volume I should be okay but that's asking alot. 

Go easy and let yourself heal...even though this is a pretty important stretch of training weeks, health on May 1 is ultimately more important than volume now.  I'm really struggling with shutting the run down...so, so hard not to try to push through my injury...got in a decent test run today, but it showed me that I'm healing but I'm not really healthy enough for the planned last long run before LA Marathon that I was hoping to try this weekend.  Don't want to be injured at the start of that race or the IM.  Having done an IM on one leg last year, I'm really not wanting to repeat that.  Sounds like you're starting to look at SG like I was Vineman last summer:  Considered a DNF, but went ahead...actually managed to get to mile 16 of the run before the injury blew up on me.  Still finished at a walk and I'm glad I went ahead, but it was incredibly frustrating to start a race knowing I had no chance to perform to potential after months of training.

So...rehab...rehab...rehab...  

Edited by tcovert 2010-03-04 10:51 AM
2010-03-04 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2706364

User image

Lost Wages Nevada
tcovert - 2010-03-03 8:28 PMSo...um...discretion won out over thrift tonight:  Had to take my Kestrel in for some more work (another mystery flat after sitting unridden for three days) and decided to see about swapping my 105 12-23 for a 12-25.  The shop only had a 12-27 in stock...I figured that was fate deciding for me and made the swap.

Trading the 23 for a 24 can only be good, since that's only a climbing gear for me (so this makes that easier), but it'll be interesting to see if I miss the 18 that I'm giving up for the 27.  I tend to divide my time in the flats among the 17, 18, and 19...probably means more time in the 19.
Ill be curious to hear what you think after you've done a long ride, please keep us in the loop...
2010-03-04 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2707232

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
tcovert - 2010-03-04 8:47 AM
furiousferret - 2010-03-04 7:39 AM Took a week off the run and bike to rest the calf / achilles.  Then I did a fairly easy 10 mile bike, 3 mile run to test it out.  It was fine during the bike / run but the next day it was throbbing.  I'm going to take another week off then if it doesn't heel I'm going to be in serious trouble for this race.  I injured it last September and its been reinjured 2 times now.  My long bike is only 45 miles this year and a 10 miles on the run.  Since this is my first IM I really want to run it; if it gets worse to the plan is to start it and see how far I can get, but I don't know if that will even be physically possible.

Go easy and let yourself heal...even though this is a pretty important stretch of training weeks, health on May 1 is ultimately more important than volume now.  I'm really struggling with shutting the run down...so, so hard not to try to push through my injury...got in a decent test run today, but it showed me that I'm healing but I'm not really healthy enough for the planned last long run before LA Marathon that I was hoping to try this weekend.  Don't want to be injured at the start of that race or the IM.  Having done an IM on one leg last year, I'm really not wanting to repeat that.  Sounds like you're starting to look at SG like I was Vineman last summer:  Considered a DNF, but went ahead...actually managed to get to mile 16 of the run before the injury blew up on me.  Still finished at a walk and I'm glad I went ahead, but it was incredibly frustrating to start a race knowing I had no chance to perform to potential after months of training.

So...rehab...rehab...rehab...  

It felt alot better today...zero pain, but I'm still taking another 7 days off.

It does sound like you're Vineman race, and it definately sucks.  Last August I finished my second 100 miler, was running 10 miles a day, and was seriously wondering if I could KQ.  Now, I'm wondering when I'll crack and if I can walk the rest in time.  I won't DNS; this isn't affecting my swim and hope my leg holds up.

2010-03-05 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2707336

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
VegasJason - 2010-03-04 9:22 AM
tcovert - 2010-03-03 8:28 PMSo...um...discretion won out over thrift tonight:  Had to take my Kestrel in for some more work (another mystery flat after sitting unridden for three days) and decided to see about swapping my 105 12-23 for a 12-25.  The shop only had a 12-27 in stock...I figured that was fate deciding for me and made the swap.

Ill be curious to hear what you think after you've done a long ride, please keep us in the loop...

No long ride yet, but short ride this AM with respectable climb (1 1/2 miles, betw. 5% and 11%).  Where I used to be out of the saddle right away for the last 1/2 mile (all betw. 8% and 11%) and struggle, I stayed in the saddle this morning for all of it and HR was relatively under control.  Good times.  In the flats, I had to remind myself that when the rear shifter was in the position I was used to it being for my 18 in the 12-23, it's now the 19.  And that what used to be the shift from 18 to 19 is now 19 up to a 21.  Spent very little time in my 17, probably more in the 21 than I would have with the 12-23.  Overall probably helps a lot more with steep grades than hurts me on pace in the flats.
2010-03-05 1:10 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-03-05 8:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
I have an incredibly stupid question to ask. Please excuse my ignorance. I keep seeing a lot of you mention "12-27" in regards to your bikes and the hills. How do I find out what I have on my bike? I've been asked before, and I really don't know. I've even looked at my bike, and I don't see any numbers on it that are similar to that. For me, bicycles are like cars - I know how to operate them, but I know nothing about the parts and how they work. I do know how to change a tube and clean the chain, but that's about it. I know. That's really bad. I'm embarrassed to be asking, but I'd like to know if my bike will be able to handle what's out there. :redface:
2010-03-05 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2711197

Champion
Northridge, California
dieathlon - 2010-03-05 6:54 PM I have an incredibly stupid question to ask. Please excuse my ignorance. I keep seeing a lot of you mention "12-27" in regards to your bikes and the hills. How do I find out what I have on my bike? I've been asked before, and I really don't know. I've even looked at my bike, and I don't see any numbers on it that are similar to that. For me, bicycles are like cars - I know how to operate them, but I know nothing about the parts and how they work. I do know how to change a tube and clean the chain, but that's about it. I know. That's really bad. I'm embarrassed to be asking, but I'd like to know if my bike will be able to handle what's out there. :redface:

Don't be embarrassed...no one's more bike-illiterate than I am. 

Personally, I just counted the teeth on the smallest and largest cogs in the cassette (those are the first and second numbers in the pair..."12" = 12 teeth on the cog, "27" = 27 teeth) to see what I had.  There are visible numbers on my crankset (53/39), but nothing in the rear.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George - Utah : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43