BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2016-01-19 6:23 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed

Good bike workout on the trainer/rollers this evening with some VO2 work. Felt surprisingly good...and feel like I accomplished something.

10 min warm up

20X(1 min @ 110%+/ 1 min easy)

5 easy

20X (30 sec @ 120%+/ 30 sec easy)

short cool down

Ended up with 30 min of 110%+ out of 1hr 17 min workout. IF .89 for the workout. 

2016-01-20 12:19 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I almost bailed on my swim this morning....I was tired (slept fine last night, but not the couple nights before) and my HRV wasn't pretty.  But by that time, I'd already been up for five minutes and knew I probably wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I went to swim telling myself that if it was bad, I could bail early.

Turned out to be a good swim!  I'm glad I dragged myself to the pool.

2x200 w/u

2x200 alternating 50 drill, 50 build

2x200 pull (still warming up, so no interval)

Main set was a "pyramid":  4x50 on 0:50, 3x100 on 1:45, 2x150 on 2:35, 1x200 on 3:30, 2x150 on 2:35, 3x100 on 1:45, 4x50 on 0:50

I happily sat in and drafted for most of this, but coming back down the pyramid, the guy who was leading was getting tired and not getting much rest, so when we finished the 100's, I told him to draft me and actually put in some effort

Monday's swim was ugly, so I was grateful that my feel for the water came back pretty quickly.  Short run tonight after work.

2016-01-20 5:24 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran

90 min on the trainer doing low cadence, big gear strength work

8km (5mile) run in the snow and ice.

Tomorrow AM swim. I hate swimming, but I have a swim meet in a few weeks.

2016-01-20 5:51 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Just got back from 6 mile hilly route. It's kind of my go to route to judge my fitness. 3 miles out and 3 back over 3 hills. I always try to run it at the same RPE. Right now I'm 40 seconds per mile slower than I was in March. No worries, I'll just keep plugging along.
2016-01-20 6:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I almost bailed on my swim this morning....I was tired (slept fine last night, but not the couple nights before) and my HRV wasn't pretty.  But by that time, I'd already been up for five minutes and knew I probably wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I went to swim telling myself that if it was bad, I could bail early.

Turned out to be a good swim!  I'm glad I dragged myself to the pool.

2x200 w/u

2x200 alternating 50 drill, 50 build

2x200 pull (still warming up, so no interval)

Main set was a "pyramid":  4x50 on 0:50, 3x100 on 1:45, 2x150 on 2:35, 1x200 on 3:30, 2x150 on 2:35, 3x100 on 1:45, 4x50 on 0:50

I happily sat in and drafted for most of this, but coming back down the pyramid, the guy who was leading was getting tired and not getting much rest, so when we finished the 100's, I told him to draft me and actually put in some effort

Monday's swim was ugly, so I was grateful that my feel for the water came back pretty quickly.  Short run tonight after work.

Nicole-Funny how sometimes we feel good after we get going and have a good workout.

Marc-I am with you....I hate swimming.  Maybe not hate but definitely don't enjoy it.  I think I would do duathlons if  there were more of them down here.....although then I couldn't about swimming.  With that said I am swimming as well in the morning. Hoping to get it in early before the thunderstorms roll through. 

I have been watching the documentary on The Eagles on Netflix.....death of Glenn Frey got me thinking about all of their great songs.  I wondered why I never saw them in concert but they broke up about the time I graduated high school...1980.  I am not finished with it yet.  Just got through the part where the band broke up.  Should be moving into the time leading up  to the reunion next.  Really amazing the level of individual talent the members of the band had...too many chiefs and not enough indians.  I watch alot of Netflix on the trainer when biking. Always looking for recommendations. 

2016-01-21 7:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

The weather held off long enough for me to get my swim in......bike this  evening.

Have a good day everyone.

2016-01-21 10:53 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Breaking news: MRI of my knee finally done at 5:00 this morning. I may have some real information by tonight so I can make a plan.

One thing is certain, I have never, ever spent this much time on my bike. If I don't see some improvement in my cycling after this block I may just have to give up triathlon all together. Last night was 5 x 7 minutes at around 90% of FTP on 3 minutes easy. Hard but not soul crushing.

The knee is so variable. Some days it feels almost normal and then there are days like yesterday where it hurt all day long. Something is definitely not right. This morning I had zero pain, and was considering running a HM that I had scheduled for Sunday. Then I took a funny step and was reminded why that is not a good idea. Like I said, I'll know more by this afternoon.

Just a public service announcement: My insurance approval for the MRI came through yesterday afternoon and I had the MRI this morning. It is a little-known fact that most MRI machines (in the United States) run 24/7. If you are willing to come in at off hours you can get an MRI done almost the next day. If you want it done at 2:00 PM, you might wait 2-3 weeks depending on how full the schedule is. If you are willing to be there at 4 AM you can almost get same day scheduling.
2016-01-21 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by slornow

I hate swimming.  Maybe not hate but definitely don't enjoy it.  I think I would do duathlons if  there were more of them down here

Funny, I kinda feel that way about running.  I've always joked that the only reason I run is that I have to get from T2 to the finish line somehow!  I'd do more aquabike events, but I'll be honest, I'm a bit too competitive to be satisfied with winning an event simply because I'm the only one racing it.

Also, I don't think I actually hate running....I just hate sucking at running.  About to start a run focus, so hopefully I'll see some improvement!

2016-01-21 11:57 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster Breaking news: MRI of my knee finally done at 5:00 this morning. I may have some real information by tonight so I can make a plan. One thing is certain, I have never, ever spent this much time on my bike. If I don't see some improvement in my cycling after this block I may just have to give up triathlon all together. Last night was 5 x 7 minutes at around 90% of FTP on 3 minutes easy. Hard but not soul crushing. The knee is so variable. Some days it feels almost normal and then there are days like yesterday where it hurt all day long. Something is definitely not right. This morning I had zero pain, and was considering running a HM that I had scheduled for Sunday. Then I took a funny step and was reminded why that is not a good idea. Like I said, I'll know more by this afternoon. Just a public service announcement: My insurance approval for the MRI came through yesterday afternoon and I had the MRI this morning. It is a little-known fact that most MRI machines (in the United States) run 24/7. If you are willing to come in at off hours you can get an MRI done almost the next day. If you want it done at 2:00 PM, you might wait 2-3 weeks depending on how full the schedule is. If you are willing to be there at 4 AM you can almost get same day scheduling.

Good info to know on the MRI scheduling.

Given my extensive, nonexistent medical background, I am betting on a torn meniscus.  I did it one time playing tennis.  did PT for a couple of weeks and then was pretty much fine.

Hope you get a good report! 

2016-01-21 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marc-I am with you....I hate swimming.  Maybe not hate but definitely don't enjoy it.

I guess hate is a strong word. I am not good at suffering in the pool.

I am doing a 200 and 800 (long course) swim meet in a few weeks. Then 100, 200, 400, 1500m in April. I want to go 23min for the 1500m which is going to be a sufferfest.
2016-01-21 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I hate swimming.  Maybe not hate but definitely don't enjoy it.  I think I would do duathlons if  there were more of them down here

Funny, I kinda feel that way about running.  I've always joked that the only reason I run is that I have to get from T2 to the finish line somehow!  I'd do more aquabike events, but I'll be honest, I'm a bit too competitive to be satisfied with winning an event simply because I'm the only one racing it.

Also, I don't think I actually hate running....I just hate sucking at running.  About to start a run focus, so hopefully I'll see some improvement!

Nicole I actually do hate running. I do suck at running. I am very slow at running. There is no redeeming value in running.

I will do aqua/bike events after I do my IM. Until then, I will keep plodding along.

2016-01-21 2:44 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randee & Jason, thanks for the nutrition feedback. I will dig in to your comments tonight but wanted to acknowledge the response. I am sure I will learn much, I always do!

Thanks again,

Stuart
2016-01-21 2:45 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

I can identify with this. My first multisport event was a swim-cycle, and if those events were more competitive I might have stuck with just doing those, but hardly anyone enters and there's rarely any real competitive athletes in them.

Over time I've learned to enjoy running more and have managed to avoid the constant injuries that plagued me before. It's still my least favourite discipline though (and my worst).

In terms of enjoying workouts, I think I probably enjoy swimming the most. Biking is my favourite discipline but a lot of those workouts are far from enjoyable. Even when I drag myself to the pool and have no motivation to swim, I always end up feeling better by the end of it and glad I did it. Can't say the same for the other two.
2016-01-21 6:59 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

New user
New Hampshire
One hour trainer workout this evening. TrainerRoad Monitor: 6x6 min intervals @ 88 to 93% Ftp with 2 minute recovery. IF .81. Ftp might be set a little high right now, not sure I could hold that effort for an hour.

If anybody is writing their own workouts check out FinalSurge.com. I just started using it. It's free and is pretty easy to use. You can plan your workouts, as well as, sync completed workouts with Garmin. They also have an Iphone app.

Question for Marc or anyone else who uses Golden Cheetah. I started logging my workouts this week. Right now I'm just importing them so I'll have the data for future analysis. My question is are there any parameters I need to set? For instance, do I need a baseline FTP? Or a threshold run or swim pace? Thanks.
2016-01-22 5:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenSprocket

One hour trainer workout this evening. TrainerRoad Monitor: 6x6 min intervals @ 88 to 93% Ftp with 2 minute recovery. IF .81. Ftp might be set a little high right now, not sure I could hold that effort for an hour.

If anybody is writing their own workouts check out FinalSurge.com. I just started using it. It's free and is pretty easy to use. You can plan your workouts, as well as, sync completed workouts with Garmin. They also have an Iphone app.

Question for Marc or anyone else who uses Golden Cheetah. I started logging my workouts this week. Right now I'm just importing them so I'll have the data for future analysis. My question is are there any parameters I need to set? For instance, do I need a baseline FTP? Or a threshold run or swim pace? Thanks.

To get the full analysis benefit you do need to set CP (or FTP) for the bike, and critical pace for the run and swim. This will affect TSS calculations, PMCs, time in zone...
The good news is you can adjust them after the fact and GC will recalculate the affected workouts.

Edited by marcag 2016-01-22 9:15 AM
2016-01-22 10:36 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Missed my bike workout on Wed. so needed to get both bike and run in yesterday.  Run was first, and done on the treadmill with the last 10min at 10K effort - hope the gym treadmill (newer machines) was accurate because this went really well.  Then the evening had 5/6x3' @ ~110% on 3'RI, this went well but I was suffering on the 5th one and told myself that would be it, but gave the 6th a go and lasted about 1min before packing it in.  Either way, things are starting to come back after a very low key couple of months where I wasn't accomplishing much.

Without intending to do so, I realized I haven't run outside in the last 2 weeks.  Getting wimpy when it comes to colder weather - I used to embrace it like a badge of honor.  Now I retreat to the basement treadmill with a TV, fan, and the Tour Down Under on my PVR.  Must run outside this weekend!

2016-01-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Two questions about FTP for the group. I did my first FTP test a few months ago and another last week. This is being done all indoors on a spin bike. They are pretty well maintained and calibrated but not sure how well they translate out on the road. My attention has been focused on improvements in the number and not specifically the number. I have been riding stronger both inside and outside but am curious about two things.

1. What is a reasonable gain to expect to see in FTP over a period of 3 - 6 months. I ride indoors 7 - 8 hours a week and outdoors 4 - 8 depending on the weather.

2. How does weight loss impact FTP? I have dropped 2 of the 10 pounds I want to drop before May. I have no idea how that one factor might impact my ftp.

Thanks,
2016-01-22 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Stuartap

Two questions about FTP for the group. I did my first FTP test a few months ago and another last week. This is being done all indoors on a spin bike. They are pretty well maintained and calibrated but not sure how well they translate out on the road. My attention has been focused on improvements in the number and not specifically the number. I have been riding stronger both inside and outside but am curious about two things.

1. What is a reasonable gain to expect to see in FTP over a period of 3 - 6 months. I ride indoors 7 - 8 hours a week and outdoors 4 - 8 depending on the weather.

2. How does weight loss impact FTP? I have dropped 2 of the 10 pounds I want to drop before May. I have no idea how that one factor might impact my ftp.

Thanks,

The first year I did structured training with power I had a big jump in FTP, probably 40 watts or so. Since, I can add 10-15watts if I work really hard.

I think that if you have lots of room for weight loss, 10lbs won't hurt your FTP. If you're already leaner, you may lose some muscle mass, but I think the chances of not benefitting from weight loss are rare. 10bs less in the gut also allows you do be more comfortable in aero and generate more power. That being said, being too much in a calorie deficit during peak training will slow down your progress.

2016-01-22 12:57 PM

User image

Most of your potential gains is going to depend on where you started from.  As you already know, FTP can drop quite a bit if you're off the bike for an extended amount of time.  Or FTP can be quite low as a beginner.  So if that is your starting point in a 3-6 month span, your potential for improvement is going to be much greater than say someone else who has been riding 5000+ miles per year consistently the last few years.

For your first point are you saying you're riding 7-8 hours indoors AND 4-8 hours outdoors?  Total of 11-16 hours?  Or is it a combination of both meaning if weather is bad all week, you ride 7-8 hours indoors, if weather is good all week, 4-8 hours outdoors, or a combination of both that is maybe 6-8 hours?  If it is 6-8 hours total, then that's a solid starting point.  Assuming two solid 60-80 minute weekday rides, a 2-3 hour long ride, and another optional ride.  

For me personally, my FTP peaked at about 290 last year as far as road bike power.  281 last year for a 40k TT on the TT bike.  Once my season ended in August, I suspect my FTP dropped to around 275-280.  I picked it back up in mid October looking to stay focused for this season (last season I kind of winged it and had hit and miss results).  My road bike FTP is already back up around 290, and I still haven't hit the meat of my training yet (hoping to peak in May/June).  I suspect if all goes well and I stay consistent and focused, I can get up to 300-305 when I peak, but also sustain 290ish for most of the season.  So I guess my swing is potentially 275 to 305.  Granted...I don't take that much time off the bike since it's all I do, and I'm pretty well trained as it is so I get pretty excited when my peak fitness even shows a 3-5 watt gain.

As for weight...again...it depends.  If you're already really lean, I suspect losing more weight will impact your power.  But I also think it's greatly exaggerated by most people...as most people are not as lean as say a pro cyclist.  Someone like Bradley Wiggins would lose weight and sacrifice power when he was focusing on the TdF or Grand Tours because it would still improve his w/kg.  But last year he was more focused on classics and now the track for Rio, so he put on about 15 pounds to gain more power as pure watts is more important than w/kg on the track and during classics.  But again, even with 15 more pounds, Wiggins is still considered lean by amateur standards.

I raced last year mostly at 158-162.  Right now I'm at 154 and putting out just as much power as I was during my peak.  But again, at 5'6" and about 17% body fat...I have lots of weight to lose before my power will suffer due to weight loss.

2016-01-22 4:03 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Thanks for the feedback on FTP. Let me clarify.

I ride every week indoors 7-8 hours. Three Sufferfest sessions of about 2 hours each and then at least one other session of 1-2 hours. In addition to that I ride outdoors when the weather permits 1-2 days a week. Those will always be at least 4 hours or longer.

As for losing muscle mass, I don't expect that to be a big issue. I am 5'11" and 193# right now. Getting to my goal of 185# I don't think will cost me. By top rider standards I am fat. Hell, by a BMI calculator I am "overweight" and don't hit the very top end of "normal" until 179#, six below my target.

I guess more specifically may question is this. If I drop the 10# and get to 185# I would expect to be a bit faster since I am pushing around less weight. But I would expect to do that without and change in power output. So does the weight loss have no real impact of my FTP since that is just power output (assuming no meaningful muscle mass decline) or would I expect to see a jump (if even a small one) in FTP because I am leaner and therefore benefiting from anything physically like better oxygen use or anything else that might be in play?

If the spin bike is anywhere near relevant to the real world, my FTP is at 264 right now. I like to see if I can get it to 300. That seems really hard to imagine right now.

Thanks again,
2016-01-22 5:05 PM

User image

You and I are roughly in the same boat as far as height/weight ratios in relation to BMI.  By "American standards" we are lean, but not in terms of endurance athletes.

If  say you lose 8.5 pounds of fat and 1.5 pounds of muscle.  I don't think your FTP takes a hit because FTP is still very much an aerobic effort that isn't highly governed by muscle mass.  

I'd also wager that with your frame, you still have more muscle mass than most elite endurance athletes anyway.  Most of us normal Joes would benefit from losing some muscle mass if your ultimate goal was to become the best endurance athlete possible.  At a certain point, you're just carrying around excess muscle weight and it's not making a meaningful contribution to your aerobic endurance.  But at the same time we also have to look into the mirror everyday and be happy with what we see.  I for one would not be happy looking in the mirror and seeing a rail thin pro cyclist.

If you're at your goal weight of 185, 300 watts is probably possible for you with some solid training.  Maybe not this season, but soon.  That would put you at about 3.55-3.60 w/kg...certainly within the range for the average guy even if you don't have good genes.  

As for your training...that's a lot of riding.  Have you experimented with shorter rides and higher intensity?  

2016-01-22 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

how old are you Stuart ?
2016-01-22 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by marcag

how old are you Stuart ?

Old enough to know better = 60!
2016-01-22 9:59 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

Missed my bike workout on Wed. so needed to get both bike and run in yesterday.  Run was first, and done on the treadmill with the last 10min at 10K effort - hope the gym treadmill (newer machines) was accurate because this went really well.  Then the evening had 5/6x3' @ ~110% on 3'RI, this went well but I was suffering on the 5th one and told myself that would be it, but gave the 6th a go and lasted about 1min before packing it in.  Either way, things are starting to come back after a very low key couple of months where I wasn't accomplishing much.

Without intending to do so, I realized I haven't run outside in the last 2 weeks.  Getting wimpy when it comes to colder weather - I used to embrace it like a badge of honor.  Now I retreat to the basement treadmill with a TV, fan, and the Tour Down Under on my PVR.  Must run outside this weekend!

I've always hated running on a treadmill....and yet, decided to buy one last week!  It gets here on Monday.  Similar to you, I'll use it when the weather sucks rather than embracing it like a badge of honor....opposite of you, I'll be using it in the summer when it's 36C+ and 90%+ humidity.  I would rather aqua jog than run in that crap....but I'm pretty sure I can tolerate a treadmill run, in an air conditioned house, with a fan, and a good tv show to watch

2016-01-23 4:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Stuartap

Originally posted by marcag

how old are you Stuart ?

Old enough to know better = 60!

You might want to read Friel's book "Fast after 50".
The role of strength training and high intensity is different than the 30 year olds.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's mentor group...Closed Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112

Started by cdban66
Views: 58513 Posts: 2782

2016-04-12 12:54 AM StaceyK

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.