of 149

2013-12-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by cdban66

Fred, I rarely post in here but continue to read voraciously. I agree with both of your suggestions. Any one of the folks  in here (or a multiple thereof) would really help some of the raw talent learn, grow and improve. I believe you are a fan of the mentor groups and it has been my experience that they can run hot or cold, good or bad. It would be beneficial to see some groups being headed up by quality racers like yourselves. 

Marc, your PM group is a really cool offer. A focused opportunity for people to get more out of that type of equipment is really a chance for some folks to grow. And the fact that you have a couple of other resources on board is pretty cool. 

A big thanks to both of you for your kindness and willingness to give back.

Fred has had many Mentor groups. I think Fred needs a break. Lets let Fred have a year so he can focus on Fred and crush some souls.

For what it is worth I will be starting a group. I don't know what to really offer except my years of experience and dedication to the group. I am confused on what to focus on. Maybe newbies, but I want to focus on HM distance.

2013-12-16 2:19 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I'll probably start another mentor group when they start up the New Year.  I've done it off and on for 4-5 years but I'm not the rah, rah, warm-fuzzy kind of mentor so maybe I'm not the best for a BT mentor.  Usually get a wide spectrum of peeps that sign up which can be good or not so good.  I figure if I can take some of the mystique out of getting started in tri then it will be worth it.

2013-12-16 2:41 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Birkierunner

I'll probably start another mentor group when they start up the New Year.  I've done it off and on for 4-5 years but I'm not the rah, rah, warm-fuzzy kind of mentor so maybe I'm not the best for a BT mentor.  Usually get a wide spectrum of peeps that sign up which can be good or not so good.  I figure if I can take some of the mystique out of getting started in tri then it will be worth it.

My fear is I'll be too much HTF and suck it up cupcake......Then again my literacy or some other crazy manic depression will show up and I'll bomb. Maybe we need a mentor group for mentors.
2013-12-16 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
On a training note, I did a 5' Power Test. Boy am i out of cycling shape....

CompuTrainer 5’ Power Test

Watts Avg 292
RPM Avg 92
HR Avg 165

At least it should get better.....
2013-12-16 2:55 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Watts Avg 292
RPM Avg 92
HR Avg 165

Ha HA James! I just posted a "nice work on the test" as an inspire on your blog. I am fairly certain I couldn't hold 265w for five minutes currently....
2013-12-16 2:58 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

You guys were busy this weekend - lots of good posts.  We got a fair amount of snow on Friday/Saturday and I ran on Sunday.  I fell less than 2km into the run and just below my knee is now sore and bruised.  Also struggling with ongoing issues with my left Soleus - think I probably pushed a bit too hard on the threshold test .  Massage later this week will hopefully help, and I'll avoid running for a couple days.

Bummer!  Hope you feel back to normal soon. Glad you weren't hurt worse, although that sounds painful.

We got just under a foot here, and I bailed and did ~90' on the 'mill yesterday - having done exactly what you describe one too many times to myself.  It's a different kind of punishment.    A friend switched his long run to Saturday and all I could do was face-palm myself when I saw that on Strava (duh).  

On a separate note, I think the Better half just made my 2014 bike splits at least 10% better than this year.  All I can say is that an iPad holder is transformative to my indoor riding!  Can't believe I've waited this long to go for more than just an iPod and tunes…  Just doodling around on YouTube during a recovery spin today, I looked up and saw 45' had gone by!  There is hope!

Matt

2013-12-16 3:08 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by TankBoy

Watts Avg 292
RPM Avg 92
HR Avg 165

Ha HA James! I just posted a "nice work on the test" as an inspire on your blog. I am fairly certain I couldn't hold 265w for five minutes currently....

I was a little tired from yesterdays workouts and snow shoveling. My swim last night was a made up workout called the Oreo. 1st set and last set was the same at 80% and the middle was max effort. Of course I chose 500yds on 8'.

2013-12-16 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Fred, I rarely post in here but continue to read voraciously. I agree with both of your suggestions. Any one of the folks  in here (or a multiple thereof) would really help some of the raw talent learn, grow and improve. I believe you are a fan of the mentor groups and it has been my experience that they can run hot or cold, good or bad. It would be beneficial to see some groups being headed up by quality racers like yourselves. 

Marc, your PM group is a really cool offer. A focused opportunity for people to get more out of that type of equipment is really a chance for some folks to grow. And the fact that you have a couple of other resources on board is pretty cool. 

Fred has had many Mentor groups. I think Fred needs a break. Lets let Fred have a year so he can focus on Fred and crush some souls. For what it is worth I will be starting a group. I don't know what to really offer except my years of experience and dedication to the group. I am confused on what to focus on. Maybe newbies, but I want to focus on HM distance.

I like the repeating focus on soul crushing around here!    Just sayin'

As we're on the topic, for those that have been around a while, how do (did) you pick which mentor groups to join?  Focus is one, obviously, but it's not always evident from the title or bio.  Reputation of the mentor, too, but if you're new, that's a tough one…  This could be a good topic for TT just before the groups open, perhaps (hint for anyone with thoughts on it - I'm still trying to figure it out).

I'll keep an eye out for your HIM group.  I did one HIM last year at the end of a season more focused on the Olympic distance (and semi-lurked on Fred/Jason's HIM group - thanks guys!), and plan to focus on a more HIM specific year in 2014 with perhaps 2 A race HIMs (and a bunch of sprints and Oly's for fun).  Provided the body, work and family cooperate, of course.  

Matt

2013-12-16 3:20 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri On a training note, I did a 5' Power Test. Boy am i out of cycling shape.... CompuTrainer 5’ Power Test Watts Avg 292 RPM Avg 92 HR Avg 165 At least it should get better.....

I just got notice that I have a test coming up next two weeks or so [shudder]./.....

2013-12-16 3:25 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Also thinking about starting my own group.  Did one before, it was rewarding...  I would like to find a theme though

In other news, acupuncture this a.m on the foot (and if you're lucky enough to be my FB friends, you sw the evidence ) and I *think* i've turned a corner...   No real pain, just a sensation that it's not 100%.  I'd like to adopt Matt's protocol of two weeks more now that it's asymptomatic, but I'm pretty stir crazy. At least one more week, or end of the weekend

In yet more news, we are taking a semi last minute trip to Costa Rica in Feb.  We've been trying to get there for a few years and the timing just worked out.   Flying COPA airlines through Panama, choices were a 1 hour or 10 hour layover, we chose the ten and are going to do a partial transit of the Panama Canal when there (hopefully, still trying to set it up).  Some enterprising souls run actual layover tours, p/u and d/o at the airport.  Read A Path Between The Seas a few years back, quite the story of the construction.  Unfortunately, last night I coulda booked for $200 cheaper as this a.m. that fare is now sold out.  Gotta strike when the iron's hot.

2013-12-16 3:36 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Fred has had many Mentor groups. I think Fred needs a break. Lets let Fred have a year so he can focus on Fred and crush some souls. For what it is worth I will be starting a group. I don't know what to really offer except my years of experience and dedication to the group. I am confused on what to focus on. Maybe newbies, but I want to focus on HM distance.

I like the repeating focus on soul crushing around here!    Just sayin'

As we're on the topic, for those that have been around a while, how do (did) you pick which mentor groups to join?  Focus is one, obviously, but it's not always evident from the title or bio.  Reputation of the mentor, too, but if you're new, that's a tough one…  This could be a good topic for TT just before the groups open, perhaps (hint for anyone with thoughts on it - I'm still trying to figure it out).

I'll keep an eye out for your HIM group.  I did one HIM last year at the end of a season more focused on the Olympic distance (and semi-lurked on Fred/Jason's HIM group - thanks guys!), and plan to focus on a more HIM specific year in 2014 with perhaps 2 A race HIMs (and a bunch of sprints and Oly's for fun).  Provided the body, work and family cooperate, of course.  

Matt

Focus can be good. The group can also mold its self I guess. Then again you can just throw out topics and questions for the group. Oh snap this would be that hard. If Bobby can do it, so can I. Then again Bobby aka Dream Chaser is some literary genius. Didn't he write a children's book? How many miss spelled words was that?

2013-12-16 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by BrotherTri On a training note, I did a 5' Power Test. Boy am i out of cycling shape.... CompuTrainer 5’ Power Test Watts Avg 292 RPM Avg 92 HR Avg 165 At least it should get better.....

I just got notice that I have a test coming up next two weeks or so [shudder]./.....

Embrace the Suck!

2013-12-16 4:30 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

I've always picked groups with reputation of the mentor being #1, then focus of the group as a distant side note.   Not everyone picks that way though...a good portion of mentees are total newbies that don't read TT much anyway...and wouldn't know the difference in reputation.

2013-12-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

You guys were busy this weekend - lots of good posts.  We got a fair amount of snow on Friday/Saturday and I ran on Sunday.  I fell less than 2km into the run and just below my knee is now sore and bruised.  Also struggling with ongoing issues with my left Soleus - think I probably pushed a bit too hard on the threshold test .  Massage later this week will hopefully help, and I'll avoid running for a couple days.

Ouch, that sucks Neil!  I suspect if I had tried to run here today I would have had similar results.  The roads and sidewalks are a complete mess.

2013-12-16 4:35 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Tis the season!  It was mentioned to me in an email last week as well....

2013-12-16 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Ouch, that sucks Neil!  I suspect if I had tried to run here today I would have had similar results.  The roads and sidewalks are a complete mess.

Not sure what is happening. I don't remember this much snow pre-christmas in a long time.

Puppy is going on 9 years old and his best running days are behind him, but drop a foot of snow on the ground and nobody can keep up with him

We did run 1 of the ST100 together

Edited by marcag 2013-12-16 4:42 PM

2013-12-16 4:47 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Tis the season!  It was mentioned to me in an email last week as well....

I'm supposed to test as well...most likely the weekend after New Years.

2013-12-16 4:47 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag  Not sure what is happening. I don't remember this much snow pre-christmas in a long time.

Me either.  It has actually altered my training focus.  Originally, we were going to do a run focus but with so much snow down and cold weather, it's been really tough to do any runs with intensity.  So instead, gonna hit the bike and swim harder and keep the runs easier but still keep the frequency up high.  With any luck, spring will come a bit sooner...

Cute dog - our won't run with us without being annoying.  The only one that probably would enjoy it, won't do it if the others don't come.  Another one is perfectly capable of it but she hates it and just lags behind.  The other is too old.

2013-12-16 4:48 PM

User image

That's not a puppy...that's a wolf.

2013-12-16 5:50 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-16 5:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Beautiful dog Marc. Looks like a White German Shepherd muzzle looks a little short eye spaced to the side of the head. Maybe a Malamute/Husky?

2013-12-16 5:53 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-16 6:06 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran

Beautiful dog Marc. Looks like a White German Shepherd muzzle looks a little short eye spaced to the side of the head. Maybe a Malamute/Husky?

Dad was a Malamute and was used to breed sled dogs
Mom was a husky mix.

He actually looks small on the pic. He is 110lbs.

Like Fred he is a cat lover. He had 2 for breakfast :-) (pink font)

Edited by marcag 2013-12-16 6:17 PM
2013-12-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Mentor groups: I wouldn't necessarily overthink this. A good group doesn't have to focus on HIM or whatever, it helps to a degree as the training issues folks doing IMs are different than those who are brand new and doing sprints. Instead of a distance focus, you could have a swim focus or a run focus, or like Marc is doing, a power meter focus. My suggestion on the number of mentees is let a few more in than you think you can, as a number disappear within a few weeks. I've regretted not letting a few late askers in as I was trying to keep it smaller, and then the people I let in sort of quit. Lastly, having a group with no focus would be great as well. The thing I thought that I did well was just being consistent and being there on a day in and day out basis. Encourage questions and be willing to go off on tangents. I know this group is comfortable for some and many here won't look much into being a mentor, however a lot of you would be ideal mentors. A chance to give back to the community and honestly a good chance to learn something about triathlon, others and even yourself. My best BT experiences (aside from MAF threads lol) have come from mentor groups. The groups have been places where I've supported others, but honestly just as often others have supported me during injuries and low points in training, and especially low points on the BT site. Pay it forward!

Joint groups make a lot of sense. There are times we just can't be there because of work, illness and other commitments. Having a co-mentor to step in makes a lot of sense

2013-12-16 6:48 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by marcag

Not sure what is happening. I don't remember this much snow pre-christmas in a long time. Puppy is going on 9 years old and his best running days are behind him, but drop a foot of snow on the ground and nobody can keep up with himWe did run 1 of the ST100 together
. That doggie reminds me of why I'm a cat person. I'm sure he's a great dog and friend, however all you would have to do is photoshop in some red eyes and you got yourself a scary movie scene lol.

Well how happy are YOU when people stare while doing your business? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.