Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-12-19 6:42 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by axteraa

VO2max workout on the trainer this morning - 5 x 3' > 315w and then my cooldown was an hour of clearing snow with the snow blower.  Sometimes I think the snow blowing is a harder workout!  We got about a foot of snow yesterday and I just heard that we may get another one on Sunday.

snow blower ? No way man. I do it the old fashion way. Tell my son to do it. Be ignored, so go SHOVEL it myself.

2013-12-19 6:55 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'd still be out there.  My driveway is 300 feet long and I do my dad's driveway next door (also 300 feet long).

2013-12-19 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I'd still be out there.  My driveway is 300 feet long and I do my dad's driveway next door (also 300 feet long).

Can't remember if I posted this last year, but we had a good 18"+ dumping.  So, like any sarcastic Stravaholic, I of course strapped on the 910 as a joke and went out to snow blow.

I pushed that firkin' thing 1.6 miles up and down our driveway (about 200-250' long).  Felt like Monty Python's, "Sergeant Major marching up and down the square."

If I had to shovel it, I'd just have bought extra milk and eggs and waited for spring...

I did get a KOD, though (King of the Driveway).  Love me some Strava bling!

Matt

2013-12-19 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
French TV has been airing all the ITU events. I recorded one and the PVR decided on it's own to record the whole series

I watched the Austrian "sprint". Point to point, straight up. 23% climbs. An uphill T2 and then a straight uphill run. Not one flat spot, not one downhill. BRUTAL !

I felt like a wimp doing my 7x3' VO2
2013-12-19 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag French TV has been airing all the ITU events. I recorded one and the PVR decided on it's own to record the whole series I watched the Austrian "sprint". Point to point, straight up. 23% climbs. An uphill T2 and then a straight uphill run. Not one flat spot, not one downhill. BRUTAL ! I felt like a wimp doing my 7x3' VO2

Did they swim upstream, too?  

I understand that is one of the most brutal courses around.  Wish I were there!

M

2013-12-19 10:22 AM

User image

Took a tiny spill yesterday on a muddy corner while riding home.  The good thing about sliding out on a muddy corner is that the mud protects your skin from getting scraped up.  The bad thing is that you're covered in mud...LOL.  My RD didn't get scratched either, but caked in mud as well.

Luckily, I had just got my new EZ Brush (http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Detail-1001-SA-Brush/dp/B002LOP5IA) and it made washing my bike so much better.  For so long I have been trying household type brushes or sponges that just wouldn't do the job well.  This thing works great in between the brakes, in between the chain rings and the frame, under the saddle, on the hubs, and most importantly between the spokes.

I'm off work again today...probably going to do some climbing on the bike then finish up Christmas shopping.

2013-12-19 10:55 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by marcag French TV has been airing all the ITU events. I recorded one and the PVR decided on it's own to record the whole series I watched the Austrian "sprint". Point to point, straight up. 23% climbs. An uphill T2 and then a straight uphill run. Not one flat spot, not one downhill. BRUTAL ! I felt like a wimp doing my 7x3' VO2

M

The commentators joked about that. The swim is literally the only flat portion

There were AGers in that race so I suspect you can register
2013-12-19 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag

M

The commentators joked about that. The swim is literally the only flat portion There were AGers in that race so I suspect you can register

I seriously need to figure out how to travel with all my tri paraphernalia. All my races have been within driving distance, so I've just loaded up the Sequoia (aka, land barge) and gone.

Would anyone mind sharing how they approach flying to a race?  Sort of a tri-travel 101 that has worked for you?  (and, yes, I'll search old posts, too)  

I hit some great locations for work, and often can dictate when I go, so it might be one of those things where I can make the planets align for a cool race more often than not…  Even without that, it would be helpful for me, as I'm going to start the gear purchase cycle for travel (I recall a discussion on bike cases a few months back).

Thanks.

Matt

2013-12-19 12:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Would anyone mind sharing how they approach flying to a race?  Sort of a tri-travel 101 that has worked for you?

I'm getting used to it. It's pretty simple after the first one

First of all you need a good bike case. That is a whole debate in itself. I have the biknd case. The trick here is a case you can put a lot of stuff in and is not heavy. If too heavy, some airlines will charge extra, on top of the extra they already charge for bike cases

Second, figure out the rates for handling bikes. Some airlines are crazy. I personally try to get direct flights, but that is not always possible

Car rental : The nice thing about the Biknd is that when you reach your destination you can get a smaller car because you take the stuff out, throw it in the trunk and the case folds ups. If you go for a large hard case you may be limited in what cars they fit.Then again MiniVans are sooooo fun to drive.

Depending on the case you will have to disassemble your bike to an extent. I have to take off the cockpit, wheels, pedals and unscrew the rear derailleur. You need all the tools to re-assemble of course.

I always pick my hotels very close to the race start

I have a very extensive checklist of stuff not to forget, including tools.

It's all in the packing/unpacking. You can practice once at home and you should be good.

2013-12-19 12:37 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Marc pretty much covered it.  I have a soft case (Aerus Biospeed) as well that isn't heavy and can easily fit in a smaller rental car or the trunk of most taxis.  I have to disassemble and reassemble the same parts as Marc.  My bag came with some awesome padding to go around all the tubing on the bike and a padded bag for the RD.  

Other than that I make sure that nothing that gets packed in the case can float around and ding things up.  I use velcro straps and some old bike tubes to tie things to the bike (and hope TSA doesn't untie anything).

I keep saying I should make a checklist of things to pack but I never do.  I forgot my crack pipe for Miami.

As Marc said, research the airline bike fees and I would suggest printing a copy to take with you to check-in.  The agents often don't really know the rules and may try to screw you over (I'm looking at you United!).  Granted sometimes they don't know the rules and it works in your favor - in those cases leave the printout in your pocket.  

Hotels within easy walking distance of the race is awesome if you can do it.  Might want to check with the hotel ahead of time to make sure they are ok with a bike in the room.  I've never had a problem in a bigger chain hotel but some smaller places have balked and I know there were some hotels for IM Whistler that wouldn't allow it.  I have a feeling they will change their minds on that one...

2013-12-19 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I seriously need to figure out how to travel with all my tri paraphernalia. All my races have been within driving distance, so I've just loaded up the Sequoia (aka, land barge) and gone.

Would anyone mind sharing how they approach flying to a race?  Sort of a tri-travel 101 that has worked for you?  (and, yes, I'll search old posts, too)  

The top of my list is to reserve a spot with tribiketransport.com and pay extra for a gear bag (wheel bag included in base cost) and the valet service.  Worth every penny...assuming the race is on their schedule.

2013-12-19 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Birkierunner

The top of my list is to reserve a spot with tribiketransport.com and pay extra for a gear bag (wheel bag included in base cost) and the valet service.  Worth every penny...assuming the race is on their schedule.

This.  Unberlieveably convenient and worth every penny.  You can stuff a lot of crap in the gear bag.  I used them twice this year, will use them twice next year.  Although I've never gotten a quote with the wheel bag included, it's always extra

They don't go to SOS so I am exploring my options, including very likely just renting/borowing a bike in NY.  I's only a 30 mile ride.

If you have to travel with, what Marc/Arend said, especially about printing policies out.  Have to do this with dive hear too.  Another option a friend uses is fed exing his bike box (it's a very expense, british model, $700-800 or so).   But that can get $$$ I hear.

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-19 12:53 PM
2013-12-19 12:57 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I would love to use Tribike transport.  Unfortunately the nearest drop off shop to me is a 2 hour flight away.  

2013-12-19 1:25 PM

User image

I would love to use Tribike transport.  Unfortunately the nearest drop off shop to me is a 2 hour flight away.  

You need TTTBT.  Transport to Tri Bike Transport

2013-12-19 1:31 PM

User image

PT last night, wants 6 weeks off running.  That's two more weeks from this Monday.  Then reassess, but I think by that time I'll be good to go.  Pain has gone from a localized spot to more diffuse "sensation."  I know it's the right call, and I'm in this 3+ weeks, might as well be in all the way to have a successful 2014.  But I don't need to explain to this crowd how frustrating it is.  Minor Grrr

Good thing 2014 was my "have fun" season.  Reassessing the sub 5 goal for April New Orleans, thinking might be unlikely now, and I don't want to cram for it (also missing 11 days in Feb due to vacation).  But we'll wait and see.  I've really resisted elliptical/aqua and that may not have been the best approach.  Ah well. 

Swimming has been spotty due to motivation/pool closures.    But am really enjoying my trainer time for some reason, and actually looking forward to it.  Having a good show to watch helps. 

2013-12-19 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I spoke to them at Vegas and they said Montreal may be on their list soon.

2013-12-19 2:39 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChrisM

Although I've never gotten a quote with the wheel bag included, it's always extra

Wheel bag is included in the basic cost of shipping.  I think they do this because they don't allow you to ship with a rear disk wheel on, so they include a wheel bag in the cost.  You pay an extra $35 for the gear bag.  So, between the wheel bag and gear bag you can get a lot of stuff shipped with your bike.  The new valet service is sweet...you don't have to mess with your bike or transition bags until the next morning.

2013-12-19 3:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Although I've never gotten a quote with the wheel bag included, it's always extra

Wheel bag is included in the basic cost of shipping.  I think they do this because they don't allow you to ship with a rear disk wheel on, so they include a wheel bag in the cost.  You pay an extra $35 for the gear bag.  So, between the wheel bag and gear bag you can get a lot of stuff shipped with your bike.  The new valet service is sweet...you don't have to mess with your bike or transition bags until the next morning.

Yeah, i use a disc so do the wheel bag route

That's either changed or not on the west coast.  IM Canada and Miami 70.3 both charged for each bag.  AS well as NOLA 70.3 2014.  I.e., if this link comes through, wheel bag is $20:

http://www.tribiketransport.com/stops.complete?sku%5B%5D=a0LA000000GqpA6MAJ&qty%5B%5D=1

And if I choose one of the two WI shops, still charge.  So you must have some pull

http://www.tribiketransport.com/stops.complete?sku%5B%5D=a0LA000000Gqp9yMAB&qty%5B%5D=1

I wanted to use valet for NOLA but they ony do it for IM distances.

And you apparently can't do a gear bag for international other than US/Canada

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-19 3:09 PM
2013-12-19 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

This.  Unberlieveably convenient and worth every penny.  You can stuff a lot of crap in the gear bag.  I used them twice this year, will use them twice next year.  Although I've never gotten a quote with the wheel bag included, it's always extra

They don't go to SOS so I am exploring my options, including very likely just renting/borowing a bike in NY.  I's only a 30 mile ride.

If you have to travel with, what Marc/Arend said, especially about printing policies out.  Have to do this with dive hear too.  Another option a friend uses is fed exing his bike box (it's a very expense, british model, $700-800 or so).   But that can get $$$ I hear.

Agree!  If tri bike transport (or tri team transport) is an option, it is incredibly convenient.  My only "issue" with it is that you have to drop your bike off a week early (you know, so they have time to transport it to the race site...) and I only own one bike.  I know how to fix that problem (n+1, right?), but haven't done so yet.  That said, definitely considering buying a road bike this year.

I also do have a hard box for transporting the bike if TBT/TTT is not available.  I don't like to use it because 1) it's bulky, 2) it's expensive to fly with, 3) you then have to have a rental car big enough to fit the giant box, and 4) I'm hopelessly bad about taking my bike apart and putting it back together.

2013-12-19 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

PT last night, wants 6 weeks off running.  That's two more weeks from this Monday.  Then reassess, but I think by that time I'll be good to go.  Pain has gone from a localized spot to more diffuse "sensation."  I know it's the right call, and I'm in this 3+ weeks, might as well be in all the way to have a successful 2014.  But I don't need to explain to this crowd how frustrating it is.  Minor Grrr

Good thing 2014 was my "have fun" season.  Reassessing the sub 5 goal for April New Orleans, thinking might be unlikely now, and I don't want to cram for it (also missing 11 days in Feb due to vacation).  But we'll wait and see.  I've really resisted elliptical/aqua and that may not have been the best approach.  Ah well. 

Swimming has been spotty due to motivation/pool closures.    But am really enjoying my trainer time for some reason, and actually looking forward to it.  Having a good show to watch helps. 

Glad to hear your foot pain is moving in the right direction.  Hopefully two more weeks will do the trick.

If you're wanting to aquajog, I have an extra belt that I don't use....just say the word and it's yours.  In fact, I'll be in socal next week and could deliver it to you

2013-12-19 6:30 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by marcag

M

The commentators joked about that. The swim is literally the only flat portion There were AGers in that race so I suspect you can register

I hit some great locations for work, and often can dictate when I go, so it might be one of those things where I can make the planets align for a cool race more often than not…  Even without that, it would be helpful for me, as I'm going to start the gear purchase cycle for travel (I recall a discussion on bike cases a few months back).

Thanks.

Matt

Hey Matt, there was a post in Gear Reviews

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

of a wife look for suggestions on a bike case for her husband.

Trico Iron Case was one hard case tecomended. If you are traveling by air I would suggest a hard case for your bike. You really need to research the airlines on restrictions for these types of cases. The airlines have gotten a lot stricter in the luggage requirements. Some may take a hard case as checked bag, some many charge you a small fee and some many charge you air cargo fees which can be crazy.

2013-12-20 6:05 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Extreme Veteran

I feel I have lost a lot of power since the season ended. Mostly my fault, I have been lazy.

On one hand I see Arend's numbers shooting up. He deserves them, he works really hard. I remember last year him posting some workouts and thought I could pretty easily do them, No more, not even close. Am I ever glad he is on team Canada.

So I have been slowly getting back. I find working the left hand side of the power curve easier to get back into and slowly move right. No way I could do any substantial threshold intervals today.

Yesterday I did 7x3' at 295w. I was sure I could not do it and ended up kind of feeling good. Maybe I had a few more watts in me.

The more I struggle with my run injury the more I think it's not just my achilles but some plantar fasciitis. I need to keep an eye out on that. It's not critical yet.

But my swim is good ! Something has to be. I think it's my added buoyancy. Yes, let's refer to it as buoyancy.

I am going to take my 6 billion aeroplan points (from all that travel last year) and go cycle somewhere for a week. Just need to figure out where. Clermont Florida is easy(but boring). Mallorca is fun but the family stared me down when I said I was going by myself. It has to be somewhere that doesn't sound too exotic. Suggestions ? I am looking at Feb.

2013-12-20 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Wow - ask and you shall receive…  Many thanks to all for the responses on tri-travel.  Definitely will get me off on the right foot (I'll be looking at cases today).  

Now I just have to register for a couple races (and hope they haven't filled).

Marc, as for cycling in February, I'm planning a trip to… my basement.  It covers the "not too exotic" piece pretty firmly.    Perhaps SoCal, if you want climbing, although I'd be partial to NoCal (and just bring fall weather gear for any cool snaps), as it's varied, pretty and I don't mind cool.  

East coast is tough in February, I think, as by the time you get to the reliable warmth (FL, Gulf Coast, etc.), it's boooooooring from all that I've seen (and I've been in some nasty winter weather as far south as GA in February) or at least flat (there are some nice coastal areas that might be OK for riding, but flat flat flat).

I'm guessing that any place outside of N.A. is "too exotic"?

Matt

2013-12-20 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag I feel I have lost a lot of power since the season ended. Mostly my fault, I have been lazy. On one hand I see Arend's numbers shooting up. He deserves them, he works really hard. I remember last year him posting some workouts and thought I could pretty easily do them, No more, not even close. Am I ever glad he is on team Canada. So I have been slowly getting back. I find working the left hand side of the power curve easier to get back into and slowly move right. No way I could do any substantial threshold intervals today. Yesterday I did 7x3' at 295w. I was sure I could not do it and ended up kind of feeling good. Maybe I had a few more watts in me. The more I struggle with my run injury the more I think it's not just my achilles but some plantar fasciitis. I need to keep an eye out on that. It's not critical yet. But my swim is good ! Something has to be. I think it's my added buoyancy. Yes, let's refer to it as buoyancy. I am going to take my 6 billion aeroplan points (from all that travel last year) and go cycle somewhere for a week. Just need to figure out where. Clermont Florida is easy(but boring). Mallorca is fun but the family stared me down when I said I was going by myself. It has to be somewhere that doesn't sound too exotic. Suggestions ? I am looking at Feb.

Can we make a new rule that people have to say they did intervals at XXX% of FTP, rather than throwing out huge numbers that I'm incredibly jealous of?   It's also helpful to me to know if you did those 3 min intervals at 106% or 120% or 130% or whatever.  Or maybe we could make a different rule that says you only post your intervals in terms of W/kg

As for your run injury, what are you doing to treat it, Marc?  Are you doing PT or seeing someone who does ART or anything?  I'm also dealing with a little bit of a foot issue that feels like the precursor to PF and have been seeing my chiro who does ART -- I think it's helping and will be seeing him again this afternoon.

2013-12-20 8:14 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, i use a disc so do the wheel bag route

That's either changed or not on the west coast.  IM Canada and Miami 70.3 both charged for each bag.  AS well as NOLA 70.3 2014.  I.e., if this link comes through, wheel bag is $20:

Wow, you're right Chris.  I must have made my reservations for Arizona and M-T 2013 way ahead of time before the wheel bag charge was put in effect.  Oh well....I put a lot of stuff in my wheel bag - even my full size bike pump - so its worth it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.