BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-05-07 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4731207

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013 - OPEN
rrrunner - 2013-05-07 12:01 PM
melbo55 - 2013-05-07 9:58 AM
cdban66 - 2013-05-07 8:40 AM
KansasMom - 2013-05-06 11:34 PM

Here is my introduction/re-introduction/refresher:

NAME: KansasMom/Felicia 

STORY: I grew up in Eugene in the shadow of Pre. I started running when I was in the 7th grade, and continued, off and on through college. Took a break for a few years. Started back up again in grad school, and then when I got pregnant with my first (who is now 17!), I stopped. I started running again 2 1/2 years ago after gall bladder surgery. At my first 5k (April 2011), I received a flyer for a sprint triathlon that June. I had seen triathlon on television as a kid and thought it was amazing. I thought there was only Ironman, so I was thrilled that there was a distance that I might be able to do.

But I didn't know how to swim. Just enough to keep from drowning. I muddled through that first triathlon with a competent side stroke/combat stroke and then the next day, threw all that out and started to learn to swim. I took lessons and everything.

I had biked a lot as a kid with my dad, doing a 76 mile ride in 1976 and a 100 mile ride in 1977, but I hadn't biked in decades. No worry. lol

I am entering my 3rd season of triathlon and when my 6 year old saw me on "Beginner Triathlete" he said, "That's not for you. You are not a beginner. You are experienced." Hardly. He's full of good ones. This afternoon he asked me why I still ride my trainer when "you are already well-trained." What a joker.

This is my season for the Olympic distance. I am both scared and excited. More excited.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (second time) with three boys: 17, 12 (from the first marriage) and 6 (ours). During the past semester, I have admitted to my students that I have celebrity crushes on George Clooney and Denzel Washington and a literary crush on John Grady Cole, a character in Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses and Cities of the Plains. (Why is this in family status??? Because if Denzel and I are ever available at the same time and in the same place, I am going for it.)

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm coming off a running focused off-season. I think I've built up a pretty good base. I am trying to strike a better balance with the three sports from now through September, aiming for a minimum of five runs a week, with a max distance long run of 8-10 miles; 4 swims a week; 4 rides a week, building up to a 50 mile long ride (I am a long way from this distance right now.) Striking the balance has been difficult because my impulse is to go run. I must change this running only mindset. Soon.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I did a few sprints and then some running only races, my longest being 25k. I love, love, love the half marathon.

2013 RACES: Various Olympics and probably just one sprint (a local race, in which I got 4thAG last year and am targeting my AG podium this year). My first race is on May 19th, and I'm considering Branson Rev3 at the end of September. I am interested in doing a swim only race, but I am undecided about which one. There doesn't appear to be anything very local to me. Once fall hits, I will do as many trail races as I can, from 10k to 20 miles, I hope.

BODY COMPOSITION: I always want to lose 20 pounds, but never enough to actually do it. I want arms like Adrienne. I want to get rid of my c-section abdominal flap without resorting to plastic surgery. I want to come to terms with my graying hair. I am working around my grotesque bunions. 

I love this pod!!!!

Felicia, if I ever do long course, it will be with Rev3. I think the organization goes a bit further to make the athlete happy. I have heard that Branson is a tough course though.

I didn't know that you had gall bladder surgery. I think there are a few of us in here that have done so.  BTW, that AG podium you are after is yours!!!!! I can't wait to see you dooooo eeeeet!!!!

I *heart* Rev3.  That is all.

I'd like to do a Rev3 event but they don't come this far left.

Looks like they will have a Portland race in 2014 for you, Salty and Kirsten!

2013-05-07 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4723700

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)

Ohhhhh Portland! We could cause some serious trouble in Portland.

Let's do it.

2013-05-07 11:28 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I'll let ya'll know what I think of Rev3 after my race next month.  What I can say so far is very favorable.  Within a day or 2 of registration they contacted me by phone to see if I had any questions.  That call was immediately followed with an email linking to the event page so I can look for updates and additional info.

Another friend had to postpone the Rev3 event she signed up for a year ago and NO hassles they let her change the event to another time and called to make sure that it wasn't anything on their end that made her choose to withdraw.

2013-05-07 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4731269

User image

Seattle
QueenZipp - 2013-05-07 11:28 AM

I'll let ya'll know what I think of Rev3 after my race next month.  What I can say so far is very favorable.  Within a day or 2 of registration they contacted me by phone to see if I had any questions.  That call was immediately followed with an email linking to the event page so I can look for updates and additional info.

Another friend had to postpone the Rev3 event she signed up for a year ago and NO hassles they let her change the event to another time and called to make sure that it wasn't anything on their end that made her choose to withdraw.

Woah, that's pretty impressive already. Who contacts anyone by phone anymore? Let alone just to follow up. That is nice to hear.

2013-05-07 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4730633

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Richardsdrr - 2013-05-07 6:18 AM Quick question for the male manatees. I'm about to go on my long bike ride, what do you guys do with your......um........tackle? In past rides ( no comments Yanti/Salty/Joe) I have taken the skin off the meat, of the meat and two veg combo, through rubbing. I have tried tucking it down the left leg and the right leg, but the old one eyed python still gets rubbed. I have tried scrunching it up, aka codpiece type, but too uncomfortable for the baby's arm. Just wondered if you'd have any suggestions. My wife suggested to tuck the purple headed warrior in a sock. I said have we got any knee length socks, she said no, but we've got a babies ankle sock that would fit the love truncheon perfectly. The nerve.... Apologies for the blatant excuse to get in as many euphemisms for that part of the male anatomy, but it was fun

1) I love the use of euphemisms.  100 internet points to you!

2) I hear up is better than down. And chamois cream. But I"m not a guy, so I don't have any first-hand experience.

2013-05-07 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4731314

User image

Seattle
Artemis - 2013-05-07 11:52 AM

Richardsdrr - 2013-05-07 6:18 AM Quick question for the male manatees. I'm about to go on my long bike ride, what do you guys do with your......um........tackle? In past rides ( no comments Yanti/Salty/Joe) I have taken the skin off the meat, of the meat and two veg combo, through rubbing. I have tried tucking it down the left leg and the right leg, but the old one eyed python still gets rubbed. I have tried scrunching it up, aka codpiece type, but too uncomfortable for the baby's arm. Just wondered if you'd have any suggestions. My wife suggested to tuck the purple headed warrior in a sock. I said have we got any knee length socks, she said no, but we've got a babies ankle sock that would fit the love truncheon perfectly. The nerve.... Apologies for the blatant excuse to get in as many euphemisms for that part of the male anatomy, but it was fun

2) I hear up is better than down. And chamois cream. But I"m not a guy, so I don't have any first-hand experience.

I'm trying to keep my mouth shut because I was told to.

2013-05-07 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4731125

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
TriAya - 2013-05-07 11:25 AM
rrrunner - 2013-05-07 10:18 PM

Ok, a few questions for discussion...

1) I missed my run yesterday and my bike today because I have a pain in my left calf. It's not soreness, it feels sharp and almost like a thin line down the center of my calf. Not constant but I feel it when I walk. thoughts?

2) Still contemplating the bike purchase... We went to one of the larger LBS yesterday to get my race-fee refund and pick up DH's bike from getting the cables tightened up. While there we looked at some tri bikes. I asked about being fit for a specific brand/model and the salesman said they pick the bike then the fit is included after purchase. He said I could get pretty close by standing over the bike and having only an inch or so between me and the bike. So I tried that with a couple bikes but didn't have him put the pedals on any of them to try out, mostly because the one's I liked were too small or too pricey (DH was looking at the $5,000 bike with electric shifters Surprised) DH even offered part of his truck budget to get me a better bike

My current bike fits me about how the guy described so I'm now even more torn about getting a new one! Of course a new bike would be awesome! I've never had a new bike (or new car for that matter). My bike is a 2003 Giant TCR Aero 2 which retailed for $1,750 new. Am I really going to be upgrading if I spend $2,000 - $2,500 now? I told DH we'd go to one of the smaller LBS stores, where they know me better, and look at what they have but I'm torn. Besides, my Giant still has my O'side stickers on it Cool. But a shiny new bike... *sigh*

NOOOOOO! RUUUUUUUN!

If you're going to blow a couple 2-3 grand on a new bike, GET A PRO FITTING. Can't stress this enough. Having to tweak a bike in ways not optimal for either it or you is a terrible thing (generally, but especially if you've put that much money into it).

^^^ THIS  ^^^  X like a hundred.  You find a bike that fits your specific geometry, of which standover height is only a very small factor.  It's definitely worth the investment.

2013-05-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4731324

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2013-05-07 12:54 PM

Really? That worked?

2013-05-07 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4731343

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2013-05-07 11:59 AM

Really? That worked?

Yeah. I follow directions surprisingly well. I don't know that anyone has simply tried that approach. Smile

2013-05-07 12:02 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

When has that ever stopped you?

2013-05-07 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4731325

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jmhpsu93 - 2013-05-07 10:54 AM

1) I missed my run yesterday and my bike today because I have a pain in my left calf. It's not soreness, it feels sharp and almost like a thin line down the center of my calf. Not constant but I feel it when I walk. thoughts?

2) Still contemplating the bike purchase... We went to one of the larger LBS yesterday to get my race-fee refund and pick up DH's bike from getting the cables tightened up. While there we looked at some tri bikes. I asked about being fit for a specific brand/model and the salesman said they pick the bike then the fit is included after purchase. He said I could get pretty close by standing over the bike and having only an inch or so between me and the bike. So I tried that with a couple bikes but didn't have him put the pedals on any of them to try out, mostly because the one's I liked were too small or too pricey (DH was looking at the $5,000 bike with electric shifters Surprised) DH even offered part of his truck budget to get me a better bike

My current bike fits me about how the guy described so I'm now even more torn about getting a new one! Of course a new bike would be awesome! I've never had a new bike (or new car for that matter). My bike is a 2003 Giant TCR Aero 2 which retailed for $1,750 new. Am I really going to be upgrading if I spend $2,000 - $2,500 now? I told DH we'd go to one of the smaller LBS stores, where they know me better, and look at what they have but I'm torn. Besides, my Giant still has my O'side stickers on it Cool. But a shiny new bike... *sigh*

NOOOOOO! RUUUUUUUN!

If you're going to blow a couple 2-3 grand on a new bike, GET A PRO FITTING. Can't stress this enough. Having to tweak a bike in ways not optimal for either it or you is a terrible thing (generally, but especially if you've put that much money into it).

^^^ THIS  ^^^  X like a hundred.  You find a bike that fits your specific geometry, of which standover height is only a very small factor.  It's definitely worth the investment.

That is what DH and I were talking about. That doesn't account for the fact that I have long legs, so stretching over the bike is a factor. He even suggested I could ride a 57cm bike. I'm about 5'7" (depending on which convenience store I'm walking out of)

2013-05-07 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4731357

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2013-05-07 12:04 PM

NOOOOOO! RUUUUUUUN!

That is what DH and I were talking about. That doesn't account for the fact that I have long legs, so stretching over the bike is a factor. He even suggested I could ride a 57cm bike. I'm about 5'7" (depending on which convenience store I'm walking out of)

Mmmm longgg legs...

Oh sorry! Anyway, yeah first of all that is great advice above. It sounds like that poor fellow at the bike shop is a complete idiot. 

Second, so DH is sounding quite supportive. Offering to give you some of his car budget????? Must be those long legs, eh?

2013-05-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4731367

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2013-05-07 11:08 AM

NOOOOOO! RUUUUUUUN!

Mmmm longgg legs...

Oh sorry! Anyway, yeah first of all that is great advice above. It sounds like that poor fellow at the bike shop is a complete idiot. 

Second, so DH is sounding quite supportive. Offering to give you some of his car budget????? Must be those long legs, eh?

Embarassed

Mmmm, he's always been supportive so I was a bit confused when he got all weird about it a few weeks ago. So I backed of the training talk, took my bibs down off the wall, just tried to not be so "in your face" with it all and now he's giving me his truck money and offering to go watch 70.3 nationals this year?!?!?!?? Undecided MEN!

2013-05-07 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4731194

User image

Melon Presser
melbo55 - 2013-05-07 10:56 PM

I'm not male (obviously), but I have a suggestion: non-mentholy chamois cream, such as Chamois Butt'r.

Now, the real reason I had to post: LOVE your excellent use of euphemisms!!!   Reminded me of an episode of Tosh.0 I recently watched where he threw out just about every known euphemism for female anatomy in the same region, so funny!!

Oh, and good luck with your quest to protect your trouser trout!

TROUSER TROUT BWA HA HA HA

I am sooooo tired.

I really need to pack for the trip back to Jakarta in 6 hours--there's a bunch of stuff I needed to pick up here.

And now I can't stop laughing.

2013-05-07 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4731383

User image

Seattle
rrrunner - 2013-05-07 12:15 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-05-07 11:08 AM

NOOOOOO! RUUUUUUUN!

Mmmm longgg legs...

Embarassed

Mmmm, he's always been supportive so I was a bit confused when he got all weird about it a few weeks ago. So I backed of the training talk, took my bibs down off the wall, just tried to not be so "in your face" with it all and now he's giving me his truck money and offering to go watch 70.3 nationals this year?!?!?!?? Undecided MEN!

Hehehe. Welp, if it helps, women do it too. Smile

2013-05-07 12:22 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I love The Oatmeal, and every time he posts dog stuff, I see Salty's dog Stevie (PUGLICIOUS) and also her named butthole.

Now REALLYCANTSTOPRAFFING: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_how_see

2013-05-07 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4731396

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-05-07 12:22 PM

I love The Oatmeal, and every time he posts dog stuff, I see Salty's dog Stevie (PUGLICIOUS) and also her named butthole.

HA!!!!

So, no joke here are the different names of her body parts:

Stevie (general term)

Tilde (her tail)

Helen (as in Mt. St, as said above, her butthole)

Pissy Elliot (you can guess)

2013-05-07 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4731410

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-05-08 12:26 AM
TriAya - 2013-05-07 12:22 PM

HA!!!!

So, no joke here are the different names of her body parts:

Stevie (general term)

Tilde (her tail)

Helen (as in Mt. St, as said above, her butthole)

Pissy Elliot (you can guess)

ROTBL

literally

Tilde

HAHAHAHAHA

2013-05-07 12:30 PM

User image

Seattle

and now I have to post a pic

This was our picnic Friday night. Probably right before she dumped my full beer in my lap

2013-05-07 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4731421

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-05-08 12:30 AM

This was our picnic Friday night. Probably right before she dumped my full beer in my lap

If you and she then did not slurp it up to the point of sucking it out of your clothes, you've failed miserably.

2013-05-07 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4731432

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-05-07 12:36 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-05-08 12:30 AM

If you and she then did not slurp it up to the point of sucking it out of your clothes, you've failed miserably.

Smile

2013-05-07 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4731421

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2013-05-07 1:30 PM

I used to have a dog that drank beer and coffee!  She would walk right up to your coffee cup and lick at it.  She also had a very powerful coffee-table-clearing tail.  Penny was a piece of work.

2013-05-07 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4731300

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2013-05-07 11:47 AM
QueenZipp - 2013-05-07 11:28 AM

Woah, that's pretty impressive already. Who contacts anyone by phone anymore? Let alone just to follow up. That is nice to hear.

Yes, they are very friendly at REV3. Other than the pain of the rave, I thoroughly enjoyed REV3 Venice.
2013-05-07 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Asalzwed - 2013-05-07 11:54 AM

Please say something, because I'm dying here!
2013-05-07 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4731357

User image

Master
Orlando

NOOOOOO! RUUUUUUUN!

I bought my P2 first and then got the fit, but I did that because I was buying during the share the road deal they had late 2011- early 2012 (2 of you buy and each get 1k off) and figured if the bike didn't fit I could sell it easily and probably make a little profit! Otherwise, I would have been fit first.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440