BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-20 8:17 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Getting back into the swing of things.  20 min T pace run yesterday and 4000 in the pool this morning.  I tweaked my knee a bit while working on Tab's bike yesterday so I'm skipping my run today.

Who is racing this weekend??  

2014-06-20 9:16 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by axteraa

Getting back into the swing of things.  20 min T pace run yesterday and 4000 in the pool this morning.  I tweaked my knee a bit while working on Tab's bike yesterday so I'm skipping my run today.

Me, me, me, me........I am racing!!!Btw nice training Arend........but haha I am racing.....can you tell I am excited?And looks like perfect weather.
2014-06-20 10:48 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Me, me, me, me........I am racing!!!Btw nice training Arend........but haha I am racing.....can you tell I am excited?And looks like perfect weather.

Crush it James!

I might race. I'm thinking about jumping into a crit on Sunday to see if I can pick up some upgrade points. I don't know though, not sure I feel like driving an hour. I might just join the local group ride for some Sunday cruising and endurance. Decisions decisions. As long as I'm out there I'll be happy.

Also, buddy is selling me his Garmin 800 for $100. I'm probably going to grab that and mount it up so it is ready when my Powermeter finally comes in. Should be a nice little upgrade from my other computer.

I did take the dog for some trail running fun this morning and it was perfect out this morning.
2014-06-20 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hope the knee issue works itself out quickly!

Taking this weekend off of racing....I'm in full-on taper mode now.  But I'm much less of a basket case this time around than I was for SG.  I have a couple hour ride and an hour run on the schedule for this weekend....think a friend and I are going to hit some "trails" on Sunday (they're flat, non-technical trails, but full of wildlife).

2014-06-20 1:35 PM

User image

I'm beginning my "taper" for next weekend's race up Haleakala.  By taper...I'm still riding but nothing super long, but replacing it with some pretty hard efforts.  The legs actually feel pretty good right now.  My weight...not so much.  Whatever though...I'm looking forward to it.

2014-06-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Anyone following the recent news on wheels.  Zipp just released a new version of 404's called the Firestrike.  Wider, new dimpling pattern, improved (textured) brake track, and a nice $3600 price tag to boot.  Williams Cycling also released some wind tunnel results on their new wheels which have the new wide profile that the major companies are using now and it tested very similar to the Zipp Firecrests...at less than half the cost ($1200 for a set of carbon clinchers), or 1/3 the cost of the new Firestrikes.

On both accounts, it's great to see innovation on the higher end (I like the idea of an improved carbon braking surface) as well as the smaller companies being able to produce products very similar at a much lower cost (like FLO).

2014-06-20 2:06 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

I'm beginning my "taper" for next weekend's race up Haleakala.  By taper...I'm still riding but nothing super long, but replacing it with some pretty hard efforts.  The legs actually feel pretty good right now.  My weight...not so much.  Whatever though...I'm looking forward to it.

Gah, I vividly remember entering the park gates and looking up and seeing how much left I had to climb......   after climbing to 8000 feet from sea level... and knowing the hard part was just coming.  Relentless, no shade.... Still the best ride of my life, though I can't imagine actually racing it.

2014-06-20 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Anyone following the recent news on wheels.  Zipp just released a new version of 404's called the Firestrike.  Wider, new dimpling pattern, improved (textured) brake track, and a nice $3600 price tag to boot.  Williams Cycling also released some wind tunnel results on their new wheels which have the new wide profile that the major companies are using now and it tested very similar to the Zipp Firecrests...at less than half the cost ($1200 for a set of carbon clinchers), or 1/3 the cost of the new Firestrikes.

On both accounts, it's great to see innovation on the higher end (I like the idea of an improved carbon braking surface) as well as the smaller companies being able to produce products very similar at a much lower cost (like FLO).

Yes, I've been reading quite a bit on wheels lately since they are on my wishlist. Zipps are just crazy expensive for what I perceive their value to be. There is obviously still a market for it and I know lots of triathletes rocking their zipps around here. Actually find them a little less common with the bike racers. I see some but I see more variety. I've been eyeing Williams for awhile. Another smaller outfit gets highly recommended in some circles. Check out Boyd: http://www.boydcycling.com/

Handmade, small shop, good crash replacement plan. Great spec. For awhile I was also researching some of the more reputable chinese builders and had one that would build up a nice 60mm 25 wide carbon U shape rim with DT Swis 240 hub and sapim spokes for just under $1k. You could go no name hub and get it much cheaper as well. For that I'd rather the Williams or Boyd for my money.

I'm also aggressive and more of a roadie these days so I'm braking a lot more in groups and around aggressive cornering. When I was just cruising on the TT bike, I'd hardly ever brake so brake track longevity and stopping power were really not on my list of concerns. It is interesting what they've chosen to do here and I'm not sure the market is going blindly jump on this offering as much as they may have forecasted.
2014-06-21 7:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-21 8:31 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Arend - nice run (watch the knee, though!)

James - CRUSH it!

Jay - nice find on the 800!  I really like mine (even after breaking its face with my helmet)

Nicole and Jason - I hope you hold the taper madness at bay!

Wheels - I've said it before, but I went with used.  ~$2,200 for a pair of 404's, an 808 front and a 900 disc.  Had previously bought an 808 rear for ~$800 new but 2 years old in the shop (had been a pair that someone only bought the front).  All tubies, but for less than a new pair of the whizbangers, I have a full quiver of wheels that I love.  Over a year on them now and no problems (would never know they were used).

Had a fast day yesterday (well, until I got in the pool - lol!).  Felt great to open up the legs on both the bike and the run, but I was on empty by the time I got to the pool.  Going to try to ride today and maybe run tomorrow night when we get to Austin (3 day trip, which always messes up my bike and swim plans).

Matt

2014-06-21 11:57 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Go get it James!

2014-06-21 2:34 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Fred D

I paid about $3100 for 808s with a Power Tap built in. I think that is a lot of money, but I did get a power tap.

$3600 for the 404s even if they are a bit better, does not seem worth it?

I think I paid around $2500 for my custom Zipp 808 tubulars non-FC. Those current Zipp prices are crazy. I will look at others wheel in the furture. I wish Rusty would chime in on his new wheel set he put on that Felt IA.
2014-06-21 2:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks guys! Drove the course today and it's going to be a fun ride. 1st 17 miles is going to be pretty much up hill. The course boasts of 1600ft elevation gain. My experience tells me it's going to be more than that. I rode 13 miles on the back section 6.5 out and back and ended up with 600 ft elevation gain and that was relatively flat. The run was on part of what I rode and that did not include the off road section. That section has a hill higher than the fire road at Savageman, for those that know that race. Should be a fun, challenging but not fast race. I probable text Fred when I am done. My bib 741.
2014-06-21 4:17 PM

2014-06-21 4:19 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good luck James and go crush it!

2014-06-21 4:19 PM

2014-06-21 4:26 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

The high price of the new Zipps is interesting.  They either aren't feeling the effects of the new lower priced wheels and the market can support both or they are sticking their heads in the sand and just hoping that increasing the price will keep their revenues flowing.

I've been thinking of getting some new wheels for Tab and I.  Considering something like the FLO 30 that would be usable for both training and road racing.  Since they sell just the rims now, I could get a PT laced into one fairly easily.  Still considering options though.  I'm going to get a pretty decent overtime check for my time in France and may get out of cheapo mode  (but not the new Zipps for sure!). 

2014-06-21 4:37 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Have a great race, James!  We'll be stalking you

2014-06-21 4:53 PM

Master
, California

There is always a market for Zipp products despite their price.

Reputation, longevity and aeroness all play a role, but for those on any sort of sensible budget, those wheels will not entice many.

BTW I was holding a Campy aero wheel, where the set was almost $4000 in my LBS this week.

They weighed pretty much nothing lol.

I bought an older disc because I wanted the aluminum brake track.  The one I found, a shop was unloading on eBay (never used) Zipp 900 w/ powertap hub for $1700.  I got lucky and no one bid against me.  Buying Zipps at retail price is for the impatient, IMO.

2014-06-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by spudone

There is always a market for Zipp products despite their price.

Reputation, longevity and aeroness all play a role, but for those on any sort of sensible budget, those wheels will not entice many.

BTW I was holding a Campy aero wheel, where the set was almost $4000 in my LBS this week.

They weighed pretty much nothing lol.

I bought an older disc because I wanted the aluminum brake track.  The one I found, a shop was unloading on eBay (never used) Zipp 900 w/ powertap hub for $1700.  I got lucky and no one bid against me.  Buying Zipps at retail price is for the impatient, IMO.

I'm still sticking with the aluminum brake tracks too. Not sure I trust the cf to hold up as well over time for the reasons mentioned earlier and still have doubts about its consistency in performance, especially in wet weather. I really don't like it when equipment isn't predictable. Some may ask how often that really happens, but 3/4 events last year were in the rain and the last had some threatening. Two were entirely in downpours. That price is insane for the wheels too. No way for that much. Pushed past what it costs for some good frames and approaching some other really good ones. Wonder if that's an opening price for them, lowering later on?

2014-06-21 8:35 PM

Master
Northern IL

Did get some decent workouts in today, even though both rides were on the trainer. Managed 314 for ISLAGIATT, the 2 hr one. Was going to go out for an easy late-day ride on some of the paths nearby, but a t-storm came through nearly dropping a tornado on us. Spinning clouds reported, sirens went off, and it just looked bad enough that I stayed downstairs being ready to hole up. Haven't had that feeling since I was a kid.

2014-06-22 7:02 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

29:10 swim for James!  4th in AG.

2014-06-22 9:49 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas

29:10 swim for James!  4th in AG.

And a 2:36:58 bike split bringing him up to 3rd in AG!  Keep it up -- killing it!

2014-06-22 4:41 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks all! 2 hr away from home and switched driving duties. Syracuse Run is brutal! I ended up with a 1:58 run. I had some issues and probable pushed the bike to hard. But, I would not have changed a thing. OA finish was 300 something an 18/118 50-54 AG. Great challenging race and great venue. The after food really suxed. More later......
2014-06-22 6:15 PM

Good work James.   Looking forward to the report.

I had a great weekend of workouts but I am just really over electronics.   My PM has been acting up.  It will calibrate fine, then start the ride and there is no power.  Download the file and I get something like a 45,000 watt average.   I was able to confirm that it's the PT and not the garmin as my friend's garmin calibrated the same (772).   Then HR wasn't working on the brick.  Then HR didn't work AT ALL on today's long run.  And the pace was listing as X per 100 yards, rather than per 1 mile, so I had to guess at training paces.   Then I get home and the new laptop with all the software downloaded doesn't recognize any devices.   Sometimes I think I'd just prefer to do without all of it.    But I am a data geek in the end.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38743 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74224 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.