BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-02 10:09 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

That's AWESOME!  I had read the Jesse Thomas article in Triathlon, but hadn't seen that video and the results across athletes.  Actually pretty impressive difference...  Topside must make a difference, too.

So, I'm thinking that if I shave my arms/shoulders, I could totally go pro. 

Matt

2015-06-02 10:30 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

That's AWESOME!  I had read the Jesse Thomas article in Triathlon, but hadn't seen that video and the results across athletes.  Actually pretty impressive difference...  Topside must make a difference, too.

Matt

I don't shave my legs--I think everyone should shave armpits, but no one should have to shave legs.  Until someone explains how it is okay for guys but 'gross' for women.  I saw that video last year before Whistler and decided I could use the help.  First time I had shaved in about 5 years.  It didn't help that much

2015-06-02 10:51 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by IronOx

Matt

I don't shave my legs--I think everyone should shave armpits, but no one should have to shave legs.  Until someone explains how it is okay for guys but 'gross' for women.  I saw that video last year before Whistler and decided I could use the help.  First time I had shaved in about 5 years.  It didn't help that much

J and I had a pretty heated discussion about him shaving before IMAZ...partly due to that video and stats. Told him until he's closing on podium contention, it's not gonna happen. And if it does happen before that, I'm not shaving.

Of course there was the whole "if I crash..." argument, but until he does, discussion is closed 

2015-06-02 11:51 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Matt

J and I had a pretty heated discussion about him shaving before IMAZ...partly due to that video and stats. Told him until he's closing on podium contention, it's not gonna happen. And if it does happen before that, I'm not shaving.

Of course there was the whole "if I crash..." argument, but until he does, discussion is closed 

Ha!  Kim keeps threatening to wax me (I rate high on the Chewy scale).  Arms, back, chest and all... 

Hasn't come to that yet, but I don't sleep as soundly as I used to. 

Matt

PS - I did shave my legs for Galveston and CapTex - there's a first time for everything - and the dude in the video is right about how the sheets feel at night!  Feels cool and weird as he!! at the same time - true with jeans, as well.  Really really really weird feeling... at first. 

'Course, not as weird as when your daughter notes - without batting an eye - that she needs to shave cuz her legs are now fuzzier than dad's!

M

2015-06-03 5:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Matt

Ha!  Kim keeps threatening to wax me (I rate high on the Chewy scale).  Arms, back, chest and all... 

Hasn't come to that yet, but I don't sleep as soundly as I used to. 

Matt

PS - I did shave my legs for Galveston and CapTex - there's a first time for everything - and the dude in the video is right about how the sheets feel at night!  Feels cool and weird as he!! at the same time - true with jeans, as well.  Really really really weird feeling... at first. 

'Course, not as weird as when your daughter notes - without batting an eye - that she needs to shave cuz her legs are now fuzzier than dad's!

M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_C8K9x47q0

I wonder if it loses some of it's body heat regulation abilities though.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2015-06-03 5:46 AM
2015-06-03 8:20 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Matt

The wife likes my legs unshaved, and having shaved my legs before, I couldn't tell an appreciable difference to justify the hassle.

I think the crash argument is weak, because you aren't guaranteed to even crash in a way that skins your leg.  If you want to shave your legs, just say that and don't make up a justification for it.

2015-06-03 9:31 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Wow, some awesome pics Adrienne and Erin! Sorry you're sick though Adrienne and sorry about the scare with your baby Erin! Just registered for my first masters swim meet. Going to do 50 free, 50 fly, 50 breast, 100 free & 100 breast. Should be fun.

Awesome!  Really curious to hear how it goes.  Seems like a really cool addition to the racing menu (at least if you're a swimmer - I admit that I'd be embarrassed doing my big, sloppy, slow, open turns at something like that!!). 

When's the meet?  Doing any specific training for it?

Oh, and I was actually wondering the same thing as your comment on the fur-aero penalty.  I've actually asked that in the past and been poo-pooed as a crackpot (true enough, but perhaps for other reasons).  All I know is that Andy Potts - who didn't shave his legs for years as he didn't believe in any advantage on the bike - was wearing one of those tops (M2 maybe) on the bike to cover his arms/shoulders.

If covering them with some slick fabric works, I'd have to think that taping a bunch of brillo pads on one's shoulders before a ride would have the opposite effect...   

Anyone have any thoughts on that (seriously - the top vs. no top vs. fur for aero)?  I imagine it's slight, as are all of these, but I wonder if it's of a similar magnitude to the gains of one of those bike tops?

Matt

No specific training. I'm sure they'll work on turns the week before in practice, but I'll miss it as I'll be on vacation.

I've read over on slowtwitch about the sleeved tops and apparently the shoulders and upper arms make the biggest difference. A full sleeve is faster than one to the elbow, but you get the biggest gains by just covering down to the elbow. And that discussion was just about the fabric being faster than skin, not hair.

I really think you'd see a huge difference by wearing a sleeved (to the elbows) on the bike. I've got a castelli T1 that's supposedly 1.5 minutes faster on HIM distance & 3 minutes faster on IM distance. I'd bet you could double those numbers with the amount of hair you'd be covering.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-06-03 9:47 AM
2015-06-03 9:42 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner Salty your fancy pack IG post reminded me of questioning wanted to throw out here. On my weekend trail runs I've been wearing my camelbak backpack. I have it as snug as I can get it but it bounces when I run. DH mentioned that it could be caused by the weight of having my pistola in there. I don't really want to wear an additional pack or holster for that. I need to test it without that in there to see if that's the problem. DH mentioned a bungee around it and me. In not sure how that would help in addition to the belts that are on the pack. Thoughts?

Depends a bit on the pistol.  A Desert Eagle isn't going in much less than a frame pack, but a small 9mm (Shield or such) opens some options.

I know some folks who run with a belly band (there are several models out there, but that search will get you going) or if it's a very small weapon a Stowaway (not sure if that one would be good for anything more than a short run, though).  Also know several who run with a small weapon in a fanny/belly pack (that one seems like it would also bounce, but doesn't seem to bother some people).

The belly band would put the pistol closer to hand if needed (unless your weekend runs are overnight ones and you just want something in camp, then just a more secure packing method might suit, but it didn't sound like that from the question), but still concealed and not bouncy during a run. 

Agree the pack strap idea is interesting.  Would need to be a pretty secure strap, I'd think, unless it's a mini-pistol...

Is it primarily for two or four legged critter protection (no pressure to answer - just curious)?

Matt

Very good points. Mine is a .40 Glock, so it's big.  I'd figured that with the low risk I was ok with it in my backpack but I guess if I really think through situations in which I would need it then having it behind me is of little use. I am thinking four legged (or no legged). I was hoping to avoid two packs but I guess something on my waist makes the most sense.

Thanks for the input y'all. Discussions on here always make me think things through more thoroughly.

2015-06-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by rrrunner Salty your fancy pack IG post reminded me of questioning wanted to throw out here. On my weekend trail runs I've been wearing my camelbak backpack. I have it as snug as I can get it but it bounces when I run. DH mentioned that it could be caused by the weight of having my pistola in there. I don't really want to wear an additional pack or holster for that. I need to test it without that in there to see if that's the problem. DH mentioned a bungee around it and me. In not sure how that would help in addition to the belts that are on the pack. Thoughts?

Depends a bit on the pistol.  A Desert Eagle isn't going in much less than a frame pack, but a small 9mm (Shield or such) opens some options.

I know some folks who run with a belly band (there are several models out there, but that search will get you going) or if it's a very small weapon a Stowaway (not sure if that one would be good for anything more than a short run, though).  Also know several who run with a small weapon in a fanny/belly pack (that one seems like it would also bounce, but doesn't seem to bother some people).

The belly band would put the pistol closer to hand if needed (unless your weekend runs are overnight ones and you just want something in camp, then just a more secure packing method might suit, but it didn't sound like that from the question), but still concealed and not bouncy during a run. 

Agree the pack strap idea is interesting.  Would need to be a pretty secure strap, I'd think, unless it's a mini-pistol...

Is it primarily for two or four legged critter protection (no pressure to answer - just curious)?

Matt

Very good points. Mine is a .40 Glock, so it's big.  I'd figured that with the low risk I was ok with it in my backpack but I guess if I really think through situations in which I would need it then having it behind me is of little use. I am thinking four legged (or no legged). I was hoping to avoid two packs but I guess something on my waist makes the most sense.

Thanks for the input y'all. Discussions on here always make me think things through more thoroughly.

Oooh fanny packs! I am a huge supporter of the fanny pack (see my last Instagram post.) Many of my runner friends are slightly embarrassed but I constantly refer to the functionality.

However, anything too heavy might get a little bounce. 

2015-06-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Oh, happy national running day all! I am crossing my fingers I can get out today. I'm at work, we will see how it goes!

2015-06-03 11:30 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO really? I hadn't noticed ;p

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2015-06-03 11:30 AM

2015-06-03 12:43 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

For those discussing hydration packs that also have options for CC:  my ultrarunner friend recommends this vest for hydration although she doesn't 'carry':

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GN4OOHC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JTEENOA7U7ZV&coliid=I1UV4AYO5UN9CD&psc=1

2015-06-03 12:56 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

For those discussing hydration packs that also have options for CC:  my ultrarunner friend recommends this vest for hydration although she doesn't 'carry':

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GN4OOHC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JTEENOA7U7ZV&coliid=I1UV4AYO5UN9CD&psc=1

That's pretty light! It looks uncomfortable on the guy in orange but better on the silhouette

2015-06-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Yeah a ton of people love this vest.

For me, the way I look at it is that if I am going to bring this much water, I should probably have enough space to carry survival essentials. I've always been skeptical if these vests can do that. Perhaps they can but I dunno...I also wonder if they are designed to carry weight in the way TJ needs.

I definitely don't know the answer but this is what prevents me from inVESTing in one heh

2015-06-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by Jet Black Wow, some awesome pics Adrienne and Erin! Sorry you're sick though Adrienne and sorry about the scare with your baby Erin! Just registered for my first masters swim meet. Going to do 50 free, 50 fly, 50 breast, 100 free & 100 breast. Should be fun.

Awesome!  Really curious to hear how it goes.  Seems like a really cool addition to the racing menu (at least if you're a swimmer - I admit that I'd be embarrassed doing my big, sloppy, slow, open turns at something like that!!). 

When's the meet?  Doing any specific training for it?

Oh, and I was actually wondering the same thing as your comment on the fur-aero penalty.  I've actually asked that in the past and been poo-pooed as a crackpot (true enough, but perhaps for other reasons).  All I know is that Andy Potts - who didn't shave his legs for years as he didn't believe in any advantage on the bike - was wearing one of those tops (M2 maybe) on the bike to cover his arms/shoulders.

If covering them with some slick fabric works, I'd have to think that taping a bunch of brillo pads on one's shoulders before a ride would have the opposite effect...   

Anyone have any thoughts on that (seriously - the top vs. no top vs. fur for aero)?  I imagine it's slight, as are all of these, but I wonder if it's of a similar magnitude to the gains of one of those bike tops?

Matt

No specific training. I'm sure they'll work on turns the week before in practice, but I'll miss it as I'll be on vacation. I've read over on slowtwitch about the sleeved tops and apparently the shoulders and upper arms make the biggest difference. A full sleeve is faster than one to the elbow, but you get the biggest gains by just covering down to the elbow. And that discussion was just about the fabric being faster than skin, not hair. I really think you'd see a huge difference by wearing a sleeved (to the elbows) on the bike. I've got a castelli T1 that's supposedly 1.5 minutes faster on HIM distance & 3 minutes faster on IM distance. I'd bet you could double those numbers with the amount of hair you'd be covering.

I raced last year in a Pearl Izumi Octane and loved it.  Not sure if it made me faster, but It made me feel pro:

2015-06-03 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

For me, the way I look at it is that if I am going to bring this much water, I should probably have enough space to carry survival essentials. I've always been skeptical if these vests can do that. Perhaps they can but I dunno...I also wonder if they are designed to carry weight in the way TJ needs.

I definitely don't know the answer but this is what prevents me from inVESTing in one heh

Yeah, until I go ultra (um, not anytime soon) I don't think I'll need that much water. I've actually turned my search toward holster type options and think I'm goin to try this if I hear back from them that it will work in my situation.

2015-06-03 1:51 PM

User image

Seattle

Alright, this might be not allowed in TT but it is where I posted my Saint Helens Experience

2015-06-03 1:52 PM

User image

Seattle

Yeah, until I go ultra (um, not anytime soon) I don't think I'll need that much water. I've actually turned my search toward holster type options and think I'm goin to try this if I hear back from them that it will work in my situation.

So, is it 4 or 2 legged predators that you are most concerned about? 

2015-06-03 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So, is it 4 or 2 legged predators that you are most concerned about? 

Four legged (or none), mostly. I figure the likelyhood of a human meaning me harm up there is much less likely. (Of course, there were the bandits in Las Cruces ).  I've considered carrying just my OC but I know from experience that animals are sometimes unaffected by it 

2015-06-03 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I look at that and think chafing!!

2015-06-03 2:54 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

It's got some really good reviews for people that use it running. I do want to be able to wear it on my back tho

2015-06-03 3:12 PM

User image

Seattle

It's got some really good reviews for people that use it running. I do want to be able to wear it on my back tho

How are you going to handle hydration for the PPA

2015-06-03 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

How are you going to handle hydration for the PPA

I'm planning to wear my Camelbak. I could probably get away with my bottle belt and re-fill at the aid stations but since I'll be using the Camelbak for training runs I figured I'd stick with that. It also removes the risk of there not being water at the aid stations.

2015-06-03 5:22 PM

User image

Seattle

OMG if they don't have water at aid stations some people might freekin' die

2015-06-03 7:12 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Just got back from marking the 25 mile BikeMS route. I can't ride it this year because it's Sunday - same day as my HIM but I always mark the route.

There's just something fun about going for a ride with 6 cans of spray paint and legally writing on the pavement all around town! And yes, it's paint, not chalk. It lasts until the following year!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29147 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.