of 171

2011-03-30 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3421111

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

TrevorC - 2011-03-30 9:25 AM

I want/need to continue to drop some lbs and then only way to do it is to cut out the useless eating.

just wait a few months. 

2011-03-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3420985

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 7:10 AM

Hey!  Could it be mid week already?  Must mean it's a time to tell us your weekend RACE plans!  So?

We've been talking a lot about eating healthy and Spring re-sets....is there anything you'd like to change about your eating strategy? what? doing anything about it???

Nothing here this weekend but getting close.

Like Kyla, I am getting ready to spend most nights at the baseball fields starting the week after next.  That makes eating dinner not too good - sometimes PB&J, sometimes a burger or hot dog.  I tend to do great at work because I pack lots of fruits, have a stash of nuts in my desk, make a sandwhich or get a salad from the cafeteria.  At home though, I tend to eat just because.  Need to stop that!

If it ever warms up and stops snowing here, like John, most nights we are cooking at home there will be something on the grill.

2011-03-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3420488

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

And to think I can say I knew you when...

George: Good call on the pool, although maybe a bit wussy. Had you toughed it out you might have been able to experience joys like throwing up in your mouth!! Ha!! I loathe warm pools!!

I was pretty close to this after 500 yards!

Edited by gdale 2011-03-30 8:50 AM
2011-03-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3420870

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
fowlmood - 2011-03-29 11:19 PM
gdale - 2011-03-29 12:10 PM

Planned to swim today at lunch but when I got there the water was 89.5º!!!! Way too hot to swim. Swam 5 x 100, and gave up. Headed out to the treadmill.

Apparently the computer controlling pool temp was not working which caused it to heat up. Normally temp is about 84 and while it is on the warm side, I never had a problem swimming in that.  The pool today actually felt warmer than my shower this morning...blech.

G

if you think that is hot you ought to try swimming where I do it usually runs from 90 to 94 degrees. I didn't know you could actually sweat in water. Don't have a choice since it is the only indoor pool within 50miles of me.

Wow!  What do they keep the hot tub at...120?

2011-03-30 9:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 5:10 AM

Hey!  Could it be mid week already?  Must mean it's a time to tell us your weekend RACE plans!  So?

We've been talking a lot about eating healthy and Spring re-sets....is there anything you'd like to change about your eating strategy? what? doing anything about it???

Gotta short 10k this Saturday

2011-03-30 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3421145

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
gdale - 2011-03-30 9:35 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 7:10 AM

Nothing here this weekend but getting close.

Like Kyla, I am getting ready to spend most nights at the baseball fields starting the week after next.  That makes eating dinner not too good - sometimes PB&J, sometimes a burger or hot dog.  I tend to do great at work because I pack lots of fruits, have a stash of nuts in my desk, make a sandwhich or get a salad from the cafeteria.  At home though, I tend to eat just because.  Need to stop that!

If it ever warms up and stops snowing here, like John, most nights we are cooking at home there will be something on the grill.

HA yeah yesterday daughters ballet until 4:45, rush home get son to finish homework then he had soccer practice at 5:30, daughter now also has soccer on saturdays so 2 games, should be interesting trying to get it all in.

2011-03-30 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3421181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
gdale - 2011-03-30 7:52 AM

Planned to swim today at lunch but when I got there the water was 89.5º!!!! Way too hot to swim. Swam 5 x 100, and gave up. Headed out to the treadmill.

Apparently the computer controlling pool temp was not working which caused it to heat up. Normally temp is about 84 and while it is on the warm side, I never had a problem swimming in that.  The pool today actually felt warmer than my shower this morning...blech.

G

if you think that is hot you ought to try swimming where I do it usually runs from 90 to 94 degrees. I didn't know you could actually sweat in water. Don't have a choice since it is the only indoor pool within 50miles of me.

They don't have one this is a physical Therapist office and the people with arthritis don't like to cold below 92 to them. so since beggers can't be choosy I just suck it up and get it done.

2011-03-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3421098

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-30 6:13 AM
kkcbelle - 2011-03-30 8:52 AM

No racing. I'd like my husband to eat more vegetables. So I keep trying to prepare them in palatable ways. And then I eat lots of leftover veggies. I'm also at a time of year when family dinners are impossible (Thing 1 home from baseball after Thing 2's bedtime, and we can't eat dinner at 4pm). There's no good way around this right now, but I just hate it. I am very big on family dinners. It also means that a couple of nights a week my dinner is on the go, which usually means PBJ and fruit. Oh well!! I am trying to prepare real meals in spite of the scheduling, either in the crockpot or just have 'em ready to go at 4pm (and hubby can re-heat when he's ready to eat and I can eat leftovers the next day for lunch or whatever).

i hear you.  we try our best to make sure family dinners happen every weekday night.  i'm sitting here trying think when the last one we missed was and can't.  that's good.  crockpots are good friends of ours.  we're even thinking about getting a second one.   and now that we have some light in the evening the grill is fired up more and the kiddos can play outside while we (ME) cook. 

and i forgot to mention, i threw away another belt last night.  ran outta holes! 

edit... but sometimes like today when its pouring rain this morning  and we have a soccer game this evening i do kinda secretly hope that it doesn't stop raining.  ;-)

Get the second crockpot. If you have the storage space, you won't regret it. I have two and love it. Comes in especially handy, too, for holidays or big entertaining days (SuperBowl, whatever). I also love crockpot cooking in the summer, as it doesn't heat up the house!!

2011-03-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3421240

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
fowlmood - 2011-03-30 7:16 AM
gdale - 2011-03-30 7:52 AM

G

They don't have one this is a physical Therapist office and the people with arthritis don't like to cold below 92 to them. so since beggers can't be choosy I just suck it up and get it done.

Hey!  I've got arthritis, and I HATE a warm pool!!  Bring on the 78......

2011-03-30 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 6:10 AM

Welp, my half-mary bib is officially sold Cry, so I have no races on my schedule until July 17.  I'm dying to get another one in there, but with this internship in the fall being unpaid and me not having a paid position for the summer yet, I just don't think it's going to happen.  I am thinking that I will sign up for a half-mary while I'm in Portland this fall.  The Portland Half-Marathon is already closed (!) so that's out unless I want to dish out the money for a charity spot, but the Run Like Hell half-marathon is in late October, so that might be another good option.  Anybody done or heard of this one?

Hmmm.  Eating strategy...  This is tough.  I've already made huge improvements on my eating strategy in the last year just by being aware of what I buy and put in my fridge/cabinets.  I eat a lot more fresh foods than ever before.  In the grocery store, I'm usually done shopping by the time we hit the shelves in the middle (they call me a perimeter shopper).  I've become hyper-aware of what a normal portion should look like and how many calories things are.  However, that's where my BIGGEST problem is: I ONLY understand calories.  I can't fully comprehend what percentages of fats, proteins, carbs, etc, that I should be putting in.  And I don't always know what I should be eating at what times, relative to training. 

Also, it's double hard that Ryan is the pickiest eater ever (literally, pizza, spaghetti, hot dogs, mac and cheese, pb&j, cereal, and burgers are ALL he will eat).  It's tough to make separate meals from your husband every night, so some nights I fall into the "oh, I'll just have what he's having to make it easier" routine.

I'm trying to read as much as possible about eating balanced, and I LOVE cookbooks.  I buy a ton of them, then give them to Ryan to tab pages he MIGHT eat, and then I try to cook those meals.  If he likes one meal out of a cookbook, I'm a happy camper.  I haven't yet gotten into crock pot cooking, but apparently I should.  Maybe I will try to pick up a cookbook for that!

Anyway, thanks for listening to the ramble.  This is a fascinating topic for me, and I love talking about it!

2011-03-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

No racing here......but I am sneaking off to Vegas on Sunday with hubby!  He's going for business, and I'm tagging a long for a couple of days.   This year is our 25th wedding anniversary, and we're not going to be able to do a big trip, so we're going to try for lots of little ones!

My diet is a constant work in progress.  Today I had grapenuts for breakfast, but I put brown sugar on them.  I think I need a healthy dose of self-control.

Family dinners are huge, and we did them for years.  It's tough now.....Beth's gone most of the time at school (duh) and Tyler's practices go until 7:30-8:30 at night, and Zach' range from 5:00 finishes to 7:00 finishes.....Love the crockpot, but it's rare that we all sit down during the week anymore. Frown

2011-03-30 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 4:10 AM

I would like to try to get in a little bit more veggies and fruits than what I'm eating now.   

I'm a lot like Erica's Ryan.  I like mac and cheese, burgers, PB&J, etc. Comfort foods is my thing.  I rarely drink soda, or rarely eat a portion that's way too much (such as 2 burgers, 1/4 pound steak, a bag of potato chips, etc) in calories.   I'm trying other flavors, but if it's something that I don't like the flavor of it, I don't eat it - I don't care how healthy they are.  I could never eat peppers, tuna fish, onions, or mushrooms.   I do have a bit of a sweet tooth.  I like sweeter stuff over salty/plain.   I'm going to try the steel cut oats and see if I like it.  I really like oatmeal (Quakers Maple and Brown Sugar), so at least I can try to change it out a little bit.  Today - I went to make myself cereal like I've always had for years...and I couldn't stand the taste of it...that's a first.   

I'm glad that I don't have issues with caffeine. The only thing that I do eat with caffeine is tea, and I have it about 3-4 times a week.  Nothing else. :-P

2011-03-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3421370

User image

Master
Sin City
velcromom - 2011-03-30 8:08 AM

No racing here......but I am sneaking off to Vegas on Sunday with hubby!  He's going for business, and I'm tagging a long for a couple of days.   This year is our 25th wedding anniversary, and we're not going to be able to do a big trip, so we're going to try for lots of little ones!

ENJOY!!

IF you want to splurge a little bit - I *HIGHLY* recommend that you go to Roy's Restaurant on Flamingo.   I went there yesterday with my fiancé (who has the name Roy also), and the food was SUPERB! The scallops were HUGE!  The Creme Brulee - I died and went to heaven.  If you reserve online, they will ask "what's the occasion", and put down 25th Anniversary - you'll be treated like true guests. They put in a special message in the menu especially for you (and you can take it home also), and they will take a picture for you and give you a simple, desert with a nice message in chocolate.   TOTALLY worth it. :-)

Check out the Pinball Museum if that strikes your fancy. :-)

Belliago - check out the conservatory - very nice. And around the corner is the world's largest chocolate fountain. The crepes are to die for. :-)

Want a good buffet?  Go to World's Buffet at the Rio.  I've gone to a few, and I found this one to be the best and more options.

Enjoy your getaway!

2011-03-30 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 6:10 AM

Still no racing for me!

Pretty much everyone now knows my vice was fake sugar--mainly in the form of SF popsicles and gum. Since doing the reset, fake sugar is pretty much gone.  I do have an occasional swig of diet caffeine free coke.  As a result, I've really upped my H20 intake a lot.  I also just became more mindful of what I put in my pie hole.  Now, I actually stop and think "granola bar or an orange"....the weird thing is no weight loss, but I look better if that makes any sense.  Strangely since returning from HI and getting more into this mode, my RHR has dropped 10 beats....I am almost becoming Twin-like

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-03-30 10:56 AM
2011-03-30 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Today, my Garmin battery gave out during my run warm up.  It was extremely liberating to dump the giant Garmin back in the car and take off the ever so annoying HR strap as I put Ripley into the (windows cracked open) truck... 

Luckily I did this exact 3 mile repeat run last week, so knew exactly where to hit my mile marks.  Not sure, but I bet I ran them faster than when I have the watch.  Sometimes its fun to just turn it loose! 

A few things, reading back over this morning's posts:

Bryce, what is a "short" 10k?  are you going to take a shortcut?

Erica- I am a huge fan of my public library for cookbooks.  It gives us a chance to try out different recipes and if we end up liking the cookbook then we can always buy it.  Our library system in SF is amazing, we can pretty much order anything online and they send it to our local branch which is a walk from home!  (then again there is always, foodnetwork.com)  my best friend works for their website and it really is amazing!

DJ- when you say different flavors are you talking barbeque, salt and vinegar, sour cream and cheddar???  I am a chip lover and it is one of my major downfalls.  Lately Kathy is buying us popchips, which are maybe just a little better for us but of course we should be eating home-made pita chips or something like that. 

2011-03-30 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3421508

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
kt65 - 2011-03-30 11:02 AM

Today, my Garmin battery gave out during my run warm up.  It was extremely liberating to dump the giant Garmin back in the car and take off the ever so annoying HR strap as I put Ripley into the (windows cracked open) truck... 

Luckily I did this exact 3 mile repeat run last week, so knew exactly where to hit my mile marks.  Not sure, but I bet I ran them faster than when I have the watch.  Sometimes its fun to just turn it loose! 

A few things, reading back over this morning's posts:

Bryce, what is a "short" 10k?  are you going to take a shortcut?

Erica- I am a huge fan of my public library for cookbooks.  It gives us a chance to try out different recipes and if we end up liking the cookbook then we can always buy it.  Our library system in SF is amazing, we can pretty much order anything online and they send it to our local branch which is a walk from home!  (then again there is always, foodnetwork.com)  my best friend works for their website and it really is amazing!

DJ- when you say different flavors are you talking barbeque, salt and vinegar, sour cream and cheddar???  I am a chip lover and it is one of my major downfalls.  Lately Kathy is buying us popchips, which are maybe just a little better for us but of course we should be eating home-made pita chips or something like that. 

I love POPCHIPS!

Public libraries are awesome.

Congrats on 25 yrs Linda.  Lots of little trips will be fun.  Tony and I are going to New Orleans in a few weeks and no workout gear is going.  3 days of nothing!!!!

Sorry about the 1/2 M Erica.  Don't worry there are plenty of races out there.  And I'd say your man needs to cook for himself if he's that picky.  ;-)  I'm almost ready to tell my son he going to have to start fending for himself and his sister if the kids gag one more time at the dinner table.

And crockpot users - we have one and use it sometimes but I have trouble finding recipes that we like.  We eat a lot of veggies at dinner and like them on the crisp side.  In the crockpot they come out well done.  Any fav recipes?

Good luck racers and have fun!

2011-03-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3421370

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
velcromom - 2011-03-30 9:08 AM

My diet is a constant work in progress.  Today I had grapenuts for breakfast, but I put brown sugar on them.  I think I need a healthy dose of self-control.

Family dinners are huge, and we did them for years.  It's tough now.....Beth's gone most of the time at school (duh) and Tyler's practices go until 7:30-8:30 at night, and Zach' range from 5:00 finishes to 7:00 finishes.....Love the crockpot, but it's rare that we all sit down during the week anymore. Frown

I think you are forgetting something... Maybe today was an off day though.

2011-03-30 12:48 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Hey No racing here. First running race of the season locally was two weeks ago. Next one is April 16th.. then the season picks up around here. I doubt I will be doing that one either.

Injury and poor weather has me set back and depressed that is for sure. Although I was happy to run last week even though two of them were 2.5km and the third one was 3 km. With walking warm up and cool down and over all very slow pace running. I tried to run saturday after spending 5 hours in a car.. not smart I was in pain 500 yards into the run and had to stop and walk home. Sunday lots of stretching and loosening to make sure my knee tracked properly then managed to do the 3 km run. So I have some hopes.

Weather is starting to make it possible to get out on the bike now that is is 36 F out with signs of low 40's for this weekend. Layer up and ride.

I am interested to know more about this RESET thing. I have been stuck at 215lbs for about 4 months now with no luck at budging after Months and months of loosing weight. Officially 64 lbs down From April 1 2010 and 50 lbs since I started training to do a triathalon.

I have tried zig zagging calories, Changing foods, changing times I work out. I tried eating a lot one day hoping to reset.. all I did was go up 2 lbs for a few days. I have considered Fasting but just haven't tried yet.

Maybe I need to change something else dramtically. Any ideas or thoughts.   

I can't wait to be able to truely run again. And get back to some races.. My A race is now The TomatoMan Sprint Triathlon June 18th originally started by my wife's boss in his back yard. And this year it is a championship race and a qualifier for the 2012 Worlds. Congrats for them getting it sanctioned... and no I am not worried about qualification.. I just want to be able to finish it. 

Edited by Techdiver 2011-03-30 12:48 PM
2011-03-30 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3421798

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Techdiver - 2011-03-30 1:48 PM

Hey No racing here. First running race of the season locally was two weeks ago. Next one is April 16th.. then the season picks up around here. I doubt I will be doing that one either.

Injury and poor weather has me set back and depressed that is for sure. Although I was happy to run last week even though two of them were 2.5km and the third one was 3 km. With walking warm up and cool down and over all very slow pace running. I tried to run saturday after spending 5 hours in a car.. not smart I was in pain 500 yards into the run and had to stop and walk home. Sunday lots of stretching and loosening to make sure my knee tracked properly then managed to do the 3 km run. So I have some hopes.

Weather is starting to make it possible to get out on the bike now that is is 36 F out with signs of low 40's for this weekend. Layer up and ride.

I am interested to know more about this RESET thing. I have been stuck at 215lbs for about 4 months now with no luck at budging after Months and months of loosing weight. Officially 64 lbs down From April 1 2010 and 50 lbs since I started training to do a triathalon.

I have tried zig zagging calories, Changing foods, changing times I work out. I tried eating a lot one day hoping to reset.. all I did was go up 2 lbs for a few days. I have considered Fasting but just haven't tried yet.

Maybe I need to change something else dramtically. Any ideas or thoughts.   

I can't wait to be able to truely run again. And get back to some races.. My A race is now The TomatoMan Sprint Triathlon June 18th originally started by my wife's boss in his back yard. And this year it is a championship race and a qualifier for the 2012 Worlds. Congrats for them getting it sanctioned... and no I am not worried about qualification.. I just want to be able to finish it. 

Have any of you guys heard of metabolic typing?  Some podcasts I have listend to talk about it.  Not being an expert I could be gullable but it does make sense that not everyone responds to the same kind of diet, low carb/high fat, low fat/high carb, etc, etc.  So some people are better suited to certain diets.  There are companies that will do an analysis and tell you which group you fall in.

This is a link to a company that does them. ?

http://bioletics.com/content/metabolic-typing-fine-tune-your-sports-nutrition

Obviously it is written by a company that sells the evaluations so take it for what it's worth.

Personally I didn't do anything besides stop drinking beer and eating crap food, then add 10ish hours a week of workouts in, but even then it didn't start right away.  Weight was redistributing it self better but not coming off, then all of a sudden the pounds started dropping. So maybe it just takes a bit of time for your body to adjust.

Edited by dalessit 2011-03-30 1:10 PM
2011-03-30 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
No racing for me but I finally broke down and got a blackberry and look at me sending a message through to my buds. Man these buttons are small. Nutrition; - am trying a new cleanse and nutrition system. Hopefully it will give a little added kick to my racing. OK that's enough for now my eyes and thumbs are not coordinating anymore
2011-03-30 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

No racing for me but this is my first week of training on power. Wish me luck.   

Nutrition is always something I'm struggling with.  Thanks to lots of Sam's tips I've been sneaking veggies into our meatloafs - great tip!  I've reached the stage where I know if I don't fuel properly I feel like I've been hit by a mac truck afterwards.  However I'm still learning what the proper snacks are.  I'm feeling the need for extra calories due to training, but to be honest I'd rather go for the chocolate cake.  I'm not a coffee drinker but am trying to curb the pop intake.   

Family dinners still occur most nights but I was raised that a proper dinner is some form of red meat and potatoes, so I'm trying to break away from that.  

2011-03-30 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

i walk outside my office today and....  turkey?   i work in metro atlanta!   wtf?   almost got jacked by one on the bike last friday.

2011-03-30 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3422139

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-30 2:22 PM

i walk outside my office today and....  turkey?   i work in metro atlanta!   wtf?   almost got jacked by one on the bike last friday.

You work in Metro Atlanta?

I had no idea that you actually had a job.

2011-03-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3422180

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
TrevorC - 2011-03-30 4:42 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-30 2:22 PM

You work in Metro Atlanta?

I had no idea that you actually had a job.

You chasing it around taking a video with your phone laughing hysterically would have made my day.

Edited by gdale 2011-03-30 4:04 PM
2011-03-30 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3422139

User image

Extreme Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-30 4:22 PM

( ...  Turkeys at John's work  ...  too much comedy  ...  too little time  ...  can't take it  ...  <explosion>  )

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171