General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-17 4:51 PM
in reply to: TriGuyBri

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread
Brian-
Smart move getting the wife a sweet treat. We just want to feel loved Keep reassuring her that the training hours will lighten up soon. Remind her that she is getting a healthy, fit, hot looking husband as a result of all the training. For that reason alone, my husband puts up with me having to be a bit more selfish during this time of training.

That is exactly how I am getting myself through the rest of the long runs. I have decided that I will walk the entire time if I need to. This helps me not stress all day about the run and makes it easier to lace up and get going. Plus, I feel great when I get home because I end up running more than walking. Now I am off to go walk/run...

2013-05-17 11:17 PM
in reply to: akrenik

User image

Expert
Salem
healthy, fit, hot looking husband

Wouldn't go that far... Blush, blush......

I have come to the realization that most of my focus should be on the bike. Most bang for me. I read the comment the guy made after reviewing your logs. I too am looking at maintenance in my swim at this point, getting more biking mileage and sticking with the run as much asI can. I'll walk of I have to.. Have a great week.
2013-05-17 11:28 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Yeah it looks like you and I are at about the same spot in the swim. His advice made sense to me. Guess we both are going to start spending more time in the saddle. The crummy thing is it takes a bigger chunk out of the day than swimming and running. Oh we'll we will make time! Have a productive weekend!,
2013-05-17 11:28 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Yeah it looks like you and I are at about the same spot in the swim. His advice made sense to me. Guess we both are going to start spending more time in the saddle. The crummy thing is it takes a bigger chunk out of the day than swimming and running. Oh we'll we will make time! Have a productive weekend!,
2013-05-18 9:01 AM

User image

New user

San Diego, CA
Originally posted by TriGuyBri

akrenik - 2013-05-15 9:10 AM

Hopefully things are starting to turn around for me. I had a couple weeks where I was mentally in a low spot.  However, yesterday I read a gal's race report from her first ironman and it totally lifted my spirits.  She was the last female and the 4th to last person to finish, but she was so positive and excited that she finished.  It made me remember that finishing is my goal.  Who cares what my watch says as long as I make the cut-offs.  Perhaps one day I will want to work hard enough to be faster, but right now I just want to stop dreading each workout and the race itself.  I want to enjoy the journey.  Then to top off my attitude shift, I had a pleasant 10 mile run last night.  That is a miracle because running and I just don't get along. haha.  My knees and hips still ached, but I wasn't dying. Yay!

Brian, way to keep plugging along!  How is your wife stressing you out?  Too much time training or she wants you to train more?

Too much training when she wants me too do things around the house. Especially on the weekends when longer training is needed. I bought her some Carmel Peanut clusters today.

Doing things around the house!! Both my wife and I are training for Vineman so you can imagine what our house/yard looks like. Time for getting that stuff done is August!!

Nice job on the swim BTW, pretty decent time.
2013-05-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: mikebeck

User image

New user

San Diego, CA
Anyone up in the Santa Rosa area currently? How are the water levels, any idea what we can expect this year? I have heard anywhere from 2' where you are touching the bottom each stroke to over 6' where no one is walking.

Also, any new pavement happening up there on the roads?

2013-05-19 2:10 PM
in reply to: mikebeck

User image

Expert
Salem
I wish my wife was dong the Vineman that way she wouldn't be focused on everything else that needs to get done around here. : 0 Getting it done today so I can go run for 2 hours.
2013-05-19 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Long 4 hr. trainer ride yesterday and a 45 min. transition run after. The run felt pretty good. Started off walking for about 1/4 mile than went into a slow run about 11:30 - 11:00. I used a faster cadence, but not a long stride and it seemed to help my periformis. Slow and continuous.
2013-05-19 10:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
i had a good weekend of training. I felt great Saturday for the long brick workout. Things are starting to come together.
2013-05-19 11:47 PM
in reply to: amymengel

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by amymengel

i had a good weekend of training. I felt great Saturday for the long brick workout. Things are starting to come together.

Way to go Amy! That has Got to feel good...

Me, I am tired! So happy tomorrow is an off day.
2013-05-20 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

You aren't kidding about having a good week! You put in serious miles running and biking! Wow! You are such an inspiration!!

2013-05-21 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Well, I got through my HIM this weekend, but it wasn't pretty.  Here's hoping I can breath a bit better for my next race! 

I noticed after the race that the cover (leather/vinyl?) of my saddle is cracking.  It's just a small crack now, but with the long rides coming up, I'm guessing it will grow.  Any thoughts on whether I should replace my saddle now, or just stick with the cracked one through the race?

It looks like everyone else got in some nice solid mileage this weekend!  Nice work all!

2013-05-21 7:45 PM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by swgtri

Well, I got through my HIM this weekend, but it wasn't pretty.  Here's hoping I can breath a bit better for my next race! 

I noticed after the race that the cover (leather/vinyl?) of my saddle is cracking.  It's just a small crack now, but with the long rides coming up, I'm guessing it will grow.  Any thoughts on whether I should replace my saddle now, or just stick with the cracked one through the race?

It looks like everyone else got in some nice solid mileage this weekend!  Nice work all!

What kind of saddle are you looking for? I took off a Profile Design Tri Stryke with Chromoly Rails. I switched it out for a Adamo Road. I have no need for it. I'd let it go for a good price if you are interested. If you wanted to TRI (a little pun) it out I'd be willing to ship it to you for a check. If you like it we can settle on a price ahead plus shipping and if not you can ship it back. Not sure if it would work for you or what you are used to.

Just a thought.
2013-05-22 8:18 AM
in reply to: swgtri

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Well, I got through my HIM this weekend, but it wasn't pretty. Here's hoping I can breath a bit better for my next race!

I noticed after the race that the cover (leather/vinyl?) of my saddle is cracking. It's just a small crack now, but with the long rides coming up, I'm guessing it will grow. Any thoughts on whether I should replace my saddle now, or just stick with the cracked one through the race?

It looks like everyone else got in some nice solid mileage this weekend! Nice work all!

-----

I think it makes a nice excuse to go looking for a new saddle, you have enough time to break it in, and if you don't like it, and want your original one for the race, at least it hasn't gotten much more wear and tear on it before the race
2013-05-23 10:51 AM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
How is everyone doing this week? 65 days left!
2013-05-23 12:46 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by akrenik How is everyone doing this week? 65 days left!

It's "bike focus" week for me - then Sunday going on a mini vacation. Soooo looking forward to it and planning on getting runs in each day I'm gone (run focus is next week!).

Feeling good!

Edited by lisac957 2013-05-23 12:46 PM

2013-05-24 1:34 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Salem
I continue to struggle with my lower back and periformis in my right buttock area. Really aggravated in the early am. Am doing most of my training in the evening. I can still run, but periformis gets sore afterwards for a couple days. With ice it subsides. Swimming and biking are not too bad. Actually feels better after biking.

I am focusing more on some lower back exercises, Physical Therapy recommended pelvic, hips and lower back movements. If I have to I will give up one of my swims to be able to get it in.

July 27th can't get here fast enough, eventhough I turn 50 the next day. Damn I am getting old.

I am suppose to do an Oly. Tri on June 9th. However, I am probably not going to do it to avoid over doing it and use it as a rest week since it is an extra week I added; see if I can get some healing and light impact workouts and make a run to race day.

Be safe and have a great weekend of training.
2013-05-24 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Originally posted by TriGuyBri

I continue to struggle with my lower back and periformis in my right buttock area. Really aggravated in the early am. Am doing most of my training in the evening. I can still run, but periformis gets sore afterwards for a couple days. With ice it subsides. Swimming and biking are not too bad. Actually feels better after biking.

I am focusing more on some lower back exercises, Physical Therapy recommended pelvic, hips and lower back movements. If I have to I will give up one of my swims to be able to get it in.

July 27th can't get here fast enough, eventhough I turn 50 the next day. Damn I am getting old.

I am suppose to do an Oly. Tri on June 9th. However, I am probably not going to do it to avoid over doing it and use it as a rest week since it is an extra week I added; see if I can get some healing and light impact workouts and make a run to race day.

Be safe and have a great weekend of training.

I am sorry you are still struggling with the pain. I can imagine how frustrating that must be. You are ready to work hard mentally and cardio wise, but the body isn't cooperating.

I am having some considerable pain in my hip flexor. Don't know what started it, but it better go away fast! Funny how on one hand I think that 64 days until our race is not long enough (I need time to build up my mileage) but on the other hand it can't get here soon enough because with each workout the chance of injury that will put me off course increases.

We will get there!
2013-05-24 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Hey Bri,

I hope you start feeling better soon, it's tough enough to train for this distance without all the over use pain.

Akrenik, I am right there with ya, sometimes I think 64 days !!! no way will I be ready ! and then other times when I am hobbling around cause my feet hurt so bad, I think 64 days ! I am not going to last that long !

Okay, thats my rant, have a great weekend everyone, I have a 75 mile ride lined up tomorrow
2013-05-25 9:57 PM
in reply to: kenb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.
2013-05-25 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend.

Training away. Wow, 120 on the bike. Way to go. I did my long run today 10.4 miles and will probably be on the trainer again tomorrow for my long ride. Suppose to have hard rain and thunderstorms. I should put the trainer out on the back deck and ride outside instead of the garage. My 45 min. transition run will probable be a little on the wet side. Might fill pretty good.

2013-05-26 10:38 PM

User image

How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)?
1 year. 2 sprints and 1 in-between Olympic and sprint. 1/2 IM in 2 weeks...so I'm not totally insane trying this already. Just slightly insane...

What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you?
First one!

At registration time, what's your finish goal?
Goal: 12 hours (perfect swim, bike, and run /w some ok transition times)
Still happy with myself time: 13 hours (that run was hard)
Most likely time: 14 hours (that run killed me and I thought I was going to die)

Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general?
None. First one. I just learned to swim last year and got into biking last year as well. I decided to dedicate myself to this for about a year (lessons, maintenance, and then finally my 30 week training program).

I've very excited for this race except for the costs associated with it. My mental training needs more conditioning as I'm having a hard time running after my long bike days. On short transition days (45min bike, 30min run), I feel great but after 4+ hours biking in the sun, my running spirit is about crushed.
2013-05-26 11:00 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Expert
Salem
Originally posted by Blastman

How long have you been doing triathlons (of any distance)?
1 year. 2 sprints and 1 in-between Olympic and sprint. 1/2 IM in 2 weeks...so I'm not totally insane trying this already. Just slightly insane...

What number of "140.6" or "Iron-Distance" race is this for you?
First one!

At registration time, what's your finish goal?
Goal: 12 hours (perfect swim, bike, and run /w some ok transition times)
Still happy with myself time: 13 hours (that run was hard)
Most likely time: 14 hours (that run killed me and I thought I was going to die)

Any words of wisdom about this race specifically or this distance in general?
None. First one. I just learned to swim last year and got into biking last year as well. I decided to dedicate myself to this for about a year (lessons, maintenance, and then finally my 30 week training program).

I've very excited for this race except for the costs associated with it. My mental training needs more conditioning as I'm having a hard time running after my long bike days. On short transition days (45min bike, 30min run), I feel great but after 4+ hours biking in the sun, my running spirit is about crushed.

Even if you have to walk the first part of it make sure you head out. Today after four hrs. on the trainer I went out for a 45 min run and started off running, about 3-4 minutes into it stopped running and began to walk fast to workout the kinks. Got my legs back after about 8-9 minutes. This is my first as well. Welcome to the Vineman Full thread.
2013-05-26 11:59 PM

User image

Thanks. Yeah I have 9 weeks to iron out my kinks. I have not been doing my long day transitions as much as I should have been due to the sucky winter I had. I made a huge mistake and drank 1/2 a water bottle before my run since I was so hot. That's the biggest thing that killed me. Running is my strong suit so I was just peeved I tanked there. Thinking I may walk the first few minutes and then upgrade to a slow jog. I plan to run the Vineman with HR and GPS (since I train via HR) so that should help my pace and motivation hopefully (forgot it this last week).
2013-05-27 2:17 AM

User image

Is running 15-16 miles run suffice for a 140.6 event like vineman? I am planning on push my bike mileage to 70 / 80 / 90 in the next 6 weeks. I need to know if running 15-16 miles are suffice to get a sub-13 or sub-12:30 at Vineman.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Full Vineman Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 29