BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4734750

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-09 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4734623

2013-05-09 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4733970

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group OPEN!

This group moves fast!

Fred D - 2013-05-08 6:38 PM .

Anyone here have any race specific goals?

A few goals. My A race is Racine (July 21). My goals:

1. Have fun
2. Beat last year's time (6:09:08), 2b beat 5:50

3. Stay present, focused & hydrated during the race

4. Post sub-3h bike split

5. Be a supportive teammate to those I train with

carrie639 - 2013-05-08 9:20 PM 

Any tricks of the trade, ideas, experience, things anyone has tried and worked or failed, motivation, anything to help me handle heat on the run!

Grab ice at aid stations and put it in your sports bra, down your shorts and hold ice in your hands.

sbsmann - 2013-05-09 8:11

All that being said, what systems/config work best for all you folks for the longer distance stuff?  I would love to hear how others are set up and what you carry as far as liquids.

I can't offer much in the way of aero, but last year (on my road bike), I used nuun water in a PD bottle between the clip on aero bars and a 20oz sports drink on the downtube. Used a throwaway bottle on the downtube and replaced with Perform. Grabbed water at the aid stations and quickfilled the PD.

I'm not yet sure what I'm doing this year as I have a new tri bike. It has cages on both the seat tube and the down tube.

kimmax - 2013-05-09 8:51 AM

I guess I'm concerned that with the masters we aren't doing longer sets and my total distance is often less than my race distance.  What are your thoughts?  Do you have a favourite drill you do for longer swims?  I'm assuming a 2000m straight swim in a pool isn't the best workout.

I group swim 1x a week (swim on my own another 2-3x a week and it's in similar setup). We do a warm up and then our coach talks a bit about whatever this week's lesson is, and then we do some drills related to the lesson and then main set (between 1200-1600m) and then cool down. We average between 2300-2800m, depending on how much my coach talks and what our drills are. We never do a straight swim, even in the main set. I was concerned before that the main set is never as long as the 1900m that a HIM swim is, but it's not an issue and I felt (and feel for this year) fully prepared. Once Lake Michigan opens up I do swim some longer sets (1/2 mile, mile repeats), but that's only bc OWS is so much fun that I just want to keep swimming! My favorite swim set is four 4s: 1x400, 2x200, 4x100, 8x50.

2013-05-09 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4734613

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
kimmax - 2013-05-09 8:51 AM

I guess I'm concerned that with the masters we aren't doing longer sets and my total distance is often less than my race distance.  What are your thoughts?  Do you have a favourite drill you do for longer swims?  I'm assuming a 2000m straight swim in a pool isn't the best workout.

I think you can easily get away with doing 400-500 yards max sets.  Last year the longest swim I did was a 1000yd TT in the pool.  Everything else was smaller sets and I swam 2.4 miles with no problem at a pace I was more than happy with.  I personally think if you are doing 2000yds, 2x a week that would be enough for a half ironman.  Adding more volume or an additional day is just going to help you get faster and better in the pool, so it's definitely worth adding on whatever you can!

2013-05-09 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4733627

Expert
Mike_D - 2013-05-08 3:43 PM

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2012 I ran my first HM, did 2 sprints, and a highly disappointing DNF in my first HIM in June (bike crash)

2013 RACES:  2 HIMs (Patriot, Timberman), 1 Oly (NYC Tri), 

I remember your crash at Patriot. A guy went down in the sand behind the Dunkin Donuts detour and if I wasn't alert I would have added to it.

I've done the NYC Olympic. Great race. Few things I would recommend.

I didn't go down until Saturday and everything felt rushed. Go down Friday if you can swing it.

The day I did it the weather was over 90 and humid as could be. There is a 2/3rds mile run from where you exit the water to transition. I came out and pulled the wetsuit to my waist and ran like that. Huge mistake as I was over-heating halfway there. There are showers right where you'll get out of the water. I would run over and strip down while standing under the running shower. The cold water will bring down your core temp. The Hudson was 76 degrees that day and even without sleeves you start over-heating.

The waves the day I did it were close to 2FT high. If you've never swam in those conditions it sucks. If you have it's actually quite easy. The wave are rythmic and what I got used to doing by training in waves like that was being long and thin as the wave would hit me and then taking a stroke and the back side of the wave. I'm an ok swimmer. I usually finish somewhere around the top third. That day I finished 90-something out of 3000+. Most people hadn't dealt with it. I've never seen so many people doing the doggy paddle, breast stroke or just lying on their back letting the current take them.

Be really careful between T1 and getting on Riverside and then West Side Highway. There's a hill that isn't very long but there's a sharp corner leading to it so you come to almost a stand still. It's a bike path to the street and most people struggle climbing that incline coming from such a slow speed. One guy kept on coming into several of us who were screaming hold your line at him.

The turnaround for the bike way up on the Bronx is sharp and can be tricky.

A different hill coming out of T2 is just as steep. Careful not to spike your HR. There's a really steep long hill starting at either mile 2 or 3 in Central Park that sucks too. If it's hot take that slow.

I would do fluids like it's an HIM. It is just always so hot in the city. When I finished the two guys before me and two after all went to the med tent for IVs. I was really close to joining them.  

The course rocks and you'll have lots of fun but those are the pitfalls.

2013-05-09 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4723777

Hi,

I'd like to join a mentor group if possible. I'm really green behind the ears and ask for your forgiveness in advance if I am doing this incorrectly.

Let me know!

Alex

Name: Alex, 27 year old male

Story: I've always been "active": multisport athlete in high school, intramural athlete for past 5 years. I'm honestly the same weigh I was freshman year in high school (155 pounds... I'm skinny).

In 2011 I got the endurance bug when I finished the Philadelphia Half Marathon. In 2012 I completed the San Diego Marathon and the NYC Century Ride. Why not combine the sports, I thought. So I completed the Montauk Point Sprint Triathlon that summer (the swim... nearly killed me).

I've been training sporadically up to this point, but am kicking it into high gear. I mapped out a training plan back in January and didn't follow through on the training -- but I did follow through on the races I had signed up for (I ran the NYC Half Marathon hungover... ouch; I completed the Prospect Park Olympic Distance Duathlon without enough training... serious, serious doubleouch).

This year, I am training to complete the New York Toughman (same distance as a half ironman). My ultimate goal is to complete an Ironman next year.

It's also worth noting: I'm extremely goal oriented. I carry around the saying "DON'T GIVE UP WHAT YOU WANT MORE, FOR WHAT YOU WANT NOW" in my wallet, and I've mapped my daily routine to the minute. But apathy is my biggest fear. It is just so easy to stay in bed and not work out on a cold day. Or skip a run to get some beers with my friends. Or stay up just a few hours later finishing that action movie. Or prioritize the big work presentation and skip the swim workout.

The quest to finish a half ironman this year (and ultimately an ironman next year) is just as much about training myself to be a more disciplined person as it is about fitness.

(long term goal: I hope the kind of planning, discipline and motivation it takes to succeed in triathlon endurance will be transferable to my work life to find the drive to jump off the deep end and start a new business)

Family Status: Dating and living with a beautiful girlfriend (who also happens to have the running bug)

Current Training: Recently moved into a building with a swimming pool in the basement, and 3 avenues from Central Park in NYC. So I have easy access to run/bike/swim. Past 3 weeks I've been training almost daily... (though I admit half the time I have no idea what I'm doing holistically).

2012 Races: San Diego Marathon, NYC Century Ride

Planned 2013 Races:  Prospect Park Duathlon in May, The Hempstead Harbor Tri in June, Stissing Sprint Triathlon in July, volunteering at NYC Triathlon in July, Montauk Lighthouse Sprint Tri in July, NY Toughman (HIM) in Sept

2013-05-09 2:01 PM

Master
Just South of Boston

Scott

Thats the exact spot I crashed. The sand grabbed me and I was toast.

Thanks for the NYC tips as well. I'm getting there on Friday and hope to have a relaxed time getting ready. Should be fun raciing in Manhattan.

2013-05-09 2:12 PM

Expert
I was fairly positive it was the same spot. The guy who went down in front of me just had some minor road rash and after some F-bombs directed at himself he was on his way.
2013-05-09 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4735305

2013-05-09 2:21 PM

2013-05-09 3:00 PM

Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED!

Welcome to all the new members.

2013-05-09 3:27 PM

Regular
SF Bay area
Poop.  To slow to make it inFrown.  That'll teach me to take a vacation!

Edited by TTom 2013-05-09 3:39 PM
2013-05-09 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4734541

Master
Orlando

sbsmann - 2013-05-09 8:11 AM I'd love to talk a little (or maybe a lot) about bike hydration config for HIM's.  By config I am most interested in where people carry their liquids and what types of liquids.  Aerodynamics and functionality are key and I have made a few adjustments this year to my set up to be more aero, but I haven't quite figured out all the details yet.

This year I will be running a speedfill A2 aero bottle between my aero bars & between my arms. I switched from the profile design bottle which IMO was big, bulky and a bit clumsy.  My new speedfill has a quick fill cap (similar to the Profile Design) so I can add liquids on the fly.  I also have a sonic wing on the tail that I can configure for one or two bottles.  And finally, I am no longer carrying any bottles on the bike frame because I am attempting to streamline as much as possible.

For HIM & longer events, I normally have water between my arms and then grab IM Perform from the first aid station and would put that bottle in my cage (on my downtube in the past).  Going forward, I would like to stay with water between my arms in my Speedfill, but I am a bit leery about putting the perform/gatorade bottles in the rear gorilla cage?  I know people have issues with launching bottles sometimes in those systems and I would think a Perform bottle might be a problem.  If I can't put the Perform in the back, then maybe I have to go back to the downtube cage, which I am trying to avoid.

All that being said, what systems/config work best for all you folks for the longer distance stuff?  I would love to hear how others are set up and what you carry as far as liquids.

I have one of the profile design hand down between the aero bars systems that i put water in and a bottle on the case that i use for gatorade or the like.  I also have cages off the seat and haven't had any issues with bottles launching.  however, i do find them to be a bit of a pain, so i don't tend to use them other than to hold an extra bottle from the bottle swap if i'm not quite ready to change out when i reach the swap spot.

Anyone seen this new system?  Looks interesting.

Aerodynamic, re-fillable front mounted bottle strategically positions hydration between the rider's arms for a hidden, sleek aerodynamic profile. 

• Flip cap for quick and easy refill and no splash
  • Aerodynamic shrouded straw mount
  • Aerodynamic removable nose aids in the cleaning process
  • Bracket attaches to the aerobar extensions and offers width adjustment as well as length adjustment
  • Cage and computer mount are independently length adjustable on the bracket
  • Independent computer mount integrates with the bracket and hides the computer behind the bottle for an additional aerodynamic advantage
  • Aero HC Bottle is also compatible with Profile Design Basebar Bracket, allowing for independent positioning of extensions
  • Construction: BPA-Free, Foodsafe HDPE Bottle, injected Nylon/GF bracket and computer mount
  • Capacity:  28oz (828ml)

IN THE NEWS

"The Aero HC System is a really smart offering that is going to WOW a lot of people...it's refined, elegant and checks all the right boxes. I love it." - Click here to check out the full 4.5 star review at TriRig.Com

Buy Local Now

Views

Thumbnail view. Click to enlarge. Thumbnail view. Click to enlarge. Thumbnail view. Click to enlarge. Thumbnail view. Click to enlarge. Thumbnail view. Click to enlarge.

Edited by amd723 2013-05-09 4:52 PM
2013-05-09 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4735618

Master
Elgin, IL
I have heard about this. I have the speed fill and can't figure out how to strap it down ... Not that I have tried that hard since I am indoors on the tri bike. Need to figure that out soon. I have a 2013 Cervelo P2 if anyone has any suggestions. My first outdoor tri bike ride will be this weekend.
2013-05-09 6:10 PM

That new PD system looks like they made some advancements over the old PD aerodrink.  I'm not a real big fan of the straw sticking out, and I prefer my computer way up front, so I don't think this system is ideal for me.

One of the things that used to irritate me about the old PD aero drink was that the mount didn't always keep the bottle vertically straight.  Sometimes if you hit a bump, the bottle would shift slightly left or right.  This system seems a lot more stable and I like the idea of a flip cap for the refil spout.

2013-05-09 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4735692

2013-05-09 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4735505

2013-05-09 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4735692

Elite
PEI, Canada
tri808 - 2013-05-09 8:10 PM

That new PD system looks like they made some advancements over the old PD aerodrink.  I'm not a real big fan of the straw sticking out, and I prefer my computer way up front, so I don't think this system is ideal for me.

One of the things that used to irritate me about the old PD aero drink was that the mount didn't always keep the bottle vertically straight.  Sometimes if you hit a bump, the bottle would shift slightly left or right.  This system seems a lot more stable and I like the idea of a flip cap for the refil spout.

Dcrainmaker did a review, he wasn't a big fan - I think the computer mount placement and angle were a big issue for him.  It caused an increase in drag for him - tested at that new velodrome aero testing center.

2013-05-09 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4734554

2013-05-09 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4734750

2013-05-09 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4735703

Master
Orlando
axteraa - 2013-05-09 6:19 PM
tri808 - 2013-05-09 8:10 PM

Dcrainmaker did a review, he wasn't a big fan - I think the computer mount placement and angle were a big issue for him.  It caused an increase in drag for him - tested at that new velodrome aero testing center.

I'll have to check out his review. One thing I like about the straw systems is it gives me no excuse not to drink and I tend to forget, so that is worth the lack of aero for me. The computer placement isn't an issue, I just wear my garmin. Now, a non stable system would be a draw back. Also, this is pretty pricey.

2013-05-09 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4735723

2013-05-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4734381

2013-05-09 6:54 PM

2013-05-09 7:32 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Have to post this up.

Did a 5.75 miler with Kim (better half) at her HM race pace (well, she might have pushed closer to a tempo run - she's like that) this morning.  Terrific start to the day.

However, as much as I LOVE to run with her (fave workout), I think tonight's workout might have taken the cake for the best workout of the day.  Just finished an OWS at Walden Pond.  First OWS of the season.  First OWS at Walden - ever for me, despite living right flippin' here.  

Sun showers and pure awesomeness!  Laughing

That is all.

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51