BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2284723

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 1:47 PM I hesitated writing this earlier, but then I rationalized we all have thighs and groins so I am putting this question out in all seriousness.  I need a solution to eliminate chafing in that area.  I use BodyGlide and on longer rides it is not cutting the mustard.  Does anyone have this issue? how in the heck do you deal with it?

x2 on the Chamois Butter for long rides. 

I felt like I had to have it for the HIM so I bought a new tube a couple days before.  Thinking of Ryan's awesome words of wisdom about take your time in transition, I figured I might lose 15 seconds in transition but will be happier on the bike. 

So I get out of the water head into transition. I reach for the tube and nothing comes out.  The first hint of trouble shows so I squeeze the heck out of the bottle.  The entire contents blow out the back end all over my stomach and chest.  I forgot to take the silver seal off the cap.  Dude next to me was laughing his a$$ off.  I just swiped a handful off my tri top, shoved it down smy shorts and off I went.  Worked out well. 

2009-07-14 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Raleigh
FYI: Hey everyone, Izzy is moving to Mexico and selling his tri-bike! What is up with that?

Doug
2009-07-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2284764

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-07-14 2:01 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 1:47 PM I hesitated writing this earlier, but then I rationalized we all have thighs and groins so I am putting this question out in all seriousness.  I need a solution to eliminate chafing in that area.  I use BodyGlide and on longer rides it is not cutting the mustard.  Does anyone have this issue? how in the heck do you deal with it?

I felt like I had to have it for the HIM so I bought a new tube a couple days before.  Thinking of Ryan's awesome words of wisdom about take your time in transition, I figured I might lose 15 seconds in transition but will be happier on the bike. 

So I get out of the water head into transition. I reach for the tube and nothing comes out.  The first hint of trouble shows so I squeeze the heck out of the bottle.  The entire contents blow out the back end all over my stomach and chest.  I forgot to take the silver seal off the cap.  Dude next to me was laughing his a$$ off.  I just swiped a handful off my tri top, shoved it down smy shorts and off I went.  Worked out well. 

LMAO!  I think a camera crew should just follow you around...  Guaranteed must see TV!

2009-07-14 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2284819

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-07-14 1:19 PM

LMAO!  I think a camera crew should just follow you around...  Guaranteed must see TV!

And the show would be called ,"Did that just happen?"
2009-07-14 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2284842

User image

Expert
B'ham

TrevorC - 2009-07-14 12:25 PM
ashort33 - 2009-07-14 1:19 PM

And the show would be called ,"Did that just happen?"

Or "You can't make this stuff up"

2009-07-14 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2284811

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

DougRob - 2009-07-14 2:15 PM FYI: Hey everyone, Izzy is moving to Mexico and selling his tri-bike! What is up with that?

Doug

But buying a roadie since it very hilly and mountainous where he is going...

2009-07-14 3:00 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

fattyfatfat - 2009-07-14 12:01 PM

John, thank you so much for making me LMFAO here!!!  I have been just going through these posts thinking about my profile aero-drink and how to keep from splashing and then you share yet another hilarious tri-related tidbit!!!  Love that about you! 

I sat down this morning for breakfast and the news showed possible 98 degrees in Sonoma on Sunday.  Wouldn't it be perfect to have a heatwave just in time for Vineman?    Needless to say, I have been very conscious of my H20 since Saturday.  Will just have to deal with what we get.    Praying for fog!

2009-07-14 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
The tracking is showing that my wetsuit rental is sitting on my porch!  I'm excited to try it, but bummed that I have a bike scheduled for after work.  It is, however, my last long workout before my race next weekend - so I am glad about that!!  I just want to try the wetsuit on!!  And probably laugh at myself in the process!!  Any tips for getting it on?  I'll let you know how it goes!

Karen
2009-07-14 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2284987

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
gadgetlaw - 2009-07-14 2:14 PM The tracking is showing that my wetsuit rental is sitting on my porch!  I'm excited to try it, but bummed that I have a bike scheduled for after work.  It is, however, my last long workout before my race next weekend - so I am glad about that!!  I just want to try the wetsuit on!!  And probably laugh at myself in the process!!  Any tips for getting it on?  I'll let you know how it goes!

Karen

bread bags over the feet to get them through. Make sure your nails are short, or be careful!! Get the legs hiked up really high as its a pain when you try to throw your arms in. Really work it up from the tummy .
Or don't listen to me, but how about Chris McCormack......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHw_TkFEdE
2009-07-14 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2284987

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
gadgetlaw - 2009-07-14 3:14 PM The tracking is showing that my wetsuit rental is sitting on my porch!  I'm excited to try it, but bummed that I have a bike scheduled for after work.  It is, however, my last long workout before my race next weekend - so I am glad about that!!  I just want to try the wetsuit on!!  And probably laugh at myself in the process!!  Any tips for getting it on?  I'll let you know how it goes!

Karen

Hey Karen

Have you OWS in a wetsuit before?  If not, I highly recommend you give it a whirl at least a couple of times before the big day.  I usually leave my socks to get the wetsuit on.  You might also consider using Playtex Living Gloves if you have nails.  It is easy to rip them. I used to do that and now I just cut my nails down to nothing.  Finally,  get all wrinkles out of it behind your knees and pull the arms up really well around the shoulders.  It will give you greater mobility.  Have fun and enjoy your ride tonight.

And for whoever said that one of the brands contains aquaphor that doesn't sount at all exciting to me!  Way to close to stuff and not something i need to experience during a race.Surprised  And I simply cannot see myself sticking my hands down my pants to rub Tongue out.....well never mind! 
2009-07-14 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2285309

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 6:07 PM
gadgetlaw - 2009-07-14 3:14 PM The tracking is showing that my wetsuit rental is sitting on my porch!  I'm excited to try it, but bummed that I have a bike scheduled for after work.  It is, however, my last long workout before my race next weekend - so I am glad about that!!  I just want to try the wetsuit on!!  And probably laugh at myself in the process!!  Any tips for getting it on?  I'll let you know how it goes!

Karen

Hey Karen

Have you OWS in a wetsuit before?  If not, I highly recommend you give it a whirl at least a couple of times before the big day.  I usually leave my socks to get the wetsuit on.  You might also consider using Playtex Living Gloves if you have nails.  It is easy to rip them. I used to do that and now I just cut my nails down to nothing.  Finally,  get all wrinkles out of it behind your knees and pull the arms up really well around the shoulders.  It will give you greater mobility.  Have fun and enjoy your ride tonight.

And for whoever said that one of the brands contains aquaphor that doesn't sount at all exciting to me!  Way to close to stuff and not something i need to experience during a race.Surprised  And I simply cannot see myself sticking my hands down my pants to rub Tongue out.....well never mind! 

Karen, which suit did you get if you went with wetsuitrental.com and they sent you the Synergy, the one I got seemed to be the thickest wetsuit I have seen, also very easy to get on and to move it around to where you need it.

Suzy, you have to read the labels on the various creams, each seem to contain something different. Chamois Butter seems to be very benign.  I use it libreally on long rides and no issues to speak of....

Writing this from hotel in Omaha, Nebraska today.  Will be back in town tomorrow, have to push off my 6 mile run, heading out here in a few to a good steak dinner and a few drinks.

Up to 27 miles this week, not much for superwoman SuzyLaughing but it's a lot more than I have done before.

2009-07-14 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2285309

User image

Elite
san francisco

SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 3:07 PM

Karen

Hey Karen

I like the Assos cream which i think has Aquaphor...it's kind of tingly.  But I have used the one with the cow on it ( udder budder???)  I just put it on there before my tri shorts (AT HOME, not T1!!!) and put the wetsuit over, I think it was fine in my olympic). 

Oh, w/ respect to the profile aerodrink, I think I am going to try duct taping the top so there is no splashing.  I will keep the ability to open the top black ring when refilling my Infinit...the splashing made me crazy this weekend...and that way maybe I can fit more fluid in without the yellow spongy thing. 

2009-07-14 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2285439

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2009-07-14 5:20 PM

SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 3:07 PM

Karen

Hey Karen

I like the Assos cream which i think has Aquaphor...it's kind of tingly.  But I have used the one with the cow on it ( udder budder???)  I just put it on there before my tri shorts (AT HOME, not T1!!!) and put the wetsuit over, I think it was fine in my olympic). 

Oh, w/ respect to the profile aerodrink, I think I am going to try duct taping the top so there is no splashing.  I will keep the ability to open the top black ring when refilling my Infinit...the splashing made me crazy this weekend...and that way maybe I can fit more fluid in without the yellow spongy thing. 

Hey Kim ...there was a thread on here recently about spillage...One person said to use cellophane over the top and pop the straw thru the hole?? I think I may need to try Assos cream...Its kind of tingly...Thats what I need!!!
2009-07-14 7:11 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
I also use the Assos Cream and find it works pretty good!  Suzy the other side this of this is that you really putting a lot more time in the saddle..... That "area" does get used to it.  The tingle is not a real strong tingle.  More like a cooling.
2009-07-14 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Okay, a couple of observations and questions (that will show my lack of knowledge!) for the evening!

I took the wetsuit out of the box.  No.  Way.  That.  Tiny.  Thing.  Will.  Fit.  This.  Athena.  Body.  NO WAY!!

DO NOT ride on a road that has just been tarred and chipped.  NEVER!

During my ride, I found that I kept shifting back in the saddle when trying to get up big hills.  Does this defeat the entire benefit of a tri bike?

My lowest gears were slipping a good bit.  Is this a rear derailleur problem?  I have made adjustments, but it doesn't seem to help.  Maybe I haven't found the right adjustment, or could it be something else?  (Told you they are stupid questions!)

Thanks for the wetsuit tips everyone.  I am going to try on the suit tonight - just because I want to see how it feels.  I plan to go to the State Park tomorrow after work (and as many times as I can) to swim.  I have never even seen a wetsuit up close, so I have no idea if this seems thick or thin or just right!? Undecided  Wish me luck...

Karen
2009-07-14 7:35 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
As far as your derailleur goes it sound like the cage may be misaligned. The adjustments control the range of movement of the cage and therefore usually affect the largest and/or smallest gears. If more than one intermediate gear is giving you problems then the cage may be pulling the chain out of alignment. Have an LBS look at it. It is a quick fix.

2009-07-14 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Man...you guys have been busy!  We took a quick trip to the beach for a couple of days, and I did manage to do a little work while there. 

I check in and the first thing I read is a the post above where Steve is trying to SELL Suzy on some cream that would seem to make the crotch area tingle a bit.  Well, I started to make some off the wall smart A$$ comment, but figured I would go back a couple of pages and catch up before doing so...glad I did

Congrats to those who put it on the line this weekend.  Haven't read the reports yet, but sounds like some great times and great races.

2009-07-14 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2285606

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
DougRob - 2009-07-14 7:35 PM As far as your derailleur goes it sound like the cage may be misaligned. The adjustments control the range of movement of the cage and therefore usually affect the largest and/or smallest gears. If more than one intermediate gear is giving you problems then the cage may be pulling the chain out of alignment. Have an LBS look at it. It is a quick fix.

x2  I took my bike in last week for a tune up...the first in 4 years.  My gears were less than smooth, and now it feels like i am riding a NEW bike...it is awesome and the best 20$ I have spent on my bike in a while.
2009-07-14 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

That sounds priceless!  I would be laughing my a$s off too.
2009-07-14 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2285432

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2009-07-14 6:18 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-14 6:07 PM

Karen

Hey Karen

Karen, which suit did you get if you went with wetsuitrental.com and they sent you the Synergy, the one I got seemed to be the thickest wetsuit I have seen, also very easy to get on and to move it around to where you need it.

Suzy, you have to read the labels on the various creams, each seem to contain something different. Chamois Butter seems to be very benign.  I use it libreally on long rides and no issues to speak of....

Writing this from hotel in Omaha, Nebraska today.  Will be back in town tomorrow, have to push off my 6 mile run, heading out here in a few to a good steak dinner and a few drinks.

Up to 27 miles this week, not much for superwoman SuzyLaughing but it's a lot more than I have done before.

Have you looked at my run mileage lately?  Now that I am a triathlete and NOT a marathoner,  a big week is 30 miles and most are around 22-25m.  I was depressed about it early on, but now I like 100 mile bike weeks just as much.  I think I am pretty much done with stand alone marathons, so I will let you, Sam, Roni, Chet and Kim carry that torch.

Just wait until Lowell has you hit your first 40 mile week!

PS I am signing up for Boston just in case I change my mind in '11.
2009-07-15 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning group - It's Weds.  I hope everyone's training is going well.  I have been such a slug this month.  I think mentally I knew I had a break b/t my HIM in June and my marathon in Nov.  I start that plan in 2 weeks and can't wait.  I have been coasting and I probably wouldn't care except I want to do well at my next tri July 26.

Ok I hope you all don't mind if I whine for a moment but I have been trying to trim down a bit and drop some pounds before I start my fall plan.  Has anyone struggled to get weight off even with the high level of activity and keeping calories in check.  I have certainly gotten in better shape and changed a clothes size since I started all of this 2 years ago but it has been painfully slow and nothing dramatic.  I don't think I've lost more than 5 lbs. on the scale. 

It is incredibly frustrating esp. being female (ie men seem to be able to drop weight much easier).  No offense Tony but I'm going to use you as an example.  He gets off his butt after a few years of online gaming and geta on the tri bandwagon.  We work out about the same and we both eat well.  He's lost about 40lbs. and looks great over the past year.  I have the same weight still clinging to me.  I'm trying the nutrition coaching thru BT.  I tweaked a few things and tried to rebalance my meals but I haven't had to make big changes in my diet.  So what now?  I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.  Is there anyone else in the same boat?

2009-07-15 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Sam:

Instead of focusing on weight alone, take your body measurements, e.g., waist hips, thighs, etc. As I am sure you know, muscle is denser than fat. If you have only lost 5 lbs, I am willing to bet that your body composition has changed over the past to years to the point where your actual volume has decreased significantly.

One other thing is that it is hard to balance the nutrition you need to train and compete with a diet paln intended to lose weight.

Does this help?

Oh, BTW: the family and I are heading to the greater DC area 8/16-? I am doing a tri (probably 8/15 on the way up so I will have my bike and gear with me.) Do you and Tony want to go for a training ride? I know the area having lived there for 13 years. Let me know.

Doug
2009-07-15 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2286352

User image

Expert
DougRob - 2009-07-15 8:38 AM Sam:

Instead of focusing on weight alone, take your body measurements, e.g., waist hips, thighs, etc. As I am sure you know, muscle is denser than fat. If you have only lost 5 lbs, I am willing to bet that your body composition has changed over the past to years to the point where your actual volume has decreased significantly.

One other thing is that it is hard to balance the nutrition you need to train and compete with a diet paln intended to lose weight.

Does this help?

Oh, BTW: the family and I are heading to the greater DC area 8/16-? I am doing a tri (probably 8/15 on the way up so I will have my bike and gear with me.) Do you and Tony want to go for a training ride? I know the area having lived there for 13 years. Let me know.

Doug

Thanks - I wish I had taken measurements way back when but I didn't  LoL

I know things have gotten a little better since my clothes fit better but still I'm looking for something more than baby steps. 

As far as the training ride - I will check w/ Tony.  There is a chance we may be out of town that weekend.  If we are in town, I'm sure at least one of us can get free for a ride.  Smile  Also during the week may be easier if you are here for the week.  Let us know when you have your final dates.
2009-07-15 9:23 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Sam:

It will definiely be DURING the week. The race is on saturday. we will be in Rockville through tuesday or wednesday and then head to NJ for a few days before returning back south. So monday or tuesday would be great days to ride for me.
2009-07-15 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2286287

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
sdalessio - 2009-07-15 7:19 AM Good morning group - It's Weds.  I hope everyone's training is going well.  I have been such a slug this month.  I think mentally I knew I had a break b/t my HIM in June and my marathon in Nov.  I start that plan in 2 weeks and can't wait.  I have been coasting and I probably wouldn't care except I want to do well at my next tri July 26.

Ok I hope you all don't mind if I whine for a moment but I have been trying to trim down a bit and drop some pounds before I start my fall plan.  Has anyone struggled to get weight off even with the high level of activity and keeping calories in check.  I have certainly gotten in better shape and changed a clothes size since I started all of this 2 years ago but it has been painfully slow and nothing dramatic.  I don't think I've lost more than 5 lbs. on the scale. 

It is incredibly frustrating esp. being female (ie men seem to be able to drop weight much easier).  No offense Tony but I'm going to use you as an example.  He gets off his butt after a few years of online gaming and geta on the tri bandwagon.  We work out about the same and we both eat well.  He's lost about 40lbs. and looks great over the past year.  I have the same weight still clinging to me.  I'm trying the nutrition coaching thru BT.  I tweaked a few things and tried to rebalance my meals but I haven't had to make big changes in my diet.  So what now?  I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.  Is there anyone else in the same boat?

Sam, there are a few of us here that have lost a few lbs over the last few years....One of the big things for my was portion control. Once I started to watch my portions, with all the exercising, the lbs started to melt off. But you mentioned calorie watching so I think that option gets throw out.
That being said, since March I have put about 5 lbs back on. I have beeb a bit reckless with my eating though. I justify it to myself when I go 'off the plan' that I need the extra calories for training. If you are reasonably close to your body's 'ideal weight', it is hard to lose weight.  I bet though when you get hardcore into the marathon training you'll start to she some there. As well you are new to your nutrition planning, so give that some time???

Tony on-ling gaming as in poker?? I love you..I got into that quite a bit as well. Once the kids starting coming along, it was harder and harder to play. But man I had some late nights on FT and PS back in the day.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383